South by South Bronx

South by South Bronx

3.15 of 5 stars 3.15  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  10 reviews
“Powerful. . . . A redemptive and absorbing work.”—The New York Times Book Review, on Spidertown

“Scary, sexy, exuberant. . . . Rodriguez has seized a truth of our times . . . and given us a crackling good read.”—Los Angeles Times Book Review, on Spidertown

“Rodriguez uses the repetitiveness of life in the ghetto itself to make the tension and desperation of Spidertown achin...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Akashic Books

To ask other readers questions about South by South Bronx, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about South by South Bronx

Izetta Autumn
Abraham Rodriguez has created a novel that harkens back to classic noir. He writes, as one reviewer has suggested, with a "syntax all his own." Without a doubt, this unusual syntax, makes South by South Bronx an engaging, if at times, difficult read. The general plot (beware of spoiler), is that a white womyn who turns out to be a rogue agent, climbs into the bed of an alcoholic womanizer. From there, her presence turns South bronx upside down: causing the upstanding detective in the book to tur...more
Guy Gonzalez
This is one of those books I'm not smart enough to "review," but I highly recommend it for fans of modern noir with a twist. In this case, the twist is a staccato, poetic flow that might take some getting used to, but 25-30 pages in, Rodriguez hits his stride (or, more likely, I finally met his pace) and delivers an intricately layered, literary gut punch of a novel. 25 pages from the end, I missed four trains on purpose this morning in order to finish it before getting to work!
Michelle
The last 100 pages or so came together nicely but it was a positive slog to get through the rest, not enough energy or coherent language to make me want to keep picking it up. The editing was so awful and the stylistic choices made by the author were painful.
Yahaira
Apr 29, 2008 Yahaira is currently reading it
Still on the fence about this one. Not so sure I like his style of writing. However, as the story unfolds I find myself becoming intrigued with the interconnecting characters storylines.
Emily
so far, I don't like it very much, it's taken this many pages and I'm still not that into it. I hope that in the next 50 pages I'll like it, if not it's going back to the library.
Vanessa
South Bronx a place where Monk faced with a drug dealer who he knows stole money and is being chased. does he wrong from right or good vs evil?
Zach
Rodriguez spills poetery across the page in loving sprinkles.
Not only is this a stellar Noir mystery novel, it's a beautiful piece of writing,
Alan
Nov 19, 2008 Alan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Alan by: Publisher had booth at Brooklyn Street Fair
Great modern noir mystery set in the South Bronx told from multiple perspectives.
Ero
Clever & enjoyable contemporary noir.
Pam
May 10, 2008 Pam marked it as to-read
Shelves: new-york-mystery
05/09/08 purchase at MOTB
Misty
Misty is currently reading it
Jul 22, 2014
Andrew Lovell
Andrew Lovell marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Dawn Chapman
Dawn Chapman marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
JD
JD marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Jace
Jace marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2013
Mike Rasbury
Mike Rasbury marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2013
Jay Espy
Jay Espy marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2013
Nick Reynolds
Nick Reynolds marked it as to-read
May 09, 2013
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2013
Phil
Phil added it
Mar 29, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Author Abraham Rodriguez Jr. is an author well-versed in the hardships of city life. Born and raised in the Bronx, New York, he has opened the doors of inner-city America to the world by writing about an environment he knows best: his own.

Mr. Rodriguez is best known for his books The Boy Without A Flag, a 1993 New York Times Notable Book of the Year, and Spidertown, winner of a 1995 American Book...more
More about Abraham Rodriguez Jr....
Spidertown The Boy Without a Flag: Tales of the South Bronx The Buddha Book: A Novel A füves füzet