Start by marking “Legacy” as Want to Read:
Legacy

Legacy (The Way #3)

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  2,500 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
Bear's stunning creation, The Way--a tunnel through time and space, with exits into a million different versions of Earth--has intrigued readers for years. In this SF blockbuster, the Way is further explored, when a young Hexemon agent is given the assignment to investigate the illegal emigration of 4,000 Naderites to this world.
Published May 1st 1995 by Tor Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Legacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legacy

Adam Heine
The writing was great, the world and the science was amazing, but the way the story was told just didn't work for me. I felt like it was 400 pages of setup for an interesting climax that still let me down a little. The narrator felt detached and inactive, which may have been entirely intentional for the plot, but it left me feeling the same way: detached and inactive.
Russ
Dec 14, 2010 Russ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the sequel to Eon and Eternity.

Actually, it's a prequel. It's told in the first-person by Olmy, one of the major characters from the previous books. In this book Olmy travels through a gate in the Way (the artificial universe in the center of a hollowed-out asteroid) to a world called Lamarckia.

The book is an interesting blend of social commentary and world-building. Essentially a group of religious fanatics leave their homes (where they can have every comfort or desire) and go to c
Charles
May 27, 2010 Charles rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-and-gone
Disappointing. The first two books were really cool. They had ADVANCED TECH. Well, this book is a prequel. While the main society has the same tech, a splinter group who are kind of like Quakers(don't like advanced tech) leaves and goes to world with a different type of evolution. The world is also low on metal. This philosophy and lack of metal means a science that is early 20th century or earlier. I tend not to like "low tech SF". This doesn't really do the steampunk thing, either.

The differen
Blossom
Jan 17, 2014 Blossom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic Sci Fi novel, but told with such brilliant vividness that I couldn't put it down until 3am.

Legacy follows the Life of Olmy: a member of the Way Defense on a gargantuan ship called Thistledown, until he is assigned to do recon on an Earth-like planet named Lamarckia.

Greg bear is thorough in his exploration of human society and what would really happen if a small group of humans were really to start over on a new planet. From the societal factions and shortcomings of people, to mile-long S
David
Nov 30, 2016 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exciting

I thought this book was a SciFi book and I guess it was but it was so much more. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I hope that the next two will be as good.
Nicolas
On retrouve dans ce roman ser Olmy, mais à une époque antérieure, et de loin, à celle de Eon ou d’Eternité. C’est donc un jeune homme, à peine sorti de la défense de la Voie, qui se retrouve projeté sur une planète où l’évolution a suivi un processus lamarckien plutôt que darwinien. Mais là n’est pas la seule différence, on pourrait citer la composition du sol (plus pauvre en minéraux, qui implique donc moins de ressources pour les plantes), une athmosphère légèrement différente, et un peuplemen ...more
Arminzerella
Olmy Ap Sennon is sent on a secret mission by the Hexamon to the world Lamarckia. He is to discover the whereabouts of a group of colonists who traveled there secretly several years ago – unbeknownst to anyone. They followed a strict Naderite, Lenk, into this new world and settled there. One of them was able to steal part of the tool that enabled them to leave the Way (an attachment to their large space colony) in the first place and he returned to Thistledown (the space colony). That is the fir ...more
Eric
Jul 01, 2013 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The third book of the Way series, and a loosely-related prequel to Eon (Way #1), Legacy features Olmy of the Hexamon, being given his first major and long-term mission which involves a potentially one-way trip to Lamarckia, an Earth-like planet upon which some dissidents of the Hexamon have elected to colonize. Unlike book #2, you don't have to have read either of the prior Way novels to enjoy this book. There will be a few spoilers if you didn't read book #1, but nothing all that severe. The fi ...more
Paveshen
Nov 25, 2012 Paveshen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Legacy is a prequel to the first two books of Greg Bear's Eon series. His creation of an entire world somewhat similar and yet hugely different to Earth is compelling and scientifically fascinating.

Lamarkia is physically similar to Earth in terms of size, climate and geography. The biology though is literally out of this world. There are only a handful of genetically distinct life-forms on Lamarkia that may grow to the size of continents. Each of these ecos as they are called are complete self-
Patrick Gibson
I purchased "Legacy" mainly because I had read Eon and Eternity...and was hoping for a book that would give me the good stuff that Bear is capable of and didn't fully deliver in Eternity. Be Warned though: Legacy abandons a great deal of the fascinating elements of EON.

The thread linking these books is very thin - that was disappointing...but the quality of Legacy goes beyond either of the other two books.

It reminded me a great deal of the grand adventure novels of an earlier age. Even a littl
Robert
Mar 10, 2015 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've only read a couple of Bear's books and picked this one because I had a personal copy from the SciFi Book Club. I found it interesting and it appears it was basically a stand alone story although it was book 3 of the Way series. We find Olmy, from the Hexamon, visiting a planet that was populated by a group of humans some hundreds of years back to see what is going on. He arrives in a village that has just been destroyed by a secondary political force on the planet. The remainder of the stor ...more
Serbma
Jun 25, 2011 Serbma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A change for me from mysteries and political intrigue. When i started on this book i wasn't sure whether i would or could finish it. However, as thick as this book was i finished it quickly. Every time i picked it up i was transported into another very well described world. The action sequences that were strategically interspersed in the story were exciting and fun to read. After "edge of your seat" action, there were passages of character revelation, scene discription...Breathing room before th ...more
Rowena
Feb 04, 2014 Rowena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
On a vast asteroid known as a planetesimal, the rulers of Axis City have discovered a portal - The Way - that links to hundreds of thousands of other planets. A rogue group of citizens have vanished on to one such planet, Lamarckia where the alien biology known as "ecos" are extraordinarily alive. However, the effect of human interaction on these ecos could be devastating, especially as the rogue group has reverted to the old human ways of war, and greed. Axis citizen Olmy ap Sennon is sent to L ...more
holy_fire
getting to know Ser Olmy better...

short plot description: a young Olmy takes a (possible one-way) mission to the planet Lamarckia which has been settled by a group of defectors opening a gateway in the Way. The original plan called for Olmy to observe and then report back but soon he finds it harder and harder not to get involved...

my thoughts: first this is only a prequel in the sense that the novel uses Thistledown, the Way, the gateways to other worlds and Ser Olmy who plays a major role in t
Peter
An amazing surprise: A few years ago I came off Kim Stanley Robinsons Mars Trilogy with an appetite for more Mars. Walking into a bookstore there was a book called Moving Mars by Greg Bear. I knew off him, but had never read any of his work.

I was mesmerized by the far thinking plot of political struggle of the Martians as they try to seperate themselves from the domination of the Earth/Moon system. It actually made for good "continuation" of Robinsons colonization trilogy, because when we meet t

Sarebear
Dec 30, 2011 Sarebear rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Was much more of a slog to get through than the previous two books; I kept going, just, because I was just interested enough.

Still, I think the main character wasn't as well written; he seemed to be almost bipolar, or practically so, given his wide shifts in feelings/views over the course of the book, his attitudes about stuff and no none of these shifts seem related to what's happened, they don't feel like character development. He just sees things a different way and doesn't even think about o
Derek Daigle
Jun 12, 2016 Derek Daigle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little bit of a departure from the first two inclusions in the trilogy; this prequel goes back to Olmy's early days as he attempts to move up in hierarchal ranking in Thistledown. Where the first two were undeniably a space-themed science-fiction, this one was more of a 'Treasure Island' adventure theme to it. Of course the sci-fi element is still there, but is more of a biological analyzation of ecosystems completely different from Earth, as opposed to the play with quantum physics and dimens ...more
Adam Rodgers
Michael Hirsch
Oct 05, 2014 Michael Hirsch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Very good. I Ned to read the rest of this series.

I like the world building in the book. The world is Lamarkia in which, true to its name, evolution went along a path of inheritance of acquired characteristics--a now discredited theory on earth. The world is quite well done and the characters quite rich.
Stacey
Apr 14, 2014 Stacey rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It was as if this story was written by a less experienced author. It was a poor attempt to tie what was essentially a collection of fantastic and overly described inhabitants of a fantasy environment into an existing series. If the inhabitants had been the precursors to the Jarts, it may have made more sense. Huge disappointment after the first two novels of The Way.
Radu Stanculescu
I probably would have liked this more had it not been part of "The Way" trilogy. It really could have been a standalone book with very few modifications. Instead I went into it expecting something, anything, linking it to the "Eon" and "Eternity" storylines and was a bit disappointed by the lack of connections.
Gene Bales
I enjoyed this book on and off, but probably not as much as if I had read Bear's other science fiction novels. I had a hard time getting into the story, and a hard time keeping characters clear. It also seemed too long overall. Despite all this, I don't think I have ever come across such an interesting idea for a non-Darwinian planet. An interesting view of life and its evolution.
Pamela
Aug 22, 2015 Pamela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
It turns out this is the back end of a trilogy even though it is a prequel. Regardless it seems to be OK as a stand alone book. I had a very strong Dr. Seuss meets humans vibe throughout this book. In essence this explores the colonization of an Earth-like world and what humans may do to that environment.
Daniel
Feb 12, 2015 Daniel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Huge disappointment. Was hoping for a prequel to "Eon," which is what the cover claimed. While set in that universe, it is a long and not particularly interesting story about a bunch of rebels who have established themselves on a weird planet. Much of the book takes place on a ship and he goes on and on about sails and masts. If I wanted "Moby Dick" I'd read that instead.
Frederick Gault
Sep 10, 2012 Frederick Gault rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I started reading hoping for a space opera, but instead found a yarn about the strange biology of a newly discovered planet and the complex political life of it's inhabitants. Bear's imagination and attention to detail are amazing, but in the end I just couldn't care about the planet or it's people. The story was good enogh to keep me reading, but I was relieved when it was finished.
Keith Diamond
Feb 15, 2013 Keith Diamond rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
s with Greg Bear's other novels, this was up to his usual standard and the third in the series of Eon. It was inspiring and easy to follow and take in the story. The characters were real and rememberable. The three books in this series is worth anyones reading time and comes very well reccommended. It is one that inspied a short story of my own and was a satelite story fir a potential novel.
Paul Hollis
This was a disapointing read from the usually reliable Bear. The best part of this book was the very discriptive way that Bear brought another world to life but too much of the book was on a boat and at times felt more like a O'Brien adventure.
Mike
May 05, 2015 Mike rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was okay, nothing bad, but nothing great. When I wasn't reading it, I was happy to pick it up and read more but after a while I had had enough. It wasn't a book that you couldn't put down, however I really wanted to get back to it after some time away from it.
Jason
Feb 15, 2010 Jason rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I enjoyed this book, but I didn't think it was as good as the previous books in the series. I really like how Greg Bear creates such different and fascinating life forms and the interactions between them.
William Miller
Sep 23, 2012 William Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually enjoyed this third book of the trilogy a bit better than the first two. It's a prequel to the storyline found in books two and three, telling the story of the earlier years of the protagonist, and his adventures on a harsh world that is little understood by its settlers.
  • Cosm
  • Ring (Xeelee Sequence, #4)
  • Brightness Reef (Uplift Storm Trilogy, #1)
  • The Light of Other Days
  • Moonwar (The Grand Tour, #6; Moonbase Saga, #2)
  • Cold as Ice  (Cold as Ice #1)
Greg Bear is one of the world's leading hard SF authors. He sold his first short story, at the age of fifteen, to Robert Lowndes's Famous Science Fiction.

A full-time writer, he lives in Washington State with his family. He is married to Astrid Anderson Bear. He is the son-in-law of Poul Anderson. They are the parents of two children, Erik and Alexandra.

More about Greg Bear...