Legacy

Legacy (The Way #3)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  1,701 ratings  ·  48 reviews
The Way. It's a tunnel through space and time, and it changed humanity forever. The entrance is through the hollow asteroid, Thistledown, and the space station Axis City that sits at its center. From there the Flawships ride the center of the Way, traveling to other worlds and times. Wars are being fought on the Way, against the mysterious alien race called the Jarts, who...more
Published June 1st 1995 by Tor Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Legacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legacy

Rowena
On a vast asteroid known as a planetesimal, the rulers of Axis City have discovered a portal - The Way - that links to hundreds of thousands of other planets. A rogue group of citizens have vanished on to one such planet, Lamarckia where the alien biology known as "ecos" are extraordinarily alive. However, the effect of human interaction on these ecos could be devastating, especially as the rogue group has reverted to the old human ways of war, and greed. Axis citizen Olmy ap Sennon is sent to L...more
Adam Heine
The writing was great, the world and the science was amazing, but the way the story was told just didn't work for me. I felt like it was 400 pages of setup for an interesting climax that still let me down a little. The narrator felt detached and inactive, which may have been entirely intentional for the plot, but it left me feeling the same way: detached and inactive.
Blossom
Classic Sci Fi novel, but told with such brilliant vividness that I couldn't put it down until 3am.

Legacy follows the Life of Olmy: a member of the Way Defense on a gargantuan ship called Thistledown, until he is assigned to do recon on an Earth-like planet named Lamarckia.

Greg bear is thorough in his exploration of human society and what would really happen if a small group of humans were really to start over on a new planet. From the societal factions and shortcomings of people, to mile-long S...more
Russ
This book is the sequel to Eon and Eternity.

Actually, it's a prequel. It's told in the first-person by Olmy, one of the major characters from the previous books. In this book Olmy travels through a gate in the Way (the artificial universe in the center of a hollowed-out asteroid) to a world called Lamarckia.

The book is an interesting blend of social commentary and world-building. Essentially a group of religious fanatics leave their homes (where they can have every comfort or desire) and go to c...more
Arminzerella
Olmy Ap Sennon is sent on a secret mission by the Hexamon to the world Lamarckia. He is to discover the whereabouts of a group of colonists who traveled there secretly several years ago – unbeknownst to anyone. They followed a strict Naderite, Lenk, into this new world and settled there. One of them was able to steal part of the tool that enabled them to leave the Way (an attachment to their large space colony) in the first place and he returned to Thistledown (the space colony). That is the fir...more
Patrick Gibson
I purchased "Legacy" mainly because I had read Eon and Eternity...and was hoping for a book that would give me the good stuff that Bear is capable of and didn't fully deliver in Eternity. Be Warned though: Legacy abandons a great deal of the fascinating elements of EON.

The thread linking these books is very thin - that was disappointing...but the quality of Legacy goes beyond either of the other two books.

It reminded me a great deal of the grand adventure novels of an earlier age. Even a littl...more
Eric
The third book of the Way series, and a loosely-related prequel to Eon (Way #1), Legacy features Olmy of the Hexamon, being given his first major and long-term mission which involves a potentially one-way trip to Lamarckia, an Earth-like planet upon which some dissidents of the Hexamon have elected to colonize. Unlike book #2, you don't have to have read either of the prior Way novels to enjoy this book. There will be a few spoilers if you didn't read book #1, but nothing all that severe. The fi...more
Nicolas
On retrouve dans ce roman ser Olmy, mais à une époque antérieure, et de loin, à celle de Eon ou d’Eternité. C’est donc un jeune homme, à peine sorti de la défense de la Voie, qui se retrouve projeté sur une planète où l’évolution a suivi un processus lamarckien plutôt que darwinien. Mais là n’est pas la seule différence, on pourrait citer la composition du sol (plus pauvre en minéraux, qui implique donc moins de ressources pour les plantes), une athmosphère légèrement différente, et un peuplemen...more
Paveshen
Legacy is a prequel to the first two books of Greg Bear's Eon series. His creation of an entire world somewhat similar and yet hugely different to Earth is compelling and scientifically fascinating.

Lamarkia is physically similar to Earth in terms of size, climate and geography. The biology though is literally out of this world. There are only a handful of genetically distinct life-forms on Lamarkia that may grow to the size of continents. Each of these ecos as they are called are complete self-...more
Charles
Disappointing. The first two books were really cool. They had ADVANCED TECH. Well, this book is a prequel. While the main society has the same tech, a splinter group who are kind of like Quakers(don't like advanced tech) leaves and goes to world with a different type of evolution. The world is also low on metal. This philosophy and lack of metal means a science that is early 20th century or earlier. I tend not to like "low tech SF". This doesn't really do the steampunk thing, either.

The differen...more
Serbma
A change for me from mysteries and political intrigue. When i started on this book i wasn't sure whether i would or could finish it. However, as thick as this book was i finished it quickly. Every time i picked it up i was transported into another very well described world. The action sequences that were strategically interspersed in the story were exciting and fun to read. After "edge of your seat" action, there were passages of character revelation, scene discription...Breathing room before th...more
Peter
An amazing surprise: A few years ago I came off Kim Stanley Robinsons Mars Trilogy with an appetite for more Mars. Walking into a bookstore there was a book called Moving Mars by Greg Bear. I knew off him, but had never read any of his work.

I was mesmerized by the far thinking plot of political struggle of the Martians as they try to seperate themselves from the domination of the Earth/Moon system. It actually made for good "continuation" of Robinsons colonization trilogy, because when we meet t

Michael Hirsch
Very good. I Ned to read the rest of this series.

I like the world building in the book. The world is Lamarkia in which, true to its name, evolution went along a path of inheritance of acquired characteristics--a now discredited theory on earth. The world is quite well done and the characters quite rich.
holy_fire
getting to know Ser Olmy better...

short plot description: a young Olmy takes a (possible one-way) mission to the planet Lamarckia which has been settled by a group of defectors opening a gateway in the Way. The original plan called for Olmy to observe and then report back but soon he finds it harder and harder not to get involved...

my thoughts: first this is only a prequel in the sense that the novel uses Thistledown, the Way, the gateways to other worlds and Ser Olmy who plays a major role in t...more
Sarebear
Was much more of a slog to get through than the previous two books; I kept going, just, because I was just interested enough.

Still, I think the main character wasn't as well written; he seemed to be almost bipolar, or practically so, given his wide shifts in feelings/views over the course of the book, his attitudes about stuff and no none of these shifts seem related to what's happened, they don't feel like character development. He just sees things a different way and doesn't even think about o...more
Adam Rodgers
Art
Jul 07, 2014 Art marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
want to read after reading EON
Stacey
It was as if this story was written by a less experienced author. It was a poor attempt to tie what was essentially a collection of fantastic and overly described inhabitants of a fantasy environment into an existing series. If the inhabitants had been the precursors to the Jarts, it may have made more sense. Huge disappointment after the first two novels of The Way.
Keith Diamond
s with Greg Bear's other novels, this was up to his usual standard and the third in the series of Eon. It was inspiring and easy to follow and take in the story. The characters were real and rememberable. The three books in this series is worth anyones reading time and comes very well reccommended. It is one that inspied a short story of my own and was a satelite story fir a potential novel.
Frederick Gault
I started reading hoping for a space opera, but instead found a yarn about the strange biology of a newly discovered planet and the complex political life of it's inhabitants. Bear's imagination and attention to detail are amazing, but in the end I just couldn't care about the planet or it's people. The story was good enogh to keep me reading, but I was relieved when it was finished.
Gene Bales
I enjoyed this book on and off, but probably not as much as if I had read Bear's other science fiction novels. I had a hard time getting into the story, and a hard time keeping characters clear. It also seemed too long overall. Despite all this, I don't think I have ever come across such an interesting idea for a non-Darwinian planet. An interesting view of life and its evolution.
Rafael
Completely unlike the previous 2 books in the series. Which made it more attractive to read, but really the story doesn't quite stand up to the other 2. It is a good read in its own right and I wish the history of it didn't depend on the prequels. He could have written it as a stand alone.
William Miller
I actually enjoyed this third book of the trilogy a bit better than the first two. It's a prequel to the storyline found in books two and three, telling the story of the earlier years of the protagonist, and his adventures on a harsh world that is little understood by its settlers.
Jason
Some dessert after the Washington bio....
Well, really crappy dessert, it turns out. Bear really let me down. Eon haunted me down the years since reading it in high school. But this is just...lame. One cool idea taken to ridiculous lengths and with no payoff.
Paul Hollis
This was a disapointing read from the usually reliable Bear. The best part of this book was the very discriptive way that Bear brought another world to life but too much of the book was on a boat and at times felt more like a O'Brien adventure.
Sally
Interesting. This is not a sequel as such but a tangental spin off in completely different style. The degree of detail is impressive and the story line quite riveting however there are times when you just want to get to the end.
Jason
I enjoyed this book, but I didn't think it was as good as the previous books in the series. I really like how Greg Bear creates such different and fascinating life forms and the interactions between them.
Dev
All Bear's stories are challenging and thought provoking, though sometimes to the point of headache inducing as one tries to wrap his mind around mathematical constructs that actually exist.
Alex
Huge letdown, not at all like the first two (excellent) instalments. I didn't even finish it. Skip this one if you can, but the others are great if you like this sorta thing.
Long Williams
It is a 'The Way' book but a really early prequel to the Patricia Vasquez dilogy. Did not rate as highly because it sort of got confused in plot as the book went along.
  • Tides of Light (Galactic Center, #4)
  • Ring (Xeelee Sequence, #4)
  • The Light of Other Days
  • Moonwar (Moonbase Saga, #2)
  • Orbital Resonance (Century Next Door, #1)
  • Brightness Reef (Uplift Storm Trilogy, #1)
  • The Naked God 2: Faith (Night's Dawn 3)
Greg Bear is one of the world's leading hard SF authors. He sold his first short story, at the age of fifteen, to Robert Lowndes's Famous Science Fiction.

A full-time writer, he lives in Washington State with his family. He is married to Astrid Anderson Bear. He is the son-in-law of Poul Anderson. They are the parents of two children, Erik and Alexandra.

More about Greg Bear...
Foundation and Chaos (Second Foundation Trilogy, #2) Eon (The Way, #1) The Forge of God (Forge of God, #1) Darwin's Radio (Darwin's Radio #1) Blood Music