Start by marking “My Friend the Enemy” as Want to Read:
My Friend the Enemy

My Friend the Enemy

Hating the Japanese was simple before she met Sogoji.

Pearl Harbor was bombed on Hazel Anderson’s birthday and she’s been on the lookout for enemies ever since. She scours the skies above Mount Hood with her binoculars, hoping to make some crucial observation, or uncover the hideout of enemy spies.

But what she discovers instead is a 15-year-old orphan, hiding out, trying t
Published August 14th 2007 by Yearling (first published July 12th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about My Friend the Enemy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Friend the Enemy

Sarah Crawford
Jan 25, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a young adult book that takes place in Oregon during World War II. Hazel, 11, is one of the main characters along with her older sister Estelle. The other major character, Sogoji, is an orphan Nisei, meaning he is an American citizen born of Japanese parents.

The problem is that this takes place after the Japanese Americans were sent to the internment camps. Sogoji remained behind, which was an illegal act. A white couple is taking care of him.

The book centers around Hazel's initial hatre
Abigail Duryee
Oct 14, 2013 Abigail Duryee rated it it was amazing
"My Friend the Enemy" by J.B. Cheaney is a story about the conflict at Pearl Harbor and World War II from the point of view of an 11 year old girl named Hazel Anderson. On Hazel's 9th birthday, Pearl Harbor was bombed. Every day in the 2 years that followed, Hazel was on the look-out for 'Japs'. She shared the view of most Americans, thinking that the Japanese were only out to attack and take over the world. When her older friend and neighbor Jed volunteered for the Marines, she was furious that ...more
Debbie Brown
An interesting look at WWII from a child's perspective living in the state of Washington.
Hailey
Jan 07, 2017 Hailey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very heartwarming in my opinion. Read for a history project, would read it again just for the heck of it.
Betsy
This is my favorite (so far!) of Janie Cheaney's middle grade novels. I loved the characterization (and a main character who was a girl but to whom boys could relate as well), the dialogue (so hard to do well!), the glimpse into a little known part of WWII history (aftermath of Pearl Harbor on the NW Coast; Japanese-American relations), the open ending (hopeful, but not too tidy/wrapped up artificially), the plot (wow! didn't see it coming!), etc.

That being said, I think it's a touch long for th
Celeste Spangler
Another not-a-bad-story-but-not-really-satisfying young-adult novel. I think what gets me about these books I've been reading recently (e.g. Stepping on the Cracks) is that there is no real character development. The people are just along for the ride as the authors try to describe what it was like in various civilian locations during WWII. While the description is mildly interesting, I think I learned more from the Authors Note at the end of My Friend, the Enemy than from from the story itself. ...more
Melanie
I truly enjoyed this book. However it does fall into the trap of typical historical-fiction for children: long drawn-out paragraphs of introspective thought that is not typical of children 12 and under, nor are children this age going to read this. But this is a fabulous book, nonetheless.
Carol Hahn
Jan 16, 2015 Carol Hahn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the story. It would be a great way for anyone, especially for students in the middle grades, to get a view of life during WWII for those in the USA. It also addresses the situation of Americans of Japanese descent during these years.
Alice
Jan 08, 2011 Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great story of friendship and patriotism. I would recommend for 5th or 6th grade and up.
Annie
Oct 28, 2010 Annie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced, exciting!
Noor
Feb 05, 2011 Noor rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book waS ok ... The ending didnt evennsay what happened to everyone ... I did kinda enjoy it
Joshua
Jun 02, 2011 Joshua rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it was historical and interesting. I liked how the American girl and Japanese boy made friends together.
Sara
Aug 03, 2009 Sara rated it really liked it
Again, a good book but not one of my favorites. I really enjoyed reading it because of the time period but I must admit this book was also really easy for me.
Chris
Feb 06, 2009 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its good so far its cool that the main character knows so much about the war
Niasia
Mar 27, 2009 Niasia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is a really good book if you didnt read this book yet you should
Kasey Rhee
Kasey Rhee rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2012
Ms. Kara
Ms. Kara rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2014
Suzy-Q
Suzy-Q rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2015
Bethe
Bethe rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2011
Rebekah Palmer
Rebekah Palmer rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2016
Amber H
Amber H rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2017
Claire
Claire rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2015
Audrey
Audrey rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2011
Clarica
Clarica rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2009
Jayd
Jayd rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2009
Josh
Josh rated it liked it
May 08, 2013
Wanda Jones
Wanda Jones rated it it was ok
Nov 18, 2010
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2014
Valerie Parker
Valerie Parker rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
J. B. Cheaney’s The Playmaker was named one of Booklist’s Top Ten First Novels for Teens. She and her husband live in the Ozarks of Missouri.
More about J.B. Cheaney...