Start by marking “Memorial Day (Mitch Rapp, #7)” as Want to Read:
Memorial Day (Mitch Rapp, #7)

Memorial Day (Mitch Rapp #7)

4.3  ·  Rating Details ·  34,619 Ratings  ·  754 Reviews
#1 New York Times bestselling author of American Assassin—soon to be a major motion picture

Fighting terrorism on foreign ground, CIA superagent Mitch Rapp does whatever it takes to protect American freedom in this blistering political thriller from #1 New York Times bestselling author Vince Flynn.

CIA intelligence has pointed to a major terrorist attack on the United States
Published May 4th 2004 by Atria Books

Tom
Jan 15, 2009 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here's my review system--I score on four categories and average them together for the number of stars. The four categories are: character development (are the characters deep and complex, plot (is it interesting), voice (is the narration smooth and engaging) and cliche level (is it predictable.)

Character development: 3 stars-- No surprises here...thriller stuff...not a ton of depth

Plot: 3 stars-- Okay...some suspense but no great twists

Voice: 5 stars-- Great--pleasant to read

Cliche level: 2 star
Richard
Feb 16, 2014 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
8/10

After a lacklustre outing in the previous book it was good to have Mitch Rapp back up to full throttle. If anything, this was Mitch Rapp turned up to 11.

The plot was everything you could want in this sort of story, a one man army interrogating hostages to find out about a plot to let some big bombs of in Washington on Memorial Day and then the fun and frolics of trying to stop these events from unfolding.

I say this was Mitch Rapp turned up to 11 because, well he doesn't like terrorists in a
Linda Munro
Oct 16, 2012 Linda Munro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vince Flynn's novels concerning the American Assassin Mitch Rapp are amongst my favorite books to read. I originally grabbed a Flynn novel off the new fiction book rack at my local library and immediately fell in love with author and his Mitch Rapp character which lead me to read every book in the Mitch Rapp series.

Mitch Rapp is a low-profile, non-documented CIA operative who is sent around the world to hunt and kill terrorists bent on destroying the United States. He is the person we all want o
Charles Stone
Vince Flynn has gone too far! At least that’s what the Dept of Energy thinks. The Department of Energy keeps track of our nuclear weapons. Memorial Day was too exacting in it’s details that the agency put the book on “security review” because they suspected that maybe Flynn’s sources may have told him some classified information. It was probably over something boring.

I can imagine some pencil necked geek saying, “How doe's he know what the blast radius of a 20 Kiloton nuclear weapon is?“

Mitch Ra
Toni Osborne
Feb 08, 2009 Toni Osborne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The nation's capital is buzzing with Memorial Day preparations. Despite the energy of the city, CIA operative Mitch Rapp senses trouble and the intelligence gathered is pointing to a major terrorist attack on the United States. Rapp wants to get to the sources and immediately leaves for Afghanistan, where he leads a Special Forces unit on a daring commando raid across the border into a remote Pakistani village. Their target: an Al Qaeda stronghold, once there, Rapp and his team discover plans fo ...more
Allan Smulling
Aug 10, 2011 Allan Smulling rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another satisfying romp with one of my favorite 'cut through the red tape and get things done' characters; Mitch Rapp. This time Mitch is confronted with the threat of a nuclear device being detonated in the nation's capital. The regular Vince Flynn themes are present... Politicians are not experts in protecting our country; the Patriot act is a good thing; Islam is a peaceful religion except for the radical elements; and liberals are just getting in the way of truly protecting our great nation. ...more
Sarah Jan
Vince Flynn writes political intrigue better than anyone I've read. His main character, Mitch Rapp is a no bullshit type of guy who I really like. Flynn's knowledge of his subject matter really impresses me as being realistic, but if it's made up, he sure fools me. I think his books are all great reads although this may have been my least favorite so far. Maybe I'm getting over dosed on the overall concept but I think in the case of Memorial Day, I missed the personal interactions with his wife ...more
Sandie
Although liberals and the ACLU would no doubt be horrified by the tactics of our protagonist, Mitch Rapp, I firmly believe that the general population of readers will find themselves cheering his methods of extracting information as he attempts to track down a group of terrorists attempting to cripple the infrastructure of the U. S. and kill hundreds of thousands by setting off an atomic device in Washington D.C. (No more plot details from here on).

My first Vince Flynn book, Term Limits, hooked
Mary
Mar 22, 2011 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I had been against the torturing of suspected and/or known terrorists before reading this book, I would not be now. It's a terrific thriller and totally relevant to the current times in which we live. It isn't always pretty and most of the time horrendously ugly and violent but there are times when extraordinary measures are appropriate for the sake of winning a war against an incredible evil.
Kacey
Jan 28, 2008 Kacey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vince Flynn writes about a character called Mitch Rapp who is a tough go-get-em kinda guy. Total tough guy that gets the job done. I love a good character series and Flynn creates a great series with this character. All the books are good!
Boundless Book Reviews
I can describe Memorial Day simply with “action-packed intensity,” but that would make for a boring review, wouldn’t it?.

First of all, this is one of the very rare occasions where I picked an audio book both my husband and I enjoyed. We love listening to books on our road trips; however, it usually ends up with him listening to something about vampires, or me becoming terrified by something by Stephen King. Thanks to Flynn, that didn’t happen this time. We both loved this book!

An exciting story
Erin
Jan 28, 2012 Erin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was too formulaic for my tastes. All characters were nothing short of arrogant, ego-driven, "superstars". They were sickishly more attractive, more athletic, more intelligent, and more connected than 99.99% of the real world population. They were spending an impossible 26+ hours a day working yet still managed to have time to be in impeccable physical condition. Not a single character managed to say anything insightful nor did they possess the ability to be introspective about their ci ...more
Rajan
If those very people knew of the existence of the Facility they would fly into an indignant rage that would result in the partial or complete destruction of the CIA. These haters of America’s capitalistic muscle wanted to analyze what we had done to evoke such hatred from the terrorists, all the while missing the point that they were using the logic of a seedy attorney defending a rapist. The woman had on a short skirt, sexy top, and high heels—maybe she was asking for it? America was a rude and ...more
Monty
Apr 25, 2013 Monty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series just keeps getting better. Yes, the characters tend to be one-sided in that they are wearing either white or black hats. Yet, the story moves along quickly with a peppering of personality clashes, shady politics, subplots, much tension--you know the drill. The author makes the story complex enough so that, even when you know what's going to happen, you don't know how it's going to happen. At this point I am hooked on this series and will go on to the next one.
Kelly
Aug 16, 2012 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, thrillers
I love this genre...Vince Flynn is a master. Long live Mitch Rapp! :-)
Michael Redd
Aug 07, 2014 Michael Redd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another white knuckled thriller...after reading Baldacci's Zero Day with John Puller, it is too bad that Rapp and Puller couldn't meet...two bad asses who don't put up with BS.
Mr. Gottshalk
Jul 04, 2017 Mr. Gottshalk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, America's top-secret tough guy, Mitch Rapp, is at it again - this time trying to prevent the detonation of two nuclear bombs by Islamic terrorists - in the United States! I can't get enough of this series, and it's a darn shame that author Vince Flynn passed away a few years ago at a young age. These books make me wonder a few things: are there really people out there, taking care of the bad guys, while hundreds of millions of people in our country are kept in the dark about their operatio ...more
Michal Angelo
Aug 05, 2016 Michal Angelo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Released in 2004 this is something of a 'transitional' (or bridge) volume spanning the past and future (a la J.R.R. Tolkien's The Two Towers or Suzanne Collins' Catching Fire) but still an excellent read if you are a Mitch Rapp fan.
* In Memorial Day the action primarily flows--vortex like--around Mustsfa Al-Yamani, a Saudi-turned-terrorist intent on inflicting damage to America on Memorial Day that will far exceed Pearl Harbor and 9/11 combined.
* If you are new to Vince Flynn I'd recommend some
ElaineY
Nov 17, 2015 ElaineY rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK; NOVEMBER 18, 2015
Narrator: George Guidall

After the last 2 books, I was a little anxious about how the series would go. Thankfully, Memorial Day restored some semblance of assurance that Flynn won't let me down. One positive sign was that Anna wasn't present though Mitch is still wrestling with his wife's unhappiness over his career and is constantly telling her he's sorry.

I enjoyed the bomb threat plot, or rather, I enjoyed Rapp's 'take charge not take shit' attitude and his
Will
Jun 05, 2013 Will rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Action junkies
Recommended to Will by: Perhaps Mitch Rapp's Finest Hour
Shelves: mitch-rapp
Fred
Dec 08, 2013 Fred rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fast paced read from Vince Flynn. Mitch Rapp is back to his old self in this this book. Very little time spent on his personal life and there is much more action then in his previous book, "Executive Power" Mitch gets involved first hand in some great black ops. His unwavering determination to do the right thing and not be concerned with politics gets him in some big trouble with the powers of Washington, As we've all come to realize, Mitch really doesn't give a s**t what anyone thinks, ...more
Leon Aldrich
Another Flynn novel that takes me back to my first reading of other greats like: The Day of the Jackal, The Dogs of War, Shibumi, The Ninja, The Brotherhood of the Rose and The Parsifal Mosaic.
Sean
Feb 07, 2010 Sean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to an incredible book. This book is unique in how it is written. It strongly lacks sophistication in writing style, however the reader is not affected because of the superb plot. The character development is adequate and gives enough information for you to understand the book. The characters are not developed enough to seem like a friend but developed enough so you know them. Overall this book wins a five out of five from me for its complex but easy to follow plot. A terrorist ...more
Sean
Mar 01, 2010 Sean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this anti-terrorism thriller, no-holds-barred CIA agent Mitch Rapp finds himself in a race against the clock – and his own beaurocratic government – to find and stop a terrorist nuclear strike at the heart of the country. Mitch is fighting against certain political appointees who don’t see things his way and can’t accept the means that are necessary to protect the country, and he certainly shows them who they’re messing with in fine style.

I really enjoyed this novel, as I have with all of the
The Cats Mother
7th in the Mitch Rapp series (if you include the 2 prequels), this one starts with him on a mission to raid an Al-Qaeda camp in Pakistan searching for known terrorists, and finding out about a plot to detonate a nuclear bomb in Washington.
The POV shifts between our hero, self-serving politicians and the terrorists, as well as some poor saps who are introduced only to be killed off in horrible ways. I found the first part, which is about the mission, kind of boring, but then once the chase was on
Jen
Feb 08, 2009 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: already-read
I liked it! They remind me a little of the Tom Clancy books, which are usually entertaining, so this was right up my alley for a quick, entertaining, action book. Mitch Rapp comes to the rescue yet again, saving America from not one, but two, nuclear weapons. And along the way, he gets to kick some radical terrorist butt with little regard for the rules (which fits, because terrorist have no regard for humanity, let alone rules), which is appealing to my sense of patriotism.

All in all, a fun, q
Cathy
Mar 04, 2012 Cathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the beginning of my love of Mitch Rapp...If you like politics, espionage and mystery you will enjoy this. I have read everything Vince Flynn has written and will not miss his new ones. For anyone who was a fan of Jack Bauer/24 tv show, you need to read this book and the many that followed. I was very suprised to learn Flynn did not write for 24, I was convinced he did. His books are page turners...the type of book that has you thinking 'one more chapter...just one more before I go to sl ...more
Jeremy
Dec 01, 2007 Jeremy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Six books in, and Vince Flynn continues to mature with every book. "Memorial Day" is also the first one of the Mitch Rapp novels that didn't seem out of date to me. Given the 'current events' type of nature regarding the subject matter, it would be hard (in my opinion) to keep these story lines from seeming old-hat.

Overall, this is a fast paced read that holds your attention and I am looking forward to reading the next in the series.
Speesh
Jun 29, 2017 Speesh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, terrorism
Or, Vince Flynn's version of The Sum of All Fears.

In contrast to most blockbuster films these days, which always seem to destroy New York (ok, sometimes San Francisco), Vince Flynn seems to have something against Washington DC. Explainable, understandable even, when thought of in association with his (maybe) views on many of those in the higher echelons of US politics. By writing about how corrupt many of them up there are, he's seemingly passing a social comment. It's not a new thought, and not
Stephen
Suspicious activity from some shady financial institutions hints that something big is about to hit the United States, and an investigation -- followed by a black ops abduction job in Pakistan -- reveals the scheme. On Memorial Day, as the entire US government gathers with the leaders of Great Britain and Russia to christen a new World War 2 monument, militant jihadists intend to set off nuclear explosions along the eastern seaboard, beginning with D.C. Only Mitch Rapp, an assassin in the employ ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Please add/update details 3 15 Mar 10, 2016 06:19AM
  • Blowback (Scot Harvath, #4)
  • Coup d'Etat (Dewey Andreas, #2)
  • The Ghost War (John Wells, #2)
  • Enemy of Mine (Pike Logan, #3)
  • The Assassin (Ryan Kealey, #2)
  • Divine Justice (Camel Club, #4)
The fifth of seven children, Vince Flynn was born in St. Paul, Minnesota, in 1966. He graduated from the St. Thomas Academy in 1984, and the University of St. Thomas with a degree in economics in 1988.

After college he went to work for Kraft General Foods where he was an account and sales marketing specialist.

In 1990 he left Kraft to accept an aviation candidate slot with the United States Marine C
More about Vince Flynn...

Mitch Rapp (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • American Assassin (Mitch Rapp, #1)
  • Kill Shot (Mitch Rapp, #2)
  • Transfer of Power (Mitch Rapp, #3)
  • The Third Option (Mitch Rapp, #4)
  • Separation of Power (Mitch Rapp, #5)
  • Executive Power (Mitch Rapp, #6)
  • Consent to Kill (Mitch Rapp, #8)
  • Act of Treason (Mitch Rapp, #9)
  • Protect and Defend (Mitch Rapp, #10)
  • Extreme Measures (Mitch Rapp, #11)