Start by marking “Over Here: The First World War and American Society” as Want to Read:
Over Here: The First World War and American Society

Over Here: The First World War and American Society

The Great War of 1914-1918 confronted the United States with one of the most wrenching crises in the nation's history. It also left a residue of disruption and disillusion that spawned an even more ruinous conflict scarcely a generation later.
Over Here is the single-most comprehensive discussion of the impact of World War I on American society. This 25th anniversary editi
Published October 7th 2004 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published October 23rd 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Over Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Over Here

Mark Bowles
Aug 30, 2014 Mark Bowles rated it really liked it
A. Synopsis: This book discusses the events in the USA during their 19 month participation in WWI. The war is used as a window into American society. The main theme is the departure of the USA from isolation. The ended 150 of diplomatic practice. The American involvement in this war served as a prologue to WWII.
B. Prologue: Spring 1917
1. Examination of the war from 1914-17 in Germany, France, England, Russia, America. German submarine warfare, Zimmerman telegram and the US enters.
C. The war for
Frank Stein
Nov 16, 2011 Frank Stein rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book that lives up to its claim to be a comprehensive study of the American character as seen through the lens of the First World War. While attempts to divine the "American character" typically lead to metaphysical maunderings or abstract speculations, Kennedy loads this book with fascinating narratives which seem to make his points without much authorial emphasis. He allows only a few choice pieces of analysis to illuminate subtler aspects of his story.

For instance, Kennedy notes h
David Bates
May 23, 2013 David Bates rated it really liked it
“What follows is in many ways a sad story, a tale of death, broken hopes, frustrated dreams, and of the curious defeat-in-victory that was Woodrow Wilson’s, and the nation’s, bitter lot.” So begins Over Here: The First World War and American Society, an exploration of the influence of the First World War on American society. Kennedy’s main emphasis is the fracturing of the Progressive Left during the war and its consequences for the country and the world. Based on letters, diaries, and official ...more
Rick
Mar 05, 2008 Rick rated it it was ok
Shelves: history
Kennedy explains how the US Executive branch and the large factions of American society: big labor, big capital, racial groups, and the political parties dealt with the challenge of existing in a world gripped by mass warfare. The central focus is on how each of these attempted to use the war to further its own interests.

Over Here is predominantly a densely worded, though solidly, originally researched political/economic history. Kennedy details the interplay among factions and policy that shape
Piker7977
Dec 08, 2015 Piker7977 rated it it was amazing
In Over Here David M. Kennedy gives a superb analysis of a nation at war. Involved in this study are the examinations of America's economics, finance, politics, and the country's military build up during the Great War.

This story encompasses as vast amount of details and investigates many important factors of the American and global political systems. A few examples include the Federal Reserve Act, the American Merchant Marine, the Selective Service Act, the progressive income tax, and the Treat
James Hatton
This is a good history of how the First World War affected the United States. It’s worth reading. I’m happy I read it. I recommend it. However, and I can’t quite put my finger on it, there’s something amiss in the presentation. The prose doesn’t flow, rather it stutters. At times, it’s boring. For such an important period in United States history, I think it could have been written so as to draw the reader through that period. It wasn’t. So, three stars.

Note this too. This book is not about the
Riff Denbow
Arrogance in its universal state! You can feel the author's grand self-regard and insufferable arrogance speaking to you through the words. I felt when reading it like the man was sitting in the room talking to me like I was some sort of ignorant, foolish, xenophobic, sexist, anti-labour, imperialistic, militaristic, materialistic, (et cetera et cetera) monster (false, mostly, accusations), and he the light of knowledge and correct opinions and haughty moral superiority. Even when you held the s ...more
Martin
Dec 22, 2013 Martin rated it it was amazing
David M. Kennedy is one of the best historians in the U.S. This study of American society during the First World War confirms my view; it's another marvelous synthesis of military, political, economic, social and cultural history along the lines of 'Freedom From Fear,' Kennedy's Pulitzer Prize-winning overview of the Great Depression and Second World War.

In 'Over Here' Kennedy analyzes the ugly parts of U.S. history many of us might rather pretend never happened, like the crackdown on dissent an
Tim Brown
Mar 25, 2015 Tim Brown rated it really liked it
An eye-opening read in terms of what I learned about the amount of federal power seized on account of the war, then retained afterward, affecting every area of socio-economic life. Came away from this book with an intense dislike of Woodrow Wilson, a self-important, sanctimonious prick. Not unlike the current White House occupant.
Laura LeAnn
Jun 30, 2012 Laura LeAnn rated it liked it
Shelves: thesis, non-fiction
Excellent book about the effects of the US entrance into World War I, albeit extremely late, on US society. We are still seeing the results of the effect of our entrance into World War I, even as it is the far less studied and written about world war. It also affected the return of the US soldiers after World War I.
Stacy  Sturdevant
Jan 27, 2015 Stacy Sturdevant rated it it was amazing
Shelves: done
A wonderfully written and informative book about the social, cultural, political and governmental differences and changes all stages of the war. I strongly recommend this book for anyone who desires to understand such an important period of time that changed the world forever.
Cadie
Oct 10, 2015 Cadie rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
It was an interesting read. Pre this book and class that it was for I didn't know much about WWI. It was also interesting to see that many of the things that we take for granted as having always existed, like the federal reserve and income tax, had their foundation in or around WWI.
columbialion
Jan 11, 2010 columbialion rated it really liked it
Recommended to columbialion by: Self
Seldom revealed or discussed history of the civil rights abuses in the USA resulting from it's entry into WWI
Clare
Sep 30, 2014 Clare rated it liked it
The sections on politics were far too dry for me, but I don't really like politics. The epilogue was beautiful.
Dave Ermer
Dave Ermer rated it it was ok
Jan 04, 2015
Hunter Wilde
Hunter Wilde rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2017
albert wesker
albert wesker rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2015
Janna
Janna rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2015
Chris Sorensen
Chris Sorensen rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2013
April
Feb 26, 2013 April rated it it was amazing
One of the best books on the era of the First World War.
Timothy
Timothy rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2011
Fernando
Fernando rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2014
Ewedereit
Ewedereit rated it it was ok
Jan 14, 2013
Samantha Guzman
Samantha Guzman rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2013
Eric Tremante
Eric Tremante rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2014
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
May 19, 2012
Deanne
Deanne rated it it was ok
Aug 11, 2012
Chris Kooken
Chris Kooken rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2013
Patrick Kelly
Patrick Kelly rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2017
Jesus Alabin
Jesus Alabin rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2016
  • Making a New Deal: Industrial Workers in Chicago, 1919-1939
  • A Fierce Discontent: The Rise and Fall of the Progressive Movement in America, 1870-1920
  • 1915 The Death Of Innocence
  • Homeward Bound: American Families In The Cold War Era
  • Labor of Love, Labor of Sorrow: Black Women, Work, and the Family from Slavery to the Present
  • The Legacy of Conquest: The Unbroken Past of the American West
  • Cataclysm: The First World War as Political Tragedy
  • The Search for Order, 1877-1920
  • The Seventies: The Great Shift In American Culture, Society, And Politics
  • Stories of Scottsboro
  • The Fall of the House of Labor: The Workplace, the State, and American Labor Activism, 1865-1925
  • The Grounding of Modern Feminism
  • The Populist Moment: A Short History of the Agrarian Revolt in America
  • Eye-Deep In Hell: Trench Warfare In World War I
  • Europe's Last Summer: Who Started the Great War in 1914?
  • American Crucible: Race and Nation in the Twentieth Century
  • The Sixties: Years of Hope, Days of Rage
  • Sites of Memory, Sites of Mourning: The Great War in European Cultural History
David Michael Kennedy is an American Pulitzer Prize-winning historian specializing in American history. He is the Donald J. McLachlan Professor of History Emeritus at Stanford University[1] and the Director of the Bill Lane Center for the American West. Professor Kennedy's scholarship is notable for its integration of economic analysis and cultural analysis with social history and political histor ...more
More about David M. Kennedy...

“The very fates seemed arrayed against the President’s party. Death claimed eight Democratic Senators during the 65th Congress, thinning their already sparse majority. Perhaps the cruelest blow of all was the accidental shotgun killing of Wisconsin’s Paul O. Husting on a duck-hunting trip in October 1917. Husting, the first Democrat sent to the Senate from Wisconsin in more than twenty years, had been elected in 1914; in the normal course of events his seat would not have been contested again until 1920. Democratic retention of this one seat would have meant a Democratic Senate in 1919–20, which might have had quite different consequences for the passage of the Versailles Treaty and the history of the postwar world. But it was not to be.” 0 likes