Start by marking “Regeneration (Species Imperative, #3)” as Want to Read:
Regeneration (Species Imperative, #3)

Regeneration (Species Imperative #3)

With the alien Dhryn cutting a pathway through the inhabited spaceways-bringing about the annihilation of many of the races who have the misfortune to lie along the star trail they are following-time is running out for all sentient life-forms. Can biologists Mackenzie Connor and Emily Mamami solve the riddle of the Dhryn before their part of the galaxy becomes as dead as ...more
Published March 6th 2007 by DAW (first published March 6th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Regeneration, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Regeneration

Angela
Dec 21, 2008 Angela rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
Janice
Dec 09, 2008 Janice rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi

This is the third and final book in the "Species Imperative" series, and I recommend all three of the books. The main character is a salmon researcher, and heads a facility off the NW coast of either Canada or the U.S., not sure which, several hundred years in the future. There are several species of aliens who play major roles in these stories, and they are creatively drawn. The earth is under threat from one of the alien species, and solving who the threat is and them eliminating that threat i
Dwagon
Jul 29, 2012 Dwagon rated it it was amazing
A wonderful conclusion to an outstanding series! What we've got here is a cranky scientist, Mac, who just wants to spend more time with her data -- but who isn't gonna get it. The series gets off to a slow start, but after a while, you can't help loving her character.

Overall, Julie Czerneda has outdone herself this time. The trilogy is full of what she does best: fun and fascinating aliens. It's also got several lovable characters who it is just plain fun to spend time with. This book is a stron
Jessica Snell
Oct 25, 2011 Jessica Snell rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Regeneration is the end of a trilogy, and I think I liked it even better than the trilogy that ended with To Trade the Stars. The science part of the sci-fi was heavily weighted towards the biological, and Czerneda’s alien species were fascinating. I also loved the main character, and found her interaction with her students and friends so charming that my children learned the teasing chant, “No ribs for Mac! No ribs for Mac! Mac gets salad and BEER!” (Um, guess you had to be there.) Anyways, ...more
Erika
Jul 30, 2011 Erika added it
Love this series - very attached to the characters, there's a bit of historical sci-fi mystery thrown in, along with suspense and ... Just go read it. And Czerneda is a Canadian biologist. Love. (Also read Jack McDevitt if you like this sort of book).

No ribs for Mac! Mac gets SALAD and BEER!!
Elizabeth
Dec 06, 2013 Elizabeth rated it liked it
A solid end to a well-written, if overly detailed, trilogy. I would only recommend this series to someone who's a World-Building Super Fan. Czerneda is much more concerned with backstory and characterization than plot, and while that's usually a good thing, a bit more balance would be nice. Still, the last 200 pages were very compelling.
Jeff
Oct 24, 2012 Jeff rated it it was amazing
Good trilogy all around, really good trilogy if you are a biology nerd (like me.)
Trisha
Jul 13, 2014 Trisha rated it it was amazing
Rebecca
Dec 30, 2008 Rebecca rated it liked it
The plot was becoming a little convoluted by this part in the series, and there was a little too much going on. There were loops that kind of went off in various directions, like they were going to be very important, but they never really circled back. I can't tell if these were leftovers from early ideas that didn't get used later and weren't taken out in editing, or perhaps these side trails will be used in a spinoff series later, focusing on a different set of characters. It felt like there ...more
Mike
Oct 11, 2012 Mike rated it it was ok
First comment about this book is, make sure you have read the first two books in the series, I think you will struggle to follow things if you haven't.

Regeneration was okay and it was probably my least favourite book in the trilogy. The book starts slow, I found most of the first 25% boring, it just didn't go anywhere fast. This was very similar to Survival and like Survival it picked up and became quite a page turner. However when it reached the end I had difficulty following it and found it a
Raja99
Jan 30, 2008 Raja99 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beba
So in the end it all comes down to this. It's unfair to say "I really liked it," but I did like it a little more than average. Probably 6/10.

I liked it because it was fun spending some more time with these characters. I liked it because there was a short section about a party that blew me away: It wasn't critical to the plot, but it was deftly written and planted some seeds ... in a very small number of pages. If Czerneda's work was always at that level, I'd count her as one of the best. Unfortu
Eugene
May 15, 2013 Eugene rated it liked it
This book was pretty slow going, and the plot by the end got quite convoluted. Mac, the main character, spends most of her time saying she needs to get to a certain planet and ends up never going there. In the rambly plot there are some really good scenes, particularly the going-away party and the descriptions of the alien messaging system. The book eventually gets to a quick and dramatic ending like the other books in the series, but I didn't like it as much as the others.

Like all the books in
Robert
Mar 01, 2015 Robert rated it liked it
Page 6 of the first volume: "...the western coast of the Pacific, from the Bering Strait to Tierra del Fuego" – I learnt right from left at an early age, but I still occasionally have trouble with east and west, and yet here is one of my favourite authors apparently telling me Tierrra del Fuego on the west coast of the Pacific! I confess this rankled with me and possibly put me off Book 1 (Survival), but it did get better.

As a whole, I still think "Species Imperative" is not as good as her other
Keith
Jul 09, 2016 Keith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Regeneration" is probably the most exciting and action-packed book in the Species Imperative Trilogy. All the characters have been drawn, all the stages have been set, and now it's time to let the story be told. Mac and her friends, both alien and human must face the treats to the Interspecies Union, defeat the enemies of all life forms, and try to prevent the various species involved from going at each other in the process. This all plays out in page-turning action that sometimes was missing ...more
victoria.p
A fun and exciting finish to this trilogy, though either I wasn't reading carefully enough (always a possibility) or the characters made some leaps of logic that didn't seem supported by the evidence they had at the time, because I was confused a couple of times by how they figured something out.

I guess the thing I really liked about these books - the characters who seem to start out primarily as antagonists or just sketchy mostly end up having more depth. Oversight, Fourteen, even Norris revea
Mark
Aug 31, 2007 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A satisfying finish, but it wandered a bit. There were things that happened that *seemed* important to the plot, but really didn't have any impact. Took longer to get going than I thought it would.

I find that happens more than I'd like -- author seems to write themselves into a corner and then wanders a bit trying to write themselves out (if you can excuse the mixed metaphors). Unfortunately, after 700 published pages, you've got a commitment to finish the story and probably a publisher wanting
Pan
Nov 29, 2008 Pan rated it liked it
A good read, though a little confusing with too many primary and supporting characters. I like the use of thoughtful science and the humanity shown by the main characters, but I prefer more depth and less of a crowded caste in a story. It seems trite when its mostly dialogue and drama on ten different frequencies, but then again that isn't my favored style of writing either. Czerneda would do well to focus more on a few people without throwing so many in that we start to feel claustrophobic.
Terry
Jun 05, 2010 Terry rated it really liked it
An excelllent finale for this series, continuing the character studies and biological extrapolations. Mac is an engaging, complex character who carries the story skillfully and Myg and Mudge are fleshed out beyond caricatures. The themes of determination and sacrifice continue in this final volume.
Sharondee
Jan 20, 2012 Sharondee rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I guess I'm over this series already. I typically don't like aliens with my sci-fi but Ms. Czerneda brought me into the fold by doing such a natural job of weaving their characters into her first two books. But this third one broke the spell somehow. I'd just had enough and took it back to the library unfinished.
Lisa
May 05, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I enjoyed reading this series and was sad that it had to end. This is such a great adventure and Mac is a very powerful character. In this story, you gain a bond from the friendship Mac has developed throughout the series. It is fun and exciting as well as answering those difficult questions that occur.
Teresa
Jul 03, 2012 Teresa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
In the culmination of the Species Imperative trilogy, Mackenzie Conner figures out the mysteries that have been plagueing her, only a salmon researcher, for the past several months. All the ends and tied up, she gets the guy and is finally able to get back to those salmon. An excellent, character-driven science fiction novel.
Barbara
Feb 12, 2010 Barbara rated it liked it
This was a fun series to read. I thought that the voice changed substantially between book 1 and book 3. I still enjoyed the wonderful character development - the friendship between Mac and Emily, the creative aliens and their quirks. But it felt to me like we went from Space Opera to something Doug Adams might have written over the course of the series. Like I said, still fun to rea.
Francine
Mar 18, 2014 Francine rated it really liked it
This was a very good wrap up of the 3-part story. The characters are lively and believable. There is lots of drama, interspecies adventures, the drive for truth and justice, romance, spies and ecological themes.

Many thanks to Andrea G.H. for the recommendation of this author and her series.

Cindywho
Jan 07, 2011 Cindywho rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sf
The third installment did lag a bit in the middle and occasionally the humor was forced, but when the story was exciting, it ripped along. I often couldn't wait to get back to the story to see what Mac and all her alien friends were up to. I'm definitely going to pick up some more Czerneda.
Matthew
May 28, 2014 Matthew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
A worthy end to the series. I went in with some expectations that turned out to be incorrect. That was probably more my fault than the author's. Overall, I found the world of the series very interesting, and I enjoyed the characters.
Tani
Jan 01, 2015 Tani rated it it was amazing
A very satisfying culmination of a series I enjoyed a lot. Julie Czerneda has a real gift for making me connect with her characters, and although her pacing isn't perfect, I really enjoyed this book and this series.
Lindig
Jun 13, 2009 Lindig rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf
I skipped #2. This ending book ties it all up. The tone is fairly even and measured; lots of interesting aliens, one species is too powerful (not humans) but benevolent (a recurrent theme of hers).
Morgan McGuire
Dec 19, 2008 Morgan McGuire rated it liked it
This book winds up the trilogy (Czerneda's weakest, I'm afraid) in decent style, but the first half is painfully boring.
Bryan
Apr 30, 2010 Bryan marked it as unowned-to-buy
Shelves: ebooks, sf
Bought this ebook at fictionwise, but the publisher decided they wanted more money. Fictionwise refunded my money.
Hildegart
Apr 29, 2012 Hildegart rated it liked it
This series felt drawn out and the third book was not as good as the first two, in my opinion. Chop out part of book 2 and insert part of book three and it would have been better.
  • Rules of Conflict (Jani Kilian Chronicles, #2)
  • Shockball (Stardoc, #4)
  • Crossing the Line (Wess'har Wars, #2)
  • The Last Hawk (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #3)
  • Worldwired (Jenny Casey, #3)
  • Cauldron (The Academy, #6)
  • Necessity's Child  (Liaden Universe #16)
  • Probability Space (Probability, #3)
  • Recursion (AI Trilogy #1)
  • Pretender (Foreigner, #8)

Species Imperative (3 books)
  • Survival (Species Imperative, #1)
  • Migration (Species Imperative, #2)