Start by marking “So You Think You Know Jane Austen?” as Want to Read:
So You Think You Know Jane Austen?

So You Think You Know Jane Austen?

How well do you really know your favorite author? In this new book, ace literary detective turned quizmaster John Sutherland and Austen buff Deirdre Le Faye challenge you to find out. Starting with easy, factual questions that test how well you remember a novel and its characters, the quiz progresses to a level of greater difficulty, demanding close reading and interpretat ...more
Published August 1st 2005 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about So You Think You Know Jane Austen?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about So You Think You Know Jane Austen?

Alice
Mar 14, 2016 Alice rated it it was ok
En achetant ce livre de quizz et de questions, je m'attendais à quelque chose d'assez amusant, à un livre-jeu. En fait, les auteurs nous expliquent qu'il s'agit plus d'une méthode d'analyse et d'apprentissage. Pour chaque oeuvre, quatre niveaux de difficultés nous sont posés et même au premier niveau, il s'agit rarement de répondre par un seul mot ou deux ou alors on nous demande le nom du chien de Willoughby (Folly, by the way). Quant au quatrième niveau, nous sommes carrément dans l'interpréta ...more
Ds
Nov 27, 2016 Ds rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: misc, books-i-own
ITA-ENG
Ok. Probabilmente è un quiz da fare subito dopo aver riletto i libri. I dettagli minuziosi, come le rendite dei possedimenti o le doti, sfuggono alla mia memoria. Le domande sono abbastanza difficili, soprattutto quelle interpretative (e a volte non sono per niente d'accordo con le risposte fornite), però tutto sommato un buon quiz. L'unica cosa che non mi è piaciuta è che ogni tanto veniva fuori l'opinione molto personale (e poco accademica) degli autori.

Ok. So you should probably read t
Apr 16, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it
Who would have thought answering questions could be this fun? Three levels of questions, from “Did you read?” to “Did you understand?” to “How astute are you?” with very entertaining and insightful answers. Great for all levels of Austen readers.
Andrea Hickman Walker
I would never have believed I could disagree so profoundly with Deirdre le Faye. There are numerous interpretations in this book that I disagree with. There isn't even any space for, 'that's not what I think, but it's possible', most of the time I think the authors are just wrong. Occasionally there is one where I think they're being insightful or suggesting something that I've never thought of. But most of the time, I disagree with their interpretations.
Judine
Jul 23, 2008 Judine rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, austen
While I found the ideas and information presented in this book to be fascinating, I think there were times when the authors were trying too hard to bring something "new" to Austen's works. Some of their readings on the characters (especially Mr. Bennett in "Pride and Prejudice") seemed forced -- and not in keeping with the novel.
Jenny
Sep 15, 2007 Jenny rated it it was amazing
A must-read for...well, you know, I think that's pretty evident. I got this from Helen for my birthday, and I later used it on a long car trip with Allie, so all of us Austenites agree that there's much to learn from this book.
Amy
Nov 17, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jane-austen
Very entertaining. I really enjoy the different quiz levels for each of the books. I think it's helpful that answers to the questions are included. For the essay type questions, there aren't necessarily right or wrong answers but it's interesting to see what the authors had in mind.
Amy
May 09, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jane-austen
Karen
Mar 08, 2008 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Fun for all the Janeites. It also give great insight and explains some of the more obscure references.
Catherine
Catherine rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2015
xBookishladyx
xBookishladyx rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2014
Mo
Mo rated it did not like it
Jun 25, 2007
Lady Dixie
Fun quizzes about the great Miss Austen. Some of them are hard!
Erynn Kerwin Moss
Erynn Kerwin Moss rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2011
Chelsea
Chelsea rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2011
Chandrani
Chandrani rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2012
Sue Bee
Sue Bee rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2016
Cindy
Cindy rated it it was ok
Sep 30, 2010
Ingrid Morris
Ingrid Morris rated it really liked it
May 24, 2014
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2015
Pam
Pam rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2011
Andrea
Andrea rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Jenna
Jenna rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2008
Jonathan Farley
Jonathan Farley rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2015
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2010
Xjaneaustenfanx
Xjaneaustenfanx rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2013
Bookishlady
Bookishlady rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2016
Luciana
Luciana rated it did not like it
Oct 09, 2016
  • The Cambridge Companion to Jane Austen
  • Why Jane Austen?
  • Jane Austen For Dummies
  • Jane Austen: The World of Her Novels
  • 101 Things You Didn't Know About Jane Austen: The Truth about the World's Most Intriguing Romantic Literary Heroine
  • Charity Envieth Not (George Knightley, Esquire #1)
  • Jane Austen, Her Life and Letters: A Family Record
  • Jane Austen, Obstinate Heart: A Biography
  • The Friendly Jane Austen: A Well-Mannered Introduction to a Lady of Sense and Sensibility
  • Jane Austen: An Illustrated Treasury
  • Jane Austen's Guide to Good Manners: Compliments, Charades & Horrible Blunders
  • A Dance with Jane Austen: How a Novelist and Her Characters Went to the Ball
  • Jane Austen and Food
  • In the Garden with Jane Austen
  • A Truth Universally Acknowledged: 33 Great Writers on Why We Read Jane Austen
  • A Memoir of Jane Austen and Other Family Recollections
  • Anne Elliot, A New Beginning
  • The History of England
John Andrew Sutherland is an English lecturer, emeritus professor, newspaper columnist and author.

Now Emeritus Lord Northcliffe Professor of Modern English Literature at University College London, John Sutherland began his academic career after graduating from the University of Leicester as an assistant lecturer in Edinburgh in 1964. He specialises in Victorian fiction, 20th century literature, an
More about John Sutherland...