Start by marking “Nieve” as Want to Read:
Nieve

Nieve

3.54  ·  Rating Details ·  29,462 Ratings  ·  2,889 Reviews
Cuando la tormenta de nieve aísle la ciudad, nada podrá evitar un acto desesperado...

En pleno invierno, un poeta y periodista regresa a su ciudad natal, la remota ciudad de Kars en la frontera de Turquía, después de largos años de exilio político en Europa Occidental.

La ciudad que encuentra es un lugar conflictivo: hay una ola de suicidios de chicas a las que se les ha p
Published March 1st 2006 by Alfaguara (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Nieve, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Shaista Banu All through the book one can see that Ka's character, like that of most people in real-life, is flawed. His personal thoughts also reflect that. Add…moreAll through the book one can see that Ka's character, like that of most people in real-life, is flawed. His personal thoughts also reflect that. Add to that his desperation for Ipek and his intense desire to take her back to Germany with him. Considering these, it is quite possible for him to have revealed Blue's location to the police. Complacent and listless he may have seemed, but what strikes more after his meeting with Ipek is his desperation for a happy life. So, doesn't come across as contradictory to me. (less)

Hallie
Feb 28, 2008 Hallie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After finishing this book I felt virtuous, relieved. Then baffled, irritated, and finally dismissive. Other Good Reads reviewers express the desire to like this book, but proceed to be confused, bored, and insecure. Most wrap up with the dismal feeling that they didn’t GET it, and so didn’t succeed in really liking it. I felt the same, but in addition was supremely annoyed and turned off by it. I’m not so good at post-modern fiction to begin with, but I decided to leave my bias at the door becau ...more
N W James
Nine Reasons I (strongly) disliked this book:

1. The author made himself a character in his story. I just don't like that. I always wonder if they had writer's block and couldn't invent a fictional character to take the reins.

2. A snowflake diagram of poetry is involved. I'll say no more.

3. The men in this novel are whiny, infantile, and fall in love with every woman they encounter.

4. In the same paragraph the female lead character is described as seething in hatred and laughing adoringly at th
Darcy
Jul 24, 2007 Darcy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(view spoiler) ...more
hadashi
Apr 10, 2007 hadashi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This novel has won a zillion prizes, and has received deafening international acclaim for the way it takes on the clash of the Islamic fundamentalist East & secular West while retaining the humanity of its characters. I disagree.
The book starts out fine, but it devolves into this really odd stream-of-consciousness craziness that feels like a fever dream and makes little sense of events at the end. In addition, the narrator keeps telling you what’s going to happen – big stuff, like deaths, e
Zinta
Sep 02, 2007 Zinta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read a few sample pages of Snow in the bookstore, drawn by its blurry, snowy cover; drawn by a recent New York Times review; drawn by its non-westernized roots in Turkish writer Orhan Pamuk; drawn, too, by curiosity at this recent Nobel Prize winner for literature. The first few pages mesmerized me, the scene of a Turkish poet riding a bus through the snow capturing my imagination even as I left the bookstore.

"The silence of snow, thought the man sitting just behind the bus driver. If this we
Liza Bolitzer
Sep 02, 2007 Liza Bolitzer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to say, it's been a while since I liked a novel as much as this one and it's been even longer that I've had the chance to lie on a beach and read for a week, so I will say that you may want to take this review with a grain of sand. Pamuk reminded me of what really defines a novel, what moves it beyond a series of events and into a world and Pamuk's Kars is certainly its own world, full of characters whose degree of nuance is exactly as deep as those in a real place--in life you don't know ...more
Spider the Doof Warrior
Say you pay 100 dollars for good seats at a show. You're so excited and full of anticipation. You sit down in your seat and hear the familiar strains of the instruments tuning.
Only for the ensemble to sit, instruments in their hand doing absolutely nothing for 4 minutes and 33 seconds! 4 minutes and 33 seconds of COUGHING, fidgeting and someone shouting "When are they going to start?"
This is how this book is to me. You think it's going to be brilliant because it won a Nobel prize. Surely it shou
Jim Fonseca
Mar 03, 2016 Jim Fonseca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: turkish-authors
Written in 2002, this novel predates Pamuk’s winning of the Nobel Prize in 2006. The main character is a Turkish emigre, one of many who live in Germany. He is returning home after years away. We are told he ran into political difficulties with his poetry and decided to leave Turkey. He returns to Turkey ostensibly for his mother’s funeral, but he has also learned through the grapevine that an old flame of his is now divorced. His instinct is that this journey will change his life.

Once back in
Bill  Kerwin

The expatriate poet Ka returns to his native Turkey ostensibly to investigate a growing number of suicides among "head scarf girls" for an article in a German newspaper, but actually to reconnect with the beautiful divorcee Ipek whom he knew in college. While there, he is caught up in religious and political intrigue.

I thought the book was too long, and the characters didn't interest me much, but I really liked the way Nobel prize winner Pamuk creates the atmosphere of the small city of Kars (a
بثينة العيسى
رواية قديرة. استحقت كل ساعة أمضيتها معها. التجريب الذي مارسه باموق هنا في الكتابة بالصوت العليم، الذي هو في الباطن صوتٌ ذاتي، عظيمة. والشخوص المتراوحة ما بين قطبين متضادين، الشخوص المركبة والغنية والخصبة.. يستطيع المرء أن يكتب لأجلها كتبًا.

Ahmad Sharabiani
Kar = Snow, c2002, Orhan Pamuk (1952)
عنوان: برف؛ نویسنده: اورهان پاموک؛ برگردان: شهرام دشتی، مشخصات نشر: تهران، البرز، 1386، در 624 ص، شابک: 9789644425608؛ چاپ پیشین: با ترجمه: سیمین موحد؛ نشر ورجاوند، 1385، در 687 ص. شابک: 9647656572؛ ترجمه از متن انگلیسی؛ موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان ترک، ترکیه، قرن 21 م
برف اثر اورهان پاموک روایتگر داستانی عاشقانه است که در پس زمینه ی مشوش ترکیه امروز که سرشارست از تنشهای موجود میان سنت و اصلاح طلبی، دین و خدا ناباوری مدرن و…؛ اتفاق میافتد – داستانی عاشقانه که د
Stephanie
Nov 29, 2007 Stephanie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I would not have finished this book except for reading it for the book club. I haven't been this bored by a book in a long time.
Sotiris Karaiskos
Mar 14, 2017 Sotiris Karaiskos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Ως τώρα δεν είχα ασχοληθεί καθόλου με τον Orhan Pamuk, κάτι που είναι φυσικά ασυγχώρητο, οπότε εμπνεόμενος από τις καιρικές συνθήκες του φετινού χειμώνα επέλεξα να αρχίσω από αυτό εδώ το βιβλίο. Σε αυτό ο σπουδαίος Τούρκος συγγραφέας μας μεταφέρει σε μία μικρή πόλη στα βάθη της Ανατολίας για να μας δείξει μία μικρογραφία της τουρκικής κοινωνίας των τελευταίων δεκαετιών. Σε αυτή τη μικρή πόλη, λοιπόν, συνυπάρχουν όλες αυτές οι κατηγορίες ανθρώπων που συναντάμε στην Τουρκία, με τις ανησυχίες τους, ...more
Anna
Oct 21, 2016 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: around-the-world
Το βιβλίο είναι φάση η-μικρή-Αννούλα-πήγε-στη-δημοτική-βιβλιοθήκη-και-είπε-να-γνωρίσει-τον-κόσμο. Ακολουθεί επομένως κριτική ανάλογου επιπέδου.
Από καιρό ήθελα να διαβάσω έργο του Παμούκ και με μια μικρή έρευνα που έκανα (βασικά στο goodreads) είδα ότι όλα του τα βιβλία θεωρούνται το ίδιο καλά, οπότε διάλεξα το παρόν καθαρά από θέμα τύχης (η επίσκεψή μου στη βιβλιοθήκη δεν πρέπει να κράτησε πάνω από λίγα λεπτά). Ήξερα επίσης ότι ο συγγραφέας ζει στην Κωνσταντινούπολη και νόμιζα ότι όλα του τα β
Niledaughter
Apr 19, 2010 Niledaughter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: east-and-west, turkey
I read excellent reviews here ; which convinced me that I can not add any new ! but since I am a Muslim & An Arab ; I could feel a lot of the depth of this book which showed me Turkey with a very cruel -but caring- anatomy that even the brilliant sarcasm made it more painful! By considering this fictional book as a new and useful approach for me to what are not so far different wounds from ours ; I will write my words …

For me ; it is a magnificent novel , a heart breaking one ; discussing th
Kelly
Dec 29, 2008 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with an interest in Turkish politics, soul seekers, outsiders, writers
Owlseyes
Jan 06, 2012 Owlseyes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: turkish-lit

Surah Al-Ahzaab, Verse #59
‘O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks veils all over their bodies that is most convenient that they should be known and not molested: and Allah is Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful."

Ka is travelling by bus: a white scenario outside unfolds: it’s snow, relentlessly falling…and he falls asleep.

Ka, or Kerim Alakuşoğlu, a Turkish poet, returns to Kars, an old and small city north-east of Turkey. Kerim, a 42-year-ol
Shuhan Rizwan
জারমানির রাজনৈতিক আশরয় থেকে দীরঘদিন পরে নিজের শহর কারস-এ ফিরলো কবি কেরিম আলাকসুগুলু, একে আমরা কা নামেই চিনবো। পরের কয়েকটা দিন সেই ছোটটো শহর কারস একেবারে বিচছিনন হয়ে ছিটকে গেলো দুনিয়া থেকে। কেনো? না, দিন নাই- রাত নাই- সেখানে তুষার কেবল ঝরেই যাচছে, থামাথামি নাই। তুরকি ভাষায় তুষারকে বলা হয় কার, পামুকের ‘সনো’ তাই কারস শহরে কারের মাঝে কা’এর কয়েকটা দিনের গলপ।

কবি হলেও কা লোকটা নিজ শহরে ফিরেছে বলা যায় একরকম সাংবাদিকতা করতেই। কলেজ করতৃপকষের চাপে মাথার হিজাব খুলতে বাধয হয়েছে বলে আতমহতযা করেছে কজন মেয়ে (বল
Elizabeth (Alaska)
Apr 24, 2009 Elizabeth (Alaska) rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1001-books
This book came to my attention nearly 4 years ago, soon after I became a member of Goodreads. So, when it came up as an option for this quarter's challenge, I happily put it on my list. I was too stubborn to put it down.

The prose is pedestrian and uninteresting, occasionally boring. There is no real character development. The women are beautiful (or fat), and one of the important, but minor, characters has blue eyes. That doesn't count as character development.

My biggest objection, however, is
Heba
Aug 15, 2014 Heba rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
الثلج يندف على "قارص" لكى يغطى ذاك الوجه الشاحب لهذه المدينه البائسه
قارص" تلك المدينه التركيه الغارقه فى البؤس والفقر" _الممارسات العبثيه_ والفوضى السياسيه
والفصل القومى والعرقى وانقسام الأحزاب على ذاتها
لقد أبدع الكاتب " أورهان" فى هذه الروايه
من حيث الحبكه الروائيه وسرد الأحداث بكل سلاسه ودقه لا متناهيه فى وصف التفاصيل
استطاع الكاتب أن يكشف ذاك الصراع النفسى لدى كل شخصيات الروايه ببراعة
الشاعر "كا" البطل الرئيسى للروايه نظم تسعة عشر قصيده فى "قارص" الا واحده لم يتمكن من كتابتها كامله
تلك التى تحم
Marieke
This is my fourth Pamuk novel and the more of his work i read, the more i want to read his work. The first one i read, i read in college: The White Castle. All i can remember is that i really liked it and it made me want to read Pamuk (i need to re-read it now). Then a few years out of college, i got My Name is Red and tried to read it. This was well before goodreads and i didn't have anyone to save me from frustration, so i stopped reading it thinking i'd take it up later at some point. I read ...more
Nazmi Yaakub
Snow novel pemenang Hadiah Nobel (Kesusasteraan) 2006, Orhan Pamuk, diterjemahkan Maureen Freely, mengangkat kekeliruan manusia untuk mengakui kewujudan Tuhan dan mencari cinta sebenar di tengah-tengah pertembungan antara pemikiran Islam yang radikal dengan kebebasan idea Barat.

Berlatarbelakangkan kota kecil di kawasan pergunungan, Kars yang tersisih di timur Anatolia, Turki, novel ini menampilkan Kerim Alakusoglu atau lebih dikenali sebagai Ka, penyair yang menjadi pelarian politik di Jerman se
Jale
Dec 28, 2015 Jale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2015 biterken ve 2016'nın başlarında, üstelik Kars'a doğru yola çıktığımda okumaya başladım. Kar, Kars, hüzün ve terk edilmişlik duygularının kendini hissettirdiği romanda geçen yerleri aradım Kars sokaklarında. Tren garı, Karadağ oteli, çay ocaklarının bazıları, 400 yıllık köprü, hamam ve bahsettiği evler yerinde dururken Yeni Hayat Pastanesi'ni bulamadım. Benim için memleket kokulu kitaptır. Ve elbet de hüzün kokulu...
Elisa
Aug 28, 2011 Elisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Se penso al velo, mi viene in mente il chiacchiericcio televisivo nostrano sulla legittimità del suo uso da parte delle donne islamiche in territorio europeo. Al di là del legittimo discorso sulla sicurezza pubblica, spuntano come funghi le considerazioni delle donne di turno, interpellate semplicemente in quanto appartenenti al genere femminile (e quindi, capaci di proferir verbo per l'intera categoria, secondo la logica del talk show), sul pericolo che il velo costituisce per la dignità della ...more
Петър Стойков
Никак не е случайно, че Орхан Памук е 1. толкова известен напоследък и 2. е съден и едва не отива в затвора в Турция. Защото книгите му (ако съдя по тази), показват неща за родната му страна, които една незряла полу-демокрация като нея трудно може да признае пред себе си…

Турция от турските сериали като Листопад примерно, е Турция на цивилизованата столица, на красивите, образовани хора, на жените с пламенни погледи, облечени във Версаче и на мъжете-бизнесмени със скъпи костюми. Турция на светски
Lynne King
Feb 26, 2013 Lynne King rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
To have two abandoned books in one evening is not good. In fact this has never happened to me before.

However, I just didn't like this book at all and skimmed through it. The idea of this individual called Ka, a celebrated poet, who goes to Kars reporting on the elections and also checking on girls who commit suicides, I found somewhat bizarre. When I arrived at Chapter 8, "Girls Who Commit Suicide are not Even Muslims", well that just about finished it for me.

In my opinion, there were words leap
K.D. Absolutely
Apr 22, 2010 K.D. Absolutely rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die
It took me almost 2 months to read this book because for many times, reading it is like a chore. However, there are some brilliant parts so I continued reading hoping that there were lots of them especially in the last 50 pages. I was not disappointed. The last parts really made sense and Pamuk made sure that the political message like Turkey is in search of its own identity as a nation is well-entrenched in the mind of his readers.

But what country is not in search of her identity? Even the Phil
Tim
Jun 26, 2007 Tim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is gorgeously written, hypnotic, and probably too long. Snow permeates the book, and Pamuk's descriptions have the effect we get from noticing that it is snowing slightly outside--we get a small, pleasurable jolt of surprise that pulls us away from the action briefly. Of action there is much. The characters are trapped in the city of Kars, which serves as an effective external mechanism for putting pressure on them to act and interact. The book starts to get really interesting fairly e ...more
Chaitra
This is going to be a rant, even more so because this book is written by Nobel Prize Winner, honored for how he represents Turkey in his books. It made the NY Times Best Books for 2004. Where is the saving grace of this piece of junk trying to pass itself as a novel?

Ka, the pompous main character is probably the vilest creation I've come across in a while. That's an achievement, given how much I dislike most protagonists. This idiot is an exile, who comes back to Turkey for his mother's funeral.
Ayu Palar
Sep 29, 2009 Ayu Palar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Turkish poet coming home after his exile in Frankfurt goes to a city named Kars to meet the woman that he loves (or to be exact, he is obsessed with). If you’re familiar with Macondo in 100 Hundred Years of Solitude, you’ll find the same gloomy and mysterious atmosphere in Kars. Although, Kars is much much colder than Macondo since it’s surrounded by nothing but snow.

So, this poet known as Ka decided to visit Kars so that he can meet this beautiful woman called Ipek. While Galip in The Black
Around the World ...: * Discussion about Snow and Birds without Wings starts here 1 11 May 08, 2016 08:32AM
Should there not be a category " Abandoned half way" ? 2 24 Jan 15, 2016 02:37AM
kindle 3 98 Dec 10, 2015 02:14PM
Turkish Reading C...: Kar ile ilgili tartışma 11 64 Nov 12, 2014 05:20AM
comment 6 146 Nov 15, 2013 01:13AM
  • Memed, My Hawk (İnce Memed, #1)
  • Soul Mountain
  • Korkuyu Beklerken
  • The Successor
  • The Land of Green Plums
  • Nowhere Man
  • Fever and Spear (Your Face Tomorrow, #1)
  • Slow Man
Orhan Pamuk was born in Istanbul in 1952 and grew up in a large family similar to those which he describes in his novels Cevdet Bey and His Sons and The Black Book, in the wealthy westernised district of Nisantasi. As he writes in his autobiographical book Istanbul, from his childhood until the age of 22 he devoted himself largely to painting and dreamed of becoming an artist. After graduating fro ...more
More about Orhan Pamuk...

“Happiness is holding someone in your arms and knowing you hold the whole world.” 2977 likes
“How much can we ever know about the love and pain in another heart? How much can we hope to understand those who have suffered deeper anguish, greater deprivation, and more crushing disappointments than we ourselves have known?” 495 likes