Start by marking “The Evening of the Holiday” as Want to Read:
The Evening of the Holiday

The Evening of the Holiday

In the words of Time magazine, “A near perfect novel...a small masterpiece†by the author of The Great Fire

Passionate undercurrents sweep in and out of this eloquent novel about a love affair in a summer countryside in Italy and its inevitable end. It takes place in a setting of pastoral beauty during a time of celebration--a festival.

Sophie, half English, half Italian,
Published July 1st 2004 by Picador (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about The Evening of the Holiday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Evening of the Holiday

The Birth of Venus by Sarah DunantA Room with a View by E.M. ForsterThe Name of the Rose by Umberto EcoUnder the Tuscan Sun by Frances MayesThe Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri
Reading Italy
388 books — 139 voters
The Name of the Rose by Umberto EcoRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareIf on a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo CalvinoThe Divine Comedy by Dante AlighieriThe Leopard by Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa
Italy
651 books — 292 voters

More lists with this book...

Teresa
Jul 20, 2011 Teresa rated it really liked it
When you finish this book, pay no mind to the thought that the female main character's decision seems almost willful, without much to back it up. That aspect is not important to this short novel that gets stronger as it goes.

I'm always impressed when a novelist conveys characters' thought processes so well, but I'm even more impressed with Hazzard who can convey the thoughts of multiple characters by showing one's thoughts about another and then with one deft phrase, sometimes at the end of the
Violet wells
Aug 08, 2014 Violet wells rated it it was ok
The first ninety pages or so kept making me think that this was the kind of novel Elizabeth Bowen or Rosamond Lehman might have written when they were thirteen or fourteen. Too much sensibility and too little sense. And very dated, considering it was written in 1966. Towards the end it did finally acquire a sense of purpose and some architectural finesse but all in all i found it flimsy and disappointing. The Great Fire, however, I liked a lot.
notgettingenough
Nov 12, 2012 notgettingenough rated it really liked it
Shelves: modern-lit
Discovering a book or an author is one of the treats more likely to happen to you in foreign climes: you take your chances, pick something up that one wouldn't if inundated with a choice.

The plain fact is I'm not sure about this book. I don't understand the characters at all, especially the girl. And yet it was still an engaging - moving - read, this against a backdrop of Italy described as only a person who had a most intimate acquaintance with it could provide.

Maybe my uncertainty is the sig
Elaine
Apr 03, 2013 Elaine rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
This is almost a long short story, a novella, I guess, and it is slighter and more narrowly focused the other Hazzard novels I've read, even The Bay of Noon, which in some ways is a twin to this book. Nonetheless, Hazzard's craftsmanship is extraordinary, as always. Also, the book is as much a love letter to the Tuscan countryside as anything else (the real Tuscan countryside, inhabited by actual people, if of a generation ago - not the sticky-sweet droll comic confection of latter-day best-sell ...more
Trina
Aug 12, 2013 Trina rated it really liked it
This is a short, evocative novella about a summer romance in Italy after World War 2. I love Hazzard's writing--details of the landscape and the people, both the old nobility and the peasants, are interestingly portrayed. We know from the outset the love affair is doomed, but the way it proceeds, and the couple's driving around the Tuscan countryside, are lovely. Very quick but satisfying read.
Tom Meade
Feb 09, 2009 Tom Meade rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama
This is a lovely little book, scarcely more than a novella, that tells the story of a young woman who meets a controlling and self-important idle riche on a holiday in Italy and proceeds to fall in love with him against her better judgment.

Like Hazzard's other novels it takes as its starting point the stuff of dime novel romance, but as everyone knows the tale is in the telling. Unlike her later novels, which are largely concerned with men, here Hazzard allows access to both the male and female
Gracia
Aug 05, 2008 Gracia rated it really liked it
"The blue-tiled floor had been trodden into slight undulations, the shutters were the colour of red earth, and the furnishings were few and massive"... Shirley Hazzard's beautiful way with words took me to Italy in the summertime. As I read of Tancredi and Sophie's love affair I forgot it was winter and that I am in Melbourne.

"He thought, as he watched her, that in all his life he had never seen a more seductive thing than the unconsidered gesture with which she folded back her sleeve. He saw th
Deborah Biancotti
Jan 26, 2012 Deborah Biancotti rated it liked it
Shelves: writer-women, oz, aww2013
One of Hazzard's torturous, gothic romances with setting & tragedy leaving large marks across the text. It's a slight, sad book about a holiday romance. A perfect read for a holiday afternoon.

I admit I wanted more of a sense of place (it's set in Italy) & I spent several pages thinking its old-fashionedness implied it was set in the nineteenth century (it isn't).

But Hazzard's prose is so bittersweet & beautiful I forgive her most everything. This is what 'literary' writers are most
R A Lynch
Feb 23, 2016 R A Lynch rated it liked it
Having spent time in Italy, for me Hazzard conjures up sunny memories of that time. Her expression of the culture, from the cafes to the art of talking with your hands, carries the story expertly to its inevitable end.

The cobbled Roman road we are brought down takes us through the journey of a relationship growing, from disinterest to interest, and on to a moment of captivation, and then to love, first as a motivator and then as a burden.

We are reminded that holidays are breaks from real life,
Laysee
Jan 26, 2011 Laysee rated it liked it
Set against Tuscany’s elegant landscape is the fleeting romance of Sophie, a young Italian-British woman, and Tancredi, an older married man separated from his wife and children. Hazzard eloquently captured the indescribable pangs of love and found words for the incomprehensible, confusing, subtle, and unspecified. A romance so beautifully written you ache reading it.
Carolyn Mck
Mar 16, 2017 Carolyn Mck rated it really liked it
When Shirley Hazzard died last year I decided to re-read her work. I used to own a number of her books but culled them when I moved a few years back so now I'm dependent on the library which has all but one of her fiction titles.

The Evening of the Holiday is her first novel (1966) and an exquisite one. It is the story of a love affair in Tuscany - and written in a way that probably would not be possible today. Why? We would not expect renunciation. Tancredi is an Italian who has a reputation fo
Tessa
Mar 26, 2017 Tessa rated it it was ok
2.8
Rouenna
Dec 31, 2014 Rouenna rated it it was amazing
There’s an understated elegance in this short novel that tells the story of a young woman spending a holiday in the Italian countryside and an end of a summer romance. Amidst the courtesies of society, celebration of the town festival and walks in the countryside under the languid heat, Sophie and Tancredi’s romantic meetings leisurely unfold but not without its troubles.

Sophie, being half-Italian and half-English, appears to merely skirt along the core of Italian culture; an outsider looking in
Marianne
Apr 08, 2012 Marianne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Evening of the Holiday is the first novel by Australian author Shirley Hazzard and was written in 1966. It is set in Tuscany and the main characters are Tancredi, a Sicilian architect recently separated from his wife and children, Sophie, half-English, half-Italian, on holiday in Tuscany and Luisa Brandi, Sophie’s aunt. Tancredi and Sophie first meet at his sister’s place. It is an inauspicious beginning to their love affair: he doesn’t think much of her looks; she finds him not at all attra ...more
Lisa
Mar 26, 2010 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: australia, c20th
Shirley Hazzard is the acclaimed author of The Great Fire, which was longlisted for the 2004 Man Booker Prize for Fiction; shortlisted for the 2005 International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award; and won the 2003 American National Book Award for fiction and subsequently the 2004 Miles Franklin Award. I am ashamed to realise that it took an American award for me to discover this very fine writer and her small but very interesting body of work.

The Evening of the Holiday is an enchanting book. Set in Tu
Mary Billinghurst
Aug 11, 2013 Mary Billinghurst rated it liked it
The author was recommended to me as someone I would enjoy. Shirley Hazzard writes beautifully with lovely, succinct prose. The Evening of the Holiday is really a novella, at a mere 125 pages.

In my opinion, the brevity is a problem. The main characters, Sophie, an Englishwoman visiting family in Tuscany over the summer, and Tancredi, a married Italian businessman, are not sufficiently developed. Since I never really got to know them, I did not care about them either.

Their affair constitutes the p
Pamela
Aug 05, 2011 Pamela rated it liked it
This is really a 3.5 star read for me. I love Hazzard, and I love Italy. I read this book while in the country, a nice treat. I didn't find it as gripping as some of her other novels. There wasn't a whole lot of chemistry in the seduction, and I guess the role of detachment in a seasonal love affair is what Hazzard was trying to explore here. Some of the more intellectual passages were rather impenetrable, too. But if you love the Italian countryside, and you like a little romance, read it-- it' ...more
Arwa
Oct 09, 2016 Arwa rated it liked it
A very short read for those days you got nothing better to do.
Hazzard's descriptive writing of the Tuscan setting, her immersing illustration of every character's thought-process, the foreseeable pseudo-tragic course of Tancredi and Sophie's love affair draws you in from the first page.
Although it is hard to love any of the characters, you still feel a little connection to them.
It was nice, but unfortunately it is also forgettable.
Lauren Albert
Feb 08, 2010 Lauren Albert rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Linda Leith
Feb 28, 2013 Linda Leith rated it liked it
Shirley Hazzard's first novel, about a love affair in Tuscany. Beautifully written but slight, certainly, in comparison to her wonderful novel The Great Fire. It's still worth reading The Evening of the Holiday to understand the development of a writer. You can feel her trying things out, and some of them work beautifully.
Carol
Jan 24, 2008 Carol rated it it was ok
I have read other of Shirley Hazard's books (particularly The Great Fire) and this one has been laying around on my shelves for a long time so i decided to give it a go. It tells of the love affair (illicit of course) of two people thrown together for a weekend at a villa in Italy. Nice travelogue, but written in the 1960's, it comes across as a bit stilted.
Daphne
Aug 25, 2012 Daphne added it
Another great portrait of rural Italy in the 1950s/60s by Shirley Hazzard. While the characters and their crises aren't as compelling as those in her later works, the descriptions of Italian villages and manners are wonderful.
F
May 23, 2012 F rated it really liked it
This comparatively simple novel stays with you long after you've read it.
Chas.
Feb 25, 2011 Chas. added it

Lovely and slow; gorgeously written.
Persephone
Halfway through, and am really enjoying how well the book is written.
Rosemarie Silva
Aug 31, 2014 Rosemarie Silva rated it liked it
i don't know if it's just me but i really find the book boring..............
Martha
Jul 14, 2011 Martha rated it liked it
Interesting observation by Hazzard that the lover begins to feel bound by the other's presence but ultimaltely is stricken by the possiblity of separation.
Kate Lapinski
Aug 22, 2015 Kate Lapinski rated it liked it
Very brief, pretty lovely.
Caitlin Brady
Nov 02, 2012 Caitlin Brady rated it really liked it
As with everything I've read of Hazzard's, I loved it. Just this side of perfection!
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Florence, A Delicate Case (The Writer and the City)
  • Amazing Disgrace (Gerald Samper #2)
  • The Prodigal: A Poem
  • Indian Summer
  • The Twyborn Affair
  • City of the Mind
  • The Children of Dynmouth
Author of fiction and non-fiction. Born in Australia, Shirley Hazzard now holds citizenship in Great Britain and the United States.

As a child she travelled the world due to her parents’ diplomatic postings and at 16, worked for the British Intelligence in Hong Kong, monitoring civil war in China. After this she lived in New Zealand, Europe, USA and Italy. In the USA she worked for the United Natio
More about Shirley Hazzard...