Start by marking “The Power of Positive Dog Training” as Want to Read:
The Power of Positive Dog Training

The Power of Positive Dog Training

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  707 ratings  ·  46 reviews
"The Power of Positive Dog Training" is the best book yet on explaining how and why purely positive training works. Inside, you'll find easy to read discussion of the philosophy of positive training followed by training tips and exercises. This book is geared toward the dog owner who wants to develop a relationship with their dog based on friendship and positive reinforcem ...more
Published August 29th 2001 by Howell Books (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Power of Positive Dog Training, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power of Positive Dog Training

Tim "The Enchanter"
If anything, this book has convinced me that Positive Dog Training is the method to employ. It provides a very detailed look at the reasoning and effectiveness of positive reinforcement training. This is helpful for someone who wants to know more than the method of training but wants to know why they are doing what they are doing. It also give some very detailed information on teaching specific commands and a suggested order.

In my case, I was reading this on my Kindle. While I love my ereader, I
Michelle
I think this really is the go-to book for learning about positive training and how to implement it with your dog. I've never beat around the bush with indicating that I'm very pro-positive training and I think Pat Miller is one of the best.

The book begins with a little bit about Pat's history of training, namely that she was a "traditional" trainer at one point, which many were. Traditional trainers focus more on aversives and punishments: leash pops, choke chains, and the like. It tells briefly
Justin Podur
I thought this book was quite good. I have always been opposed to (and appalled by) the use of punishment in teaching and training; so, I am a natural sympathizer of the 'positive' school of thought. The training methods and ideas in this book are specific, and solid, and seem to be proven in the field too. My only question about the behaviourist framework, which I am going back and forth about, is, to what extent does behaviourist training, even the positive kind, waste the innate potentials of ...more
Smoke
This book has excellent insight into how dog brains work and how they process things, which I have found extremely useful in training my second dog, who was far more difficult than my first. It has a premise, that positive training is more effective than other methods, which exploit fear and pain avoidance behavior to achieve the same result. This premise makes sense to me, since pleasure seeking is complex and involves more of the brain than pain avoidance. But some of the suggested methods are ...more
Shawndra
I really liked this book and am sure I will refer back to it many times. I think the way she discusses both shaping and luring with the clicker as a marker is very useful because it both gives the distinction between the two clearly and gives you options for which one you'd like to use.

I liked how the exercises were laid out and made into games, I think that would make things more accessible to people who may be less experienced with training. I will probably recommend it to people for that reas
Sean Howard
If I had to recommend a book to someone on how to better train their dog, and I could only recommend one, this is it. In fact, I give this book to my clients. Clear, concise, easy-to-follow and the most powerful methods for truly-dog-friend, positive reinforcement training.
Michelle
Very informative and really helped me with my dog. There is a new edition published 2008
Kerry
Aug 18, 2011 Kerry rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dog owners
This was a really great book on dog training using behavioral conditioning (I think that's what it's called. I read this a while ago.)

Don't Shoot the Dog is a better book (if we're going to compare the two) but this one is specifically geared towards dog training, and is quite valuable. You should read (and own) both.

The first third (if I recall correctly) describes the concepts involved. It was useful, but man, this lady is SO into positive training that it is a little crazy. Like, she beats h
J.C.
Jan 18, 2008 J.C. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: dog owners
Shelves: dog-behavior
If I could only recommend one dog training book, this would be it. The first part of the book is organized into a 6-week training program (appropriate for any age dog), with each chapter representing one week of training. Pat Miller suggests "Core Exercises" and "Bonus Games" for each week, and she explains how to avoid or deal with common problems. The rest of the book is divided into common "problem" scenarios, such as Housebreaking, Aggression, Socialization, etc. If you want a fuller explana ...more
Newfiekidd92
I love this book. Prior to it I did use traditional training methods; I hit my dog when she would go on the floor. I really hated doing it but everyone said it was the only way. It didn't really work, she went on the floor when I wasn't around her and she was afraid to go on walks or if I was in the yard. I started positive dog training and she no longer goes on the floor, she will go on walks, and she doesn't eat my books anymore so I don't have to hide them!!
Ravina Thompson
Love, love, love this book. Can't say enough good things about it. One of the best books on dog training there is.
Lily
Aug 28, 2011 Lily rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to learn about positive reinforcement training.
Shelves: ebooks
Excellent book explaining the concept behind positive reinforcement based training. It is written clearly and simply without any unnecessary information that makes you want to nod off. The author also explains a bit about other training styles and how they differ, and includes a 6 week program that just about anyone can follow to teach their dogs several useful things via positive reinforcement. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn this method of training, and it's even good ...more
Sara Caruso
Excellent training book, should be required reading for all new puppy owners.
Gloria
May 31, 2011 Gloria rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dow Lovers
Shelves: non-fiction
This covers a whole bunch of territory regarding dog behaviors. What is especially valuable is learning about the "clicker" method of training, and also understanding what human gestures/behaviors mean to an animal (and how they can negatively influence training). Pat Miller seems very capable and knowledgeable and I would think many dog owners would find this valuable.
Karla
This book had a lot of good information about training with rewards and treats. It also gave some good psychological profiling of what dogs think/want. It was a little heavy handed at times(about every 3rd page the author noted, "After all, humans are suppose to be more intelligent then dogs.") Overall I liked it, agenda-setting put aside.
Regi
I have only scanned through this book, but my husband has read it completely. He says it is an excellent book with great techniques. I have to agree because he has taught the techniques to me and I have been using them. When I have time I plan to read the book for myself (other than the parts I really, really needed).
Lori
I am 100% convinced that positive dog training is not only effective, but fun for you and your dog!
This is a great book for people who are not familiar with positive training, as well as for people who have some experience with it but need/want more guidance.
I can't wait for the second edition to come out!
Virginia
This is pretty much how I have taught things to my dog for the past year. It's worked pretty well, but she still has a long way to go. There were a lot of new games & teaching tips in here that I will try. This was a little dry but still very readable.
Abby
The best step-by-step guide to positive dog training; I'd recommend it as a manual for every dog owner. My full review here: http://thedoggerel.wordpress.com/2011...
Chriss
Jul 16, 2008 Chriss rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone with a dog as a pet/family member.
One of the first dog training books I read that I absolutely adored. Now I've read more books by the same author. I recommend this book to anyone who is looking to invest in training their dog.
Cynthia
Nov 02, 2007 Cynthia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: dog-training
This is an excellent dog training book. The author talks about operant conditioning and, therefore, the reason behind the training method. And she gives you lots of fun things to teach your dogs!
Gill
A practical but well presented book that not only describes the pychology of clicker training but gives a week by week programme which works -even with feisty Border terriers
Shane
This is my doggie training bible. Pat Miller is brilliant. This works. If you have a dog get it. If you want someone to treat you better, get it for them.
Silvia
The positive reinforcement dog techniques were discovered to be highly effective in training animals for motion pictures.
This is an important must read for pet owners.
Yonathan Zarkovian
Full of so much useful information and covers so many scenarios that are possible with dogs, and how to approach problems and fix them the positive way.
Maria
Excellent. Easy to read and lots of information. Breaks it down with good background info. Worth your time whether you are. New dog owner or have had many!
Emily
I know, I know, another dog book. Beware--I have a large stack. This is a good reference for positive reinforcement. I'm going to buy a copy of my own.
Kristen
Great book! I highly recommend it! It is helping me a lot with Envy and offers great advice for both puppies and adult dogs!
Nancy
Mostly common sense. I'd never done clicker training, and am trying it now. I'm on the fence about constant treats, however.
Joan
Excellent book for beginners to the most current dog training methods/ideology. Stop watching Cesar Milan!
  • The Culture Clash
  • Don't Shoot the Dog!: The New Art of Teaching and Training
  • On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals
  • The Other End of the Leash: Why We Do What We Do Around Dogs
  • Canine Body Language: A Photographic Guide Interpreting the Native Language of the Domestic Dog
  • Control Unleashed:  Creating a Focused and Confident Dog
  • Bones Would Rain from the Sky: Deepening Our Relationships with Dogs
  • Before and After Getting Your Puppy: The Positive Approach to Raising a Happy, Healthy, and Well-Behaved Dog
  • Click to Calm: Healing the Aggressive Dog
  • How to Behave So Your Dog Behaves
  • How To Speak Dog: Mastering the Art of Dog-Human Communication
  • Dogs: A Startling New Understanding of Canine Origin, Behavior & Evolution
  • Feeling Outnumbered?: How to Manage and Enjoy Your Multi-Dog Household
  • The Dog Whisperer: A Compassionate, Nonviolent Approach to Dog Training
  • It's Me or the Dog: How to Have the Perfect Pet
  • Excel-Erated Learning: Explaining in Plain English How Dogs Learn and How Best to Teach Them
  • The Dog's Mind: Understanding Your Dog's Behavior
  • Behavior Adjustment Training: BAT for Fear, Frustration, and Aggression in Dogs
Squirrel's New Year's Resolution Do Over Dogs: Give Your Dog A Second Chance For A First Class Life (Dogwise Training Manual) We're Going on a Book Hunt Play with Your Dog (Dogwise Training Manual) Substitute Groundhog

“I would rather have cookies in my jacket pockets than a chain around my dog's neck.” 4 likes