Start by marking “20th-century poetry and poetics” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
20th-century poetry an...

Gary Geddes

20th-century poetry and poetics

20th Century Poetry and Poetics is considered the most important teaching anthology published in Canada for poetry courses at the college and university market. The greatly anticipated fourth edition of the anthology was published in the Spring of 1996 and the number of poets included was expanded by more than fifty per cent. The twenty-five poets new to this edition - - t ...more
727 pages
Published 1985 by Oxford University Press

To ask other readers questions about 20th-century poetry and poetics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 20th-century poetry and poetics

Dan
Mar 06, 2008 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
For me, this book is different from other anthologies of modern poetry in two ways. First, in addition to the usual suspects (T.S. Eliot, William Butler Yeats, Robert Frost, Wallace Stevens, William Carlos Williams, Charles Olson, Dylan Thomas, Allen Ginsberg, Lawrence Ferlinghetti), it includes work by Canadian poets like A.M. Klein, Earle Birney, [[author:Alfred Purdy|1577594], Margaret Avison, Margaret Atwood and BP Nichol. Second, at the end of the book are essays in which the poets discuss ...more
uh8myzen
One of my absolute favorite anthologies. Not only does have the usual giants, but also some of my favorite Canadian poets and some excellent criticism and poetics at the end. Some of those essays are still my favorites, even after the twenty years since I first read them.

This is an excellent introduction to the world of 20th Century poetry and poetics. It is not only complete, but precise.
Carolyn
A college-taught anthology with Leonard Cohen, concrete poetry, and a cover like this?:

Reaction =

(view spoiler)
Michelle
Sep 27, 2009 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best.... never never fails to pick me up
Taylor
Possibly the best anthology I've ever encountered. Many of my favourite poets were found through reading this cover to cover multiple times.
Kate
Jul 20, 2008 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like this anthology. The selections that are included are very good and reflect the 20th century well. It's a good anthology.
Sally Ito
Feb 01, 2013 Sally Ito rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I use this as an anthology and resource for my creative writing (poetry) classes and find reading it rewarding each time I teach the class. There's something about the wide selection and the section on poetics in the back that's like an inspiring pottage of poetic sustenance. Read Levertov's poetry last night, and her piece on 'organic form,' and felt engaged and moved by what she had written. Same goes for Frost, as well.
Rudolfo
Jul 10, 2011 Rudolfo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have the 2nd edition, published in 1973 and a few others. There are now 5 versions/editions and they're all different. Each later edition retains some of the previous one and I believe leaves some out.
Rudolfo
Jul 10, 2011 Rudolfo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eileen
Contains a pretty good variety of poets with great Canadian content. Also introduced me to bpNichol's Continental Trance, so it's a keeper.
Alexander R.
Alexander R. rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2015
Zain Raza
Zain Raza rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2013
Jen
Jen rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2009
Kristian
Kristian rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2017
Sylvester
Sylvester rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2010
Hannah Foulger
Hannah Foulger rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2014
Sheena
Sheena rated it it was ok
Oct 15, 2015
Nelstar
Nelstar rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2014
Stefanie
Stefanie rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2009
Alissa Klingbaum
Alissa Klingbaum rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2015
Itchy
Itchy rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2011
Michael Hale
Michael Hale rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2015
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2014
Jasmin
Jasmin rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2013
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2015
Alvaro Posada
Alvaro Posada rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2014
Helen  Luo
Helen Luo rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2014
Dimitri A.
Dimitri A. rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2013
brittaney
brittaney rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2014