The Dream Bearer

The Dream Bearer

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  22 reviews
David Curry doesn't know what to make of his father, Reuben, whose violent out bursts and chilling nightmares torment his family. His older brother, Tyrone, says Reuben is crazy. But lately, even Tyrone isn't acting like himself.

Then David meets the mysterious Mr. Moses, who tells him that dreams might be the only things we have that are real. And it is Mr. Moses's gift of...more
Published September 7th 2004 by Amistad (first published January 1st 2003)

Wilfred europe
the dream bearer was one of my top favorites.this book is about a kid and his friend who meets a homeless guy and learns so much history about his black culture.the homeless guy is over 100 years old so he knows a lot of things.the book is called the dream bearer because the homeless man remembers all of his dreams and shares them with people who are interested.
Kayna Olsen
David is a young adolescent growing up in Harlem. His father Rueben has gone crazy and if he doesn't take his pills he has no control over himself. Years previous his father insisted that they call him Rueben because that is his name. David's older brother Ty is getting into drugs and gang activity though he and his mother would prefer not to admit it and remain hopeful. David and his mother have grown very close as they cling to each other for support. His mother is David's protector from Ruebe...more
Stephanie
The Dream Bearer includes issues teens can relate to: not fitting in, drugs, bad home life, and many more. This book definitely did not end the way I expected it to. The daddy issue became somewhat resolved, which I expected. It didn't feel realistic that the dad could go from crazy and then normal just by helping Mr. Moses, but that's pretty much how the book depicts it. The situation with Mr. Moses almost seemed like a cop-out. At one point he was in the hospital, the next he's telling the kid...more
Hattie
"The Dream Bearer" by Walter Dean Myers is a story about David, his family and friends. David has a brother, named Ty. David's best friend's name is Loren. Another interesting character is Mr. Moses. Mr. Moses is an old man without a home. He has a grocery cart, wears two sets of coats and is sickly. He spends lots of time sitting on the porch bench. Mr. Moses claims to be a little over three hundred years old. He is a Dream Bearer. Not being familiar with the title "Dream Bearer" I decided to t...more
Jimmy
The book I read was "The Dream Bearer", by Walter Dean Myers. This book is about a boy named David who lives in Harlem. His dad, Reuben, is coming home late and night yelling at his wife(David's mother). He all grumpy and everything. David don't know what to do with his family with his dad and brother dealing drugs and gangs.

But David meets a guy named Moses Littlejohn. He says he is a 300-year-old dream bearer-one who harnesses and preserves human dreams. As David gets to know Moses more he ge...more
Heather
The Dream Bearer is a story that follows David (13 or 14 years old) through a little snip-it of his life. David's older brother has been hanging with the wrong crowd and has been getting himself into lots of trouble. David's father had a nervous breakdown a while before the story begins and his mother is trying to provide and keep everyone together. David meets Mr. Moses at the park one day. Mr. Moses says he is 300 years old and is very tired from carrying dreams.
This book does not have anythi...more
Pierce Hili
David is a kid growing up in Harlem. His family isn't exactly what you will call a happy family. His brother Ty is involved in something bad and owes people money. Their dad Reuben is abusive. He has to take medication to calm him down. David looks out for his mother and tries to be nice to Ty who usually blows him off.
In this story, David and his friend Loren meet a guy who calls himself the dream bearer. He has dreams of years ago. He says he is over three hundred years old. David's parents do...more
Celia
I thought this was an interesting little story with a good cast of characters. This is one of Walter Dean Myers' earlier works, but as usual, the setting is Harlem, with it's bustling and colorful streets. David is a 12 year-old who is dealing with a father who is unstable, and a brother who might be running with a rough crowd. He meets an interesting old man in the park, and is drawn to him when the old man informs him that he remembers dreams for people, and has been doing this for hundreds of...more
Kelly Lynn Thomas
This is a really profound book that deals with many topics: family, drugs, mental illness and racism. Despite the heavy subject matter, the author creates a believable kid who deals with the changes in his life in an ultimately positive and pragmatic way. At the same time, the author says a lot about slavery, racism and how others perceive those with mental illnesses, and how those perceptions affect the family member of the ill person. I "read" the audio book (it was my first-ever audio book!).
priscilla
i don't like a lot of walter dean myers. i like the idea of him, & i like that he's responsible for a lot of my students reading during class, but i have trouble connecting with his characters. monster & shooter don't do much for me, & the beast drove me absolutely crazy. but this book introduced a character that i actually cared about. ummmm IT'S GOOD READ IT PLS.
Ruben
In this book,there are plenty of turning points when you have to question wheather or not it is fake or reality. life is like that sometimes, and that is why the book can connect to any reader so very well, and keep them interested. life can seem just like a dream, but can also be a cold realiy check. I gave this book a 4 out of 5.
Tami
Great middle school age story about a child in Harlem dealing with the challenges of his environment and especially with his father’s struggle with mental illness and how this affects him and his mother and brother. The character’s struggle to understand his father and try to make sense of his own circumstances is compelling.
Having struggled with the difficulties with his family, David finds comfort in the wisdom of Mr. Moses who helps explain the meaning of dreams and how they help guide one through reality, in a moving coming-of-age tale from a Printz Award winning author.
 Imani ♥ ☮
It was alright. I read it during some summer...I can't remember which, because it was on some book list. I wish I could remember what it was about. But I just can't. Something about an old homeless man, I think? Yeah, maybe that's it.
Katie
During a summer in Harlem, David tries to come to terms with his father’s outbursts and unstable behavior, with the help of his mother, a close friend and an old man he meets in the park.

Shonna Froebel
Boy has to learn to deal with his father's mental illness, older brother who may be in some trouble, old man who carries dreams, and immigrant friend.
Dy'talzha
This book was great! I'm glad I picked it . It was a very moving book it was rare. But I felt like I was right along with David when every thing was happening.
I have a blog! Follow me for reviews of tween lit.
Aaron Smi
it awesomes an look awesomes b since it read the back of th book...... an it fun
Tessa
I can see why kids like to read Walter Dean. He's got that voice down.
Aimee
Almost like science fiction, but still dealing with an urban theme.
David
This is sort of a strange book, but some of it was interesting.
Barb Moore
Barb Moore marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Joanna Ramirez
Joanna Ramirez marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Amanda
Amanda added it
May 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
pseudonyms:
Stacie Williams
Stacie Johnson

Walter Dean Myers was born on August 12, 1937 in Martinsburg, West Virginia but moved to Harlem with his foster parents at age three. He was brought up and went to public school there. He attended Stuyvesant High School until the age of seventeen when he joined the army.

After serving four years in the army, he worked at various jobs and earned a BA from Empi...more
More about Walter Dean Myers...
Monster Fallen Angels Slam! Sunrise Over Fallujah Shooter