Start by marking “Stone Creek” as Want to Read:
Stone Creek

Stone Creek

In the small town of Stone Creek, a random encounter offers two lonely people a chance at happiness.

Danny, a young widower, still grieves for his late wife, but for the sake of his five-year-old son, Caleb, he knows he must move on. Alone in her summer house, Lily has left her workaholic husband, Paul, to his long hours and late nights back in the city. In Stone Creek, she
Published May 27th 2008 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Stone Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stone Creek

Jackie
May 12, 2008 Jackie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: folks who liked Terms of Endearment, Fried Green Tomatos, Steel Magnolias, etc
Stone Creek is a book about the highs and lows of life and how, sometimes, if we are lucky, the right people come along to help us through them. Lily tries too hard to be what everyone expects her to be and to want what everyone else
thinks she should want. Paul tries to make up for his profound emotional distance by being a fantastic lover, only slowly realizing that that makes him a terrible husband to Lily. Caleb is mourning the sudden loss of his wife while trying to raise his young son under
Dawn
Aug 22, 2009 Dawn rated it really liked it
I was really anxious to read this book and was really hoping that it would turn out as good as I wanted it to be. I first picked it up at the bookstore as I was walking to the checkout with an already full armload and had to save for my next trip. It had a very interesting premise of a childless couple who were facing some difficulty in their marriage, and a widowed father trying to learn how to go on with his life after suddenly losing the love of his life. I envisioned a story fraught with a ...more
Christy
Oct 16, 2008 Christy rated it it was amazing
As soon as I opened this book and read the first page I was pulled in immediately. The characters were so real; what has happened to Danny, Lily, Paul and Eve is heart-wrenching and sad. I wept for them and I was touched by how strong they were in dealing with their disappointments and loss. Ms. Lustbader's writing is vivid; I felt like I was a part of the story. This book made me question the desires and decisions that were made; it made me think about how I would act and react under similar ...more
Audrey
Nov 14, 2009 Audrey rated it really liked it
Whoo-hoo, what an emotional ride this was!! Lots of happiness, lots of pain, lots of loss, lots of growing and learning all packed into one good book. Chick lit, in my opinion, as it is so heavy in emotional content. But the more romantic men out there might appreciate this one too.
Season
Dec 29, 2015 Season added it
This could possibly be the worst book I have ever read. It was just terrible. The editing couldn't have been worse and the plot itself was so depressing. I had all I could do to finish the book and I felt that it was a complete waste of time in the end.
Barbara Ann
Very good read; would reccomend
Cindy
Nov 05, 2009 Cindy rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009
Wrighty
Nov 18, 2008 Wrighty rated it really liked it
This is a touching yet sad love story. Danny was only married to the love of his life for six years when she died and left him alone with their young son Caleb. His grief is so overwhelming he can barely take care of himself but he has a little boy depending on him. Lily is married to Paul who loves his wife but is married to his work first. His days and most of his nights belong to Wall Street. Lily is lonely and decides to go alone to their summer home outside of the city. It is during this ...more
Michele Bailey
Sep 30, 2012 Michele Bailey rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Stone Creek. i think the writing was very good and the story was familiar but different. It was very real. The loss that we suffer in life is hard to deal with and often we just don't have the tools. I do not condone having an affair but it was a great part of the story. It was really another loss they had to face. Its the way real life is. Many times in life you can't have your way. Even if it feels so right and the loss of it will break you. You learn you come close, but you ...more
Kathleen
Dec 28, 2010 Kathleen rated it it was ok
Meh- that is all I can say for this book. I enjoyed Danny's story and understand the hurt he is going through and if he was able to heal in a different way, I would have enjoyed the story better. A book that makes having an affair seem like an ok thing, just isn't my kind of book. Lily just irritated me. Stand up for yourself a little please. Also, when I am reading a story that I expect to be more realistic (as compared to stories about vampires) I expect realistic situations. How many times in ...more
Christine Stanton
Oct 04, 2013 Christine Stanton rated it really liked it
I found this book and put it on my wish list because I thought I wanted to read it. Later on, after I read the reviews, I was not so sure. The reviews were not very good. But, sometimes I like things that others don't like, like the obscure song on an album that you never hear on the radio. I am glad I decided to read this book myself. It was worth the time. If you like contemporary romance novels, this one will be better than most you read. I held my attention from beginning to end.
Thover
Aug 06, 2011 Thover added it
I thought the characters had depth and the emotions were quite believable. There were emotions I could certainly relate to. Whether you agree or disagree with the choices made, it was hard to not to empathize with the hurt the characters had experienced and their deep desire to find comfort and unconditional love. I could have used another chapter, but yet, enjoyed lingering over the possibilites left unspoken. Overall, I enjoyed it and found it touching.
Pamela Pickering
Jul 16, 2008 Pamela Pickering rated it liked it
Recommended to Pamela by: Jamie
Shelves: chick-lit
Hmmm...I don't know if it was the book or the fact that I was really "bummin'" when I read this book. (Had recently faced a betrayal from a friend that knocked me between the eyeballs). Anyway, this could have affected my response to the book. I found the book a little too dreary and emotional at times, maybe even sappy. Although the characters were very likeable I just had a hard time dealing with the story (but again, could have been due to current events).
Englandjennifer
Jan 07, 2012 Englandjennifer rated it really liked it
Slow start. A great deal was spent on character and then the plot begins. Grief, all about the depth of pain, the loss but finding love that fills the void. Lily's struggle with infertility and not getting her needs met for a baby brings her into the arms of someone who knows grief all to well. On page 284 it summarized so well the doors that were open for her but the fear of going in and her own husband not following.
Ti
Jul 11, 2008 Ti rated it liked it
Enjoyed this book quite a bit. Danny loses his wife after only 6 years of marriage. He is left alone with his young son and struggles daily to overcome his grief. In walks Lily, an older, sophisticated woman who is married to Paul and struggling with her own grief and marriage problems. This is a story of relationships and how friendships and love hold us together. Beautifully written and the characters are very well developed (and likable).
Melodie Chasteen
Aug 09, 2012 Melodie Chasteen rated it it was amazing
I don't remember how I picked this book up, but I'm glad I did. I read it and was very compelled to continue turning the pages and keep reading. My heart just ached while reading this book, and when it was over, I closed the book, held it to my chest and sobbed a little. Wow. I felt really sad that the characters had left me.
Christie
Dec 04, 2011 Christie rated it did not like it
I read 178 out of 366 pages...so I did TRY to finish.

I probably should have given up on this book sooner than I did. It was a classic case of a three dressed up as a nine. The characters just weren’t believable (even though they were all beautiful and smart and amazing and damaged.) I felt like I was reading a gussied up Harlequin.
Gineiris
May 09, 2009 Gineiris rated it really liked it
This book is very descriptive and emotional so if you're not a patient person who enjoys that kind of book, than this book is not for you. Other than that it is a very heartfelt story written in an omnipresent point of view. It is "inappropriately graphic" in some parts but those parts are written in a tasteful way (i.e no dirty language).
Jessica
Not a typical romance, but I don't think that Lustbader's take on the genre works for me - I can see not wanting to get wrapped up in cliches, but what you do to avoid them needs to have some substance behind it to work.
SummerSecrets
May 06, 2013 SummerSecrets rated it liked it
I got this book, along with a bunch of others, from my grandmother. I wasn't really interested in the romance and almost didn't finish the story. I am glad that it ended the way it did, though. It was a good ending to an okay novel.
Patsy
Dec 05, 2012 Patsy rated it liked it
Chris Hughes
Jul 08, 2010 Chris Hughes rated it really liked it
Favorite line of the book? "I'm not frightened of what might happen if I let myself love you. I'm frightened of what will happen if I don't."
And yes, the book made me cry - on more than one occassion.
Cindy
May 14, 2009 Cindy rated it liked it
Probably really a 3.5. It seemed to drag to me and I got really aggravated with two of the three main characters with "problems" - wanted to tell one to get a spine and the other to quit being a jerk.
Julie Walker
Jul 28, 2016 Julie Walker rated it liked it
I found this book slow to start and difficult to get into initially but by half way through I wanted to know more. Overall I enjoyed it but when it finished it felt incomplete. There was so much more I would have liked to know!
Lisa Helms
Oct 23, 2010 Lisa Helms rated it liked it
This is the first book I've read by this author. I liked it
a lot. I want to read Victoria's first book, Hidden, now.
Shelly Colp
May 09, 2013 Shelly Colp rated it liked it
This wasn't too bad but the ending wasn't what I expected. This is one of those books that stay with you after you've finished reading it.
Paula
Apr 14, 2010 Paula rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book even though I found some of the writing to be a little trite...the themes around loss were engaging, though...
Elizabeth Payne
Jul 10, 2012 Elizabeth Payne rated it it was ok
Read in France on a rainy day and couldn't put it down. Great lesson in love stories. Just what I needed to relax.
Carrie
Oct 10, 2013 Carrie rated it liked it
Didn't love this one. Maybe 2.5 stars? I just struggled to connect or sympathize for the main characters and I flat out hated the ending.
Aimee
Sep 07, 2008 Aimee added it
These characters practically jump of the pages to meet you - they are just that well-crafted. Beautiful.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Perfect Reader
  • Emerging Worship: Creating Worship Gatherings for New Generations
  • The Last Good Night
  • Pound for Pound
  • Let's Be Jolly! (2-in-1)
  • The Safety of Secrets
  • Love's Haven
  • Blinded
  • Club Fantasy
  • Catching Genius
  • Beyond The Threshold (Time Travel Set, #1-2)
  • Dream of Me
  • Turn: Remembering Our Foundations
  • Jazz Notes: Improvisations on Blue Like Jazz
Victoria Schochet Lustbader was born and raised in New York City, the youngest of three children and only daughter of Rubin Schochet, a Lithuanian émigré, and Dorothy Hertz Schochet, a second generation Russian.

Drawn to the arts from a young age, Victoria studied ballet for ten years, played the piano and guitar, wrote poetry and stories. Always fascinated as well with the sciences and languages,
More about Victoria Lustbader...