Start by marking “Book Marketing is Dead: Book Promotion Secrets You MUST Know BEFORE You Publish Your Book” as Want to Read:

Librarian Note: Alternate Cover Edition for B00HC6HQ70.

How to sell a ton of books (even if you're starting with no platform).

If you've found this book I'm assuming you have or will soon have a book
out on the market, and are exploring ways to turn it into a best-selling
powerhouse that will slaughter the competition and pay for your
retirement. The indie publishing world is
Published December 27th 2013 by Creativindie (first published December 17th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Book Marketing is Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Book Marketing is Dead

Iola
Dec 07, 2014 Iola rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014, book-marketing
This book reminds me of the little girl with a little curl: when it was good, it was very very good, but when it was bad it was horrid.

I’ll start with the horrid. Murphy has been criticised for suggesting purchasing book reviews. My opinions on paid reviews are well-documented (well, the version of my opinion that’s fit for public viewing). I don’t have a problem with paid reviews—if you’ve got $425+ to blow on a Kirkus Indie review, great, but most indie authors would be better investing that
Michelle Madow
Jan 23, 2016 Michelle Madow rated it it was amazing
This book is a MUST READ for authors, no matter what stage they are in their career. I wish it had been around when I independently published my first series, and I'm so glad to have read it before launching my second indie series. I found myself stopping to take notes and apply the advice given many times while reading, and I know that what I've learned will be even more helpful in making sure my upcoming series will be as successful as possible. Derek is helpful, honest, and to the point - ...more
Michele Bardsley
Dec 31, 2015 Michele Bardsley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great advice

I've read a lot of books, blogs, and articles about book marketing, so I wasn't sure what this could offer me. I'm glad I read it. There's really good information and solid advice about marketing and promotion.
Diane Challenor
After reading a few pages, of Book Marketing is Dead: Book Promotion Secrets You MUST Know BEFORE You Publish Your Book, I felt confident it was going to be a good read and I wasn’t disappointed.

I’ve been following along with Derek Murphy’s blog from his website creativindie for a few months. It’s full of interesting insights about eBook publishing and cover design. His conversational writing style is clear and easily accessible, so when I realised he had published several books covering self-pu
Elise Edmonds
Aug 28, 2016 Elise Edmonds rated it it was amazing
Very informative book about marketing in the age of social media. Well worth reading.
Michael Ronn
Nov 20, 2014 Michael Ronn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As other readers have said, this is a good book for newbie authors who are wondering where to start. As someone who's already published two books, and an avid reader who has read pretty much all the self-publishing books out there, there was nothing new in this book for me. But that's not really fair to the author, because he does do a good job of outlining all aspects of publishiing and promotion that are useful, especially if you've never read anything like this before. The book does include ...more
Will Once
Apr 29, 2016 Will Once rated it liked it
This book is an odd mixture of good advice, bad advice and dreadful formatting.

There's lots of good advice. Quite rightly, Derek Murphy talks about improving your book before trying to market it. Reading this book, there were times when I wanted to re-enact that scene from "When Harry met Sally" and create a little puddle on the floor. Yes! Yes! Yes!

Then there were some not so good bits which were tantamount to buying reviews. Stuff that you couldn't do these days without Amazon coming down on y
T.B. Markinson
Dec 29, 2013 T.B. Markinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
What impressed me the most about this book is that it doesn’t make promises, such as if you follow a certain formula you’ll get rich. Instead he offers advice and shows that building relationships using social media is key. Personally, I’m not a fan of authors who spam me about their books and keep shouting: read my book, read my book, read my book. This is not the best way to build a fan base. Instead, Mr. Murphy suggests that fostering relationships with people and developing your author ...more
Chris Lee
Mar 09, 2014 Chris Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a good starting place for new authors. I appreciate the fact that the author didn't try to bs the reader. He stuck to what he knew and he stressed the importance of a good author bio, reviews and sales copy. This is of monumental importance. A good quick read and good resources and ideas.
Syida
Nov 12, 2016 Syida rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of Useful Content

I bought this book months ago, but I am finally getting the chance to review it. Short and sweet and to the point, this isn't just another marketing book. Trust me, it's not. This is the first marketing book I have read where it isn't talking about the same, old washed up book marketing information. This book takes it beyond that, and to the PSYCHOLOGY of book marketing. It forces you to dig deep inside to determine what brand you want to build, the reasons for it, and how
Vanda Denton
Nov 23, 2016 Vanda Denton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly useful tome. Have taken notes and am still using them.
Marie Chow
Mar 24, 2014 Marie Chow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short Version:

This is a book that’s got a lot of great links to blogs, vendors, etc, and is good in terms of offering newbie authors a good starting point in terms of a little bit of everything (from author bios to websites). I didn’t love the WAY he said a lot of it (and it’s definitely said with a specific point of view in mind: on everything from paying for reviews to choosing the RIGHT genre/topic, there’s a lot of advice some authors will be flat out unable to feel “right” about). Still, at
Stephanie A. Cain
Dec 26, 2013 Stephanie A. Cain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
How do you market a self-published book into a best-seller? Start with the absolute best book you can produce. This isn't really a new idea--marketing experts have long been touting the importance of having a good cover design, professional editing, and excellent back copy--but it doesn't end there. Author Derek Murphy starts out by covering some of the basics, and then adds a number of things an indie author should do before a book launch.

A lot of book marketing experts tell you how important a
Tracey Madeley
Jan 15, 2016 Tracey Madeley rated it really liked it
Connecting with people is the key message of this book, writing guest blogs, reviews and getting your name in front of a new audience all takes time.

In common with many non-fiction writers he talks about writing a book that will sell and not one that you want to write. However writing in the same genre or style as someone else often gets you negative comparisons in fiction. Wolf Hall, Twilight, The Hunger Games and Interview with a Vampire all broke new ground by coming from a different perspect
George Rodriguez
Dec 14, 2014 George Rodriguez rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-promotion
Since I recently began my indie publishing journey I’ve read over 50 books related to writing, publishing and promoting self-published books.

Derek Murphy’s Book Marketing is Dead belongs on the top of the heap when it comes to book promotion.

Leaving aside the all too common tactic of telling readers they can sell thousands of book monthly and write bestsellers in a month, a week or a day; Murphy guides indie authors on a realistic tour of what proper book promotion looks like.

He builds off the
Sharon Coleman
Dec 08, 2015 Sharon Coleman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Useful, honest, no BS advice

I've followed this author for some time and find his advice useful and sound.

This book can be summed up as follows: Get professional cover design. Hire a professional editor. Make sure your online presence is professional looking. And THEN spend the rest of your life on social media.

I've read a lot of marketing books, so most of the marketing advice was not new to me. This is a good primer to marketing for those people unfamiliar with the basics. The author spells cer
Donna Usher
Dec 26, 2013 Donna Usher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a self-published author I am constantly looking for marketing ideas that make sense, while also being achievable and affordable. The majority of the books I have bought on the subject have been disappointing at the best.
From the beginning, Book Marketing is Dead promised to deliver information I could use. Derek Murphy is an editor, cover designer, author and internet entrepreneur with a well-rounded appreciation of the publishing game. His advice comes from years of marketing experience, an
Tanja Russita
Sep 01, 2015 Tanja Russita rated it really liked it
A fine well-organised book. Author generously shares advice, tools and links.
I didn't found sparkling insights there, but overall it is a good list of ideas.
The main points (as I see them) are that your author's platform must be polished before you start your marketing and your marketing must be more personal, caring about people. Author provides some tips on how to do it.
I did some marketing already and agree with Derek in the poins I have some marketing knowledge myself.
Overall a very useful r
Vanessa Chan
Jul 02, 2014 Vanessa Chan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't Go In Public Naked

As a recently published indie, this book is a swift kick in the pants reality check every new author needs. Mr. Murphy makes a compelling case for why going out the gate with an "underdressed and underpolished" book is almost certain disaster and how to approach promotion like a human being. (Basically, the Golden Rule with tech savvy and some good resources you might not have thought about). It's a very fast read and worth its weight in resources, links and sound ideas.
C.J. Darlington
Jan 21, 2016 C.J. Darlington rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing-how-to
There are so many books on marketing and publishing for indie authors, and that makes it hard to sift the gold from the chaff. I'd put Book Marketing is Dead closer to gold than chaff. It isn't an end-all masterpiece, but it never claims to be either, which I appreciate. Murphy makes it clear from the start what he will deliver, and what he won't. I found a lot of interesting info. Much of it I'm already doing as an author, but if I hadn't been, I'd want to know how. Recommended.
Cathe
Jan 11, 2016 Cathe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Derek Murphy Breathes New Life into Book Marketing!

I highly recommend this book for everyone who is serious about selling books. If you have finished your book, take a break and read this BEFORE you publish to get every possible sales break. If you are about to write your book - even better. Read Derek's book, create a website, blogging, reader-targeting and cover-designing calendar, and breathe real life into your future as an author!
Kelly Stone
Sep 05, 2015 Kelly Stone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great insightful book for indie authors!

Great informative book! As a new indie author, Derek's tips are invaluable. Thank you for writing and sharing your insights. Today's publishing world is changing and it's good to have ideas on which promotional paths to take because there are many! This book gave me a lot of helpful ideas and prevented me from wasting a lot of time and money. Looking forward to reading your blog.
Bridgid Gallagher
Feb 15, 2016 Bridgid Gallagher rated it it was amazing
Derek Murphy sticks to the important strategies behind book promotion in this short (but info-packed) read. You can pick and choose which methods work for you (I don't love all of the methods, but it's good to know what's out there), and this is a great way to start thinking about how you want to promote your books.
Renee McCalman
Feb 22, 2016 Renee McCalman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great advice for all first-time authors

This book offers an in your face, realistic approach to book marketing and promo for self published authors. It tells you the truth about the challenges you can expect in the process yet offers a truck load of actionable advice that actually works. It's an easy and interesting read. I definitely recommend..
Randy Stapilus
Jan 18, 2016 Randy Stapilus rated it it was amazing
This was one of the best books I've read so far on book marketing, the title notwithstanding. Murphy uses a narrow definition of "marketing" to justify it, essentially just including the sales elements. Putting aside the title, the book covers a lot of useful territory has a bunch of useful suggestions. Strongly recommended.
Chuck
Sep 23, 2015 Chuck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chock full of valuable tips

This book wasn't perfect, but I gave it 5 stars because I couldn't remember any criticisms I had. Derek Murphy teaches a book marketing strategy that works like this: 1. Build your platform. 2. Establish a social media presence. Then, 3. the marketing is the easy part. Lots of great suggestions from someone who knows what he is doing.
Titus Hjelm
May 31, 2014 Titus Hjelm rated it really liked it
A helpful little book that condenses the wisdom of a myriad of self-promotion books into one source. As even mainstream publishers expect you to do much of the promotion yourself, this is useful beyond kindle publishing. Only minus would be that there's virtually nothing genre-specific here.
Shyla Colt
Jun 20, 2015 Shyla Colt rated it really liked it
A fantastic fairly in-depth look at marketing techniques, what works, what doesn't and everything in between. I loved that this book was easy to read, with easy to follow directions that would fit will with every budget.
R. Hill
Jul 18, 2016 R. Hill rated it really liked it
B (7.8 of 10 Stars) - My first read from Derek Murphy. He is known for his award winning book covers and has a new book out about the religious significance of the Harry Potter book series. The information presented was excellent, but his style comes across as really slow and dry to me.
Tom Wright
Feb 20, 2014 Tom Wright rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This gets 5 stars for one thing: honesty.

He says over and over, don't spam your target market (or anyone, really). And provides examples that I see on my daily Twitter feed.

Good read for that alone, besides the other good advice.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Add / remove books from author profile 2 30 Mar 26, 2014 06:07AM
  • Let's Get Visible: How To Get Noticed And Sell More Books (Let's Get Digital, #2)
  • Reader Magnets: Build Your Author Platform and Sell more Books on Kindle (Book Marketing for Authors 1)
  • Author Publicity Pack: Resources to Help You Take Your Book Marketing To The Next Level
  • Wake Up Successful: How to Increase Your Energy & Achieve Any Goal With A Morning Routine
  • The Complete Handbook Of Novel Writing: Everything You Need To Know About Creating & Selling Your Work (Writers Digest)
  • Why Authors Fail: 17 Mistakes Self-Published Authors Make That Sabotage Their Success (And How To Fix Them)
  • Plug Your Book: Online Book Marketing for Authors, Book Publicity Through Social Networking
  • The Secrets to Ebook Publishing Success
  • Goodreads for Authors
  • Social Media Marketing for Publishers
  • How to Start a Successful Blog in One Hour (Better Blog Booklets)
  • Your First 1000 Copies: The Step-by-Step Guide to Marketing Your Book
  • Podcast Launch - A Step by Step Podcasting Guide Including 15 Video Tutorials
  • Secrets of the Six-Figure Author: Mastering the Inner Game of Writing, Publishing and Marketing Books (Volume 1)
  • Indie & Small Press Book Marketing
  • How To Market A Book
I wrote my MA thesis on Harry Potter and my PhD thesis on Paradise Lost. Now I write YA fantasy novels and design book covers. I blog about self-publishing, book design and book marketing on www.creativindie.com and am renting a castle for Nanowrimo 2016. I hope you like my writing!
More about Derek Murphy...

“Who would you like to become, and how will you know when” 2 likes