Start by marking “The Jury Master (David Sloane, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Jury Master (David Sloane, #1)

The Jury Master (David Sloane #1)

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,525 Ratings  ·  162 Reviews
David Sloane is the best wrongful death attorney in San Francisco. But despite his professional success, he's plagued by a nightmare of a childhood he cannot consciously remember. When he recieves a package from a White House confidant who then turns up dead, the contents reveal a history he could never have imagined.
Published January 1st 2007 by Popular Library (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Jury Master, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jury Master

Jean Coldwell
Aug 30, 2015 Jean Coldwell rated it really liked it
The Jury Master by Robert Dugoni

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. David Sloane, San Francisco’s most successful wrongful death lawyer, finds out just how true this adage is in Robert Dugoni’s political thriller, The Jury Master. Although the book opens and closes in the courtroom, this is not a legal thriller. Rather, its title character, Sloane, is highly intelligent, persuasive, and able to adapt quickly to changing situations. These traits that serve him so well in court prove
Sue
Nov 04, 2011 Sue rated it it was amazing
"The Jury Master" by Robert Dugoni is Robert's first novel.I have read "Murder One", "Wrongful Death" and will soon read "Bodily Harm".Of all his books that I have read so far, this is my favourite.This was an amazing powerful action-packed political thriller.I stayed up until the wee hours to finish this book. I couldn't put it down.

Brenda
Feb 13, 2015 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a while in the beginning to keep everyone sorted out, but this was a very interesting book. The title leads you to believe it has something to do with the legal profession, but this is really a political thriller, involving Mexico for a change. I liked David Sloane and look forward to seeing where Robert Dugoni takes him in future books.
Joe
Mar 05, 2014 Joe rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Billed as a stunning debut and legal thriller, this book is neither. It is filled with caricatures - highly successful attorney, (and an ex-marine), with a near genius IQ; his girl Friday, a young attractive single mother with a heart of gold; street wise, sarcastic yet tenacious homicide detective; an ex-CIA agent who lives as a hermit; and self-important, over-zealous political types, (there are more but I won't belabor the point), - all involved in a predictable plot which degenerates into a ...more
Denise
Jun 09, 2010 Denise rated it did not like it
1.0 out of 5 stars BORING, October 28, 2006

This review is from: The Jury Master (Hardcover)

I was looking for a legal thriller (wouldn't you think with the word "jury" in the title that it would have something to do with that?"
Anyway -- read a couple of chapters. Not worth my time. He doesn't compare to the good thriller writers out there.
Ed
Feb 20, 2013 Ed rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Political thriller fans
I enjoy Dugoni's books when I come across one but I wouldn't call myself a fan. This, his first, may be, IMHO, his best.

David Sloane, a highly successful defense attorney, is beset by nightmares and migraines and doesn't know why. He also draws a blank when he tries to remember anything of his childhood. The title refers to Sloane's ability to sway a jury with skills he has, does not understand but knows has something to do with his upbringing.

When Joe Branick, a personal friend of the Presiden
Barbara
Mar 05, 2015 Barbara rated it liked it

San Francisco attorney David Sloane - a former foster child who has no memory of his early years - has a knack for getting juries to vote his way. The talented lawyer, plagued by bad dreams and headaches, finds himself in a dangerous situation when Joe Branick - a friend and colleague of the U. S. President - apparently commits suicide in Black Bear National Park in West Virginia. Before his death Branick, a stranger to Sloane, left the attorney a phone message and sent him a package. U
ElaineY
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK; OCTOBER 31, 2015
Narrator: Robertson Dean

Boring and meandering all over the place. The hopping back and forth from place to place would, ordinarily, be interesting for me but in this book it just added to the chore of trying to follow the story.

It's probably a better book than I think it is but too much work for me. It's also not a legal thriller but I knew that going in, having read the reviews that mentioned this so that's not the problem. I may try another book by the auth
LJ
Aug 14, 2007 LJ rated it liked it
THE JURY MASTER (Political Suspense-US-Cont) – G+
Dugoni, Robert – 1st novel
Warner Books, 2006- Hardcover
David Sloane is a highly successful defense attorney who suffers from migraines and a gruesome recurring nightmare. Joe Branick is a personal friend of the President of the United States who is found dead in a national park by apparent suicide. Retired CIA agent Charlie Jenkins is living quietly in Oregon until a file from Branick is delivered to him. Before he died, Branick also left two phon
Judi
Oct 25, 2015 Judi rated it it was amazing
After finishing the series that Robert Dugoni wrote - Tracy Crosswhite - I picked up the next series.

David Sloane is an attorney and this one starts out in the courtroom. I love the way the author writes these courtroom scenes..But this one takes off immediately into a who done it, running from the police, and even meeting the President of the US.

What a great book and one to keep you turning pages into the night.

On the close of his winning victory - David receives a call from Joe Banick. Unfortu
Andrew
Mar 22, 2014 Andrew rated it liked it
I guess I figured with a man in a lawyerly type suit, a reference to Grisham on the cover, and a title like "The Jury Master" it was a safe assumption that this would be a legal thriller.

Not so much.

Much more an international intrigue thing combined with a "what is the mystery secret of the past that links the seemingly disparate elements?" type of deal. Fine for a story, but nothing like what I expected.

I was more interested in the side character of Detective "Mole" Molia than I was with the ma
Barbara McGrath
Jan 05, 2015 Barbara McGrath rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Jury Master

This story was the Best of all the David Sloane novels.
My only regret is that I did not read The Jury Master pry to reading the other stories.
But it does not really matter. What order the novels are read.
I cried my eyes out throughout this novel. I loved this story.
I was starting to believe Mr. Dugoni's had given David some type of angelic (or God ) like powers. Lol ( laugh out loud ).
The ending was good. Where Sloane was discussing with the President why he should resign. Without
Anne Huntley
Sep 19, 2015 Anne Huntley rated it really liked it
Outstanding Thriller...
This is the first in the David Sloan series and unlike others is not a legal thriller. Aside from being a very successful lawyer, who has never lost a case for his sometimes culpable corporate clients, he is wracked by guilt, possibly PTSD, and violent nightmares which haunt his sleepless nights. He lives only for his work. The buried trauma of his early childhood precludes most human relationships.
Thus unfolds a psychological, political and 20-year-old mystery, as David S
Beth
Jan 08, 2015 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I'm so happy to have discovered Robert Dugoni. That's how I put it ("discovered") when I read a book by an author I was unfamiliar with and do not expect to love it but do. That's what happened when I read Dugoni's latest (then) in his David Sloane series. I was so happy to learn that was a series and there were more. So I read another and, now, another. This one, THE JURY MASTER, is, I believe, the first in the series. And I love it, too, all but the end, that is.

Sloane is a man with with no fa
Bill
Nov 18, 2014 Bill rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, signed, j-read
How fast I get through a book is a pretty good gauge of how good a book is. The ones that don't work seem to take forever, both figuratively and literally. The good ones fly by. I just blew through this one in a week, and that's not a mean feat for a novel of 450 pages that only gets picked up at bedtime.

I have to give the author high marks for keeping things interesting and keeping the action coming. He uses every trick available to invest the reader in the characters and keep them turning page
Kim
Jun 30, 2015 Kim rated it it was ok
This is not a legal thriller. It's one big "car chase" involving political secrets, Vietnam, CIA, and oil cartels. If you're into that, this is the book for you. Seems like if a novel is named "The Jury Master" it would have a little something to do with lawyers, court trials, etc. Not so. Well, ok, the main character happens to be a lawyer, but it's just coincidental. I only skimmed through the last few chapters, and realized I didn't miss much there. Very predictable.
Chantel
San Franciscon, wrongful death attorney David Sloane and a stranger, former CIA agent Charles Jenkins share a recurring childhood nightmare. Meanwhile, unstoppable West Virginia police detective Tom Molia investigates the suicide of a top adviser to the president, and what he finds draws Sloane and Jenkins closer to the truth behind their shared terror: an international conspiracy 30 years in the making. 10 sound discs (ca. 72 min. each) Read by Robertson Dean.
Carol  MacInnis
Nov 21, 2011 Carol MacInnis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Joe Branick is special assistant to the President of the U.S. and has been a personal close friend of his for many years. Now he has been found dead of an apparent suicide. Those who knew Joe did not think this was possible with Joe's personal ethics and his close ties to family and his community. David Sloane is a defense attorney who never loses a case. It's a gift that not even David can understand, but one that wins him case after case with his mesmerizing 'gift of gab' at his closing argume ...more
Ann
Mar 10, 2014 Ann rated it really liked it
Robert Dugoni was totally charming when I met him at the Murder in the Magic City conference. He was one of the featured speakers and entertained with his beginnings as an author. And here is one of his first... Amazing! Indepth characters, believable and exciting plot twists, and great writing in general. Hard to believe that he wrote this at the start of his career. I'll be definitely reading more of his books.
Animal
Sep 19, 2015 Animal rated it it was ok
I couldn't draw myself to finish this book. It started out really well, but seemed to kind of just hang about halfway through the book. The story didn't seem to develop along any further. I simply lost interest. Three stars because the story was good, but didn't have the patience to wade through what seemed like a large segment that became rather dry and boring.
Lyndsy
Mar 13, 2012 Lyndsy rated it it was amazing
The premise of the book isn't particularly novel, but the book is incredibly intriguing. I read the book because the author is a friend of a friend. I've been fascinated by the idea of writing for a long time, so anytime I know anyone (however many degrees separated we are), I try to read their work.

I was a bit skeptical at first, but Robert Dugoni quickly made me forget any ideas I had about his inability to tell a story. The book is fantastic. As someone who's practiced law, reading about it
Suze
Sep 20, 2015 Suze rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE JURY MASTER

Loved this book, I read The Conviction first and knew I had to read the rest of the David Sloane books in order. This book did not disappoint, it is wonderful. I loved the characters, the action, suspense and mystery. There were a lot of characters to keep track of, but they all came together.
Amy
Nov 20, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it
This was a really good book. I confess I thought it was going to be mostly courtroom stuff but was not disappointed when it was not that at all. Serious page-turner. End of most every chapter left me no choice but to read just one more! A couple time I was confused as there were too many characters but I sorted it out eventually. I recommend it.
Samantha
Dec 20, 2007 Samantha rated it really liked it
You can tell this is a first novel. It has some plot holes that keep it from being great but it's still a good book. I'm not going to write a plot summary since so many have already did that. I agree with others that the title is a little misleading. I picked it up thinking it was a legal drama but then it turned into a political thriller which is fine with me since I love those books. I think Mr. Dugoni will keep getting better and better. I enjoyed his use of flashbacks to help reveal the stor ...more
Carol Turznik
Feb 13, 2015 Carol Turznik rated it liked it
Normally I love reading Robert Dugoni books. Up to this point, I think I have read 4-5 others, but for some reason this one didn't do it for me. I got really confused in the beginning with all the characters and couldn't really keep them straight in my head. I thought perhaps this might rectify itself as I got further into the book, but unfortunately, it did not. I caught the general gist of the novel, but in my opinion Mr. Dugoni wrote other novels much better than this one.
Sharlynora
Nov 09, 2009 Sharlynora rated it did not like it
This book was not the greatest of books I've ever read. However, I do have to mention that its not my usual style of reading- not the type of book I would normally read. I picked this copy up in the breakroom at work, where there is a bookshelf that my coworkers place books they are done with and have a little "book exchange" if you will. Most of the books are romance novels and mysteries. Two types of books that I almost never read. But, I was in between classics, and bored during lunch. So, I ...more
Sharon Draper
Can't believe I read the whole thing.

It has potential. There are some shining moments. I stayed with it. The author has potential. But I have a headache from the eye rolls. I did enjoy some characters but the plot was so big it was hard to pull together.
Lyn
Mar 12, 2015 Lyn rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller, suspense
It took me several starts and stops to get into this book. Not a good thing for an author to hear. About 30% in (gotta love Kindle, providing the info), the story piqued my interest and held on. Will probably read the following books now in the David Sloane series.
Rosita Sanchez
Jan 29, 2015 Rosita Sanchez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Robert Dugoni is A Master of Words

This book is hard to put down. This author makes you feel like you are a part of the story. I felt each word as if I were a character In the story. I am looking forward to reading his next book eagerly.
Jury Master 0 2 Jun 05, 2007 10:46AM
  • Motion To Kill (Lou Mason, Mystery #1)
  • The Tenth Case (Jaywalker, #1)
  • The Defense
  • The Cyanide Canary
  • Special Circumstances (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Legal Thriller Book 1)
  • Big City, Bad Blood (Ray Dudgeon, #1)
  • Ascension Day
  • The Mayor of Lexington Avenue (Jack Tobin, #1)
  • Capitol Offense (Ben Kencaid, #17)
  • Vanished (Nick Heller, #1)
  • Nightlife
  • Terminal Ambition, A Maggie Mahoney Novel
  • A Cure for Night
  • Killer Weekend (Walt Fleming, #1)
  • The Last Confession: A Crime Novel
  • The Color of Law (Scott Fenney #1)
  • Restitution
  • Foul Player (Dr. Jillian Sanders, #1)
Robert Dugoni is the New York Times and #1 Amazon Bestselling Author of My Sister's Grave and The David Sloane Series. He has published 8 novels, an expose, The Cyanide Canary, and the short prequel The Academy.
Robert was born in Pocatello, Idaho and raised in Burlingame, California. Growing up the middle child in a family of ten siblings, Dugoni jokes that he didn't get much of a chance to talk,
More about Robert Dugoni...

David Sloane (5 books)
  • Wrongful Death (David Sloane, #2)
  • Bodily Harm (David Sloane, #3)
  • Murder One (David Sloane, #4)
  • The Conviction (David Sloane, #5)

“And that was when I came to realize that what is important is not what is true, but what people believe is true and what they’re willing to do for that belief.” 1 likes
“That is some gift you have, Mr. Sloane… what you did to those jurors. I don’t know how you did it, how you convinced them. They didn’t want to believe you. I saw it when they came back. They had their minds made up.” A tear rolled down her cheek; she disregarded it. “Well, consider this, Mr. Sloane. My Emily is dead, and my grandson will never have his mother. That is something you can’t change with your words.” 1 likes