Start by marking “The Jury Master (David Sloane, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Jury Master (David Sloane, #1)

The Jury Master (David Sloane #1)

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  2,348 Ratings  ·  210 Reviews
David Sloane is the best wrongful death attorney in San Francisco. But despite his professional success, he's plagued by a nightmare of a childhood he cannot consciously remember. When he recieves a package from a White House confidant who then turns up dead, the contents reveal a history he could never have imagined.
Published January 1st 2007 by Popular Library (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Jury Master, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jury Master

Jean
Aug 30, 2015 Jean rated it really liked it
The Jury Master by Robert Dugoni

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. David Sloane, San Francisco’s most successful wrongful death lawyer, finds out just how true this adage is in Robert Dugoni’s political thriller, The Jury Master. Although the book opens and closes in the courtroom, this is not a legal thriller. Rather, its title character, Sloane, is highly intelligent, persuasive, and able to adapt quickly to changing situations. These traits that serve him so well in court prove
Sue
Nov 04, 2011 Sue rated it it was amazing
"The Jury Master" by Robert Dugoni is Robert's first novel.I have read "Murder One", "Wrongful Death" and will soon read "Bodily Harm".Of all his books that I have read so far, this is my favourite.This was an amazing powerful action-packed political thriller.I stayed up until the wee hours to finish this book. I couldn't put it down.

Brenda
Feb 13, 2015 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a while in the beginning to keep everyone sorted out, but this was a very interesting book. The title leads you to believe it has something to do with the legal profession, but this is really a political thriller, involving Mexico for a change. I liked David Sloane and look forward to seeing where Robert Dugoni takes him in future books.
Joe
Dec 14, 2016 Joe rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Billed as a stunning debut and legal thriller, this book is neither. It is filled with caricatures - highly successful attorney, (and an ex-marine), with a near genius IQ; his girl Friday, a young attractive single mother with a heart of gold; street wise, sarcastic yet tenacious homicide detective; an ex-CIA agent who lives as a hermit; and self-important, over-zealous political types, (there are more but I won't belabor the point), - all involved in a predictable plot which degenerates into a ...more
Irene
Oct 12, 2016 Irene rated it it was ok
This was a very fast paced thriller. Although the main character is an attorney that never loses a case and the secondary figure was a dedicated cop, this was not really a legal thriller. Evidence and investigations were eclipsed by unrealistic shoot outs, foot chases, hand-to-hand combat and other pyrotechnics. There was more than enough times when our brilliant, drop-dead hunk of a lawyer who is kind to old ladies and orphans survived despite being out-numbered and/or unarmed before tremendous ...more
Dee

He dreams repressed memories
Exciting story
Barbara
May 20, 2016 Barbara rated it liked it

San Francisco attorney David Sloane - a former foster child who has no memory of his early years - has a knack for getting juries to vote his way. The talented lawyer, plagued by bad dreams and headaches, finds himself in a dangerous situation when Joe Branick - a friend and colleague of
the U. S. President - apparently commits suicide in Black Bear National Park in West Virginia. Before his death Branick, a stranger to Sloane, left the attorney a phone message and sent him a package. U
Denise
Jun 09, 2010 Denise rated it did not like it
1.0 out of 5 stars BORING, October 28, 2006

This review is from: The Jury Master (Hardcover)

I was looking for a legal thriller (wouldn't you think with the word "jury" in the title that it would have something to do with that?"
Anyway -- read a couple of chapters. Not worth my time. He doesn't compare to the good thriller writers out there.
LJ
Aug 14, 2007 LJ rated it liked it
THE JURY MASTER (Political Suspense-US-Cont) – G+
Dugoni, Robert – 1st novel
Warner Books, 2006- Hardcover
David Sloane is a highly successful defense attorney who suffers from migraines and a gruesome recurring nightmare. Joe Branick is a personal friend of the President of the United States who is found dead in a national park by apparent suicide. Retired CIA agent Charlie Jenkins is living quietly in Oregon until a file from Branick is delivered to him. Before he died, Branick also left two phon
Ed
Feb 20, 2013 Ed rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Political thriller fans
I enjoy Dugoni's books when I come across one but I wouldn't call myself a fan. This, his first, may be, IMHO, his best.

David Sloane, a highly successful defense attorney, is beset by nightmares and migraines and doesn't know why. He also draws a blank when he tries to remember anything of his childhood. The title refers to Sloane's ability to sway a jury with skills he has, does not understand but knows has something to do with his upbringing.

When Joe Branick, a personal friend of the Presiden
Bill
Nov 18, 2014 Bill rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, signed, j-read
How fast I get through a book is a pretty good gauge of how good a book is. The ones that don't work seem to take forever, both figuratively and literally. The good ones fly by. I just blew through this one in a week, and that's not a mean feat for a novel of 450 pages that only gets picked up at bedtime.

I have to give the author high marks for keeping things interesting and keeping the action coming. He uses every trick available to invest the reader in the characters and keep them turning page
ElaineY
REVIEW UPDATE: AUGUST 29, 2016
Still don't care for the hopping all over but like it overall a little better than the first time. 3 stars rather than 2 and plan to listen to another installment.

REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK; OCTOBER 31, 2015
Narrator: Robertson Dean

Boring and meandering all over the place. The hopping back and forth from place to place would, ordinarily, be interesting for me but in this book it just added to the chore of trying to follow the story.

It's probably a better book than I think i
Mike
Feb 08, 2016 Mike rated it liked it
First of all, the only connection the title of this book has to the actual story is the first chapter. The rest of the book...David Sloane may as well be an electrician or a bus driver. As others have pointed out, the characters are stereotypes and the plot is just short of absurd but the author does keep the story moving along so three stars for the effort.
Sharon Draper
Can't believe I read the whole thing.

It has potential. There are some shining moments. I stayed with it. The author has potential. But I have a headache from the eye rolls. I did enjoy some characters but the plot was so big it was hard to pull together.
Carol
Nov 10, 2016 Carol rated it really liked it
The Jury Master by Robert Dugoni
David Sloan series Book#1
4's

From The Book:
David Sloane is the best wrongful death attorney in San Francisco. But despite his professional success, he's plagued by a nightmare of a childhood he cannot consciously remember. When he receives a package from a White House confidant who then turns up dead, the contents reveal a history he could never have imagined.

My Thoughts:

I love Robert Dugoni's flowing, easy to read writing style and the way he makes the reader feel
Alexandre Carbonneau
Oct 27, 2016 Alexandre Carbonneau rated it really liked it
Get out the way you Grisham's wannabes !!

Actually, although I can understand why Dugoni is being compared to John Grisham, I categorically refuse to say that The Jury Master is a legal thriller. It starts in the courtroom for a few pages and end there as well, but that is all you're gonna read about it.
It's as close to a legal thriller as The Firm was. Which means it gravitates around a lawyer, but it basically stops there.
The closest resemblance would be Antony Franze's The Advocates Daughter,
Rainer Lakmann
Oct 21, 2016 Rainer Lakmann rated it it was amazing
Der erste Teil der David Sloane-Reihe von Robert Dugoni. Sloane ist ein Top-Anwalt aus San Francisco. Er siegt in jedem Prozess, da er es immer schafft, die Jury durch seine gewinnende Art für sich und seine Mandanten einzunehmen - daher ist er der “Jury Master“.

Doch dann wird er von Profikillern gejagt, die hinter einem Brief her sind, welchen Sloane von einem CIA-Mitarbeiter und Präsidentenberater zugeschickt bekommen hatte - kurz bevor dieser (vermeintlich) Selbstmord begannen hat.

Sloane hat
Ferne
Nov 01, 2016 Ferne rated it it was amazing
This was the first novel that I've read by Robert Dugoni and I can't wait to add more titles to my "wish-to-read" list from the author's website! It's a page turner of a storyline but I also really enjoyed Robert Dugoni's style of writing which draws the reader in and creates each scene in the moment effortlessly and allows each word used to succinctly paint the vivid setting to tell his tale.

An example from Chapter 3-
"The cry echoed off the granite walls like ghosts wailing. Sloane struggled to
Amanda McGill
Nov 07, 2016 Amanda McGill rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
Hard novel to get into and just didn't hold my attention.

Within the first few chapters, I could tell that this novel wasn't for me. I was struggling to keep all of the characters straight and I had no idea how they all fit together. The middle of the novel had some redeeming qualities that keep my interest. I wanted to know how everything fit. Unfortunately the ending wasn't as satisfying as I wanted it to be.

*Even though the title and the main character suggest that this is a courtroom drama,
Terrie Purkey
Well written, twists & turns; it's billed as a legal thriller, but there's not much "legal" - no courtroom drama - it's just that he's a winning lawyer. The story really involves a mysterious death and all the various people that get drawn into it. My only slight criticism is that there are a lot of characters to keep straight and the story technique changes characters with each chapter. All in all an engaging and satisfying mystery.....it's the first in a series and I'll be back for more.
Lew C Champ
Nov 29, 2016 Lew C Champ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Suspense until the very end.

Though the subject matter, Americas abuse of its power against other countries and her own citizens is a topic for many action thrillers, this book is full of twists and turns that make it a cut above the ordinary. I highly recommend this book because it is so well conceived you will be left trying to imagine the outcome all the way to the epilogue.
Susannah Carleton
Dec 23, 2016 Susannah Carleton rated it really liked it
An engrossing story of a horrible crime, cloaked as an act of war (undeclared), in which the President and his Chief of Staff were both participants. While one man is trying to protect the country, they are trying to hide their involvement but killing anyone and everyone who might know the truth. But two people who know the truth, as well as the responsible parties' identities, are just as determined to stop them. Which group will triumph?
Maggie Holmes
Recommend this to James Patterson and Lee Child readers.
The plot is good; strange but good.
The prose is overwrought: funereal gray clouds, pearl necklace that dangles; woman's adam's apple moves when she gulps.
Don't get attached to any secondary characters; they won't last.

Exercise: straight out sprinting up hill and around corners. I kept having to turn it off while driving because it was too tense.
Katie Sessa
Jan 13, 2017 Katie Sessa rated it it was ok
I am a Tracy Crosswhite Series fan, so I gave this a shot. Unfortunately, 20% through the book and I still don't know the plot...way too slow starting for me. He's trying to use too many character lines without even getting off the starting block. I couldn't bring myself to attempt slogging through any more of this.
Gina Spurlock
NOT WORTH 9 DOLLARS

Decent but not worth it...lot's of books out there that are. This book has gory action scenes one after another but not much character development. The main character goes from emotionally shallow to madly in love in 10 pages. Not bad but not worth the cost.
Robin Rogers
Dec 10, 2016 Robin Rogers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great and enriching book

All the great qualities of a detective series with deeper roots. If this is "book 1" I can't wait to read the next. Excellent build on the characters. It checked all the boxes for mystery, self reflection, love and humanity, good and bad.
donna j caldwell
Ok

I e joyed the book as far as mystery goes but I feel it had to much about politics, something we are all tired of
Colette
Dec 29, 2016 Colette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome story

So suspenseful! The way the stories run parallel throughout the book then crash together in the end keep you on the edge of your seat.
Msjodi777
Nov 24, 2016 Msjodi777 rated it it was amazing
With each Dugoni book I read, I wonder why it took me so long to find this author. This one is edge of your seat, with interesting characters, and excellent narration. <><
Jury Master 0 2 Jun 05, 2007 10:46AM
  • The Cyanide Canary: A True Story of Injustice
  • The Tenth Case (Jaywalker, #1)
  • The Legacy
  • Terminal Ambition, A Maggie Mahoney Novel
  • Ascension Day
  • Special Circumstances (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery, #1)
  • Big City, Bad Blood (Ray Dudgeon, #1)
  • Restitution
  • The Color of Law (Scott Fenney #1)
  • The Last Confession: A Crime Novel
  • Nightlife
  • Killer Weekend (Walt Fleming, #1)
  • Capitol Offense (Ben Kencaid, #17)
  • The Car Bomb (The detroit im dyin Trilogy, Book 1)
  • The Law of Second Chances
  • The Butterfly Effect
  • Web of Deceit
  • A Cure for Night
Robert Dugoni is the New York Times and #1 Amazon Bestselling Author of the Tracy Crosswhite series: My Sister's Grave, Bodily Harm, and In the Clearing, as well as the short prequels The Academy and Third Watch. The police procedural featuring Seattle Homicide Detective Tracy Crosswhite has kept Dugoni in the Amazon top 10 for more than two years. He is also the author of the legal thriller serie ...more
More about Robert Dugoni...

David Sloane (5 books)
  • Wrongful Death (David Sloane, #2)
  • Bodily Harm (David Sloane, #3)
  • Murder One (David Sloane, #4)
  • The Conviction (David Sloane, #5)

“And that was when I came to realize that what is important is not what is true, but what people believe is true and what they’re willing to do for that belief.” 1 likes
“That is some gift you have, Mr. Sloane… what you did to those jurors. I don’t know how you did it, how you convinced them. They didn’t want to believe you. I saw it when they came back. They had their minds made up.” A tear rolled down her cheek; she disregarded it. “Well, consider this, Mr. Sloane. My Emily is dead, and my grandson will never have his mother. That is something you can’t change with your words.” 1 likes