Start by marking “Clinton & Me: A Real Life Political Comedy” as Want to Read:
Clinton & Me: A Real Life Political Comedy

Clinton & Me: A Real Life Political Comedy

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  63 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
When you provide the comic relief for the Leader of the Free World, the line between funny and weird can get a little blurry. Consider the extraordinary experiences of Mark Katz, the in-house humor writer of the Clinton White House, whose job was to produce the president's comic response to the crisis du jour. For eight tumultuous years, he wrote Bill Clinton's annual seri ...more
Published February 18th 2004 by Miramax Books

To ask other readers questions about Clinton & Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clinton & Me

Mallory
Mar 01, 2007 Mallory rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: polticos, comics, class clowns
The story of a regular kid from Brooklyn and his rise to... well, not quite fame... as Bill Clinton's comedy speech writer. A great read for people who like politics, people who like Clinton, and people who like comedy. Even if you're not the most politically savvy person on the planet, if you have a good sense of humor and like to see people make fun of themselves, this is a good choice for you.

There are some laugh out loud funny parts in this book... only suggested as train reading if you don'
Todd
Aug 24, 2012 Todd rated it really liked it
Very entertaining memoir about being Bill Clinton's joke writer -- with some notable compassion amid the humor (and exasperation). With all we've been through in the last 12 years, I'd forgotten how exhausting the Clinton administration was -- sometimes through its own faults, sometimes through its enemies'.
Becky
Apr 19, 2007 Becky rated it it was amazing
Holy cow did I laugh a lot. It was very interesting to see what goes into a speech and the logistics behind it all. I've read it several times and it always cracks me up.
Holly
Aug 12, 2008 Holly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people interested in white house politics and/or comedy
This is a fun, easy read. I read an "advanced reading copy" ($1 at a used bookstore) so I will assume the typos and formatting have been fixed.

I really enjoyed most of this book, though the first few chapters annoyed me a bit. First, the prologue teases you with an interesting Clinton-author exchange and then Chapter 1 painfully starts back at the author's birth and does a whole bio -- which ends up being helpful for reading the rest of the book, but made me impatient because I wanted more insi
Terry Sprouse
Oct 08, 2014 Terry Sprouse rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books. The author presents a fascinating and hilarious insider's look at the sometimes chaotic presidency of Bill Clinton. As the presidential humorous speech writer, Mark Katz, gives us a great "fly n the wall" viewpoint. He also covers the time he spent writing speeches for the dour Michael Dukakis.
Alex Morgan
Apr 29, 2009 Alex Morgan rated it really liked it
I felt proud actually understanding a few of the Clinton jokes, though my attempts at retelling them to my freshmen friends fell flat. Somehow they didn't seem to find jokes on a president they could barely remember all that amusing. I found it rather humorous.
Alana
Nov 15, 2011 Alana rated it really liked it
A delightfully fun read with insights both into the political process and into the nature of comedy. If Katz sounds occasionally arrogant, such arrogance plays a key roll in any career in politics.
Carrie
Jun 22, 2013 Carrie rated it really liked it
Great stories of writing for president's humor speeches. enjoyed the inside glimpses of the Dukakis campaign and the Clinton White House.
Jason S.
Sep 30, 2012 Jason S. rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008
Personalized by the author.
Isabel Rose
Sep 03, 2013 Isabel Rose rated it really liked it
Sooo funny!!
J
J added it
May 22, 2016
Gillian
Gillian marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Dolezal
Dolezal marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
R. Nat Natarajan
R. Nat Natarajan rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Rick
Rick added it
Jan 23, 2016
Ann Barrett
Ann Barrett rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2016
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2015
Patrick Poulin
Patrick Poulin rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2015
Rebecca Kortum
Rebecca Kortum rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2015
Patrick  Walker
Patrick Walker rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2015
Leni
Leni marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Matty Smith
Matty Smith marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Sally
Sally marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Dan
Dan rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2014
Greg
Greg rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2014