Start by marking “Clinton & Me: A Real Life Political Comedy” as Want to Read:
Clinton & Me: A Real Life Political Comedy

Clinton & Me: A Real Life Political Comedy

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  10 reviews
When you provide the comic relief for the Leader of the Free World, the line between funny and weird can get a little blurry. Consider the extraordinary experiences of Mark Katz, the in-house humor writer of the Clinton White House, whose job was to produce the president's comic response to the crisis du jour. For eight tumultuous years, he wrote Bill Clinton's annual seri ...more
Published February 18th 2004 by Miramax Books

To ask other readers questions about Clinton & Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clinton & Me

Mallory
Mar 01, 2007 Mallory rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: polticos, comics, class clowns
The story of a regular kid from Brooklyn and his rise to... well, not quite fame... as Bill Clinton's comedy speech writer. A great read for people who like politics, people who like Clinton, and people who like comedy. Even if you're not the most politically savvy person on the planet, if you have a good sense of humor and like to see people make fun of themselves, this is a good choice for you.

There are some laugh out loud funny parts in this book... only suggested as train reading if you don'
Holly
Aug 12, 2008 Holly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people interested in white house politics and/or comedy
This is a fun, easy read. I read an "advanced reading copy" ($1 at a used bookstore) so I will assume the typos and formatting have been fixed.

I really enjoyed most of this book, though the first few chapters annoyed me a bit. First, the prologue teases you with an interesting Clinton-author exchange and then Chapter 1 painfully starts back at the author's birth and does a whole bio -- which ends up being helpful for reading the rest of the book, but made me impatient because I wanted more insi
Terry Sprouse
This is one of my favorite books. The author presents a fascinating and hilarious insider's look at the sometimes chaotic presidency of Bill Clinton. As the presidential humorous speech writer, Mark Katz, gives us a great "fly n the wall" viewpoint. He also covers the time he spent writing speeches for the dour Michael Dukakis.
Todd
Very entertaining memoir about being Bill Clinton's joke writer -- with some notable compassion amid the humor (and exasperation). With all we've been through in the last 12 years, I'd forgotten how exhausting the Clinton administration was -- sometimes through its own faults, sometimes through its enemies'.
Alex Morgan
I felt proud actually understanding a few of the Clinton jokes, though my attempts at retelling them to my freshmen friends fell flat. Somehow they didn't seem to find jokes on a president they could barely remember all that amusing. I found it rather humorous.
Alana
A delightfully fun read with insights both into the political process and into the nature of comedy. If Katz sounds occasionally arrogant, such arrogance plays a key roll in any career in politics.
Becky
Holy cow did I laugh a lot. It was very interesting to see what goes into a speech and the logistics behind it all. I've read it several times and it always cracks me up.
Carrie
Great stories of writing for president's humor speeches. enjoyed the inside glimpses of the Dukakis campaign and the Clinton White House.
Jason S.
Personalized by the author.
Sally
Sally marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Gina
Gina added it
Sep 09, 2014
Gabriel
Gabriel marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Casey
Casey marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Amanda Fendrick
Amanda Fendrick marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Kasey Halmagyi
Kasey Halmagyi marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Janna
Janna marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Capturing Sound: How Technology Has Changed Music Groove Music: The Art and Culture of the Hip-Hop DJ On Playing a Poor Hand Well: Insights from the Lives of Those Who Have Overcome Childhood Risks and Adversities Witness to an Era: The Life and Photographs of Alexander Gardner Prevent Dog Problems