Start by marking “My Messy Room: My First Hello Reader!” as Want to Read:
My Messy Room: My First Hello Reader!

My Messy Room: My First Hello Reader!

A little girl shows off her messy room and entices every child to read this book themselves. Rhyming, easy-to-read text, exuberant illustrations, flash cards for every word in the story, and educational activities. Part of the My First Hello Reader! series.
Published January 1st 1993 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about My Messy Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Messy Room

karen
Jan 21, 2012 karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kiddiwinx
i went to greg's pretty much to read this book. this review will contain spoilers, make no mistake. but really - this kid is some kind of sociopath. her whole thing is what SHE likes: "i like shoes in my drawers, i like socks on my lamp (which is a wicked fire hazard, but regardless) i like paint on my desk. i like corpses in my fridge" not really, but you can see the escalation; it's only a matter of time. and then the ending is "i like a messy room. but mommy does not". but this little brat ...more
Greg
Dec 28, 2008 Greg rated it liked it
So I'm trying to clean up my own messy room, and I come across this book. Why do I have this book? I don't know. I don't remember ever buying it, actually I'm pretty certain I never bought it. It was published in 1993, making me 19 when it first came out, an age at which I could read, so my parents never bought this for me. I don't know where it came from, but I decided to sit down and read it. I was hoping for inspiration. Maybe a good message about cleaning my room, making it a better place, ...more
Dara
Aug 28, 2009 Dara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is cool
Megan
Oct 01, 2016 Megan rated it did not like it
Read this out loud to my kid and regretted it. Thought it would support my clean bedroom mom propaganda. It did not. Now my kid thinks her messy room is hilarious. Thanks, Obama. Really though, this one's not going back into the rotation.
Hannah Edwards
Sep 05, 2012 Hannah Edwards rated it really liked it
My Messy Room by Mary Packard is a great book for children just beginning to read. The sentence structures are simple and short. The illustrations are detailed and paint a picture as to what is exactly going on in this messy room. The little girl tells us the different things that she likes; for example, she likes paint on her table and socks on her chair. Although the little girl does not end up cleaning her room in the story, you can infer that once her mommy walks in and is shocked and ...more
Desiree Streib
Apr 23, 2016 Desiree Streib rated it did not like it
Shelves: children
There are no words for this book. My sister read it to my two year old nephew, and at the end he said, "That's it?" There was zero plot. The little girl in the story likes her room messy and thinks it's funny that he mom doesn't. That's it. That's the whole story. There is no moral or theme whatsoever that would be beneficial to any child. My sister and I spent a good hour laughing about the ridiculousness of this book.
Brian Barnett
Feb 27, 2014 Brian Barnett rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
While reading this I could tell my son's wheels were turning in his head. The book merely provided justification for his messy habits. The main character never had to clean her room. Other than teaching children sight-words, I'm not sure of its value. It certainly doesn't contain the best message.
Eva Kelly
Jan 01, 2015 Eva Kelly rated it it was amazing
Well, this one's about me all right. But I'm not as messy as this girl is because I don't spill paint. And let's face it, she could be a LOT worse. I mean, what if she had FOOD in there? Then she'd be a REAL slob.
I read almost all of this by myself so it's an EXTRA good one!
Sherry Thornberry
The girl in this book loves her messy room but her mother does not, just like most kids. This book has a lot of rhyming words and read like a poem. It also conveys the message that its ok to be you. 32 pages.
Nikki
I thought this book was funny. The kids room is messy the whole time and I would never be able to live like that. So it was funny to read how this little girl loved her room messy.
Nicole
Feb 15, 2011 Nicole rated it it was ok
Shelves: t-l-306
This is an easy reader for second grade. There are not very many words per page, which would be good for some students.
Jamie
Oct 03, 2012 Jamie rated it really liked it
Talks about a girl who has a messy room and likes it. The story was alright, she liked different things in weird places, but I liked that it had activities at the end of the book.
Lorena
Aug 30, 2011 Lorena rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-isabella
Isabella absolutely loved this book, we were cracking up the whole time we were reading it ... she keeps her room super clean all the time, so this came up as a big joke to her. =)
Tricia
not a big fan...girl basically trashes her room and it doesn't end with her cleaning it up. it ends with mommy not liking it. what mommy would?
Jennifer Coggins
Jennifer Coggins rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2013
Amanda
Amanda rated it did not like it
Jul 11, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2016
Hayden Landy
Hayden Landy rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2013
Jess
Jess rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Kym Alayse
Kym Alayse rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2014
Miss Andrea's
Miss Andrea's rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2011
Marci
Marci rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2014
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was ok
Jul 14, 2016
Cws
Jul 23, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: br
BR-Pac
Casey
Casey rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2014
Segh
Segh rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2016
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2009
Amanda Stafford
Amanda Stafford rated it did not like it
Nov 15, 2013
Alexandra Hearn
Alexandra Hearn rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2014
Brooke
Brooke rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2008