Soldiers and Slaves : American POWs Trapped by the Nazis' Final Gamble

Soldiers and Slaves : American POWs Trapped by the Nazis' Final Gamble

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  14 reviews
In February 1945, 350 American POWs captured earlier at the Battle of the Bulge or elsewhere in Europe were singled out by the Nazis because they were Jews or were thought to resemble Jews. They were transported in cattle cars to Berga, a concentration camp in eastern Germany, and put to work as slave laborers, mining tunnels for a planned underground synthetic-fuel factor...more
Audio CD, Abridged, 0 pages
Published April 26th 2005 by Random House Audio (first published January 1st 2005)

Annie Oosterwyk
This book follows two groups of prisoners as they experience "the final solution" of the Nazi war machine during the final months of WWII.
One group is Jewish (or suspected of being Jewish) American POWs who are captured and removed from the American POW camp and sent to Berga concentration camp to dig tunnels for the Nazis. The plan is to create an underground synthetic fuel factory since the Allies are destroying those above ground.
The other group is the Jews from Hungary. These are the last f...more
Kate
Interesting account of what the 350 US prisoners-of-war (and some European concentration camp prisoners went through) at and after the labor camp of Berga. I'm not sure how the author chose the (Jewish) Hungarian civilians profiled in this story, which was not woven back in with the story of the American Soldiers until 2/3rds of the way through the book, and even then it was just a mention that they both happened to be at the same camp and did not interact.

We're familiar with the concept of conc...more
Jenika
Cohen is to be respected for the effort he made to bring to light the little known horrors of a small almost forgotten camp in Nazi Germany where boys and young men were literally starved, beaten, tortured and worked to death. Through the memories of a half dozen survivors he takes his readers through their lives with their loved ones, with each other and with their brutal captors. This is the first book of its kind I have read and at times I had to stop and reflect and send a healing prayer to...more
Kathy
Amazing history lesson.......
Robert
A well researched and detailed true story. These U.S. soldiers were put in slave labor camps and worked to death along with Europeans Jews and anyone else the Nazi's deemed subhuman. In contrast, the Americans treated POW's more like guests than prisoners. Our camps were often referred to as "the Fritz Ritz". Brutality and barbarism not too long ago. Beware of the dark side of nationalism!
Jenny J
A devastating account of a little-known concentration/work camp in Germany where 350 American soldiers were sent in February 1945. My heart goes out to the veterans who live every day with memories of this terrible time.
Matty
Very interesting. Fascinating due to content of rare info of the small amount of American POWs in Nazi concentration camps. German American; Americans of many religious creeds.
Robert Colquhoun
An interesting piece of relatively unknown WWII history. Yet another example of just how brutal and disgusting the Nazi Solution truly was. Definitely worth the read.
John
Excellent and readable history of a little known atrocity that took place in WW2. Before this book I knew nothing of it. Good read, highly recommened.
Victoria
As i read this book, it made me cry. The horror of the Holocaust is overwhelming. I keep thinking how can people be this cruel?
Jeffrey
Story of American pows put into forced labor and forced to work in a concentration camp. A good read. Historically educational.
Cheryl
This was about a little known Nazi camp that used American Jewish POW's as slave labor and the aftermath
Jenny
What can I say? I read a lot of WWII history materials.
David
David marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Lori Kuder
Lori Kuder marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Audrey
Audrey marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Jay Verhorevoort
Jay Verhorevoort marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Cyndy
Cyndy marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Patrick Lueck
Patrick Lueck marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Janell
Janell marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Kristie Corcoran
Kristie Corcoran marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Craig Bowman
Craig Bowman marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Hearts Grown Brutal: Sagas of Sarajevo In the Eye of the Storm: The Life of General Norman Schwarzkopf Sterling Point Books®: Danger in the Desert: True Adventures of a Dinosaur Hunter Soldiers and Slaves The Girl From Human Street: Ghosts of Memory in a Jewish Family