Start by marking “The Wishing Season (Chapel Springs, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Wishing Season (Chapel Springs, #3)

The Wishing Season (Chapel Springs #3)

4.24  ·  Rating Details ·  1,039 Ratings  ·  179 Reviews
Living side-by-side, a fledgling chef and a big-hearted contractor find a delicious attraction.

Trouble is, their chemistry could spoil their dreams.

Spirited PJ McKinley has the touch when it comes to food. Her dream of opening her own restaurant is just one building short of reality. So when a Chapel Springs resident offers her beloved ancestral home to the applicant with
Published December 16th 2014 by Thomas Nelson (first published December 9th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Wishing Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wishing Season

Aerykah
Wonderful book! I had a very hard time putting it down. And I absolutely loved the characters.
Can't wait to read the next book! :)
Melanie
May 18, 2015 Melanie rated it it was amazing
The Wishing Season is the third book in the Chapel Springs series -- a series I have been loving! I had high expectations for the story, since the last book (Dancing With Fireflies) was an all-time favorite read of mine...and, while it didn't eclipse that book, I did still love The Wishing Season!

The story was so good! I loved how P.J. and Cole first met (let's just say it was a "smashing" scene) and the way they had to share the house on a trial basis for their business dreams. I also loved the
Gretchen
Aug 20, 2015 Gretchen rated it really liked it
I was astonished by this book! I have never read this author and kind of went into this book a little skeptical. I came out in love with the main characters. I loved the development you saw in PJ and Cole throughout this book. I loved the small moments of laughter that I had sitting alone in my room probably looking like a crazy person as I became connected with these characters. I would definitely this commend this book and cannot wait to read more of her books.
Rita
Another great book by Denise Hunter. I really enjoyed this book and how the story progressed. There were highs and lows, all which added to the enjoyment of reading it. The Wishing Season is a welcomed addition to my "favorites" list. I highly recommend it.
Kav
Jan 07, 2015 Kav rated it it was amazing
Please note: A fainting couch is essential for this read due to copious swoonworthy scenes scattered throughout the book. Be. Still. My. Heart. PJ and Cole made a huge impact on me. And their first meet? Hysterical. Especially PJ. Hunter has a brilliant talent for fleshing out the essence of a character in only a few pages. I felt like I knew PJ (and loved her) in a all of a nanosecond.

Talk about opposites attract -- only Cole and PJ don't at first. Or pretend they don't. They come from differ
Abbi
Oct 28, 2015 Abbi rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved the first two books in this series and so I was extremely excited to get to read PJ's story! The premise was so fun and unique and the author did a fabulous job with it!
Cole and PJ were such a fun hero and heroine and I quickly fell in love with them. I loved how PJ was endearingly chatty and how that paired well with Cole's more quiet nature. The way they bantered with each other often left me with a huge smile on my face. PJ was a bubbly breath of fresh air and it was cool t
Brooke (i blog 4 books)
Jan 06, 2015 Brooke (i blog 4 books) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2014
Review originally posted on i blog 4 books: http://iblog4books.blogspot.com/2015/...

What a fun book! PJ and Cole begin as competitors but quickly realize they can help each other out. It was a lot of fun to see how their relationship developed!

I loved the mission that Cole was on to help kids who age out of foster care. His idea for post-foster care housing has actually led to some interesting conversations at home! (Don't you love when that happens?!)

I've said repeatedly that I love series that
Nancy
Dec 02, 2014 Nancy rated it it was amazing
When I first started The Wishing Season, I thought it would be a light romance, but I was wrong. The characters had depth with real conflict in their lives. The emotion rang true, and pulled me in until I couldn't put the book down. Excellent story. Nicely written.
Rissi
Dec 23, 2014 Rissi rated it it was amazing
Reading the first book in this series, Barefoot Summer was a kind of magic even this addict of contemporary fiction hadn’t experienced in quite some time. It wasn’t *just* the delights of the setting or the character quirks, it was a deeper, more meaningful chord it struck in me. That moment ensured this series climbed quickly to the top of my favorites list, which is why despite some minor disappointment in the following novel, I was anxious to have the chance to read any ensuing books in the ...more
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
This is the third book in the Chapel Springs series, but can stand on it's own. That's one of the things I enjoy about Ms. Hunter's series, the characters may overlap, but the books can each stand on their own.

PJ is the youngest in her family and her family tends to baby her because of it. She wants to prove to them and herself that she can make it on her own. She just finished college and wants to open her own restaurant and B&B. She enters a contest to win an old Victorian house in her hom
Hannah
Well, I finished out this series with one that turned out to be my least favorite of the four. I'm noticing that I tend to connect least with characters who love to cook (weird, since I enjoy baking), but it doesn't always damage my rating. I guess what really damaged the rating (-1 star) is that the main characters were over-the-top physically aware of each other and engaged in some pretty heated kissing while in the house alone—and having a very scant faith message. This book could have read ...more
Tina Larsen
Aug 31, 2014 Tina Larsen rated it it was amazing
Another fabulous installment of this Chapel Spring Series. PJ and Cole both suffer from not feeling worthy enough but both for very different reasons. When they are both gifted the chance to live in this mansion for a year they both saw the end result - personal victory - but it doesn't feel so good when we consider others and remember to put God first. Cole came from the foster system as he lost his family at the age of 12 from a tragic accident and PJ - the baby of the McKinley's is never good ...more
Kamaliah
Mar 22, 2016 Kamaliah rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book
the story starts slow n i almost.... almost wanted to stop but as the story progress... cant bring myself to stop reading.

i really really like cole. he has a very big heart. he may be doing what he is doing for the wrong reason but he really did a very nice thing n i cant help but falling in love with his character over n over again.

n PJ... she deserves him as she herself has a very kind soul. a match made in heaven....

i must say that i did not like mama jo in the beginning but she came thru fo
Dec 17, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! It was fun catching up with the residents of Chapel Springs.

PJ and Cole are great characters. The sunny PJ is the perfect balance for tortured Cole. Their chemistry jumped off the pages.

My favorite part though was the work Cole was doing for foster kids. It made me love his character enough to ignore the times he acted like a jerk.

Fans of Denise Hunter will enjoy her newest book. It's a sweet read.
Kate (Too Read or Not Too Read)
Full review to follow.
Angie H
Jan 03, 2016 Angie H rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars!
This series just keeps getting better and better.
Jalynn Patterson
Dec 11, 2014 Jalynn Patterson rated it it was amazing
About the Book:

She daydreams of whipping up sauces and souffles in her own restaurant. His heart is set on helping foster children. Both dreams are at stake. So are their hearts.

With grand plans to open her own bed & breakfast in Chapel Springs, PJ McKinley can't afford the most crucial part: the brick and mortar. But when the owner of a local historic home announces a contest and promises her property to the worthiest candidate, PJ makes a fervent wish and tosses her name into the hat.

Cole
Victor Gentile
Jan 17, 2016 Victor Gentile rated it it was amazing
Denise Hunter in her new book “The Wishing Season" Book Three in the Chapel Springs Romance series published by Thomas Nelson takes us into the life of PJ McKinley.

From the back cover: In this competition, it’s not just the house on the line, it’s their hearts.

She has the touch when it comes to food, but PJ McKinley’s dream of opening her own restaurant is one building short of reality. So when a Chapel Springs resident offers her beloved ancestral home as prize to the applicant with the best pl
Tara
Dec 28, 2014 Tara rated it really liked it
4.5 stars--I loved this third book in the Chapel Springs series. I really related to PJ as she reminded me a lot of myself right after college. Being the youngest in the family, you feel the need to really find out who you are and prove to everyone that you are secure and capable. I also had my own fair share of less than stellar choices when it came to significant others. :-/ But I eventually found my very own Cole. :)

Anyway...I loved the characters. PJ was adorable and real. And Cole. A guy wh
Rhonda
Nov 21, 2014 Rhonda rated it it was amazing
Surprises, surprises, surprises......I thought this was a Christmas book based on the cover, but it is not. PJ and Cole are both competing for ownership of the Wishing Mansion. PJ wants to turn it into a Bed-and-Breakfast and restaurant and Cole wants to provide housing for 18 year old foster children to transition. Then they have to share it for one year before the board determines who will receive ownership. Chemistry flies between PJ and Cole and things become heated and not just in the ...more
Jill
Jan 02, 2015 Jill rated it it was ok
There's a line from a silly song that goes like this: "2nd verse, same as the 1st!" and that is how I feel about this book, only it would be, '3rd book, same as the 1st...and the 2nd.' Each book pretty much has the same plot line, boy and girl meet, (again, for the first time, whatever) like each other, but for some reason cannot get together. Until they do. And then someone (usually the guy) thinks he's not good enough and breaks it off. And then comes the revelation that they should trust in ...more
Karen
Jan 08, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing
He calls her Susie Sunshine (mockingly to himself) and she says he's Mr. Grumpy, not too great of a start to their relationship, not to mention when she knocks him out cold. PJ and Cole are both determined to get the opportunity to follow their dreams, which depends upon the gift of a large old Victorian home, free of charge. The year ahead proves to be full of challenges for each, but also ripe with possibilities, as they compete for the deed. What happens to them both makes for a great read!
L
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Nov 20, 2014 Aimee (Getting Your Read On) rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook-for-review
Whenever I see a new book by Denise Hunter coming out, I grab it on NetGalley if I can. I love reading anything by her. If you are looking for inspirational, clean romance then you should read this book. Or any books in this Chapel Springs series, really. I've enjoyed them all.

PJ and Cole have a very interesting first meeting. You will love PJ from the very first few moments of this book. Cole may take you a few chapters longer but you will love him too. He is determined to do the right thing al
April
Dec 12, 2014 April rated it really liked it
Four and a Half Stars!
Hunter has crafted another well written and engaging novel, filled with chemistry, heart and a plethora of other things to keep the pages turning! PJ and Cole are sure to find a soft place in your heart; you will cheer for them, hurt with them and enjoy flying through the pages to see how things work out. I chuckled, I cried and I thoroughly enjoyed this novel.

This story is so well done, the characters' lives seem to leap off the pages. And Hunter's message woven in and out
Kristen
Dec 14, 2014 Kristen rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, e-arc, 2014
Welcome to Chapel Springs, Indiana. In the third installment of the Chapel Springs series by Denise Hunter, The Wishing Season, she told us a heart-warming love story about a small town. For Penelope Jane "PJ" McKinley, she wanted to open her own restaurant and B&B to prove to her family she could do it on her own. For Cole Evans, a handyman and adopted by a foster family, he wanted a transitional house for young adults to learn life skills before they can life on their own. When they ...more
Anna Hurtt
Jan 07, 2015 Anna Hurtt rated it it was amazing
This was my first book by Denise, but it will not be the last! I was completely engrossed in this inspirational contemporary romance. The author has created unforgettable characters that tug at your heart strings, making it impossible not to care how their story turns out. I loved how this story came to life and didn't let me go for a moment. I also liked the elements of faith, just enough to make you think without getting too "preachy." And the cover is just gorgeous! I'm definitely looking ...more
Karen
Aug 17, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it
Nice story of competition between a chef and a social worker, who are forced to share a house and place of business for a year. Both resent the other, but over time, they come to respect and accept each other. While they forge a romantic relationship, when the end of the year comes, Cole is in a depression over the death of one of the kids he worked with, and he forfeited his chance at the house. It took some time, but PJ's mom convinced him he had a future, so he returned. They ended up ...more
Wall-to-wall books - wendy
Jan 15, 2016 Wall-to-wall books - wendy rated it really liked it
Another one of my favorite and go-to authors! I pretty much read anything by Denise Hunter because I know its going to be fabulous. And this book was no exception.

This was a very sweet, clean romance. I loved the storyline! I loved the characters! The romance developed very nicely. It was the kind that gives you goosebumps.
This was predictable, but as I always say I don't rally mind that. I don't need a book to be a surprise to be enjoyable!
Over-all this was a very enjoyable, fun, read! I have r
Emilee
Jan 16, 2015 Emilee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-book
Wow! Denise Hunter has done it again. She's so consistent. Every book she writes is amazing! The characters are always fresh. The romance always sizzles! The story line's are never boring.
The McKinley's remind me a little of my family, especially Momma Jo.It's always fun to catch up on the rest of the characters from the first two books in the series. I LOVED this book! I can't wait to read Ryan's story this June!
Lainie Adams
Dec 27, 2014 Lainie Adams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GREAT GREAT GREAT BOOK!!!

I read this wonderful book in one sitting. I loved everything about this book. I loved how the two main characters met, how their relationship developed and the way the story ended. The book was fun, happy, sad at times and very much worth the time spent escaping in its pages. It was a very enjoyable way to spend a snowy Saturday, warm and cozy lost in the pages of the thrill of discovering true love. I highly recommend this book.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Sep 20, 2015 10:53PM
  • Meant to be Mine (Porter Family, #2)
  • You're the One that I Want (Christiansen Family, #6)
  • Here to Stay (Where Love Begins, #2)
  • Somebody Like You
  • Five Days in Skye (MacDonald Family Trilogy, #1)
  • A February Bride (A Year of Weddings, #3)
  • How to Catch a Prince (Royal Wedding, #3)
  • Turnabout's Fair Play (The Matchmakers, #3)
  • Until I Found You
  • Beowulf: Explosives Detection Dog (A Breed Apart, #3)
  • Seagrass Pier (Hope Beach, #3)
  • Sabotaged (Alaskan Courage, #5)
  • Wildflowers from Winter
Denise Hunter is the award-winning author of 30 novels, including The Convenient Groom and A December Bride, which have been made into Hallmark movies.

Denise writes heartwarming, small-town romances. Her readers enjoy the vicarious thrill of falling in love and the promise of a happily-ever-after sigh as they savor the final pages of her books.

Denise lives in Indiana with her husband Kevin and th
More about Denise Hunter...

Chapel Springs (4 books)
  • Barefoot Summer (Chapel Spring, #1)
  • Dancing with Fireflies (Chapel Springs, #2)
  • Married 'til Monday (Chapel Springs, #4)

“They're good, but the Broncos are nothing to sneeze at. Heard of Peyton Manning?"
"I liked him better in blue."
"We all did.”