Start by marking “Just a Duck?” as Want to Read:

Just a Duck?

Carin Bramsen’s beloved Hey, Duck! characters return in this humorous and heartwarming picture book about friendship. Now that Cat has learned to play games that Duck enjoys, it’s Duck’s turn to try things that Cat likes. However, climbing trees and swatting at leaves prove to be a bit tricky for flat-footed Duck. What’s an unlikely pair of friends to do?

"Outstanding." - S
Published January 27th 2015 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Just a Duck?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just a Duck?

Erica
To begin with, I am not a fan of rhyming stories, in general. Of course there are some books whose rhymes enchant me still but, for the most part, rhymey kids books do not bring me pleasure.
Please bear that in mind when I say: The story? It's fine. Good for read-alouds but definitely not my favorite.
I mean, I'm picking up what's been put down: Be content with who you are and celebrate diversity because we all have commonalities amongst our differences. Don't try to be someone else, be happy to b
Ten
Apr 14, 2016 Ten added it
Shelves: picture-this
This is so, so, so cute and sweet. Teeth rotting sweet and the art is fantastic.
Chacha (Vanessa) Centeno
Illustrations are fabulous. A great read for toddlers who like to pretend to be an animal.
Pam
Nov 16, 2016 Pam rated it really liked it
Clever story about being happy with who you are.
Kayla
Oct 12, 2016 Kayla rated it it was amazing
By: Carin Bramsen who is the author and illustrator
A cute story about a duck who is friends with a cat. The duck thinks he is a cat too. The cat tells the duck that he doesn’t see how you’re a cat because it does not have the same features as the cat. They both go off together and try to do the same things as each other but they come to realize they can’t do the same activities such as climb a tree. At the end o f the book the duck saves the cat from drowning in the water and the ca
Lia Keriotis
Oct 09, 2016 Lia Keriotis rated it really liked it
This book was absolutely adorable, it followed a pair of unlikely friends as the duck struggles with his identity. Instead of putting down the duck the cat encourages him and listens to him with an open mind. This shows the reader that you should never tear down someone for their differences or ideas about themselves you should in turn embrace their curiosity.
Ginnette
Oct 05, 2016 Ginnette rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, friendship
To me, this book had an overall sweet and cute theme behind it. When read, I had a soft tone and very soothing which I thought went along well with the book itself. The book is very, soft? For lack of a better word. I really liked the illustrations too, which I thought were very cute and fitting for the book, not too much to overpower the theme and book itself. I don't have much to say about this book, I just overall thought it was cute and enjoyable to read, I would definitely read it to a ...more
Nicole Sanfilippo
Oct 05, 2016 Nicole Sanfilippo rated it really liked it
This is a very cute, heartwarming story to show the importances of friendships. Within a friendship, there has to be compromises, open minds, and an understanding of similarities and differences. This story shows those characteristics between a duck and a cat. The duck finds obstacles when trying to do new things the cat likes, but they find a compromise within.
Regina L
Jun 02, 2015 Regina L rated it it was amazing
Little Duck has decided when he grows up, he will be a cat just like his friend Cat. Cat indulges him and takes him off around the farm to do cat-like activities, walking like a cat, purring, climbing trees, batting leaves. Duck isn’t quite up to snuff, and the two decide maybe Duck just needs time to grow cat ears, claws for climbing, but that he will one day make a great Cat. But then, as they play, disaster strikes as Cat falls in the water. As everyone knows, Cats aren’t great swimmers. ...more
Margie
Jan 24, 2015 Margie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-a-day
Before the first word is read at story time, the guys and gals are asked to stand, hold hands and make a circle. Then those words they love are uttered, let's pretend. You are a baby elephant wanting to get your mother's attention; put your hands together forming a trunk and trumpet. You are a puppy outside for the final time that day with your human; raise your nose to the moon and howl. You are a duckling who just can't keep up; waddle and quack to tell your siblings to slow down. You are a ...more
Barbara
Duck tries ever so desperately to be just like Cat, but sadly, Duck has no ears or claws to use in animal games. Duck tries hard to climb a tree, but to no avail. When Cat's chasing after leaves results in sending him into the water, Duck rescues her friend. As it turns out, Duck is better off being Duck, and Cat is perfectly content being Cat. After all, there's nothing wrong with being just a duck or just a cat, for that matter. The last page shows what they share as they shake off all the ...more
Jtimko
Apr 04, 2015 Jtimko rated it it was amazing
Duck thinks he will soon grow and become a cat. But a sequence of actions show that he will always be a duck and that’s okay with both duck and cat.
This sequel to “Hey Duck!” is sure to be a winner in the picture book crowd. Bright and colorful illustrations along with sparse text will entertain the young reader. Colorful picture tiles present a sequence of action that adds to the storyline. Different typeset distinguishes the duck’s thoughts from the cat’s thoughts. This would be a perfect book
May 10, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: easy-fiction
This is a very sweet book about a duck and a cat who are friends. The duck thinks he is a cat that has just not developed his "cat" parts yet... until he tries to climb a tree. The duck and cat try to play another game and the cat falls into the water. The duck must save the cat and thus accepts his "duckness". A very sweet tale about friends who do not need to be the same in order to care for one another.
Tim
Mar 23, 2015 Tim rated it really liked it
JUST as much fin as the first. And I am just as biased...as a fellow duck (and one of Buffy Sainte Meow's daddies-she bore a striking resemblance to the kitty in this book)

This time out Duckling is convinced he's a cat. Cat goes along with it as much as she can...but in the end--when Cat needs rescuing as only a duck can, duckling comes through.

Love this! And so will Buffy's sibling pussy cats.
Sandra Guerfi
Feb 11, 2015 Sandra Guerfi rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book was adorable. Duck and Cat are friends and Duck is determined to be a cat when he grows up just like his friend. Unfortunately it doesn't seem as if Duck would make a good cat. He doesn't have claws, can't climb trees, and where are his ears? Just as it seems as though Duck's dreams will come to naught he winds up helping Cat out and learns that being what you are is just right sometimes. Really cute and the kids loved it.
Jannah
Apr 16, 2015 Jannah rated it liked it
A story told in rhyme, Duck thinks he's a cat. Cat tries to show duck what cats do. Duck can't, but cat is accepting and duck eventually finds out where his strengths really are.
The rhyming was a little forced at times, but I loved the duck's facial expressions.
Would be good for talking about what types of things animals can do (the cat has claws and can climb trees? Do you know what other animals can climb trees? etc)
Christine
May 19, 2016 Christine rated it really liked it
Bright, colorful pages with bold, warm drawings are what caught my eye at first. This is a fairly simple book that I would recommend for Kindergarten to Second grade. The words are easy enough for the older readers to read and the pictures give clues to the storyline. I would use this story with the concept of prediction younger students. Have them predict or use illustration clues tell what might happen next in the story.
Sara Grochowski
Cat and Duck from Hey, Duck! return in a story filled with rhyme and quick banter. Duck is sure he'll be just like Cat when he grows up - he just needs a little more time for his ears and claws to come in - so he tries to climb trees and slink just like Cat. But, when Cat lands himself in a very wet situation, Duck is glad that he's 'just a duck' and comes to the rescue. Just a Duck? is a story about friendship and how being different can be even better than being the same.
Marg Corjay
Jan 31, 2015 Marg Corjay rated it it was amazing
I would like to give this even more stars! The story is adorable, the rhymes are catchy, the illustrations are gentle and cuddly. It talks about sharing, playing nice with your friends, being helpful, and being patient about growing up. It highlights the fact that we all have our strengths and how to best use them and work together. Plus I LOVE the pictures, even the endpapers look like fluffy ducks.
Diana Thomsen
Feb 18, 2016 Diana Thomsen rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime
This was a cute one, and I do like that it focused on both the differences and similarities of the two different animals. The illustrations were fun and I love the expressions on the faces of the characters. That being said, it didn't really grab me as I would have liked. Not really sure why this is, but, well, that's the way it goes!
Brenda
Mar 31, 2016 Brenda rated it it was amazing
This book is delightful, thoughtful, and beautiful. The illustrations are soft, colorful representations of two friends, and they pull the reader into a simple story that encourages young readers to accept who they are and embrace their skills and limitations. I highly recommend this title for preschool - 1st grade readers, parents, and educators.
Read  Ribbet
Just a Duck? is Carin Bramsen's follow up to Hey Duck returning us to her characters -- a duck and a cat. The story explores the universal theme of being true to oneself while finding what we are best at. The two characters' voices are captured in different fonts, setting up a perfectly formatted book for Reading to Someone. It would be easy to set up for readers theater or partner reading.
Amber
The further adventures of Duck and Cat! In this episode Duck is tired of being 'Just a Duck' so Duck and Cat explore the possibility of Duck being a Cat. However, after several failed attempts Cat finds himself in a slippery situation and Duck comes to the rescue. Maybe being 'Just a Duck' isn't so bad.
Same fantastic illustrations and text as the first book. Yay!
Michelle Eastman
Apr 20, 2015 Michelle Eastman rated it it was amazing
An instant classic. These loveable characters are sure to win the hearts of little ones, as well as their grown-ups! It's a delightful story of friendship that kids will enjoy reading again and again. I highly recommend this series of books!
Carla Glover
Jun 01, 2016 Carla Glover rated it liked it
Scottsdale Public Library
What a sweet and precious book. If you have time, take a look. Duck wants to climb and claw, but learns his webbed feet are not a flaw at all. A non-preachy book on self-acceptance with adorable illustrations. -Sara G
Laurie
Aug 26, 2014 Laurie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-reading
Another great children's book. I wish I had a gigantic pot of gold somewhere so that every public and elementary school library in the country could have copies of all of the great pictures books being published. A worthy addition to a picture book collection.
Chris
A little duck wants to be a cat, but try as he might, he can't climb or do things cats can do. When cat falls into the water, it's up to duck to show just what he CAN do.

Rhyming text.

Absolutely adorable illustrations.
Kristina Jean Lareau
Feb 13, 2016 Kristina Jean Lareau rated it really liked it
The digital illustrations in this read aloud friendship story are just adorable. I want to bring the duck and the cat home to live with me. The angle of animal-idenity-confusion is not uncommon, but it remains quite sweet.
Alice
Aug 22, 2015 Alice rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-25-stars
4.25 Stars I love this book. The illustrations are great! We went to her website to learn about it. She does pencil art and then has a digital tablet. Love the illustrations!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »