Start by marking “Pocket History of the United States” as Want to Read:
Pocket History of the United States

Pocket History of the United States

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  12 reviews
"A Pocket History of the United States" traces the history of the nation that is, today, the oldest constitutional democracy in the world. Written by distinguished American historians, it has more than 2,000,000 copies in print worldwide and is one of the classic works in its field.
Published August 1st 1992 by Pocket Books (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Pocket History of the United States, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pocket History of the United States

Batur
Turkish version of this book was translated and commented by famous earlier Ottoman historian Halil Inalcik.
Enes Ateş
Bir film ile değil de, o akıcılıkta, ayrıntıları gözardı etmeden ve öykü okur gibi Amerika Tarihi öğrenilmek isteniyorsa, bu kitap pek uygun. uzun tasvirler ve subjektif değerlendirmeler sıkıcı olmaktan uzak. hatta bazen pek eğlenceli:)
Anthony
One of my high school books. Alongside Bailey's 「The American Pageant,」this book played a major educational role throughout my undergraduate years. I wish I knew where I last placed it.
Valentin
This is a great wrap up of the American History from 1776 to the 1960's. It gives you a brief summary of the events in the perspctive of a historian. It also shows you the different perspectives of the different sides of the conflicts. I reallly enjoyed the book for all of the information packed into such a samll looking book. I found it really practical to any student. I recommend this to any student.
Mark Singer
This is a one volume history of the United States from the colonial period up through the 1980 Presidential elections as written by two distinguished mainstream historians. If you want a summation of American history in under 700 pages, then this is the book for you. Includes a sixteen page list of suggested books for further reading.
James
After a couple of blatantly racist chapters--in which the authors are thankful for the fact that the "savages" are not very smart--this book picks up. In fact, I learned quite a bit.
Rae
Exactly as the title suggests, this is a very compact history of our great country. It would be a great resource for anyone taking a general American history course.
Ambrose Smith
History of our great nation in paperback form. My copy is tattered and torn from wear and tear. A good reference book. Easy to tote around.
pjr8888
Sep 09, 2013 pjr8888 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Washington Square Press Edition
20th Printing........June, 1963
Stephen Christensen
A very good primer for anyone interested in the basics of US history
JD Carruthers
By Allan Nevins, Henry Steele Commager and Jeffrey Morris.
dead letter office
i immediately forgot everything i learned from this book.
Irina
Irina marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Rizwan
Rizwan marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Hekma Wali
Hekma Wali marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Erica
Erica added it
Oct 08, 2014
Carlotta
Carlotta marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Bethany Claus Widick
Bethany Claus Widick marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Veyselkoca
Veyselkoca is currently reading it
Sep 18, 2014
Eleonora
Eleonora marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Rumia
Rumia marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Laric
Laric added it
Jul 17, 2014
John Gazzelli
John Gazzelli marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Blue and the Gray (2 Vols in 1) The American Mind: An Interpretation of American Thought & Character Since the 1880's The Spirit Of Seventy-six: The Story Of The American Revolution As Told By Participants The Story of World War II: Revised, expanded, and updated from the original text by Henry Steele Commanger Phoenix: The Empire of Reason: How Europe Imagined and America Realized the Enlightenment