Start by marking “Pocket History of the United States” as Want to Read:
Pocket History of the United States

Pocket History of the United States

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  89 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
"A Pocket History of the United States" traces the history of the nation that is, today, the oldest constitutional democracy in the world. Written by distinguished American historians, it has more than 2,000,000 copies in print worldwide and is one of the classic works in its field.
Published August 1st 1992 by Pocket Books (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about Pocket History of the United States, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pocket History of the United States

Ali
Sep 27, 2015 Ali rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ever wonder how United States of America, came to what mighty world power it is now? Henry Steele Commager takes you to journey right from the birth of nation. From the very day the first person landed in the New World! The journey is full of surprises and encompasses Human Imagination along with feats of glory! How the deep rooted principles of Justice and Pursuit of Happiness came to be the essential part of the American Dream. What unites the people in USA and how they progressed to great hei ...more
Batur
Jan 20, 2014 Batur rated it it was amazing
Turkish version of this book was translated and commented by famous earlier Ottoman historian Halil Inalcik.
Shawn Thrasher
Three months and hundreds of years later, I finished this pocket history of the United States. I literally found in a trash can. It was first published in 1942, and was renewed at various times since then; the edition I read is 1986, with Carter and Reagan getting scant coverage (although Carter's place in history already seemed to be firmly set in 1986). If you are looking for a modern history of the United States, this probably shouldn't be the book you pick up. What's interesting about this b ...more
James Stavola
Apr 15, 2016 James Stavola rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: james-stavola
US Pocket History: Colonial to Modern Times

A pocket History of the United States Revised Edition
Allan Nevins, Henry Commager, and Jeff Morris
The book is one of the most informative and educaitonal books I have ever read. The book features text from when the first settlers came to North America to Ronald Reagans Presidency and everything in between. Also at the end there is a list of biographies related to history. I love history and memorizing the presidents. I learned that Abe Lincoln was 6'
Enes
Sep 16, 2012 Enes rated it really liked it
Bir film ile değil de, o akıcılıkta, ayrıntıları gözardı etmeden ve öykü okur gibi Amerika Tarihi öğrenilmek isteniyorsa, bu kitap pek uygun. uzun tasvirler ve subjektif değerlendirmeler sıkıcı olmaktan uzak. hatta bazen pek eğlenceli:)
Anthony
Mar 14, 2014 Anthony rated it really liked it
One of my high school books. Alongside Bailey's 「The American Pageant,」this book played a major educational role throughout my undergraduate years. I wish I knew where I last placed it.
Valentin
Mar 01, 2009 Valentin rated it really liked it
This is a great wrap up of the American History from 1776 to the 1960's. It gives you a brief summary of the events in the perspctive of a historian. It also shows you the different perspectives of the different sides of the conflicts. I reallly enjoyed the book for all of the information packed into such a samll looking book. I found it really practical to any student. I recommend this to any student.
Mark Singer
Feb 19, 2011 Mark Singer rated it really liked it
This is a one volume history of the United States from the colonial period up through the 1980 Presidential elections as written by two distinguished mainstream historians. If you want a summation of American history in under 700 pages, then this is the book for you. Includes a sixteen page list of suggested books for further reading.
Mustafa Doğruoğlu
Feb 22, 2015 Mustafa Doğruoğlu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Halil İnalcık çevirisinden dolayı sanırım, yağ gibi aktı sayfalar. Bir gecede eritebileceğiniz güzel bir kitap
James
Aug 03, 2009 James rated it liked it
After a couple of blatantly racist chapters--in which the authors are thankful for the fact that the "savages" are not very smart--this book picks up. In fact, I learned quite a bit.
Rae
May 07, 2008 Rae rated it liked it
Exactly as the title suggests, this is a very compact history of our great country. It would be a great resource for anyone taking a general American history course.
Ambrose Smith
Aug 06, 2008 Ambrose Smith rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
History of our great nation in paperback form. My copy is tattered and torn from wear and tear. A good reference book. Easy to tote around.
pjr8888
Sep 09, 2013 pjr8888 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Washington Square Press Edition
20th Printing........June, 1963
Stephen Christensen
Mar 29, 2012 Stephen Christensen rated it really liked it
A very good primer for anyone interested in the basics of US history
JD Carruthers
By Allan Nevins, Henry Steele Commager and Jeffrey Morris.
dead letter office
Apr 11, 2008 dead letter office rated it liked it
i immediately forgot everything i learned from this book.
Gülcan çoksusamış
Gülcan çoksusamış marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Fawad
Fawad marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Syed Hussain
Syed Hussain marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Pablo Daniel
Pablo Daniel marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Graciela Maldonado
Graciela Maldonado marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Nancy Coder
Nancy Coder marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Sami Jamil
Sami Jamil marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Jason Hahn
Jason Hahn is currently reading it
Jun 01, 2016
Nestor
Nestor marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Hediye  Demet
Hediye Demet is currently reading it
May 20, 2016
Nazar
Nazar marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
نوید صافی
نوید صافی marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Meglio
Meglio marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
  • The Mammoth Book Of Native Americans
  • A Primer of Freudian Psychology
  • 722 Miles: The Building of the Subways and How They Transformed New York
  • Growing Up in New Guinea
  • Born for Liberty: A History of Women in America (Free Press)
  • Tecumseh: A Life
  • The Book of Heroic Failures: The Official Handbook of the Not Terribly Good Club of Great Britain
  • Merlin
  • A History of Hand Knitting
  • The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah
Henry Steele Commager was an American historian who helped define Modern liberalism in the United States for two generations through his 40 books and 700 essays and reviews.
More about Henry Steele Commager...