Start by marking “Royal Blood” as Want to Read:
Royal Blood

Royal Blood (Royal Blood / Sang Royal #1-3)

Wounded, betrayed and left for dead, King Alvar returns to his kingdom to regain his stolen throne.

But his own horrific appetites may be his undoing...
Published November 18th 2014 by Titan Comics

To ask other readers questions about Royal Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Royal Blood

Myke Cole
Jan 08, 2016 Myke Cole rated it it was ok
Royal Blood is a book of gorgeous art sandbagged by terrible writing. Liu's beautiful, haunting landscapes and ethereal figures drown in a story that is incoherent, boring and at times downright creepy.

I'm seeing a trend in recent comics that I call the "atrocity catalog." AC fiction have writers pushing the limits of their imaginations to produce work that plunges into the depths of the human capacity for depravity. ACs *can* be really compelling, as in Garth Ennis' Crossed (for comics) or Cor
Marquise
Aug 30, 2016 Marquise rated it really liked it
Bought this intégrale edition for the art by Dongzi Liu, of whom I've become a great fan because of how beautiful and stunning his work is.

I'm giving this 4 stars globally for the three volumes it collects, each of which I've already read, rated and reviewed separately, and after rereading them in this collected edition for a second time, I pretty much reiterate all I've said before.
Marina
May 12, 2016 Marina rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-and-sf
Ilustracije su predivne, priča je OK i dosta kontroverzna, ali je tekst loše napisan.
Paolo Macri
Oct 04, 2016 Paolo Macri rated it did not like it
This is with out a doubt one of the worst books (for sure the worst graphic novel) I have ever read in my life.

The artwork is amazing but the writing is so bad its cringe worthy, with subject matter that is forced in and makes no sense. I don't mind off putting subject matter, if it makes sense and has a place in a story for the purpose of plot building, but all the off putting subject matter in this 'book' is done entirely for shock value.

We have a father that meets his long lost daughter in
Morgan Yew
Dec 24, 2014 Morgan Yew rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
A bit disappointing, really. The opening pages promise much, visually. A rain of blood from Alvar's sword was particularly stunning in the third frame. What followed was a bit of a magical fairy tale of GOT-like incest and political intrigue. The pacing could have enjoyed more wordless panels with more time to savour events before turning the story on its side to advance one plot twist after another. None of this will stop us from devouring Jodorowsky's work, but it may lead us to question ...more
Woowott
Jun 22, 2016 Woowott rated it it was ok
The art is gorgeous. Absolutely and utterly beautiful. Liu did a phenomenal job with every panel.

The story, eh, not so much.

Everyone is pretty much awful in this, which is fine; but that only works when the writing is good. The writing here is clunky and dense and so very, very purple. Purple prose becomes purple dialogue here. And lots of ucky things happen--assumed incest between a father and daughter (who aren't actually related, but they don't know that), and that gets creepy. The absurd men
Ben
May 31, 2016 Ben rated it did not like it
This is the worst comic in existence. The worst writing I have ever seen. I would laugh at the bad writing, but it's just so terrible it causes revulsion. It's as if a three year old was writing the characters. They have no depth and are completely unbelieveable. The story jumps all over the place and people change their emotions for no reason. The only positive thing I can say is that the artwork is well done. But it's not so unique that you should read it.

Please, don't waste your time or mone
Anthony Hoskelis
Jul 31, 2016 Anthony Hoskelis rated it it was amazing
An "accessible" Jodorowsky graphic novel? Amazingly, yes. At a little over 100 pages, this medieval Shakespearean tragedy-like of a king trying to regain his throne will stay with you for quite some time. Full of violence, sex, betrayal, and revenge set to beautiful illustrations, this one-shot story is perfect for the "Game of Thrones" crowd. Recommended.
Amy
May 30, 2015 Amy rated it it was ok
I'm a fan of Jodorowsky's work, and I wanted to like this more. Consistency in character development was sacrificed for the sake of plot twists. The art was well-done, if a bit imitative of the current GoT / LOTR fantasy aesthetic.
Andrew Terentyev
Jun 17, 2016 Andrew Terentyev rated it really liked it
The writing is a bit hackneyed but the artwork is excellent. You won't read anything that you haven't heard before, but it's highly entertaining and definitely worth a read nonetheless.
Inga
Inga rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2015
Reggie Kray
Nov 18, 2015 Reggie Kray rated it it was amazing
Amazing art. Twisted, wonderful plot. Highly recommended!
LynnnCL
LynnnCL rated it liked it
May 23, 2016
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2015
Adrian Dumitru
Adrian Dumitru rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2015
Anthony
Anthony rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2015
Mats Forssblad
Mats Forssblad rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2016
Crud Mucosa
Crud Mucosa rated it did not like it
Apr 23, 2016
Ryan
Ryan rated it did not like it
May 11, 2015
Jose Rubio
Jose Rubio rated it it was ok
Nov 27, 2014
Nuno Ribeiro
Nuno Ribeiro rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2016
Miguel
Miguel rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Iris
Iris rated it did not like it
Aug 05, 2015
Everett Lathrop
Everett Lathrop rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2016
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it did not like it
Nov 03, 2016
Justin
Justin rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2015
Chad
Chad rated it liked it
May 10, 2015
Amir Hossein
Amir Hossein rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Also credited as Alexandro Jodorowsky

Better known for his surreal films El Topo and The Holy Mountain filmed in the early 1970s, Alejandro Jodorowsky is also an accomplished writer of graphic novels and a psychotherapist. He developed Psychomagic, a combination of psychotherapy and shamanic magic. His fans have included John Lennon and Marilyn Manson.
More about Alejandro Jodorowsky...

Royal Blood / Sang Royal (4 books)
  • Noces sacrilèges (Sang Royal, #1)
  • Crime et châtiment (Sang Royal, #2)
  • Sang Royal, tome 3: Des loups et des rois