Start by marking “The Digital Photography Book (Volume 2)” as Want to Read:
The Digital Photography Book (Volume 2)

The Digital Photography Book (The Digital Photography Book: The Step-By-Step Secrets for How to Make Your Photos Look Like the Pros! #2)

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,134 Ratings  ·  95 Reviews
Scott Kelby, author of the groundbreaking bestseller The Digital Photography Book, Vol. 1 is back with an entirely new book that picks up right where Vol. 1 left off. It s more of that Ah ha so that s how they do it, straight-to-the-point, skip the techno jargon; packed with stuff you can really use today, that made Vol. 1 the world s bestselling book on digital photograph ...more
Published January 6th 2008 by Peachpit Press (first published January 5th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Digital Photography Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Digital Photography Book

The Digital Photography Book by Scott KelbyThe Digital Photography Book by Scott KelbyThe Photographer's Eye by Michael   FreemanLight by Fil HunterUnderstanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson
Best Photography Books
2nd out of 47 books — 56 voters
Understanding Exposure by Bryan PetersonThe Digital Photography Book by Scott KelbyThe Photographer's Eye by Michael   FreemanWithin the Frame by David duCheminVision & Voice by David duChemin
Best Digital Photography Books
6th out of 17 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Erin
Mar 15, 2008 Erin rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: amateur photographers; anyone who's recently purchased a digital SLR
Shelves: nonfiction, own
There are a lot of great tips in this volume, but it wasn't quite as helpful to me as Volume 1 was. A large portion of Volume 2 is dedicated to setting up your home studio (something that's appealing to me, but not realistic at the present time) and wedding photography. Volume 1 was geared a little more toward the "everyday-joe" amateur, while Volume 2 seems to be geared more toward those who are considering or beginning to go the professional route.

I still found a lot of great tips on lighting
Efka
Feb 22, 2016 Efka rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Nors šioje knygoje patarimų ir įvairių smulkių tricks'ų yra pakankamai nemažai, ji nebėra tokia naudinga, kaip pirmoji knyga, nes yra daug labiau orientuota į nuosavos studijos kūrimą bei vestuvių fotografiją. Nieko nesakau, reikalingos temos, bet tikrai ne pirmaeilės svarbos. Šiaip geriausia abi knygas skaityti kaip vieną, tada skirtumas tarp jų ne toks žymus.

Kažko naudingo iš jos, be abejo, išmokau, bet pirma buvo žymiai geresnė bei suteikusi daugiau žinių. Na ir žinoma, medinių bajeriukų kie
Rolf Häsänen
Jan 03, 2009 Rolf Häsänen rated it really liked it
Shelves: photography
Not as many useful tips as volume1 unless you go for studio photography. Still I would recommend you to buy this volume too - well worth it and bring it (& vol1) along on your trips.

Example of my photos after reading the book->

Green Lake - Iceland.jpg

Icelandic Sheep working hard.JPG

Coral in light
Bruce
Mar 06, 2009 Bruce rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Bruce by: Definitely an enemy.
OMG. Surely the absolute worst, amature photo book I have ever had the misfortune of reading. This self proclaimed photographer, Scott Kelby, does not take pictures, he sells books. Even the models he attempts to shoot(due to his lack of ability, he probably has to hire some underpaid flunkie to do this) are just plain gross. Mr Kelby is an ass, truly an amature, and pathetic for trying to take advantage of those who want to lean something about Digital Photography. Please, do yourself a favor, ...more
Cedric Jean-marie
I originally bought this trilogy for my wife when she got into photography, shortly after however I got suckered into it as well and am now more involved in it then she. Since we had these books I figured I'd give them a once over. I believe if the books reach their intended audience they are sure to be a valuable asset.

From the get go Kelby explains his thinking behind these books as a casual conversation between friends where he leaves out much or all of the theory and just tells you straight
Candice
Dec 12, 2008 Candice rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Amateur photographers who are past the basics and are looking for the next set of great tips
Recommended to Candice by: http://yanikphotoschool.com/
I'd actually give this 4.5 out of 5 stars for a photography book. I had picked it up at Borders once and flipped through it, but ultimately put it back on the shelf because I wanted a book with a bit more meat to it. My mistake. Not realizing it was the same book, I ordered it online after reading a strong recommendation for it on a Santa's Gift Bag post on a photography blog I read. The book lives up to its recommendation.

Great book with useful, one-page/one-scenario tips on how to best improv
Manish
Jul 06, 2015 Manish rated it it was amazing
I read Part 1 to 4 of this series.

Very helpful practical, technical book..

Buy this.. u will learn a lot about studio, portrait, landscape, travel, sports photography practical tips..

For any query mail at manish.ray03@gmail.com / write at https://www.facebook.com/raysclicks
Erin Hanton
Apr 07, 2016 Erin Hanton rated it liked it
Not nearly as good as part 1. While part one will sit near my desk as a reference for a long time, I'll just put this one away. In part one he said he didn't want to include a bunch of basic explanations you could get in every other photography book in existence, but here they are, in part two. A handful of good pages, and still loving the format, but not a big fan.
Edwin Canlapan
May 07, 2014 Edwin Canlapan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography
If you want a straight forward photography book. This is it. It's the best photography book I ever had. All 4 volumes.
Bruce
Sep 02, 2009 Bruce rated it really liked it
Shelves: photography
Kelby has the knack. This is a re-read for me as I wanted something that I could do easily in a night while on the road. The fact that he can explain, in a page or less, what it takes to make high quality pictures is pretty amazing. McNally saw the light and is another good example of how to take something that is complicated in practice and bring clarity in very little space. For me, it works. I'd give vol. 1 and 2 of Kelby's Digital Photo books 5 stars if he didn't push his friends and his spo ...more
Mohammed Alshanakhnakh
Jan 27, 2013 Mohammed Alshanakhnakh rated it really liked it
Pretty much the same deal as the first volume. Lost one star as it wasn't as helpful to me as the first one, since this one focused on sitting up your own studio, which I wasn't into at the time.

here is what I wrote for the first volume:

"The best book I've seen on photography. Full with practical knowledge and great tips. Nothing too technical here or theoretical. Basically, "If you want to take a picture like this, do this" and occasionally "but you need to buy this or that equipment". Short an
Mohamed Korym
Sep 12, 2015 Mohamed Korym rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
كتاب جيد جدا للمبتدئين بعالم التصوير الرقمي واستخدام كاميرات ال DSLR
Bhanu Vadlamani
Dec 11, 2015 Bhanu Vadlamani rated it really liked it
Not as many important tips for an amateur as in Volume 1. But worth the read if you are into photography. It is really important to keep all the tips you read in mind while taking the pictures, which is plain impossible, because most of the time, you are working with moments that can't be brought back. So practice and practice till you can release that shutter at the right moment with the right settings in place. Reading the book doesn't really help if you do not take your camera and get out wit ...more
Mskychick
Jun 07, 2015 Mskychick rated it really liked it
Shelves: pc-library
Good, but not as useful as volume 1 to me
Jewelle
Mar 18, 2010 Jewelle rated it liked it
I was a little disappointed with this book. Nowhere did this book say that it was for professionals. A lot of the information only applied to pros and or an amateur with a long standing photography business. However, as an everyday photo person I was able to glean a few helpful hints I can use to ensure my pictures are better. One thing that amazed me about this book though was the AMAZING setup. All of Scott's information was straight to the point and easy to understand. Also having a tip per p ...more
Cyril
Dec 07, 2008 Cyril rated it liked it
This book is a sequel to Volume 1. As such, it covers the same territory as the first but goes into techniques a bit more advanced. I read both books straight through, but may have been better served by practicing a bit more before moving on to this volume. The book is clearly written in short sections, and the author's humor remains intact.

The most salient thing that I learned from these two books is that, after spending $1800 on a camera and lens, I'll have to spend $100s, perhaps $1000s more
Bshaiers
Mar 10, 2014 Bshaiers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
جدا جميل الكتاب و شرح واضح
Rashed AlAbdouli
I advice this book for the beginners and for each one who wants to be a professional photographer. In this book, the author concentrated more on talking about the lighting, studios, portrait, and how to use the flash. I will keep this book as a refernce to help me to find answers to the most common photography questions.

كتاب رائع أنصح فيه لكل مبتدئ في مجال التصوير أو من لديه الطموح ليصبح مصور محترف. في هذا الجزء، الكاتب تحدث مطولا عن الاضاءة ،تجهيز الاستديو، استخدام الفلاش، و تصوير البورتريه.
Bader
Apr 25, 2009 Bader rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
تعجبني الأعمال المترجمة بإتقان. الكتاب جميل جدًا ومفيد.
يختلف الجزء الثاني عن الأول بالتالي:
- إضافة تذييل عند ذكر أي جهاز أو "ملحقات" يحتوي على ثلاثة أنواع مقسمة على حسب السعر.
- الحديث بتفصيل أكثر عن أنواع من التصوير.
- ليس هناك الكثير من المفردات الإنجليزية عند الحديث على شيء مثل "سرعة الغالق", "الحبيبات", أو مايشابه ذلك كما في الجزء الأول. وهذا مقبول إلى حد ما كون هئا الجزء لمن يريد التعمق أكثر.

مكان الجزئين في حقيبة الكاميرا بالتأكيد لأني ساحتاج إن أعود إليه كلما احتجت إليه.
Debbie
May 23, 2009 Debbie rated it liked it
Shelves: photography
Much the same as the first Volume in this series, but with added extras. This book covers the same variety of topics, but with slightly different tips, or new things to try for different results.

A great book to dip in and out of, and definitely one that can be used as reference material.

More of Scott Kelby's quirky sense of humour, however I still found this book helpful and informative, and one to try if you're hoping to improve your photography.
Leone
Apr 07, 2009 Leone rated it really liked it
Shelves: photography
I found The Digital Photography Book Volume 2 to be a good source of information on DSLR photography. I don't believe that it was quite as useful as the first volume, but that may be because it spends a lot of time talking about flash and studio lighting for portraits and weddings which I have limited interest in.
Mark
Dec 27, 2008 Mark rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it, photography
Really short, but really useful follow-up to Volume 1. This one focuses more on studio/flash lighting, as well as some additional wedding/landscape tips. Kelby does seem to miss some quality gear in more accessible dollar ranges (i.e. Alien Bees lighting, shoot-through umbrellas (he dislikes umbrellas but fails to mention their positive uses). Overall a helpful follow-up and a must read for those starting out.
Andrea
Jun 04, 2012 Andrea rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book for beginners. He shows you a picture and then explains how he was able to get that particular shot to look good. He explains terminology and keeps things fairly simple so that you can experiment with photography and have success. This is more of a spring board into photography. He does not go into a lot of depth, but gives some great tips and tricks.
Kerrin  Mountcastle
Jul 08, 2015 Kerrin Mountcastle rated it really liked it
Shelves: life
I haven't read volume one, so this was a huge help and inspiration to me as a beginning photographer. I recommend it to people in all stages. Very helpful for detailed photography!
Icepick
Nov 29, 2010 Icepick rated it it was amazing
The format may not be for everybody, but I really liked the concise nature of it. The organization is quite good and the sporadic humor keeps you engaged. The way the book lays out, each page is one concept. It isn't wrapped in a bunch of theory, it's basically "do this". I found it a great way to pick up tips and techniques.
Scottsdale Public Library
After reading several handbooks on photography, this one was refreshing. The author's writing style comes across as if he was right there talking to you. The content is direct; he gives you exactly what you want to know without beating around the bush. A very valuable resource for the aspiring photographer.
-Kassandra VL
Verlyn Lastierre
Aug 08, 2010 Verlyn Lastierre rated it it was amazing
I actually learned something after 24 hours of reading and re-reading it (and a whole lot of practice shooting). This is a photography book with less jargon and other hard -to-understand technicalities, written a casual, funny manner, and very informative. You never knew it was that simple.
Benedetto Piscitello
Jul 29, 2013 Benedetto Piscitello rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography
Great book. A lot of good general tips and great intro about off-camera flash and strobes. Explanations on how to use them, why and what you need in order to get beautiful looks. It gives also many tips on websites and shops in order to find specific gears.

Ready to read the 3rd Volume.
Bonnie
Mar 12, 2011 Bonnie rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, 2011
Good book; great companion to the Volume 1 book where I learned a tremendous amount. There is not too much overlap in this 2nd volume, but much of it was geared to someone who is looking to set up a studio or invest a lot more money into their DSLR camera than I am.
Shari
Feb 26, 2009 Shari rated it really liked it
Shelves: photography
Another good read from Scott Kelby. If you have to choose between Vol I or II go with Volume I. This volume is more additional information but geared for more of the want to be professional rather than just the hobbyist/enthusiast photographer.
  • The Moment It Clicks: Photography Secrets from One of the World's Top Shooters
  • Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera
  • Within the Frame: The Journey of Photographic Vision
  • Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting
  • The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos
  • The Negative (Ansel Adams Photography, #2)
  • National Geographic Photography Field Guide: Secrets to Making Great Pictures
  • Photography
  • Mastering Digital SLR Photography
  • John Shaw's Nature Photography Field Guide

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Scott Kelby is an American author and publisher of periodicals dealing in Macintosh and Personal Computer software, specifically for design professionals, photographers, and artists.

Kelby is editor and publisher of Photoshop User and Layers magazines, president and co-founder of the National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP) and is president of Kelby Media Group, an Oldsmar, Florida-ba
More about Scott Kelby...

The Digital Photography Book: The Step-By-Step Secrets for How to Make Your Photos Look Like the Pros! (5 books)
  • The Digital Photography Book (Volume 1)
  • The Digital Photography Book (Volume 3)
  • The Digital Photography Book (Volume 4)
  • The Digital Photography Book, Part 5: Photo Recipes

“If you've taken a photo with your camera's pop-up flash, you're probably wondering how camera manufacturers list pop-up flash as a feature and keep a straight face. It's probably because the term "pop-up flash" is actually a marketing phrase dreamed up by a high-powered PR agency, because its original, more descriptive, and more accurate name is actually "the ugly-maker.” 10 likes