Start by marking “Hold of the Bone” as Want to Read:
Hold of the Bone

Hold of the Bone

Things are great for LAPD Lieutenant Franco; she's sober, loved, eligible for retirement—and bored absolutely out of her mind. When her squad is called out to investigate a decades-old homicide, Frank happily volunteers to "get out of Dodge" and follow the clues north to a small town in the Salinas Valley.

There, the evidence unexpectedly leads Frank into the untamed wilder
Published June 2nd 2015 by Bywater Books (first published February 10th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Hold of the Bone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hold of the Bone

Bett
Sep 20, 2015 Bett rated it it was amazing
I have read all the books in the Lt Franco series, all of them dark and gritty. This latest in the series, Hold of the Bone, is perhaps the finest example of author Clare Baxter Trautman's writing. Vivid descriptions create a sense of awe and wonder in the natural surroundings, and dialogue and characterizations are just as finely drawn.
Lt Franco, an LAPD homicide detective, is contemplating retirement, and rolls on a case of a body unearthed at a construction site. She takes on this decades-old
Jae Park
Jun 11, 2015 Jae Park rated it really liked it
Shelves: firstreads
I received a free ARC copy of this book from Goodreads First Reads, thanks!
The story begins with the main character, Lieutenant Franco (who is nicknamed Frank even though she is female) getting a phone call about some bones being discovered at a former tool and die shop. Once the police force determines who the victim is, Frank starts the investigation by talking to family members.
The name of the victim is Dominic Saladino. His daughter lives in the Santa Lucia mountain range. When Frank goe
Mary Sue
May 03, 2015 Mary Sue rated it it was ok
I received this book as an ARC through Goodreads First Reads. I did not really like this book. I didn't find that it focused enough on the actual murder investigation as I would have liked. I also found some of the plot lines (such as the detective's interactions with one of the suspects) were a bit too far fetched for me.
Barrett
Aug 03, 2015 Barrett rated it it was amazing
Stunning. This story was a riveting read with a compelling mystery wrapped in a gauzy film of mystical imagery. I couldn't put it down, and when I finished, I couldn't leave Celadores. Well Done, Ms Trautman!!
Martha Miller
Aug 05, 2015 Martha Miller rated it it was amazing
Well written. Same great hard boiled homicide lieutenant, Frank, on a new and transformative case.
W. Tinkanesh
Sep 27, 2015 W. Tinkanesh rated it it was amazing
I have been aware for a while that lesbian romances have become more popular than lesbian detective stories. I’ve always preferred the latter. I was wandering in my local library, browsing my favourite shelves, when my eyes spotted ‘Hold of the Bone’ by Baxter Clare Trautman. At last, something to relax over the weekend!

LAPD Lieutenant L.A. Franco, aka Frank, thinks she is happy. She’s been sober for five years, she has a girlfriend, she is eligible for retirement, homicide has gone down in her
Carol
Dec 01, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
I have a rule about reading mystery series in order, but I broke it for Baxter Clare Trautman's Hold of the Bone, and I'm glad that I did. In addition, there's more than a little of the New Age/pagan in me, and I appreciate it when an author mixes that particular spice into their literary dish. I especially enjoy it when a character is blessed with psychic abilities but tries to deny them. Call me perverse, but there's something uniquely satisfying about seeing a cool, rational, calculating type ...more
Nicki Hill
Dec 11, 2015 Nicki Hill rated it really liked it
i had low expectations for this book, not sure why... judging a book by it's cover perhaps? sometimes the dialogue was a bit cheesy, but all said it done it was a good story. i kept thinking about much better season 2 of true detective would've been had they adapted this story for television. i liked the whole visions and metaphysical, land energy, etc that this book had going for it.
Laurie
Laurie rated it liked it
May 09, 2016
MaryAnne Pennington
MaryAnne Pennington rated it it was ok
Aug 10, 2015
Deb
Deb rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2015
Cheri
Cheri rated it it was ok
Sep 14, 2016
James Lynam
James Lynam rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2015
Cindy
Cindy rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2015
Kae Cheatham
Kae Cheatham rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
May 03, 2015
DiAnn R. Ennis
DiAnn R. Ennis rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2015
Murphy
Murphy rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2015
PJ Jones
PJ Jones rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
Julie Murphy
Julie Murphy rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2015
Tina
Tina rated it did not like it
Jun 19, 2016
W. Gregory Kett
W. Gregory Kett rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2015
Janet
Janet rated it liked it
May 22, 2016
Theapapi
Theapapi rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2016
Heather Henkel
Heather Henkel rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2015
Sami Finn
Sami Finn rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2015
Nolly  Sepulveda
Nolly Sepulveda rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2015
Cbsd library
Cbsd library rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2015
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2016
J.E.J. Fern
J.E.J. Fern rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2015
  • Gaudi Afternoon (Cassandra Reilly, #1)
  • Ten Little Lesbians
  • Damn Straight
  • Stoner McTavish (Stoner McTavish Mysteries, #1)
  • She Waits (Kate Ryan, #1)
  • No Good Reason (The Dark Peak, #1)
  • The Rainey Season (Rainey Bell, #3)
  • Deadline (Sam Perry Mystery, #1)
  • Ill Will (Micky Knight, #7)
  • Angel Fire
  • Shadows & Dreams (Kate Kane, Paranormal Investigator, #2)
  • Conflict of Interest
  • South Phoenix Rules
  • High Desert (Kate Delafield, #9)
  • Dead Weight (Bill Gastner Mystery, #8)
  • Shell Game

“My past has absolutely no attraction for me, but meanwhile I’m stumbling around in the dark trying to find the doorknob into my future.” “The doorknob? Have you even found the damn door yet?” “No,” Frank admits. “Then quit looking for the knob! When you find the door, then you can start worrying about how to open it. ’Til then, relax.” Mary” 0 likes