Start by marking “Terrorism and War” as Want to Read:
Terrorism and War

Terrorism and War

Truth—as Zinn shows us in the interviews that make up Terrorism and War—has indeed been the first casualty of war, starting from the beginnings of American empire in the Spanish-American War. But war has many other casualties, he argues, including civil liberties on the home front and human rights abroad. In Terrorism and War, Zinn explores the growth of the American empir ...more
Published March 5th 2002 by Seven Stories Press (first published February 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Terrorism and War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Terrorism and War

Kym Andrew Robinson
Aug 30, 2015 Kym Andrew Robinson rated it liked it
I had wanted to read this book for some time, being that I am a fan of much of Zinn's work. I some how managed to come across this book at a charity book store and I was most excited. I soon devoured the pages and though it was a quick read and like most of Zinn well written. I felt some what let down.

The book is formatted in a way that has Zinn responding to questions, so it is not so much a book as it is a Q and A compendium. Being that this book was written soon after the US invasion of Afgha
Lisa
May 19, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it
This book articulated clearly a lot of what I already felt and feel about the wars in Afghanistan, Iraq, and elsewhere. Zinn does an excellent job of articulating the ways in which the media, religion and nationalism were used to whip up support for the War on Terror, and in articulating how it was not just the war on Iraq that was and is unjust, but the war on Afghanistan as well. He calls for looking for more sensible and sustainable solutions to the problem of terrorism, and acknowledges the ...more
sologdin
Jun 11, 2011 sologdin rated it it was ok
articulates the standard left response to the subject matter: 'terrorism' is a crime to be handled by law, rather than war, which is itself also a crime.
David Sarkies
Jan 18, 2013 David Sarkies rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Activists
Shelves: politics
A lesson in double-speak and the futility of sanctions
18 January 2013

I guess the difference between terrorism and war is the same as that between a pirate and and emperor, namely that the emperor acts on the authority of a state where as a pirate acts upon his own authority, but when we raise the question of the source of that authority we wonder whether there is any real difference between a pirate and an emperor. As the pirate king said to Alexander the Great, the only difference between the
Emily
Jan 25, 2008 Emily rated it liked it
Recommends it for: lefties and righties
Shelves: politics-culture
A compilation of interviews with Howard Zinn between September 2001 and January 2002, I found the content here to be insightful in a way typical of Zinn, but maybe a little repetitive (due to the format of the compilation). It is interesting now, several years later, to read interviews so soon after 9/11, when the shock and hurt of that event were still fresh, and the turn to nationalistic rhetoric was so quick and unquestioned. Zinn critiques the call to unity "we have to line up behind our pre ...more
Tom Schulte
Obviously, publication here was prompted by and in reaction to the terrorist acts of September 11, 2001, Terrorism and War is the first full-length work in a number of years. Acutely observant, this sagely historian presents the facets of America's War on Terrorism not covered on CNN or in White House press meetings. The book is in the format of a lengthy interview chunked out in chapters. This approach directs the discussions directly to the mechanics and motivations of America's situation and ...more
Stephanie Scelza
I don't remember much about this except that i had trouble with it.
Rich
Dec 21, 2010 Rich rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read Howard Zinn...
Olivia Mcclure
Review of Terrorism and War By Howard Zinn
Review by Olivia McClure
On a topic as serious and intense as war and terrorism there will always be two opposite opinions on where to go or what to do with it. Should we have more security in airports? Should there be a more strict restraint on baring arms? Will we protect our country at all costs even if it means losing the trust of the world? In the end each country will speak for them self. If you bomb our land, we’ll invade yours. If you blow-up our
C. Scott
Sep 10, 2014 C. Scott rated it really liked it
Very satisfying... I was overjoyed when I found this slim volume at a garage sale. Zinn's People's History of the United States was a real eye-opener for me and I'd highly recommend this man's work to anyone.

This book reminded me a lot of Noam Chomsky's Power and Terror which came out around the same time, has a similar viewpoint, and even shares the same question and answer format. The most important takeaway from both books I think is to question the modern definition of terrorism. Of course w
Sherry
Oct 08, 2008 Sherry rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Howard Zinn is an incredibly astute observer of society and current events. He is so articulate that every word he utters is quotable. In short, he is a genius. I only wish he'd written more books than he has.

This book is his argument against war as a means to achieve an end, particularly as it is used to attempt to combat terrorism. It's a very short book -- I read it in about two hours.

I think everyone should read this book and seriously consider their role as citizens of a country that perpe
Matt
May 12, 2009 Matt rated it it was amazing
Howard Zinn's optimism is mind-boggling. Consider this a PEOPLE'S HISTORY OF THE LAST SEVEN YEARS, except written at the beginning.

How one person can so eloquently hit grand-slam after grand-slam in the world of "talking about those things we're all sick of talking about" is beyond my understanding. I'd take to the book with a highlighter, but there would be no point - every sentence is THE perfect pull-quote for peace or rational foreign policy.

I recommend most media as something someone would
Lance R. Goebel
Aug 30, 2012 Lance R. Goebel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This isn't exactly a review - more of a personal sentiment concerning the book that I'm feeling the need to copy down.

This book is very special to me - it's the first book I'd ever read all the way through. When I was in 6th grade, I asked my father to give me a book to read - I wanted to learn about what was going on in the world. This was the book he chose. I consumed it readily - reading it through class, lunch, and recess. Such habits continued. My freshman year in high school I was kicked o
Dustin
Oct 30, 2013 Dustin rated it it was amazing
Howard Zinn is a brilliant man whose knowledge of history speaks for itself. Regardless of the issue, Zinn's outlook remains positive as he seeks to enlighten the world concerning the need for a non-violent means of interacting with one another. This tremendous, brief set of interviews touches on many American-Imperialist related events from the past 250 years, but specifically the U.S. reaction after September 11, 2001 and our rejoinder, Bush's "war on terror" & offensives in Afghanistan.
Jack
Aug 15, 2016 Jack rated it really liked it
"Imagine what that $350 billion that we spend every year on being a military superpower could do to help people, to combat AIDS, to feed people, to immunize people. We could use the great wealth... to pay for free health care for all, affordable housing for all, and helping people in other parts of the world."
Ming Jiu Li
Apr 06, 2013 Ming Jiu Li rated it really liked it
Good read - a clear indictment of imperialists and mainstream media, provided some philosophical perspectives for the reader to grapple with. It's also an excellent resource, introducing other authors and their works.
Cameron
May 08, 2008 Cameron rated it liked it
A book that promotes the argument against going to war with Iraq. It is a quick and easy read though I found some of the logic flawed. Then again the justification of participating in any war should not be taken lightly.
Alberto
Jul 31, 2010 Alberto rated it really liked it
A series of excerpts from interviews to the author in the aftermath of 9/11 in which Zinn explains why dissent is necessary to keep having the democracy we are supposed to be living in. Interesting and fast reading.
Noor Talpur
Jun 12, 2015 Noor Talpur rated it really liked it
Anything and everything by Howard Zinn is worth reading just for getting alternative perspectives on history.Plus you get to know a tonne of primary sources that most people won't have even heard about.
Stan
Oct 12, 2014 Stan rated it it was ok
Short anti-war interviews with Zinn from a time when those sorts of voices were desperately needed. Unfortunately I think Zinn retains some liberal ideas on "the marketplace of ideas" and the nature of war. I picked this up used for $1, so hey whatever. Quick read.
Kq
Nov 10, 2013 Kq rated it it was amazing
A little out of date at this point, but some interesting Howard Zinn interviews and point of views regarding post 9/11 World. Would have been a better read if I was able to time machine back to 2002 and read it then. Maybe next time...
Zrinka
May 15, 2012 Zrinka rated it really liked it
Shelves: politics, history
Interesting, but in the sense that, after reading it, I can't help wondering what does an average American think about war and government if Zinn needs to point out some things obvious to everybody sane. An eye opener, for sure.
Jose
Jun 09, 2009 Jose rated it it was amazing
what can i say, my first reading of Zinn's did not disappoint. recently watched the documentary on zinn. exceptional guy. no such thing as a just war! will continue reading more by him.
Shishir
Aug 26, 2013 Shishir rated it liked it
A brief book outlining the poor motivations and outcomes of Wars. Often involving propaganda deceptions and self interests. Resulting in dire consequences for the innocent civilian masses
Patrick
Jan 20, 2008 Patrick rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2002
Howard Zinn, a contemporary of Noam Chomsky, wrote "A People's History of the United States," this is a short book that is pretty self-explanatory.
Derek
May 09, 2009 Derek rated it really liked it
A series of good essays on the US response to terrorism and US militarism.
Tim McLaughlin
Mar 28, 2007 Tim McLaughlin rated it it was ok
'Pamphlets Series' are terrible. Lots of good opinion, terribly organized.
Schuyler Porter
Oct 04, 2009 Schuyler Porter rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this
Julie
Jan 28, 2010 Julie rated it it was ok
This book appeared very quickly post 9/11, having been published in 2002. It seemed to lack a real focus, other than the obvious, timely one.
Craig Bolton
Terrorism and War (Open Media Pamphlet Series) by Howard Zinn (2003)
  • American Power and the New Mandarins: Historical and Political Essays
  • The Sorrows of Empire: Militarism, Secrecy, and the End of the Republic (The American Empire Project)
  • The New American Militarism: How Americans are Seduced by War
  • Perpetual War for Perpetual Peace
  • Terrorism: Theirs & Ours
  • The Politics of Heroin: CIA Complicity in the Global Drug Trade
  • Empire's Workshop: Latin America, the United States, and the Rise of the New Imperialism
  • Wealth and Democracy: A Political History of the American Rich
Howard Zinn was a historian, playwright, and social activist. He was a shipyard worker and a bombardier with the U.S. Army Air Force in Europe during the Second World War before he went to college under the GI Bill and received his Ph.D. from Columbia University.

Zinn taught at Spelman College and Boston University, and was a visiting professor at the University of Paris and the University of Bolo
More about Howard Zinn...

“We need to dig under the rubble of war and point out that the Bush administration is using the war as a cover for worsening the income gap in this country, while paying no attention to the problems of most of the American people, while enriching corporations.” 0 likes