Start by marking “Hudson Taylor: In Early Years- The Growth of a Soul” as Want to Read:
Hudson Taylor: In Early Years- The Growth of a Soul

Hudson Taylor: In Early Years- The Growth of a Soul

The classic two-volume story (hardback) of Hudson Taylor and the founding of the CIM (now OMF). This longer, more detailed account includes many of Taylor's personal writings that express his vision, faith and frustrations. It also provides a careful account of the many miracles that took the young mission agency into the inalnd and barbaric provinces of China. The first ...more
Published June 1st 1988 by O M F Books (first published January 1st 1952)

To ask other readers questions about Hudson Taylor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hudson Taylor

Hannah
Sep 30, 2016 Hannah rated it it was amazing
I'm trying to go back and rate some of my favorites from years past and get some good nonfiction books on my shelves! This book is not an easy read by any means...over 1000 pages with both volumes...but it is rewarding. I do think the first volume is a little more interesting, but I did persevere and I did finish! I would suggest reading only a chapter or two a day after your quiet time and simply planning for it to take a while.

This is a top-notch missionary biography. I do have to say, my hand
Jessica Perry
Jul 01, 2015 Jessica Perry rated it it was amazing
The first book in a two volume set, this biography feels like an autobiography at times with all of the personal letters from Taylor to family members. I agree with other reviewers that at times the reading is slow in its pace of events but it resembles life in that way. You almost struggle along with Hudson Taylor as he longs and waits to be sent to China, as he adapts to the hardships of living through war both physical and spiritual, and rides the highs and lows that we all experience as we ...more
Alma
Sep 08, 2016 Alma rated it it was amazing
Great book! Practical teaching, and example :)
Kimberly Bega
Jul 07, 2015 Kimberly Bega rated it really liked it
Hudson Taylor is now a giant in the history of missions, but this book shows how difficult it was for him to make it to China and work in China at first. His challenges included lack of finances both at home and abroad, his own poor health, travel restrictions by both the British and Chinese governments, and civil unrest. His faith in the midst of these obstacles is both amazing and inspirational, especially considering how young he was at the time. The authors (his son and daughter-in-law) also ...more
Debbie
Detailed diary/journal entries make for a very long book, but it is a book that will challenge you to memorize Scripture a little more to have a ready verse for every life situation - how Taylor recalls, relies on, and frames everything he does with Bible verses is nothing short of convicting. His burden for the Chinese is so deeply felt that he undergoes monumental, to me, sacrifices and all with a beautiful spirit. His reliance on God is convicting, too - everything seems impossible, and yet ...more
Joe Marlin
May 31, 2014 Joe Marlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most biographies that range in the couple hundred page category feel like highlight reels of some great persons life. This two volume set, is at times as painfully slow as life, and that's what I loved about it. For one of the masters of 'the victorious life' this book shows a real man, who indeed learned to find his all in Christ, and suffered incredibly, but saw God work in amazing ways through all manner of risks, and steady faithful service.
Luke Burgess
Jan 10, 2014 Luke Burgess rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
This was perhaps the best biography I have ever read. Hudson Taylor's life was truly amazing in what God permitted him to accomplish. However, what stands out in this book is the author's ability to reveal the spiritual heart of this man. The book reveals the man's soul not merely the man's body. It is well written, captivating and convicting.
Aaron
Apr 17, 2016 Aaron rated it it was amazing
Shelves: missions, biographies
Far and away my favorite missionary biography, the two volume account of Hudson Taylor is an amazing look at the development of the man himself and the amazing work God accomplished through him. This stands at the top of the list of missions biographies and is worth the time and effort required to conquer this monumental account.
Jeff Beard
Aug 21, 2013 Jeff Beard rated it it was amazing
I have read a number of biographies and the writer is as important as the subject. Great set of books to learn the heart of Hudson Taylor and the work that the hand of God did in China. The wisdom and spiritual maturity of Dr. & Mrs. Howard Taylor make these books worth reading with a pen and notepad in hand.
David Murphy
Apr 25, 2011 David Murphy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book. I was a little disappointed with the Kindle edition, though. One of the chapters was missing and there were many misspellings, probably due to OCR difficulties. But hey! It was only a buck!
Susan
May 28, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it
Lots of inspiration within the pages of these two volumes! Impressive when you consider all Hudson Taylor gladly endured because of the call of God on his life!
Mike
Feb 24, 2015 Mike rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-good-read
An amazing story, really well written. At times, perhaps, difficult for the modern reader to understand. I did like Hudson Taylor's warning to his sister about the corrupting influence of the novel.
Elliot
Elliot rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2013
Melissa Coyle
Melissa Coyle rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2013
Enoch Kuo
Enoch Kuo rated it it was ok
Dec 18, 2013
Pat Bushey
Pat Bushey rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2015
Aunt
Aunt rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2012
Aaron
Aaron rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2008
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2013
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2012
Ethan
Ethan rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2012
Kent
Kent rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2008
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2012
Brock Klein
Brock Klein rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Lynette
Lynette rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2007
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2010
Glenn
Glenn rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2012
Wildflower
Wildflower rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2016
Mengstab Awet
Mengstab Awet rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2013
Kay Sappington
Kay Sappington rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Born Frederick Howard Taylor aka F. Howard Taylor.
The son of James Hudson Taylor, missionary to China. Howard Taylor was also became a missionary in China. He was married to Geraldine Taylor, aka Mrs. Howard Taylor.
More about Howard Taylor...