Start by marking “You Have Time for This: Contemporary American Short-Short Stories” as Want to Read:
You Have Time for This: Contemporary American Short-Short Stories

You Have Time for This: Contemporary American Short-Short Stories

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  18 reviews
This collection takes the modern reader on fifty-three literary rides, each one only five hundred words or less. Mark Budman and Tom Hazuka, two of the top names in the genre, have compiled an anthology of mini-worlds as diverse as the authors who created them.

Contributing writers include Steve Almond, author of My Life in Heavy Metal and Candy-freak; Aimee Bender, author...more
Published November 1st 2007 by Ooligan Press

To ask other readers questions about You Have Time for This, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Have Time for This

William York
I first heard the term flash fiction just barely six months ago. Then three months ago I took a grammar class in which the final project was, as a class, to publish an anthology of “Flash Fiction.” Since then I’ve become quite fond of the genre and have been working towards not just reading but also building a small section in my home library for works of flash fiction, with my own anthology as the sections first member.

I am quite happy that I stumbled across the book, You Have Time for This. F...more
Monica
You Have Time For This is flash fiction at its best. Extreme brevity may not suit everyone, but if you want to give it a shot then starting with this collection is recommended. There are over fifty short stories in here, which means there are plenty of opportunities for your taste to be met. Aimee Bender’s, “Wrong” was my favorite story in this compilation, and her contribution was my initial reason for picking up the book. I ended up enjoying the rest of the stories and the exploration of life...more
Katey Trnka
I'm always looking for good books for the bus, and this one fits the bill perfectly! One can easily get through a handful of stories on an average bus ride, in between classes, or just to clear his or her head a bit in the middle of finals week.

Although I didn't love every story I read, overall the prose is clear, concise, and captivating. The perfect book for the student or commuter with a tight schedule, for those who love the written word but don't always feel they have the time to commit to...more
Kenny Chaffin
Great anthology. My favorites:

The Man with the Shovel - Chauna Craig
Homeward Bound - Tom Hazuka
La Guaca - Daniel A. Olivas
Infarction - Kellie Wells
Family Therapy - Pamela Painter
Lamp - Sarah Arellano
and my favorite (and not because he was the editor. :) but because I truly felt it was the best story in the anthology):
The Diary of a Salaryman - Mark Budman

Great stuff! Worth the read, particularly the stories above!

Tiffany Shelton
Aimee Bender is one of my favorite flash fiction authors. When I saw this collection featured one of her stories I just had to read it. While I couldn't get into every story, the collection as a whole is outstanding!
Abby Starkel
All in all I thought this book was pretty good. I really liked the fact that it contained short, one paged stories throughout the book. The structure is interesting, and easy to understand.
Lobelia
This collection of flash fiction--bare bone stories no more than five hundred words each--includes a wide variety of stories that, despite their brevity, have a complete beginning, middle, and end. The stories include (among others): the thoughts of two people who meet in an airplane; an unappreciative husband's karma catching up with him; a divorced couple dining out at a Chinese restaurant; and a mentally unhinged and jealous victim of unrequited love. Oh, yes, a bizarre science fiction story...more
Casey
Read for a marketing assignment, but thoroughly enjoyed. I read a lot of short stories, and flash fiction is very satisfying because each one takes only a minute to read. This is an excellent selection of flash fiction, covering everything from lost children to anorexia to houses that come alive, through the lens of fantasy and metaphor as well as the perspective of everyday life. The tragic bent of most of the stories get a little tiresome, but since they fly by, only the really good ones stick...more
Avital
Nov 08, 2007 Avital rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: usa
A lovely anthology of very short fiction, featuring Steve Almond, Aimee Bender, Avital Gad-Cykman...

You Have Time for This: Contemporary American Short-Short Stories (Paperback)
by Mark Budman (Editor), Tom Hazuka (Editor)

AMAZON order:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1932...

Mary Deal
If you have always wondered what exactly literary fiction is, read this book. "You have Time for This" was a pleasure to read. The book fits into pocket or purse and goes anywhere.

Mark Budman and Tom Hazuka have chosen the best stories from some of the best writers they know. These stories are Flash Fiction, very, very short, and take only moments to read, assuring "You Have time for This."
Vinnie
May 29, 2008 Vinnie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: compulsive readers that need something to grab when they have just a few moments to read
Like any anthology, this collection of stories has something for everyone. There were several stories that I thoroughly enjoyed, and there were some that didn't excite me at all. The nice thing about this collection is that all the stories are super short, so if you don't like one, you didn't waste a lot of time on it. My favorite one in the collection is "Clawd."
Whitney
Full of a variety of personalities and adventures, I read stories between classes, and riding on the trains. While not every story was to my liking, there were plenty of different stories to choose from. I'd recommend this for people who love reading, but are short on time.
Sterling
Not that many good collections of short-shorts, but this one is good. I don't say great cause there are a few lemons. But after saying that..."Buddha's Jewels" and "Skin Deep" more than make up for it.
Jan 24, 2008 Laura rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people with no time
I co-taught an Advanced Editing class that worked on this book. I really enjoyed reading it. I also worked on the marketing end for it.
Tania
Jun 08, 2008 Tania marked it as to-read
See The Short Review's review of You Have Time for this.
Jason Walker
I picked this book up on Sunday. I loved it. Short-shorts are my current favorite mode of writing.
Zach
Another fantastic subway reading book… these shorts truly are (averaged one or two pages).
Jessica
just out...really good collection, I've got a story in here as well..
R Kincaid
R Kincaid marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Galyna Antonenko
Galyna Antonenko marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Brooke Horn
Brooke Horn marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Gabe
Gabe added it
Dec 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Mark Budman was born and raised in the former Soviet Union in what now is the Republic of Moldova. He has been living in Vestal, NY since 1980.

He is the author of "You Have Time For This" (Ooligan Press)and "My Life at First Try" (Counterpoint Press)

A trailer for his anthology "You have Time for This."

***
Mark Budman’s "My Life at First Try," is smart and fun...more
More about Mark Budman...
My Life at First Try Lady's Dress and Other Absurdly Lovable Stories Time Fighters: The Shifter Prince To My Love The Man With Hungry Eyes