Start by marking “Ancient My Enemy” as Want to Read:
Ancient My Enemy

Ancient My Enemy

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  9 reviews
The award-winning and much honored Gordon R. Dickson, author of the best-selling DORSAI books and many other praiseworthy novels and scince fiction stories, has selected nine of his finest tales in this book.
Here are stories of interstellar exploration, of adventure at the dawn of star flight and at the ultimate end of star flight, of man versus machine, of man versus natu
Published July 1st 1980 by DAW (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Ancient My Enemy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ancient My Enemy

K. Axel
This is a review-in-progress and I will add short reviews of all the stories as I read them.

Ancient, My Enemy (45 pages) is the story of how humans have come to explore and prospect on other worlds. In this story we meet Kiew Archad, a prospector looking for gold and Willy Fairchild, a woman looking for knowledge and secrets of an ancient civilization. They clash with the Udbahr, a tribal people of cannibals surviving on a faraway planet. Here Kiev will find an Ancient Enemy who is looking for
Steve Isaak
Overall review:

Excellent, memorable science fiction anthology - all of the nine stories in this collection are well-written, entertaining: worth owning, this.

Standout stories:

1.) "Ancient, My Enemy": A clan of mountain-ranging cannibals, led by a feud-minded chief (Hehog), track a group of prospectors back to civilization. Excellent, memorable tale that resonates on multiple levels with its timeless themes and troubling emotions.

2.) "Tiger Green": Intriguing story about a human crew that's trapp
Matthew Dambro
Dickson was onr of the stars of the classical age of military SF. Brilliant stuff with a light touch.
Brian Smith
Really memorable sci-if short stories. "In the Bone" is a 5-star must read and the rest are between 3-4 stars. Only complaint is that some of the endings were either too obvious or too obscure at times.

Really enjoyed the writing as well, definitely will read more Dickson in the future!
Scott Dailey
I liked every story in this collection.
Peter
Sphere, 1978. 253pp.
John
Grade B-. Short stories.
Steven Laube
Steven Laube marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Jerry
Jerry marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Samuel
Samuel marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Anton
Anton marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
David
David added it
Mar 23, 2015
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Pat Nelson
Pat Nelson marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
  • Tomorrow's Children: 18 Tales Of Fantasy And Science Fiction
  • The Beast
  • Galactic Empires 2
  • A Touch of Strange
  • A Wizard in Bedlam (Rogue Wizard, #3)
  • Fourth Mansions
  • Out on Blue Six
Gordon Rupert Dickson was an American science fiction author. He was born in Canada, then moved to Minneapolis, Minnesota as a teenager. He is probably most famous for his Childe Cycle and the Dragon Knight series. He won three Hugo awards and one Nebula award.

More about Gordon R. Dickson...
Dorsai! (Childe Cycle, #1) The Dragon and the George (Dragon Knight, #1) Tactics of Mistake (Childe Cycle, #4) Soldier, Ask Not (Childe Cycle, #3) The Dragon Knight (Dragon Knight #2)