Start by marking “When My Boyfriend Was a Girl: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
When My Boyfriend Was a Girl: A Memoir

When My Boyfriend Was a Girl: A Memoir

Sunshine had been unlucky in love—with both men and women—for years. She needed a new plan. What else could she do but hit the internet, cross her fingers, and hope for the best? In this heartfelt, humorous memoir the author takes readers on her personal journey of falling in love with Leor, who was born female, but who became the man of her dreams, through all of the ups ...more
Published March 19th 2014

To ask other readers questions about When My Boyfriend Was a Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When My Boyfriend Was a Girl

Lauren Albert
Full disclosure--I know Sunshine though the book was the first I knew of her history with Leor (or Leor's own gender history). I thought it a lovely and brave look at the trials and tribulations of a love affair made more complex by the ongoing gender transformation of the man.
Steve
Apr 14, 2014 Steve rated it it was amazing
In many respects this memoir is a conventional love story: two people meet, there's chemistry, each has reservations about wading in too deep or too fast, one gets over those reservations before the other ... and maybe they make it, maybe they don't.

But it's a memoir with a twist, and the twist is everything. Well written and tightly-paced, the book's core message might be boiled down to this: a relationship with a transexual is ... wait for it ... a relationship.

Mugrabi writes well, honestly, b
Shawna Burton
Oct 04, 2016 Shawna Burton rated it really liked it
Good point of view.

This is a good book about being the partner of a transitioning man. It rings close to my heart since I am in the same position as Sunshine was.
Jaie
Dec 01, 2015 Jaie rated it it was ok
I read this for free through Kindle Unlimited. It was okay. I feel weird critiquing a memoir, as it describes someone's personal experiences. I never really felt the chemistry between Sunshine and Leor. I related to some of the difficulties of being in a long-term relationship. I cringed at some of the language used to describe transgender issues (including the title). And I felt the ending was rushed and focused on societal relationship goals and not personal or interpersonal ones, and I felt ...more
Elizabeth
I'm really glad I read this, especially as I don't know very much about transgender issues. Mugrabi's memoir highlights the unique challenges of being with someone in transition, but also underscores the fact that love is love -- the ups and downs in their relationship are the kinds experienced by ALL couples, regardless of their gender or orientation.
Crystal
Jul 29, 2016 Crystal rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club
*2.5 stars*
Great topic, not the best book. I had to keep reminding myself it was set in the 90s, so the ignorance, judgment, and gender roles were maybe due to the times. (??) Plus, the way it ended was rushed and disappointing. Overall just...blah. Not recommended, there are better memoirs on this topic out there!
Kevin
May 03, 2014 Kevin rated it really liked it
Frank, intimate, and sometimes moving look into this couple's somewhat unique situation. I have a new understanding of what some of the emotional issues are.
Beckem Pendergrass
Beckem Pendergrass rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2016
Leanne Tankel
Leanne Tankel rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2014
Andy Miller
Andy Miller rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Camille Ruth Travis
Camille Ruth Travis rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2015
Adam
Adam rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2014
Angela Smith
Angela Smith rated it it was ok
Mar 27, 2016
Scha Nur
Scha Nur rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2015
Brandi
Brandi rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2015
Janice Austin
Janice Austin rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Linda D
Linda D rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2016
Tiffany Symes
Tiffany Symes rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2016
Bri Arey
Bri Arey rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2015
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2014
Evan
Evan rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2016
Gustavo
Gustavo rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Anna
Anna rated it it was ok
Nov 07, 2015
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2016
Adam
Adam rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2015
Tim Dallacqua
Tim Dallacqua rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Ellen
Ellen rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2014
Calum
Calum rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2016
D. Leigh
D. Leigh rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2015