Start by marking “Loving Jay (Loving You, #1)” as Want to Read:
Loving Jay (Loving You, #1)

Loving Jay (Loving You #1)

4.17  ·  Rating Details ·  2,737 Ratings  ·  494 Reviews
One thing Liam Turner knows for sure is that he's not gay—after all, his father makes it very clear he’ll allow no son of his to be gay. And Liam believes it, until a chance meeting with James “Jay” Bell turns Liam’s world upside-down. Jay is vivacious and unabashedly gay—from the tips of his bleached hair to the ends of his polished nails. With a flair for fashion, ...more
Published April 18th 2014 by Dreamspinner Press (first published April 17th 2014)

Lola  Reviewer
OH WOW! This is one of the most smile-worthy books I’ve read this year! It was obsessively cute, wonderfully moving, humorous, and completely fluffy!

description

I can’t stop thinking about how enjoyable and what a pleasant reading experience it was!

Loving Jay, literally, was such an easy thing to do, for Liam and me, the reader. He is heart-warmingly charming and sweet to an unimaginable point. Every time he was around – which is almost always – there was this automatic grin that appeared on my face. Somet
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~

After all the fuss I raised, I am happy to report that I really enjoyed this book. It's an out-for-you, first-love kind of story with two well-rounded (and seriously adorable) MCs.

Liam, 24, has several plates and screws in one of his legs, and is quite self-conscious about his injury. He's been with men and women, but has never had a great sexual experience. Even as he's crushing on Jay, the young, cute, flamboyant guy he sees on the train every day, Liam tells himself he's not gay, NO
Jenni Lea
May 08, 2014 Jenni Lea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I GIVE THIS ALL THE STARS!

I loved everything about this book. No seriously, every last bit! It was just so… so… charming.

We first meet Liam at the train station where he’s missed his train and he’s upset, not because he will be late for work but because he won’t be able to see the beautiful blonde he’s been fascinated with for the past few weeks. Not that he’s gay or anything. Nope. Not gay.

“My dad would kill me, so I can’t be gay.”

It was heartbreaking to read passages like that in this book. I
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE)
DNF 21%. I tried to keep reading, but something has been bothering me since the beginning, and I can't stop cringing, thinking about this :

"His voice had given me the shivers for days. It was definitely masculine but with a hint of high pitch in it. Like a pubescent boy getting used to his broken voice. The voice was kind and soft and with a hint of fem in it as he exclaimed, "Oh. My. Gawd!" at whatever the granny was saying."

Ugh. Am I the only one to feel the creeps at this sentence? How comes
Ingela
Review written March 21, 2016

3.7 Stars - Heartwarming, charming fun and very sweet

Loving Jay has a lot of happy reviews and I'm a bit ashamed because I got this book as a Christmas gift already 2014 (from my nice Norwegian friend Marte). At some point my friend Karen (5 stars) said: "Read it when you need something that's going to make you smile and feel good. It'll totally do the job."

...Great advice. I needed that today
I knew after just a few pages Loving Jay should be a terrific read. Hi
.Lili.
Apr 28, 2014 .Lili. rated it it was amazing
 photo imagejpg1_zps8fe5be34.jpg
I freakin' loved this book! When I first started Loving Jay by Renae Kaye, it could've gone either way. It started off a bit shaky for me because it was only told from one character's POV, Liam's. I am a big stickler for having a dual POV! Liam, who at the beginning of the story is questioning his sexuality. He's experimented with both men and women and is unsure if he's gay or bi. He's grown up listening to his father make prejudice comments about homosexuality and is afraid to admit he could b
Mandy*reads obsessively*
I wasn't sure about this book, but Dani said give it a go, and then Lexi read it at the same time, so I figured this is a sign I should read it.

As I've said before. I can not read anything heavy, sad or angsty at the moment. I want sweet and funny and cute.
This was perfect.
Liam isn't gay, he says that a lot, repeatedly. But...there is this guy on his train every morning....but he isn't gay...yeah right.
Jay, well he is a colorful, energetic and very gay guy.
I loved Jay, I loved Liam's inner dia
Ami
Renae Kaye is a new-to-me author -- and I think Loving Jay is her debut.

To be honest, I have become weary with new authors so I decided to wait for some reviews. I saw a couple of reviews that mentioned "archaic depiction of gender roles" from Dani and "gender roles seemed very pronounced in the book" from Meep, and someone brought up Glitterland (which wasn't really an endorsement since I thought that book was just 'okay'). So I didn't immediately jump it. However, reviews seem to be in positi
Kaje Harper
May 18, 2014 Kaje Harper rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars rounded up.

This book was just plain fun, light enough to be a good choice for after a heartbreaking angsty read, but with enough emotion and substance to not be just fluff. It seems to be a first book, and if so, I look forward to seeing more from this author.

Liam, the narrator, is one of five brothers in a household led by an old-school sports-focused father, and a loving and somewhat family-obsessed mother. He's had a few dates, one recent girlfriend who married someone else, and on
J *deep in the heart of Texas*
4--Sweet--Stars!!

So sweet this one was! It just made me smile. It was low angst, low drama and had some steamy moments. The perfect feel good read.

Liam is NOT gay. Not gay. I repeat, NOT GAY!

Liam travels by train to work every day, as does "Jay". Liam watches Jay from afar. Admires his beauty. His clothing choices. His makeup. His femininity.

But let me remind you about Liam.

Liam doesn't really know what he is. He knows he's attracted to Jay. He's been with woman in the past, men in the past.
Rosa, really
Sep 15, 2014 Rosa, really rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of opposites attract stories
Recommended to Rosa, really by: Dani & Meep's reviews

I was in the mood for something sweet, but not too cloying last night. Nothing that would make my Kindle bleed corn syrup. Like a strawberry shortcake of a book.

Of course, this means I plunked down money for a new book, when I have, at last count, 301 books that I own and haven't read. Blerg and blerg again. I'd like to apologize to these books - it's not that I think less of you, it's just that I'm distracted by shiny new things. It's ok, babies, Mommy still loves you.

Anyway.

Friending Jay.
Thinking of Jay.
Smiling at Jay.
Saving Jay.
Falling in love with Jay.
Coming out for Jay.
Loving Jay.

For Liam, the highlight of the day is seeing this cute, blonde and exquisitely beautiful guy on the train going to work. Liam calls him Jay, and he is mesmerized his extravagant looks. But that’s it. He may want to take a look, but he is not gay.
I just wanted a glance at his outfit to see if I approved or cringed over his style today—I liked the ones th
Susan
Mar 28, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it

I, *sigh*, loved this book!

I think on the surface, this story is not original. It's a man (Liam) struggling with his sexual identity and the ramifications of his choices. He meets someone who he's so completely attracted to and falls in love with, it doesn't ultimately matter if Jay is a man or woman (he's a man, btw! :)) It's technically a straight up out-for-you tale.

BUT...Renae Kaye manages to really give this layers and nuances that feel fresh.

Liam is so fantastically your every-man yet s
Natasha
Oct 14, 2014 Natasha rated it did not like it
Recommended to Natasha by: Jenni Lea
Sorry...

This wasn't for me.

1.5 stars? *whispers* Maybe 1.75?

Surprisingly, the word "dude" was only used 21 times, when I could've sworn it was at least 5000000. Also, I couldn't track the amount of times the word "man" was used as a totally normal bro endearment.

Nothing new. Nothing exciting.

PAINFUL dialogue. Just painful. Jay's ranting and raving was straight up annoying, not endearing or cute. Imagine someone talked your face off like that. Cute? Probably not. The amount of "Oh my Gawd's!" was
Sunny
Nov 07, 2014 Sunny rated it really liked it
I loved Liam's voice and the first person narration totally worked for me. I wasn't as crazy about some of the dialogue as it sometimes edged too close to trying too hard. Luckily, it mostly avoided going into over the top, rolling my eyes territory. Liam and Jay were both great characters, though, and I loved them.

A sweet, sexy, sometimes silly, sometimes serious, feel good story. I'll be reading this again.
Vivian
May 28, 2014 Vivian rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-contemp
3.5 Stars

Big smile.

This was fun and sweet with a whole lot of emotion and earnestness underneath some rather dramatic plumage. If for any reason flamboyant males irritate you, then just walk away. The pageantry and performance behaviors are who Jay is. Either you accept that or you don't. And Liam, well… his part of the story is a gentle slide into self acceptance.

A couple niggles about things that just tweaked me wrong or not to my taste per se; i.e., when a character keeps saying "I am not g
Debra
This as a light, fun, quick read, that didn't get overly dramatic or overly sweet.

As Liam lusts after the flamboyant Jay each morning on the train his mantra of "I'm not gay" loses its power with each passing glance. When the two finally strike up a friendship over morning coffee Liam begins to come to terms with what's gone wrong in his life, and just what he needs to do for it all to go right. There are bumps in the road, of course, but I enjoyed watching Liam fall victim to Jay's charms.

The
Anke
Apr 22, 2014 Anke rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comfort-reads
5 wonderful stars for this heartwarming book. I love it, simply as that. Although just finished I could start it again, right now, no problem. It pulled me in, and I didn't want to leave them at the end. I want more!!!

I liked Liam, so much. How he thought about himself as a cripple, who would want him, not realizing how much he had going for himself. So endearing. And Jay, sigh, what a cutie. His character was jumping off page, so lively and buoyant, it was so easy to see what Liam drove to him,
Meags
3.5 Stars

This was a true feel-good story. I enjoyed Jay's flamboyant nature and erratic ramblings; he was completely endearing and wholly likable. Liam took a little longer to like, but he eventually won me over with his obvious and unconditional love of Jay and with the whole swoon-worthy protective vibe he had going on.
Gigi
Sep 15, 2014 Gigi rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Gigi by: Jenni Lea

I was feeling a little blue and needed a nice warm-and-fuzzy pick-me-up love story and my good friend Jenni Lea recommended Loving Jay (along with several other GR friends). They were right on target because this was exactly what I was looking for!

MC Liam Turner is just a regular straight guy with a regular job who does regular things. He seems to be just sleepwalking through his life, not finding a whole lot of joy in any one thing. One day he spots an unusually flamboyant man on his train in t
Karen
Mar 14, 2016 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-mm
'Loving Jay' is definitely one of the most adorable stories I've ever read. This is a warm and essentially zero angst story that's filled with the fun and joy of finding love and being true to yourself.

My thanks to my lovely friend Eleftheria for suggesting I read it. It really was the perfect story to help restore my emotional balance after reading Beneath the Stain. I know, I snuck a Mary Calmes story in there as well and it started to restore my equilibrium but 'Loving Jay' put everything bac
Amy
Nov 18, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Yep, I loved it! I could tell I was going to by the time I finished the first chapter. I *love* first person POV. I loved being inside Liam's head, he was adorable and so incredibly sweet! And then there was Jay, out and proud and totally himself with his makeup, drama and quirkiness. I loved their story and can't wait to read more from this author!
Tara♥
Mar 15, 2016 Tara♥ rated it really liked it

Not perfect but it was like a hug.

Liam and Jay are adorable and how Liam is with Jay just made me melt. He was so protective. Nobody but nobody got to be mean to Jay. The fact that Liam didn't always stand up for himself but threw himself in the line of fire for Jay made me all gooey.

"Oh my Gawd! I almost forgot! Mum reminded me last night but it was too late to ring you or send a message because it was after eight o'clock and I didn't know what time you you go to bed. Because I sometimes go t
Veronica /  V
Apr 21, 2014 Veronica / V rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful, lovely, amazing story.
Jay was one the most adorable, funny, cute flamboyant I have ever read, and Liam was the perfect men for him.
What a loved the most is that this author didn't write unnecessary drama and every single of those 200 pages were a pleasure to read.
Very little angst, right amount of sex scenes, and wonderful secondary characters.

The cover was the first thing that caught my eye and that was the main reason I purchased it, imagine my surprise when I found out this
Jennifer☠Pher☠
May 01, 2014 Jennifer☠Pher☠ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
Absolutely beautiful. All the ★'s, all of them. Smiles and happy tears. I absolutely loved this book. Read.
Elsbeth

This was such a great book, I just want to cuddle it..

description

I loved all the characters… The crazy inner voice of Liam, how he was convincing himself “he wasn’t gay”…..

“I looked at him, marveling that even up close he looked gorgeous. His lips looked full and totally kissable, and we were standing close enough that if I leaned in some, and he leaned some, our mouths would meet. Not that I wanted to kiss him or anything. I’m not gay.”

But the most fun I had was with Jay!! He was adorable… Such a dram
Tina

Wow! What a perfect love story! Loved every word!

When I first read about Liam having a crush on Jay I thought…

But with every page I fell more for wonderful, shiny, flamboyant, campy Jay.

Loving Jay is definitely one of my top favorite reads of 2014. Wonderful done, Renae!
Breann
Oh, this was absolutely adorable and so charming.

Liam has been drawn to this guy, Jay, who is at the same stop as him on the way to work every morning. He watches him, moons over him, waits for him, but Liam isn't gay. No, not him.

Until he finally gets the opportunity to actually talk to Jay.

They hit it off, flirt, have coffee every morning. Liam thinks about Jay, wants to touch him, wants to do dirty things with him. But Liam's not gay.

Don't worry, he does come to the conclusion that wanting to
Mirjana ***Let's Sound It Out - - - Mary-On-A***

***2.5 Stars***

Clearly this is a case of "it's just me" since most of my friends seem to love this one.

But for me,

I think my biggest issue is that I never fully warmed up to Liam and since it's told entirely from his point of view, I just didn't get as invested in the story. I didn't feel much emotion or chemistry between Liam and Jay. So unfortunately, their relationship fell flat for me.

Also, there's a lot of rambling in this book as well, which most found endearing, but for me it just lead
Justin
May 07, 2014 Justin rated it it was amazing
Absolutely one of the best books I've read in a while. I loved both MCs. I loved the slow build-up of their relationship. I loved the Brit speak and I was amazed at the range of emotions the author puts you through in such a short book.

This book has a few issues that bugged me. Like all of the talk about (view spoiler). WTF? Can you see what a big deal that is? NOT! Me either but I did notice. Seriously though, the
Rating before book is out yet? 5 84 Oct 09, 2014 01:13PM
Dreamspinner Press: Loving Jay by Renae Kaye 1 28 Apr 17, 2014 10:43PM
  • Blame It on the Mistletoe
  • Shaking the Sugar Tree (Sugar Tree, #1)
  • Shiny!
  • Perfect Imperfections
  • Choices and Changes
  • Taboo For You (Friends to Lovers #1)
  • Taxes and Tardis
  • Glitterland (Glitterland, #1)
  • Stories Beneath Our Skin
  • Tell Me It's Real (At First Sight, #1)
  • Spirit
  • Too Stupid to Live (Romancelandia, #1)
  • Disasterology 101
  • Sock it to Me, Santa!
  • Beauty And The Bookworm
Renae Kaye is a lover and hoarder of books who thinks libraries are devilish places because they make you give the books back. She consumed her first adult romance book at the tender age of thirteen and hasn’t stopped since. After years – and thousands of stories! – of not having book characters do what she wants, she decided she would write her own novel and found the characters still didn’t do ...more
More about Renae Kaye...

Loving You (3 books)
  • Don't Twunk With My Heart (Loving You, #2)
  • The Straight Boyfriend (Loving You, #3)

“Jay?”
“Yeah?”
“I have something I need to tell you.”
The smile died on his face as he looked at me with solemn eyes. “Yeah?”
“Babe, I think I’m gay.”
He burst into laughter, almost rolling off the bed. “Liam? Guess what? I think I’m gay, too.”
I pretended to mop at the sweat on my brow. “Oh, thank goodness. Because this could’ve been really awkward if you weren’t.”
7 likes
“Little blue men with squeaky voices. What’s not to love? And of course most of them had to be gay. There was only ever one Smurfette after all.”
I ignored him, figuring we could discuss the queerness of Smurfs another day.”
3 likes