Start by marking “The Emperor's Codes: The Breaking of Japan's Secret Ciphers” as Want to Read:
The Emperor's Codes: The Breaking of Japan's Secret Ciphers

The Emperor's Codes: The Breaking of Japan's Secret Ciphers

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  7 reviews
In the No. 1 bestseller 'Station X', Michael Smith brought us the riveting true story of how British experts broke Nazi Germany's wartime codes.

In 'The Emperor's Codes' he continues this fascinating story as he examines how Japan's codes were broken and the effect this had on the war in the Far East.

'The Emperor's Codes' takes the reader into the lives and loves of the me
Published June 11th 2001 by Arcade Publishing (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Emperor's Codes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Emperor's Codes

Reds_reads
The story of the breaking of Germany's codes on WWII is fairly well known - there have been many books written and both films and tv documentaries made, but less attention has been paid to the story of intelligence operations and codebreaking in the Pacific theatre. This is not unexpected as in the UK we do seem to focus more on the war in Europe.

Because of this unfamiliarity I did find this book informative, it was a rather dense read though and I felt a bit more of an overview would have helpe
Trever
I thought the book was good, there are much better code books. I was interested in this one, because it was the first book I saw that dealt with Japanese codes during ww2.

The book was more about how American code breaking was just as good or better than Alan Turing and British code breaking abilities, which is false.

Also I thought the book lacked in overall code breaking and providing examples of how they broke codes, seemed more like a history of it not actual code breaking.
Stuart
Excellent account of the lives of people involved in breaking the Japanese military codes of WWII. Not to much on the technical side of cryptanalysis although there are some brief descriptions.
Siby
The German Enimga cipher and the quest to break it is one of WW II's most intriguing stories, however, similar efforts to break the Japanese codes in the Pacific theater were no less crucial or difficult.
This book is a little too dense and difficult to get through, even for someone like me who is passionate about military history. It is detailed, but too detailed. I might have studied it if I had been a student of military history, but certainly difficult to push through if attempting to read f
Cymiki
here's a Goodreads challenge - how many can own up to reading two different books by the same name? gotta go get lotto tickets.....
Lee
Mostly an oral history from individuals who were involved in Britain's lesser-known code-cracking efforts.
Elena
great drama. gets into all the tension behind the UK and US code breakers. and filled with interesting facts--- did you know many of the US Military codes breaks took amphetamines to keep working and stay sharp.
Liana
Liana marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Ala
Ala marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Sara
Sara added it
May 19, 2014
Kathleen M
Kathleen M marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Eric_W
Eric_W marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
James Mitchell
James Mitchell marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Tris
Tris marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Rachel Corey
Rachel Corey marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
William Straka
William Straka marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
James Bowman
James Bowman marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

Michael Smith is a British former newspaper reporter, author and screenwriter. He is the journalist who obtained the documents collectively known as the The Downing Street Memos. For his he won, in 2006, a British Press Award for specialist of the year.
More about Michael Smith...
Killer Elite: The Inside Story of America's Most Secret Special Operations Team Station X: The Codebreakers of Bletchley Park Foley: The Spy Who Saved 10, 000 Jews The Spying Game: The Secret History of British Espionage MI6: The Real James Bonds 1909-1939