Start by marking “Dangerous Love” as Want to Read:
Dangerous Love

Dangerous Love

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  252 ratings  ·  16 reviews
In the communal world of the compound in which he lives, Omovo has many friends and some enemies, but most important of all there is Ifeyiwa, a beautiful young married woman who he loves with an almost hopeless passion - not because she doesn't return his love, but because they can never be together.
Published (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Dangerous Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dangerous Love

Antonia
I thought that the writing style was very repetitive. The descriptions were particularly awkward. At one point, the main character has a diary and he begins to narrate the events of his day, which the author himself narrated beforehand. I thought it was pretty useless, since it didn't reveal anything new about the character. There are also a couple of dream sequences which, for the most part, didn't have a particular purpose. They were just there...

The only interesting elements were the aspects
If you read one book this month, make it this one! I love the way Okri depicts his characters and his innate sense of place shines through in his writing. His description of the suburbs of Lagos and the town where Omovo, the protagonist, stays for a while are so vivid that you can imagine yourself there and the portrayal of a very dangerous love between Omovo and Ifeyiwa is at once entrancing and heartbreaking.
Saadia Refaqat
This is my first book by Okri. It was simply a pleasure to read. It is an amazing insight into chaotic, harsh, un glamorized, portray of life in Kenya. For someone who had not visited Kenya before, the book created astonishingly rich picture of place people, daily issues, struggle and bare bone existence (of the time it intends to capture). For me it remained a fascinating book that I devoured. It is however not for faint hearted, for those who want to read and walk away happy. The book is heavy ...more
Ciiku
The book started with promise but midway, I felt like it was forced. I finished it just to finish it.
Nachanza Malambo
This was my first Ben Okri and I understood why he had previously won prestigious book prizes. He gives a good narration of the scenery - helping the reader understand the different world the characters live in (set in a ghetto in Nigeria). Enjoyed it tremendously - but still felt it was too wordy. Ben Okri goes into too much detail painting a picture that the reader has probably understood. The characters however, are very clear and once one has a good imagination - one can form immediate bonds ...more
Karson
This is my second Okri book. The first was 'Famished Road.' Personally, I enjoyed Famished Road much more than this one. Ultimately they seem to be about similar things (the fate of Africa, its current state, what it is that the children of Africa have been handed down.) I felt that that theme, however, fit much more naturally into Famished Road. This book focuses on two people and their family's then, towards the end, expands greatly and really broadens out its scope and ideas. It didn't feel a ...more
Shweta Ganesh Kumar
This is my first Ben Okri book.
A moving tale of star-crossed lovers, a generation betrayed by the previous one, a community caught in the cross-fire of unfulfilled dreams and ambitions, struggling within the scum pond of absolute drudgery and the bloody memories of civil war, of women with the seeds of feminism trying to escape the shackles of their 'rightful' place, of being enveloped in reflections and inter-twined daubs of colour and the innate need to reflect and attain enlightenment.

I lov
Zan
Jun 23, 2008 Zan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: artists and truth seekers
Recommended to Zan by: Murakami fans(the goodreads group)
Shelves: fiction
This book rocked my world. It's written from the perspective of an artist living in-and driven to paint the suffering, inhumanity and beauty of-a Nigerian ghetto compound. It's intense, gritty magical realism, similar to Murakami. Okri's writing is gorgeous, it really plunges you into the characters.

It's strong medicine though, so read it when you have the time and fortitude to be shaken and stirred by the passion, brutality and confusion of life.
Simon
This works on many levels. It's absorbing as a love story and as a portrait of a community, and it's insightful and fascinating as a depiction of the growth of an artist. I wasn't entirely convinced by the "transcendent enlightenment" scene towards the end, but that's a small complaint for an otherwise moving and eye-opening book.
Corvinus Maximilus
Life can be sad, but because of sadness we can appreciate the happy moment even more. The first Ben Okri that I read and I am now a huge fan..looking forward to getting a copy of Famished Road. Dangerous love is like a long spiritual poem....Loved it.
Clare
I liked this book a lot. The characterisation was excellent - Okri's characters cover a broad cross section of a community. It feels as though he's encapsulated the full spectrum of Nigerian culture. It is overall very realistic and ethnographic in style.
Kristi
I had a hard time negotiating my own expectations of literature and the idea of the book as a cultural product as I read this. It helped to read it alongside some Gramsci excerpts from his Prison Notebooks (particularly "On Education").
Phumlani
Not what you would expect from Okri,especially if you have read Famished Road but its eqaully as engaging and as haunting, i enjoyed it,moreso because it did not trigger some strange dreams with talking animals like Famishd Road.
Romancereading
I felt I had to finish it so I did. And I didn't like it at all.
Robbie Haigh-mclane
Really good read and extension of famished road!
Esther
Esther marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Pia
Pia marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Samuel De
Samuel De marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Tytti
Tytti added it
May 28, 2015
Dianne Morran
Dianne Morran marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Julia Little
Julia Little marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Kathryn
Kathryn is currently reading it
Apr 25, 2015
Kime Conley
Kime Conley marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
  • Pope Joan: Translated & Adapted from the Greek
  • The Centaur in the Garden
  • My Michael
  • La variante di Lüneburg
  • Last Tango in Aberystwyth (Aberystwyth Noir, #2)
  • Children On Their Birthdays
  • Une forme de vie
  • My Dog Tulip
  • Het Hemelse Gerecht
Poet and novelist Ben Okri was born in 1959 in Minna, northern Nigeria, to an Igbo mother and Urhobo father. He grew up in London before returning to Nigeria with his family in 1968. Much of his early fiction explores the political violence that he witnessed at first hand during the civil war in Nigeria. He left the country when a grant from the Nigerian government enabled him to read Comparative ...more
More about Ben Okri...
The Famished Road Songs of Enchantment Astonishing the Gods Starbook Infinite Riches

“Bad things will happen and good things too. Your life will be full of surprises. Miracles happen only where there has been suffering. So taste your grief to the fullest. Don’t try and press it down. Don’t hide from it. Don’t escape. It is life too. It is truth. But it will pass and time will put a strange honey in the bitterness. That’s the way life goes.” 12 likes
“An inner darkness is darker than an outer darkness.” 9 likes