The Quiet Earth

The Quiet Earth

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Published (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Quiet Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Quiet Earth

Ubik
Sep 27, 2008 Ubik rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who are *really* curious about it after having seen the movie
Ex Ex
The Quiet Earth concerns the plight of a man who wakes up in a world where all of humanity sans himself has disappeared. How does a man survive in this world, where only the ghosts of his past and other mysterious beings seem to pass in and out of reality? What is reality when the rules no longer apply? All of this and more is explored within...

1.I may spoil the movie for you. I would advise you to watch the Quiet Earth movie before reading this review.

2. The Quiet Earth is my favorite movie. I...more
John Young
Another reviewer called this book "criminally underrated", and I absolutely agree. This book is rich, dark, and haunting, while at the same time being completely non-atmospheric.

It's Lovecraft without the monsters, or maybe Stephen King with a more nuanced plot twist. It's totally worth a read if you liked "Fight Club."

The 1985 movie of the same name was only very loosely based on the book, and is entirely different in plot and tone, FYI (the movie is also worth seeing)
Tim
No spoiler, but I should have seen it coming.
MB Taylor
What an amazing book. I ran across this a couple of months ago at a book store, and it looked interesting so I bought it. Sure glad I did.

The Quiet Earth is a first person narrative of New Zealander John Hobson. He wakes up in a motel room in and quickly discovers that there's no one else in town. Convinced that there must be other people somewhere he begins not only a search for other people but a slow descent into madness starting with (what we assume/hope) is fear of the unknown.

As the novel...more
Kathy
I read this book after watching the movie and they are entirely two separate entities. So don't go into this book expecting the movie plot.

The Quiet Earth was an..okay book. I felt that the author wrote this using varied methods of 'stream of consciousness' and it shows in its random and non-organized writing. By the time I reached the end of the book, I didn't really care what caused the event that made everyone disappear. I really didn't. I think they revealed the reason..maybe? But it was mi...more
Aaron
Apocalyptic, yes. Perhaps too much of NZ own under content (Maori?) and geography, but that's ok. Went inside heads a bit too much, different from the movie, but most are. Left too much for the reader as an exercise.
Mellissa
If you can get your hands on a copy, I strongly suggest you do!
Debbie
Had me interested to see what was going to happen next, and what the explanation was for the phenomenon. The ending didn't really tie things up well enough for me.
Kate
Dec 17, 2013 Kate rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: dnf
I... Have no idea what to make of this book. I liked the descriptions and the science focus, but... Hmm. The plot seems minimal and the main (and really only) character is unlikable. I think I was happy enough to keep reading, but the story just veered to casually into racism and I just couldn't keep going.
Katesy's
Brian
Brian added it
Sep 07, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Michael Kazamias
Michael Kazamias marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Maud
Maud added it
Aug 23, 2014
Jacco
Jacco marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Daniel Barker
Daniel Barker marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Gudmund Goltermann
Gudmund Goltermann marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Andrew Venegas
Andrew Venegas marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Dan (aka Utterbiblio)
Dan (aka Utterbiblio) marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Darchildre
Darchildre marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Edward
Edward marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Consuelo Ruybal
Consuelo Ruybal marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Tita
Tita added it
Jul 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Quiet Earth The Dumpster Saga Days Of Starlight Empty graves CRAIG AND HIS JOURNEY TOWARDS CHRIST : My encounter with the true author of life