Start by marking “Inside a House That Is Haunted” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Inside a House That Is...

Alyssa Satin Capucilli

Inside a House That Is Haunted

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  152 ratings  ·  28 reviews
The author/illustrator team of Inside a Barn in the Country uses picture clues to tell this funny story about a spider, a cat, a bat, and many other "creatures" inside a spooky house.
Unknown Binding, 22 pages
Published January 1st 1998 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Inside a House That Is Haunted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inside a House That Is Haunted

Audrie Estrada
Personal reaction:
This would be a wonderful book to read around halloween time because its very silly and gears kids towards a happier halloween rather than a scarier one. the illustrations are also cartoonish so it makes it a more enjoyable for the kids. I like this because it is a fun and easy read for kids.
Purpose:
I would read this to 1st and 2nd graders around halloween time. I would use it as a lesson on halloween to give them a bit of a chuckle. It puts their worries about ghosts out of t
Charlotte
Charlotte really liked this one - some of the words are tiny pictures. The book calls this "rebus" but I am not sure that's 100% accurate. Doesn't a rebus show a picture as part of a word? Or the sound of a word? Either way, Charlotte liked it a lot, and when I read her the back of the book (her new thing, I must read every single printed word on the front and back covers) and said "rebus" she put together the word-pictures in the book with the character of Danny Rebus from Electric Company on P ...more
Katie Nanney
This book was very much like There was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly. It kept building on itself. It was all about ghosts, monsters, and Halloween. The person who gave me the book said that it would make a good read-aloud for Halloween in Kindergarten. I agree with her. It's a predictable story and very simple. I can see it being used for Halloween, but not any other time of the year, unless the kids really like it, then I'd keep it on the shelf for them to look at.
Ransom
Ransom loves it when I read this one fast and he points to all the little icons.
Miri
Told in the style of "There was an old lady"
Mary
One of my students favorites.
Rosa Cline
This is a very cute level 2 reader. The words are similar to "the old lady who swallowed a fly" so you could kind of sing it if you wanted to. The lines are repetitive but not so much that it's boring to read. The haunted house although has ghosts, spiders, and monsters isn't scary for little listeners and at the end is actually 'scared' by a trick or treater! Cute little book to read at Halloween or any time of year! My 2 year old granddaughter and I enjoyed reading this and the illustrations a ...more
Ivano Parravano
This is a rebus-rhyme poetry book. The words and phrases are catchy and easy to remember. The illustrations are colorful and each page adds on to the previous. This book is suitable for primary grades and older. I chose this book because it was a little different that other poetry books I have seen. I liked how some pictures replaced words in order for young readers to read along.
Tam
This is a Level 2 Scholastic Reader meaning it has new vocabulary and longer sentences for a developed reader.

The story is similar to "The House That Jack Built". It takes one thing and adds another. Then repeats both things and adds another. My 5-year-old liked it but didn't love it.
Lori
My youngest loves this book. He can actually read along with me, because it repeats the entire story, just adds a new line each page, and shows you a picture in place of some words.... he enjoys this book! And its got a little twist at the end that always makes him laugh.
Robin
Junebug "R.E.A.D." with this to wondrous approval from her kids, especially now that it's Halloween time. The building of the story (repetition), engaging imagery (pretty pictures), and surprise ending were perfect for capturing the interest of young readers.
Brendan Howard
Good, fun book. My only complaint is a small one, that the trope of "the monsters are scared of PEOPLE" is really cliche now and I'd be happy seeing better endings, even to small children's books.
Ann Moody
This one is a real cute charmer. From Tedd Arnold's adorable, wide-eyed, not-scary monster illustrations, to Capucilli's brilliant rhythmic rhyme, it's pure engaging fun for early readers.
Nicki
This book is adorable! Something fun beginning readers can start to read for themselves, and that is so fun mom and dad will enjoy it too. And, I've always loved Ted Arnold's illustrations.
Diana Pettis
Here is the hand that knocked on the door and startled the spider that dropped to the floor.

Guided Reading Level: J
Word Count 472 words
Grade Level: 1-2

Theme: Halloween
Tatiana
A funny Halloween repetition book that has the talented Ted Arnold's artwork highlighting the goofy humor of the haunted creatures of a creepy, silly home. For ages four and up.
Bridget
This is such a fun rebus book. Be sure that you have a lot of breath, as the reader, to finish the end of the book.

Illustrations are by Tedd Arnold (Huggly books).
Rebecca
I love this book! I'm 15 and sometimes I'll randomly start reciting the rythme line for line. It's such a cute story.
Yulia
Another one of my kids' favorite! I love the story and the pictures, and my kids love reading it "all by themselves"
Sharon
A new purchase for the Halloween season. Not as popular as our many skeleton-related choices.
Maria
This book is a very repetitive book. It would be a great book for a beginner.
Tiffany
This is a great book to add to your family's Halloween storybook collection!
Jennifer Kelley
Love the rebus in this story--great to get the kids involved.
Shai
A lot like the old lady who swallowed a fly. Very fun read.
Dean
This was like "THe House That Jack Built" It was funny.
William Ware
still have this one memorized
Leah
Cumulative story with rebus.
Mortis Boys
The boy memorized this one.
Lea Ann
Lea Ann marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
  • Thanksgiving Is for Giving Thanks
  • Scaredy-Cat, Splat!
  • Moonlight: The Halloween Cat
  • Shake Dem Halloween Bones
  • Animal Strike at the Zoo. It's True!
Alyssa Satin Capucilli was born in Brooklyn, New York, in 1957. She graduated from Sarah Lawrence College, and pursued her interest in dance, becoming a professional dancer and dance instructor. Though Capucilli had written stories, poems, and even puppet shows as a child, she didn't consider a career as a writer until after her own two children were born. To this day she sees herself as both a da ...more
More about Alyssa Satin Capucilli...
Biscuit Goes to School Biscuit Biscuit Finds a Friend Bathtime for Biscuit Biscuit and the Baby