Start by marking “Fashion: A History from the 18th to the 20th Century - The Collection of the Kyoto Costume Institute” as Want to Read:

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  756 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Clothes define people. A person's clothing, whether it's a sari, kimono, or business suit, is an essential key to his or her culture, class, personality, or even religion. The Kyoto Costume Institute recognizes the importance of understanding clothing sociologically, historically, and artistically. Founded in 1978, the KCI holds one of the world's most extensive clothing c...more
Hardcover, Taschen 25th Anniversary, 640 pages
Published August 30th 2007 by Taschen (first published September 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Fashion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fashion

Ruth
who wants to join a five minute book club with this
book? who's with me?

Cindy
If you are in need, or want of a GREAT image clothing reference book from the late 18th Century (Regency) to the 19th Century (Victorian) in addition to the 20th Century (Modern), then 'Fashion' by Kyoto Costume Institute should be it. The images are beautiful, professional and the volume is dense. Over 700 pages thick! There are a few period painting reference images, but most of the book is Hi-res (gorgeous) museum quality photographs of authentic vintage clothing, styled and draped on mannequ...more
Sirvinya
Stuffed full of beautiful photography of almost 300 years of clothing. There is a very high level of detail shown and this would be extremely useful for those interested in making period clothing. Most items are shown on mannequins which show how the clothes would drape when actually worn, so much more useful that being shown flat!

The book relies heavily on the photography with minimal test within the chapters. Each picture is accompanied by a short paragraph detailing the designer, country and...more
Victoria
Feb 03, 2008 Victoria rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any one who loves reproduction clothing History or just pretty gowns :)
This is a great book , there are so many wonderful close up photos of 18thc. gowns. I love all the close ups of the fabric , that is something I always need when ever I am making a historiclu accurate Gown. The only bad thing about this book is it goes from the 18thc. all the way to th 1990s.
Needless to say almost ALL of the clothing in that period is very inaproprate.
Jaimie
I liked how artfully the garments in these two volumes were photographed, but I was less impressed with their overall timeline. The first volume was relatively well presented and I feel that it represented the fashion evolutions of the 18th and 19th centuries, but the second volume missed a lot of the nuances of 20th century style. Maybe the collection of the Kyoto Institute is still developing this area, but it seems pretty clear that American fashion is sorely underrepresented and that major E...more
Juliet Gilchrist
I Enjoyed this book a lot! It traces the history of Western Fashion from 1700's-the present. The pictures are gorgious and facinating. I finally know the difference between a round-dress and a slip dress from Jane Austin's time. I actually really wondered. LOL. There is text at the begining of each section, however the information there ends up being repeated with the pictures, which was ratehr annoying. But after I figured this out, I just skipped the chapter/section comentaries and read what w...more
Erin
I LOVED this book-my art teacher brought this into class for me and i spent two classes reading it.
Lets just say i was in love.
its full of Clothing form the 1800's-the 70's or 80's. Its Beautiful and i was in love and considered running off with the book and not giving it back to my teacher.
Its Enormous and heavy-and the uk/irish price is 40 pounds/euros.
Which is a bit much for a book- but it is filled with full coloured images and info.
I was drolling over the pages-and i plan to buy a copy fo...more
Mina LaFleur
This is one of my all-time favourite visual reference books. If you love historical costumes, and especially if you make reproductions, you owe it to yourself to have this on hand for drool-worthy inspiration! The pictures are glorious; well-lit, nicely fitted on the perfect forms, and the detail of embellishments and textiles is photographed splendidly. The writing is informative, though the emphasis is really on the visuals here. If you're new to background information on 18th and 19th century...more
Kiana
Stunning photos detailing just a small part of the amazing textile and clothing collection.
Dawana Brickhouse
I love fashion, this book exhibits attire from the 18th century.
Quân Nguyễn
Puni
Nov 25, 2007 Puni rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: design
got this book set for myself since it was such a cheap price for such a complete book!

having never gone to a fashion school, this book helps me a lot to study the world's fashion history, see how fashion evolves from time to time, and of course, get some ideas for myself to design clothes.

if you really want to get to the core of fashion and understand it all, or if you just like seeing the beautiful pictures of fashion from all times, i'd definitely recommend you to get this book :)
Megan
This book is an amazing and collection of photographs chronologically documenting the evolution of predominantly European and American clothing. As the title states the clothing dates back to the early 18th century with special highlights of corsets, stockings, shoes, and more than simply outerwear. Taschen always produces finely printed/cropped art collections for affordable prices. This is one of those books which you will take off of your shelf often and leaf through with fantasy.
Tara
gorgeous. too heavy to carry around the house, so I've left them on my ottoman and flip through them when I get a chance. I've spent more time with the first volume (18th and 19th centuries) and am incredibly impressed with the clear, detailed photographs of these stunning clothes. It makes me want to start sewing again, although I'm sure I don't currently have the time or patience (or talent) to work on a project anywhere near the magnitude that one of these gowns would be.
Rachael MacLean
Very informative, gorgeous pictures-- if you need a good fashion history book this is a good one to go to. Watch out, though, near the end it gets really experimental and doesn't really reflect much of what people were actually wearing and, of course, it only shows the high fashion of the time, not every day clothes. It does a great job at explaining the ideology behind the clothes, though, and the historical impetus for change in clothing.
Lushbug
some fab garments in this book. all the clothes and accessories are from the tokyo museum (id love to visit it). A great visual companian to dress thru the ages. There is little explanation as to how and why fashions change- there are few pages that summarize changing fashions but its brief and to the point. Excellent for fashion students looking fro an array of inspiration.
H. Anne Stoj
I absolutely love these books. They're a dream come true for fashion research. Beautiful photographs of clothing through the centuries which is excellent for me as I tend toward Victorian/Edwardian styles in just about everything I write. (I do, though, love writing in the Victorian age.) A great set for designers and those interested in fashion history.
Lauren
The pictures are fantastic, and the text is worth reading! Amazing addition to my fashion book collection.
Lorena
There is quite a few editions of this book around. I finally got my hands on the hardcover double tome one that includes the 18th to 19th fashion history and the 20th fashion history books.

Totally lavishly illustrated. A feast for the eyes! Recommend it for nay Fashion Student or Illustration Fashion Student that wants a good inspirational book.
Maer
ADORE this book - fantastic reference for costumers, artists, anyone with an eye for gorgeous materials. I got to see this collection in person then the book was given to me a few months later - just stunning!! And very interesting costumes - everything from traditional 1700's gowns and coats to amazing "dress" interpretations. LOVE it!
Meltha
Absolutely goregous photography, beautifully done, rich colors, and a mouth-watering display of late eighteenth century French collections as well. The modern section is a little odd, though, and suddenly skews much more to Asian than the rest of the book, but it's still fascinating.
Jana
This is an exquisite book! It was a going-away / moving gift from a fellow fiber artist in my former studio. I absolutely love how inspiring it is... so full of ideas and beautiful photography. The 20th C. collection is especially remarkable.
Carly
While this collection of photographs of fashions through history is interesting I found it to be lacking in vernacular (everyday) fashions. For everyday fashions I turn to the Sears & Roebuck catalogs.
The book was filled with pictures that showed off what was important: the clothes! With only a paragraph of writing on each page, it was the perfect combination of information and glossy images.
Jane Baker
Love this book. When I was in Kyoto I actually tracked down the Kyoto Costume Institute! But it turns out it's not open on Monday!! Can you #$@&ing believe it!? O well, one day!
Tiffany Clare
One of the best fashion resource books I've ever owned. The pictures are sharp, detailed and rich. This is a great book for any author writing in the 18th/19th century.
A.
This is a phenomenally beautiful book. This edition is the single volume B&N version - I have the 2 volume Taschen so I can spare this one for loan. HIGHLY recommended!
Alexandra
One of my all time favorite Fashion History books. Beautiful photographs. In graduate school, a lot of slides from exams were from this book.
Krystle
Gorgeous pictures and wonderful information.

It did seem to peter out a bit near the end, but the overall effect was still amazing.
Simone Vd stadt beaney
Beautiful pictures, great close ups. All in all a great reference for costume history enthusiasts like me.
  • Nineteenth-Century Fashion in Detail
  • Historical Fashion in Detail: The 17th and 18th Centuries
  • Patterns of Fashion 3: The Cut and Construction of Clothes for Men and Women, C.1560-1620
  • Victorian and Edwardian Fashion: A Photographic Survey
  • The Art of Manipulating Fabric
  • The History of Underclothes
  • Fashion in the Time of Jane Austen
  • Fashion: The Definitive History of Costume and Style
Fashion: From the 18th to the 20th Century. The Kyoto Costume Institute Future Beauty: 30 Years of Japanese Fashion Sekai Fukushokushi =The Concise History Of Fashion Japonisumu in fasshion Fashioning Kimono: Dress and Modernity in Early Twentieth-Century Japan