Start by marking “The Glitter Dome” as Want to Read:
The Glitter Dome

The Glitter Dome

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  793 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Two LAPD detectives investigate the murder of a Hollywood studio boss.
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published May 1st 1984 by Bantam (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Glitter Dome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Glitter Dome

Tfitoby
HRF Keating claims this as Wambaugh's finest work of fiction in his rundown of the best 100 works of crime and mystery; the former policeman turned author famed for his realistic portrait of the boys in blue as something less than heroic being something of a literary sensation in the 70s when coppers were still considered to be choirboys (which is infact one of Wambaugh's other titles) as opposed to flawed human beings sometimes incapable of resisting a bribe, of falsifying evidence to make thei ...more
Rebekkila
Jul 30, 2010 Rebekkila rated it it was amazing
This is my first Joseph Wambaugh novel and I loved it. At times I cringed and other times I laughed out loud.The crime at the heart of the novel takes a backseat to the characters that are trying to solve it. I will without a doubt read more of this author's books.
Katherine
Dec 29, 2015 Katherine rated it really liked it
Wambaugh brings noir to the LAPD. The 6 detectives in this novel try to solve the murder of an important Hollywood studio boss, but they cannot determine who committed the crime among a number of possibilities. The tone is bleak as the detectives drink, cheat and lie their way through life.
Erik
Mar 10, 2016 Erik rated it really liked it
Joe Wambaugh's version of The Enormously Successfully Author Goes To Hollywood, Learns How Poorly Writers Are Treated There And Gets His Revenge In Prose Novel.

Hollywood revenge novels are usually breezy and sarcastic, in the vein of Get Shorty, but Wambaugh doubles down on the bleak realism of The Choirboys to the point of outright nihilism. The most likable and sympathetic character in the entire novel is a suicidal, impotent drunk whose claim to fame as a detective is "clearing" murder cases
Diana
Jan 08, 2016 Diana rated it really liked it
I was far too young when I read this book. Sixteen year old girls should not necessarily dive into the hard, gritty, dysfunctional world Wambaugh's characters inhabit. My memories of the book, which I haven't picked up since I closed the cover on the last page almost 20 years ago, are of sharp, cold details, like the color of an old stain in a bare mattress and the acrid stench filling a small, derelict room. They are snapshots from a nightmare, rendered so crisply and vividly I still remember t ...more
Rachel
Jan 13, 2016 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only Joseph Wambaugh novel that I happen to finish, plus I liked the way that it ended bittersweetly even if one of my favorite characters happened to die off at the end.

Not as offensive as the next book, The Delta Star, to anyone born within the past three decades but still will ruffle some feathers. Believe me, I almost flew it across the room(but was a library book, so I couldn't), because the actions of a certain character that I thought I could tolerate when yet, I forget I was part of
Jim
Dec 06, 2011 Jim rated it liked it
Good stuff. I think I've been kicked out of that bar
Vicki Elia
Feb 23, 2014 Vicki Elia rated it really liked it
What a delight to read a noir crime thriller that was not written as an era-specific or noir work. The 1970's came slamming back into that blurry focus of the wretched past with every sentence. Wambaugh's prosaic language thrives in the midst of the abject pathos of the world of crime.
Evyn Charles
Nov 03, 2009 Evyn Charles rated it it was amazing
Prior to this, I had only read 2 of Joseph Wambaugh's book--an early one "The Onion Field" and a recent one "Hollywood Station" and enjoyed both of them but did not truly appreciate his writing until "The Glitter Dome."
Lots of well-developed characters, humor, drama. If anything, there is almost too much content. Detectives cut creative corners in order to get rid of cases instead of actually solving them; others are total thugs or dimwits. Most are just humans trying to get through an insane jo
Kevin Spaeth
Oct 12, 2015 Kevin Spaeth rated it really liked it
Another great Wambaugh book. This was especially enjoyable because it gave you a look into the Hollywood from 30 years ago
JoyAnna
Aug 04, 2014 JoyAnna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mysteries
Excellent police story with the usual Jospeh Wambaugh humor.
Michael Lisk
Oct 02, 2015 Michael Lisk rated it liked it
Not as good as The Onion Field or Echoes in the Darkness.
Veronica Harris
paperback
Don
Oct 19, 2014 Don rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
Not what I expected. A lot of bad language and sexual humor. Nevertheless, an entertaining read.
Nikhil Holmes
May 17, 2015 Nikhil Holmes rated it it was amazing
4 stars for Storyline. 5 stars for Joseph Wambaugh's creativity!
Graham P
Like a crude sitcom, Wambaugh plays 'The Glitter Dome' for laughs. One absurd situation after the other, and the tone is playful and at times endearing in a knee-jerk, ham-fisted way. But there is a savage streak under it all, and when it's present, the novel excels. Martin Welborn and Al Mackey make a great detective team. As the novel progresses, the more real they become. Everybody else is caricature.
D-day
May 30, 2015 D-day rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 100-myst-list
A glimpse into the lives of LAPD homicide detectives investigating a murder involving hollywood elite. Along the way the reader meets a number of memorable characters. The book has laugh out loud moments, but also some very tragic moments. A very enjoyable book. Highly recommended for crime fans.
Nan
Jul 14, 2009 Nan rated it liked it
Read for mystery book club. Very rough, raw, and cynical. The policemen that I know don't talk like that! But then I live in the heartland, not California! So what can I say. . .
E Jeanne Harnois
Feb 09, 2013 E Jeanne Harnois rated it really liked it
Corrupt detectives in a notoriously corrupt police department investigating the murder of a corrupt studio head in a notoriously corrupt industry.
Bill
Jun 25, 2010 Bill rated it did not like it
Just took too long for me to get through this one. I had a hard time staying interested. It seemed to drag out too much for me.
Andrea
Jul 22, 2013 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-mistery
Great novel, Wambaugh 2nd best after "The Choirboys"
Lisa
Apr 18, 2013 Lisa rated it it was ok
Shelves: gave-up
Just can't get into it.
Stacey
Stacey is currently reading it
May 02, 2016
Tom Smith
Tom Smith marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Kristina Schluter
Kristina Schluter marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Faye Merritt
Faye Merritt rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
David Vance
David Vance is currently reading it
Apr 19, 2016
  • Bum Steer (Jenny Cain, #6)
  • Calamity Town
  • Nobody's Perfect (Dortmunder, #4)
  • Dress Gray
  • Under Fallen Stars (Forgotten Realms: The Threat from the Sea, #2)
  • Deadfall
  • The Steam Pig
  • City of Ice
  • The Rosetta Codex
  • Timothy's Game
  • Bodies Electric
  • Death at Windsor Castle (Her Majesty Investigates #3)
  • Mirage
  • Works of William Shakespeare
  • Before the Fact
  • The Red Fox
  • Dwarfs
  • One Police Plaza
Joseph Wambaugh, a former LAPD detective sergeant (1960-1974), is the bestselling author of twenty-one prior works of fiction and nonfiction, including The Choirboys and The Onion Field. Wambaugh joined the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) in 1960. He served 14 years, rising to detective sergeant. He also attended California State University, Los Angeles, where he earned Bachelor of Arts and M ...more
More about Joseph Wambaugh...