Start by marking “The Mice Templar, Vol. 1: The Prophecy” as Want to Read:
The Mice Templar, Vol. 1:  The Prophecy

The Mice Templar, Vol. 1: The Prophecy (Mice Templar #1)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  293 ratings  ·  33 reviews
The young mouse Karic seeks to rescue his family from slavery and save his people from rat oppression by reuniting the legendary Mice Templar. But the Templar have been sundered by a vicious civil war, distrustful of one another, and despised by the very people they failed to protect. The fate of all creatures now rests in the paws of one small mouse, if only he can find t ...more
Published December 16th 2008 by Image Comics (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Mice Templar, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mice Templar, Vol. 1

Bellagbear
3 stars because I the artwork is very, very pretty. I also am slightly curious were this story is going ( to see if it is going to be a generel epuic fantasy quest, but then with mice (which is fine for fun reading) or if it is going to become more)

I also love fantasy set in cities, which I hope is going to happen a lot of the action in the next volumes.
Joss
The story of this graphic novel encompassed some of the traits I love in tales told by the greats like Tolkien. I won't get into details to avoid being a spoiler alert, but bits and pieces of the general plot did bring up thoughts of other stories I've read in the past. The differences and true creativity were in the details though.

Although some of the main points in the plot were classic warrior and underdog themes, the author crafted his work in a way that made me almost not realize it while
Lou
The majority of this will be under a spoiler tag, as I discuss things at different points of the book and I'm not entirely sure what will qualify as a spoiler.

(view spoiler)
Joshum Harpy
So the artist of this book makes a big deal out of saying that this book was something he had wanted to do for 30 years or 10 years or some b.s., but this book is without a doubt a massive ripoff of mouse guard and only got made because of mouse guard's success. He prints a short story he allegedly did years ago, but what fucking ever. Mouse guard is the same concept to the T and is just a better story, so do yourself a favor and read that instead. Obviously though, as a fan of Mouse Guard, I we ...more
El Templo de las Mil Puertas
"Con algo de retraso, como ya es habitual en nuestro país, llega esta serie de aventuras protagonizadas por ratones antropomórficos. Aunque a primera vista la suma de estos dos términos: Ratones + Templarios puede recordarnos a otros productos del tipo Tortugas + Ninjas, no es ésa la línea abordada por sus autores. No estamos ante un cómic cachondo, que parodia géneros clásicos. De hecho el guionista ha confesado que si esta historia está protagonizada por ratoncillos es por culpa de la influenc ...more
Meran
Loved this series from the moment I began reading. The lives of mice, as we've never thought of them; their challenges, wars, enemies, dreams, religions, families...

Lots of violence, wars, grown up topics. This is NOT for young children.

Highly recommended.
Madmortigan
This was such a delicious surprise. Ever since being a sucker of the Redwall series my thirst for mice and swords has run deep. This book has a pouch given from the Gods that gives as much water as is desired. My thirst has been slated.
The characters are real. They are flawed, they are kill able. The world of mice is not an easy one and the authors use this to make you feel very vulnerable and small. The art is amazing. For those of you that want an epic tale of fantasy and magic and faith and
Amy
*I read this book over a long span of time, putting it down to read pieces for homework instead. I feel like my view on the work overall is skewed because of this.*

I love Oeming's art throughout the book, but I wasn't really into the story. I weirdly have read a lot of stories about warrior mice and the like, and I felt Mice Templar to be an amalgamation of the best parts of all of them but done in a mediocre way. The page design was also disorienting at some times, with word bubbles being awkwa
Robert Hudder
Interesting take on Templar lore mixed in with Celtic mythology. Will have to see how it unfolds but enjoyed the first volume.
Fizzgig76
Reprints Mice Templar #1-6. Cricket's Glen is raided by rats, and Karic is faced with his destiny as a member of the Mice Templar. If you want a better story with a similar feel, pick up Mouse Guard. Mice Templar is rather confusing in plot and Oeming's art isn't his strongest. It is hard to follow what mouse is being portrayed because (especiallly at the beginning), they all look alike. Once the mice break up into groups, it becomes a little easier, but many of the relationships between the mic ...more
Denise
Jan 04, 2010 Denise rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: wpl
Something about this book drew me to it. As I began to read it I wasn't sure exactly what it was, but as I got further and further in to the book, I was hooked. I read it all in a single sitting, while not unusual for me with a graphic novel, I have been known to put them down when something distracts me, and this time I did not. (Yes mom, just the way I used to read the Sunday comics, ignoring the house burning down around me.)
An inspiring story that mixes Arthurian legend and tales of Nimh wit
Catherine
The artwork is interesting. The story line was hard to follow as it jumped around from character to character.
Kate Sherrod
A nicely mythic Watership Down with swords 8)
Camilo Guerra
¿ratones templarios?,¿Ratas asesinas?, ¿guerra entre buhos y murcielagos?, ¿magia negra?, oh por dios, lo único que lamento de este libro es haber esperado tanto por leerlo.Bueno, esta bien, la historia esta plagada de cliches del genero, como:

-Elegido para sacar a su pueblo de la oscuridad

-Maestro de pasado nubloso

-Guerra inmensa entre dos ejércitos

y muchos mas, pero son tratados de una manera honesta y preciosa, además el arte es inmaculado y la historia fluye sin problemas.
Michael Kelley
Awful, couldn't read more than half
Andrew Winkel
While I think that the style of the artwork really is well suited to the story concept, I couldn't always tell the mice characters from one another, and this was exacerbated by the numerous dark/shadowed scenes. The result is that there were times while reading that I found myself uncertain about the story events, which forced me to re-read sections.
I think readers who enjoy Glass's inspirations (The Secret of NIMH, Lord of the Rings, Watership Down) will enjoy this book.
Steve
Your first mistake is thinking this is a kid's story/comic. It becomes apparent after the first page or so that this is anything but. This is nothing less than a deep, engrossing fantasy epic. Yes, the protagonists are anthropomorphic mice, so if that doesn't do anything for you I'd say stay away... but if you loved things like Mrs. Brisby and the Rats of NIMH as a kid, and enjoy Game of Thrones as an an adult... then give this a chance.
Yann Wilhelm
Like the art. Heard that Mouse Guard seems to be the blueprint for this one. Can not speak about that, haven't read it BUT this one I liked a lot.
Lonnie Smith
I REALLY wanted to love this, but I couldn't quite get there. The art was good, and the basic story was great, but the dialogue writing was painful. I believe the writer was going for dramatic to match the graphic nature of the violence and to juxtapose that the main characters were mice, but it came across as over-dramatic and extremely cliche.
Alex
Just finished Volume One of the Mice Templar, and I am impressed. Great artwork and a very dark story line make for good reading. It is a little confusing at times to keep the characters straight, but the core of the story is honoring beliefs even when things are dark and not going your way.
Looking forward to the next volume
Angie
Loved the art in this, and found the story interesting & complex. I didn't like the non-ending, but I suppose that is sometimes to be expected in a comic-series.
This has some rather graphic depictions of suffering, but I still think it would be ok for young ones.
Eric Orchard
Beautifully drawn and surprisingly dark in tone. My one complaint is the digital colouring which I felt was too dark and sometimes obscured the artwork. I would have preferred it in black and white or coloured by Oeming.
Mel
After a bit of internet research, I discovered this book was actually conceptualized before Mouse Guard, even though it was published a year later. Unfortunately, it doesn't have any of the charm of David Petersen's book.
Claire
The art in this was fantastic, but the story was so hard to follow. The mice just look to much alike and everything happens so fast with not a whole lotta reason. The snake did give me the heeby jeebies though.
Elizabeth
Rather cute graphic novel about a young mouse who finds out that he will be the one to reunite the mice templar (a group of mice who go around protecting animals who need help) and save his family from the evil rats.
Scott
Reminded me a lot of Brian Jacques' animal stories that I used to read in grade school with my friend Dave. Very cool story and art. Not 100% on board with it yet, but I am interested in reading the next one.
Kathleen
Reviewed this for PW. The art is gorgeous, but the story's really confusing. Had hopes of recommending to my 10-year-old niece, but don't think that's in the cards...
Meredith
Sep 22, 2009 Meredith added it
Shelves: gn, ya, never-finished
Just couldn't get past the inevitable comparisons to Mouse Guard, and the art wasn't nearly as polished. Probably won't go back to this.
Jason Manley
An awesome, though kinda predictable, fantasy tale. I like fiction with mice as characters.
  • The Manhattan Projects, Vol. 4: The Four Disciplines
  • Rachel Rising, Volume 4: Winter Graves
  • The Astounding Wolf-Man, Volume 1
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 12: Grasscutter (Usagi Yojimbo #12)
  • The Stuff of Legend, Book 2: The Jungle
  • Angel & Faith: What You Want, Not What You Need (Angel & Faith, #5)
  • Fractured Fables
  • MIND MGMT, Vol. 2: The Futurist

Mice Templar (3 books)
  • The Mice Templar, Vol 2.1: Destiny Part One
  • The Mice Templar, Vol 2.2: Destiny Part Two
Raymond E. Feist's Magician Master The Mice Templar, Vol 2.1: Destiny Part One The Mice Templar, Vol 2.2: Destiny Part Two Thor: First Thunder The Mice Templar, Volume 3: A Midwinter's Night Dream (Mice Templar, #4)