Start by marking “Jane Austen: The Complete Novels” as Want to Read:
Jane Austen: The Complete Novels

Jane Austen: The Complete Novels

4.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  217 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Emma (1816) is Jane Austen's most characteristic work. Convinced that she understands the world, Emma rules over her invalid father and the small social circle of Highbury with well-meaning tyranny. But she is highly fallible where love is concerned, and her failings there cause many misunderstandings - as well as giving the reader much enjoyment as order is restored. In h ...more
Published September 3rd 1995 by Gramercy Books

To ask other readers questions about Jane Austen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jane Austen

Nick Black
Oct 14, 2008 Nick Black rated it really liked it
A fluency with Jane Austen is a practical necessity for dating smart girls, and hey! she's hilarious to boot. Admittedly, once you've read Pride and Prejudice you've pretty much read them all, except Mansfield Park which is just godawful and ought have been expurgated. Be prepared for a lot of lines like this, which are laugh-out-loud funny upon first reading, but become progressively less funny each time you encounter them:

Mary wished to say something very sensible, but knew not how.

Anyway, a
Dr.J.G.
Feb 05, 2016 Dr.J.G. rated it really liked it
Pride And Prejudice:-

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife." So the writer states right in the beginning.

That is because while this is assumed to be a romance it is really a very astute picture of society that transcends time and geography and social boundaries and cultures, and applies universally to any place where there are young women at an age ripe to marry without dowries to bring out grooms out of the woods
Michelle
Jun 09, 2008 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own
I decided to read Pride and Prejudice, which is found in this volume on my shelf. I cannot claim to have read the whole book, so I'll leave the status as to-read until such time I've consumed every novel therein.
I'm well aware of the wide-spread popularity of Pride and Prejudice, as well as of my own inadequacy in reviewing it. Therefore, I'll be like my old college English Lit professor, and go off on a tangent. Ummkay?
I waited until I was 31 to read this for the first time. Amazing, huh? I wa
Wendy Jakob
Jan 18, 2016 Wendy Jakob is currently reading it
Not a review - just a point of information. The details of the book suggests it included "Lady Susan" but in fact my edition does not but I couldn't find a compilation edition that excluded it.
Kim
Feb 01, 2008 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves:
Persuasion is done. I can't bare to read the other ones right now. Much switch genres! 7/08
------
I've finished Sense and Sensibility & Northanger Abbey and am currently in the middle of Persuasion. So still plugging along although I've had to take a break from Ms. Austen for another light read. 5/08
------
I have the Modern Library edition by Random House. 1364 pages of delight await. (Better keep the kettle on.) I have seen the films (BBC and newer versions) but surprisingly have only read Pr
tysephine
Aug 19, 2012 tysephine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I recommend this edition for all Jane Austen fans. It may be large and bulky but it has all seven completed Austen novels in one place - Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, Mansfield Park, Persuasion, Emma, Northanger Abbey, and Lady Susan.

Most collections do not include Lady Susan, which is a shame really. It was the first novel she wrote and is written entirely of letters. It deals shamelessly with marital infidelity and scheming women.

There are some typos in this edition (I'm sure the
Danette
Sep 23, 2009 Danette rated it really liked it
Shelves: novel
I am a fan of Jan Austen's Pride and Prejudice, and decided to read the whole collection of her books. I just finished book one, Sense and Sensibility.

The Dashwood sisters and their mother are a wonderful example of family unity. It was an eye opener to all things good and proper. The story was well told from Elinor Dashwood's loving perspective. I would of like to see the ending not wrap up into a happy ending so quickly. The end flew buy very quickly to the rest of the book. But, still a very
Jehan Jones-Radgowski
Jul 14, 2014 Jehan Jones-Radgowski rated it it was amazing
I love Jane Austen! I don't think I can write a review to do anything of her books justice! So I won't try. Just they are awesome and there is nothing I can (or should have to) say to prove that.
Rose West
Jun 07, 2009 Rose West rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Jane Austen is truly classic. I've read Sense & Sensibility twice. I like how it has an unhappy ending before the ever-presest Austenian happy ending. Persuasion is also one of my favorites. Jane Austen wrote novels of manners, where everything is based on principles and social structures. Her books feel like home to me. Not only are they good romances, they are excellent literature. Filled with dances and misunderstood lovers and English countryside.
Anna
Jan 25, 2011 Anna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, classics
I read Emma out of this just recently, I have always loved Jane Austen, especially Pride and Prejudice. I really liked Emma, the only thing I did not like was the annoying characters' (Mrs. Elton)long monologues about stupid things. I just skipped to the end of those lengthy speeches and all was well.
Janis
Apr 15, 2008 Janis rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book--you don't have to look for all the different books because they're all there! The drawings are wonderful and seem to be period-authentic. And it looks good on my shelf! I don't love all the books she wrote, but at least half of them I do. Well worth the investment.
Christina
Aug 13, 2007 Christina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2007, own
Ok, so I have already read a few of the books already and would be going back at this time for a little Pride & Prejudice refresher before starting some of the Mr.Darcy point of view books. But Austen is always a good read!

As good as always!
Emily
Feb 01, 2010 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classic, old-world, adult
I was given this book by my mom and dad years ago and I hungrily read all the books in it...I am now in LOVE with all of the Jane Austen books.

They are funny, sad, whitty, and petty...everything that makes up real people.
Lynne
Jun 17, 2010 Lynne rated it it was amazing
It's Jane Austen...what more do you need to know? I just finished Northanger Abbey 6/2010. I'd read the other novels previously. I still haven't read Lady Susan, which is included in this edition.
Sara
Aug 26, 2009 Sara rated it it was amazing
This has every book that Jane Austen ever wrote, and each one is amazing. The woman knew how to create a love story!! She is my favorite female author!
Ani
Jan 03, 2013 Ani rated it it was amazing
Leí Sense and sensibility y Pride and Prejudice.
El resto no todavía.

(Nota para el recuerdo: lo compré en 1999, $29... todavía existía la convertibilidad!).
Amber
Apr 05, 2008 Amber rated it it was amazing
I like having all her finished novels in one book. I generally peruse this book at least once a month.
deirdre
Feb 28, 2007 deirdre rated it it was amazing
I love Jane. If you think she just wrote chick lit, think again. These books are so much more than that.
Amy
Jun 17, 2009 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
They made fun of this book in the "The Jane Austen Book Club" but I love having the "all in one".
Jun 20, 2007 Sarah rated it it was amazing
began reading these at a young age...timeless classics with humor and truths hidden throughout.
Samantha
Oct 24, 2011 Samantha rated it it was amazing
Finally finished reading Persuasion! I loved it, but not as much as Pride & Prejudice! :D
Kate
Jan 24, 2008 Kate rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
I first read her in high school and have come to love her wit even more the older I get.
Nikki
Oct 09, 2007 Nikki rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
I have read each of her novels over and over. I love them all. Jane Austen is the best!
Alicia Beale
May 19, 2007 Alicia Beale rated it really liked it
Either you were on Ms. Austen's good side or you were destined a spinster.
Jennifer Ashton-Smith
Jul 17, 2012 Jennifer Ashton-Smith is currently reading it
I don't plan on finishing this anytime soon as much as I love Austen's work.
Marcela Batisteli
Aug 10, 2012 Marcela Batisteli rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love Jane Austen. I can never get tired of reading her.
Lesha
Dec 31, 2009 Lesha rated it it was amazing
although I have read one of the stories so far.
Hani Iskadarwati
Sep 06, 2007 Hani Iskadarwati rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: friends
my ultimate choice of night's reading
Airmid
Jul 11, 2007 Airmid rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, british
Love them!
nap385
nap385 rated it really liked it
May 04, 2016
Jane Austen was an English novelist whose works of romantic fiction, set among the landed gentry, earned her a place as one of the most widely read writers in English literature, her realism and biting social commentary cementing her historical importance among scholars and critics.

Austen lived her entire life as part of a close-knit family located on the lower fringes of the English landed gentry
More about Jane Austen...