Start by marking “Knitspeak: An A to Z Guide to the Language of Knitting Patterns” as Want to Read:
Knitspeak: An A to Z Guide to the Language of Knitting Patterns

Knitspeak: An A to Z Guide to the Language of Knitting Patterns

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Written in a friendly, reassuring tone and formatted for quick reference, 'Knitspeak' Andrea Berman begins with an overview of how knitting patterns are organized. It then offers a comprehensive alphabetical listing of all the abbreviations, words, phrases and symbols typically encountered in patterns.
Published September 1st 2007 by Stewart, Tabori and Chang

To ask other readers questions about Knitspeak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knitspeak

Hilary
This is an excellent book for new knitters, people returning to knitting after a long absence or people who just to be able to read the patterns. It covers American knitting terms but includes British or "old" pattern translations for those who come across alternate patterns, and very clear illustrations and reference tables. There's a comprehensive A-Z, plus an appendix with more detailed discussions about yarn types and how to make substitutions, how to read yarn labels, etc.

I can see this bei
The Bookwyrm's Hoard
Review originally published at The Bookwyrm's Hoard.

Andrea Berman Price coined the term "Knitspeak" for the language of knitters, a language comprised of knitting terms and the mysterious (to beginners) abbreviations used in knitting patterns. As Price herself remarks, knitters who have learned the basics of cast-on, knit, and purl are often baffled when they try to knit something more complicated than, say, a scarf. What does k1f&b mean? Or M1R? How do you read a pattern chart? And what's a
Joan
One of the local yarn shops hosted the author when she gave a workshop on knitting as a form of meditation. She was a wonderful teacher and explained that she was moved to write the book when she realized that many people were unable to understand the patterns and directions for knitting projects they were working on.

The book is a listing of abbreviations, charts, illustrations and helpful information. I keep mine close when I'm working on a project. I've tabbed a couple of charts that I use whe
Mckinley
Helpful, short descriptions of terms and illustrations of stitches and such.
Megan Blosser
Handy little reference book of knitting terms and illustrations.
Tanya
Aug 25, 2008 Tanya rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Beginning and Tntermediate knitters
Shelves: 2008-books
A compact, easy-to-follow dictionary of knitting terminology , this provides clear, easy-to-follow diagrams of knitting stitches as well as guidance on how to read a pattern. Definitely worth checking out if you don't understand the directions you are supposed to follow and have found a must have project you want to cast on.
Shannon
This is exactly what it sounds like - a dictionary of knitting terms. It's a good reference book, particularly for beginner knitters who are unsure of what many of these terms mean.
Connie
Good to have for a knitter like me who never remembers or understands pattern/knitting terms. Has a very helpful index to look up terms. My only complaint is that the font is too small!
Audra
Aug 19, 2008 Audra rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All Knitters
This is a great reference book. I would recommend this for any knitter to buy and keep with them in their knitting bag. I plan on buying this and adding it to my own stash!
Terri
Oct 03, 2008 Terri rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any knitter
Recommended to Terri by: Jamie Gonce
This is the greatest little book for any knitter out there- It is a dictionary to help you unlock knitting directions and patterns. Jamie and I use it all the time.
Shannon
*Knitspeak* is a great resource for learning how to understand pattern language. Both the writing and the diagrams are clear and easy to understand.
Dayna
This is a handy little reference book. I just need to buy it.
Nancy
it wasnt exactly what I was looking for
Miss Mouse
A good reference book.
Dan J
Dan J marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Sara VA
Sara VA marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Ronnie
Ronnie marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Lory Riddlemoser
Lory Riddlemoser marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Katie Wyatt
Katie Wyatt marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Knitspeak: An A to Z Guide to the Language of Knitting Patterns Knitspeak: An A to Z Guide to the Language of Knitting Patterns