Start by marking “Fugitive Nights” as Want to Read:
Fugitive Nights

Fugitive Nights

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  283 ratings  ·  19 reviews
For some, it's the pleasure capitol of the world. For others, it's a city of last chances, a paradise on the edge of the desert. For soon-to-be-ex-cop Lynn Cutter, sweating out a disability pension, it could become a point of no return.

As a rule, Cutter wouldn't give a private investigator the time of day, but Breda Burrows is the exception to every rule. Sultry, blue-eyed

Published May 9th 1995 by Random House Value Publishing (first published January 1st 1992)

Bobby Norman
What do I think? I think it's one of the best things he's ever done. In the middle of gore and vulgarity he's got me laughing my head off. There are very few authors where all you need is their name to purchase the book. If it says Joseph Wambaugh, I'll buy it. So, get a copy of Fugitive Nights, drive to Starbucks, order a coffee or green tea and read a great story.
Razvan Banciu
The style seems appropiate to Raymond Chandler, humour and a non-heroical main character included. The plot is an akward one and the bad guy isn't bad at all, characters have some deepness. there is a twist in the final, who let us think about life and human kindness. a decent book, not a memorable one...
Evyn Charles
I have been reading this author's books (mostly) in chronological order. He is always good and sometimes great. "Fugitive Nights" finds him at the top of his form, once again returning to his familiar ground of cops and criminals. Great colorful/multi dimensional characters, fast paced story with plenty of action/romance, too. Also some of the funniest lines I have read anywhere. As I finished the book, I wished I could stay with the characters a little longer and find out what happens to them. ...more
Joseph Wambaugh returns to glamorous Palm Springs desert to give us a suspense novel that uses glamour and that awsome desert in equal measure.
Dec 26, 2012 Sean rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one!
I have enjoyed Joseph Wambaugh's work in the past but this novel defies explanation. It contains possibly the worst dialogue I have ever read. No one talks the way this man wrote the characters in this book an its so odd based on some of his other work. Maybe he's making fun of people similar to this but I doubt it. The plot is absurd. This is a big miss. I bought this for fifty cents at a library sale and grossly overpaid.
Jun 21, 2008 Tracey rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes detective stories and know the CA desert communities
I bought this as a used book. I was sick for a week in May, so read a bunch of books. This was one that was easy to pick up and read. I liked it because it was set in the desert communities (Palm Springs, Rancho Mirage, Palm Desert, etc.), so I was familiar with the terrain and the society.
I always enjoy Joseph Wambaugh's books with his insight into the working of the minds of the common people and his vivid descriptions. I had no idea how this story would pan out. It turned out that none of the ideas I had about the fugitive were on target. Good climax!
Nikki Handros
Now I know why I put this book aside nearly 20 years ago without finishing it. I just could not get into this book and never felt invested in the characters or the plot. A real disappointment from Wambaugh.
Bonnie Murray
was ok but won't rush to read more of his books based on this one
Mary Beth
A pretty good crime novel. I enjoyed the southern California setting and Joseph Wambaugh caused me to laugh out loud a few times with his comical descriptions.
Erica Dietlein
I couldn't finish it. Hard to read. Got say 82 pages in...? Before I quit and did something I never do...I gave the book away. >.>
Thom Dunn
Nov 10, 2009 Thom Dunn marked it as to-read
[My note inside says I read this 5/1995--Today, 11/2009, I can't recall a thing about it.

Cops, ex-cops, Palm Springs, "suspected terrorist," golf cart chase scene = Fun!
Frank Cavanaugh

Good read, the characters make you want to read the next one. 8/10
Jane Morris
Excellent mystery with well drawn characters. Also very funny.
A captivating murder mystery.
May 01, 2009 Tommyb added it
Shelves: 11-21-2007, 6-50
Oct 23, 2008 Cws added it
Shelves: mystery
M Wam
Mary-Ann Maronski
Mary-Ann Maronski marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Intrepid86 marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
  • Voodoo, Ltd. (Arthur Case Wu, #3)
  • Truth Lies Bleeding
  • Sacrificial Ground (Frank Clemons, #1)
  • Bye Bye Baby
  • The Frailty of Flesh
  • Lucky Day
  • Bleed a River Deep (Inspector Devlin, #3)
  • Cold Grave
  • How the Dead Live
  • Laugh Again
  • Ammunition (Inspector Brant, #7)
  • Timothy's Game
  • Long Way Home
  • Mischief (87th Precinct #45)
  • All Our Yesterdays
  • The Twelfth Department (Captain Alexei Dimitrevich Korolev, #3)
  • Nightwing
  • Heir To Falconhurst
Joseph Wambaugh, a former LAPD detective sergeant (1960-1974), is the bestselling author of twenty-one prior works of fiction and nonfiction, including The Choirboys and The Onion Field. Wambaugh joined the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) in 1960. He served 14 years, rising to detective sergeant. He also attended California State University, Los Angeles, where he earned Bachelor of Arts and M ...more
More about Joseph Wambaugh...