Start by marking “The Law of Second Chances (Jack Tobin, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Law of Second Chances (Jack Tobin, #2)

The Law of Second Chances (Jack Tobin #2)

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  323 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews

Jack Tobin, a Florida trial lawyer, is committed to justice for the innocent. But when he’s presented with Henry Wilson’s case, he’s unsure of the convict’s innocence. Wilson has eight weeks to live, and Tobin has to decide if he can and will help him.

Benny Avrile is a small-time thief with his eye on an oil man’s big billfold. But Benny is way over his head on this one

Published March 4th 2008 by St. Martin's Press (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Law of Second Chances, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Law of Second Chances

Steve O'Brien
Sep 16, 2010 Steve O'Brien rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved The Mayor of Lexington Avenue, so I couldn't resist picking up this book. Structurally, the book is fascinating because it involves three distinct story lines and I kept wondering how he would tie them all together. In fact, at times I thought maybe he wouldn't tie them together, but it worked beautifully.
Jack Tobin is an attorney who has semi-retired to a small town in Florida. His passion is providing legal assistance to death row inmates. Dealing with his wife's cancer and
Maddy
May 31, 2010 Maddy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009-reads
PROTAGONIST: Jack Tobin, lawyer
SETTING: Florida
SERIES: 2 of 2
RATING: 4.25

Jack Tobin is a retired trial lawyer who has found new meaning in his life by representing death row inmates. He works pro bono and won't accept a case until he feels that his client is innocent. He's worked some real miracles in the courtroom, freeing criminals who have a death penalty or life in prison facing them. He finds the work fulfilling and is living a life of joy with his wife, Pat, in their own little paradise in
Lynnette Phillips
Feb 24, 2011 Lynnette Phillips rated it it was amazing
A fast paced legal thriller you'll want to read straight through.

James Sheehan's second novel, The Law of Second Chances, has brought us a captivating novel deftly weaving the principle of "6 degrees of separation" into the story of Jack Tobin, a Florida trial lawyer. This intriguing thriller was published in March 2008 by St. Martins Press.

Jack Tobin had been a successful civil trial lawyer, establishing his own firm. After twenty years he sells out his twenty million dollar interest to retire
Minty McBunny
This series (actually books 3 & 4) was recommended to me by a coworker who has steered me right on many occasions, so I keep plugging away any it, but compared to the streamlined, zingy pace of Rosenfelt's Andy Edwards series which I have recently fallen in love with, and the fresh, sharply focused stories of Lisa Black, another recent discovery, these stories just plod and meander. It's like walking a fat old sheepdog after you've been running with a Greyhound.

The stories are interesting a
Nitzan Ventura
Nov 25, 2014 Nitzan Ventura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Law of Second Chances by James Sheehan is a legal thriller about Jack Tobin, a trial lawyer, who is committed in finding justice for the innocent. Jack Tobin has to deal with two major cases, both in which the convicts are sitting on death row. The first being of Benny Avrile, a young pickpocket thief who steals in order to keep himself going. Benny doesn't usually take on big robberies, and was way over his head when he decided to team up with another thief and steal from the multi-billiona ...more
Linda Watkins
Dec 13, 2014 Linda Watkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't read Sheehan's work before this. It is an engaging legal thriller/mystery with a big surprise at the end. It's one of those books where at the end you say..... I knew I hated that person from the minute he/she showed up in the book! It isn't exactly a "who done it" mystery... You know who done it from the beginning. Then the plot thickens! He has three separate plot lines going from the beginning & I was racing him to see if I could figure how they would come together, because they ...more
Kim
Jan 25, 2014 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaway-books
I received an advanced copy of this book through a free giveaway at Goodreads. I don't usually enter giveaways for books in a series without having read the first one, but this story was able to stand alone while incorporating events from the first book in the series. Once I began reading, I realized that the story was more involved than the simple description led me to believe. There were many layers to this story, thus the book contained two parts.

Three distinct threads of the story presented
Mary Ann
Mar 25, 2016 Mary Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is really two novels in one. Lawyer Jack Tobin, the main character in several novels by James Sheehan, first works to save Henry Wilson, an innocent man from execution. The new evidence and the reprieve come seconds before the execution. Then the newly freed Henry helps Jack, in the trial of Benny Avril, a small time crook accused of a high profile case. The truth tumbles out in the end of the story. Sheehan’s Jack Tobin novels are very good reads.
Rebecca
May 21, 2014 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I demolished this book in two days. Sheehan uses real-life cases to establish a timeline and give a new depth to the story. He doesn't just create likeable characters, he invents a world for them that invests the reader in the outcome. Even those who, like me, couldn't tell you anything about criminal law will become engrossed in the courtroom drama as Jack Tobin once again puts it all on the line for a friend and the chance to right a wrong. Brilliant work, once again.
Nisha D'lima
Apr 16, 2015 Nisha D'lima rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An unpretentious read, took one star of for predictive elements in the book classic story of the proverbial wounded soldier still helping his fellow man, throw in a legal context, two heart stopping court cases and you get a very good nightly read. The protagonist Jack and his supporting character Henry make you feel very optimistic about life indeed. I'll definitely be watching for more books from this author.
Caroline
Feb 05, 2013 Caroline rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, legal, murder
This is the first book I have read by this author and decided to give it a try after seeing his latest novel listed on the Best Seller list. The main character, Jack Tobin, is an attorney in southern Florida committed to getting justice for those who have been wrongly convicted of murder. I thought that the author did a good job with his character development (I even shed a tear or two), even though I did think that he could have edited down the sections dealing with his childhood. All-in-all, I ...more
Mary Lou
Jul 02, 2011 Mary Lou rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011
Anita Mott
May 13, 2015 Anita Mott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a new author for me, and I would certainly read more of his works. The only thing I didn't like were the chapters in italics. I ended up not reading them. I kept hoping that Jack would get interested in Charlie.
Elizabeth
Dec 13, 2014 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly good:
Picked this up because it was lying on a shelf and didn't expect much, but I enjoyed the format and the fact that it was more than one story. It kept me hooked and reading late at night!
Jessica
Apr 16, 2008 Jessica rated it it was amazing
This book was a lot like Law and Order to me, there three parts to the book, the crime, the investigation and the trial of one crime but in between that there are several other stories going on that all tie together at a point, it is a story of friendship and love and trust. Plus the ending was fabulous, it was unexpected, at least to me. I would honestly say it was one of my favorite books that I have read in a long time.
Judy
Sep 22, 2008 Judy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: mystery readers
This is the first book I had read by this author. It is really good, and one that you won't want to put down. It does have a few slow pages when he reflects back on his teenage years, however, if the reader hangs on, it ties the story together as you progress through the book. One of the best mysteries I have read in a long time.
Emma
Jan 28, 2014 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't think I enjoyed this book as much as the first one. although I enjoyed the ending better in this book. a great story any way you look at it really.
Joe
Oct 25, 2009 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent 2nd novel feat Jack Tobin from James Sheehan, really nice style has this author. Really enjoyed and in his main character Jack Tobin he has quite an engaging and likeable man.

I look forward to the next Jack Tobin novel - this author in my opinion is a series rival to John Grisham..
Jenae (Jeni)
Sep 28, 2013 Jenae (Jeni) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I loved this book. It was a little convoluted in the beginning, but all came together quickly. This is the first book I have read by this author, but it won't be the last. The ending had a wonderful twist. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes legal thrillers, or any thrillers.
Aug 30, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it
This book was a bit slow in the beginning bouncing back and forth but once the trials started in got quite interesting. It had a few twists, some expected, some not. It had likeable characters and especially Henry. It was overall a good, quick read, not to far fetched.
Kate
Oct 17, 2009 Kate rated it it was amazing
Jack Tobin has made enough money in his career at law to be "retired" and take whatever cases appeal to him. He takes on two lost causes, death-penalty stories, one in Florida and one in New York. Great suspense and twists at the end of both stories make this my kind of book!
Kathy
Sep 16, 2014 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 2 in the life of Jack Tobin, Florida Lawyer. Jack now represents inmates on Death Row and we meet Henry and his life on death row. His characters from The Mayor of Lexington Avenue are also in this novel and all brought together to make a very suspenseful novel.
Graham
Jul 22, 2013 Graham rated it really liked it
This book had two halves, I really enjoyed the first half, in particular the football stories. The second half is where the action really picks up and it finished strong. The lawyer aspect wasn't as good as a Grisham novel, but it was still entertaining.
Patricia
Mar 12, 2008 Patricia rated it it was amazing
I posted a review of this book on Armchair Interviews and I really liked the book. If you like legal/thrillers this is for you. I intend to buy The Mayor of Lexington Avenue the book that came before The Law of Second Chances by Jame Sheehan.
Jack
Jun 30, 2013 Jack rated it liked it
This excellent legal thriller is the second novel from Florida based James Sheehan. The five story lines intertwine and eventually become connected by the end. An interesting group of characters that you would like to hear more about.
Donna Gullickson
Dec 22, 2014 Donna Gullickson rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
I thought his first book was good. This book has just as many emotions & stories within one story, but they all connected. Jack is a great character! I can hardly wait for book 3. I recommend reading these books in order.
Bob
Jul 28, 2008 Bob rated it liked it
While the writing was good, the legal basis of this legal thriller was quite weak. It takes several days for an attorney who does capital punishment litigation to find Brady v. Maryland? I don't think so.
Peggy Swenson
Sep 22, 2012 Peggy Swenson rated it it was amazing
I loved both his books. I picked up his first one by chance and couldn't wait for this one. Hope he's busy on his next novel.

Al Menaster
May 10, 2013 Al Menaster rated it really liked it
Better than sheehan's first book. Two really good parts, the death row exoneration and then a full murder trial.
Bobby B
Feb 07, 2013 Bobby B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So far, so good. Hoping it is as good or better than "The Mayor of Lexington Avenue."
  • Darkside
  • Eye Of The Beholder
  • Hope Conquers All: Inspiring Stories of Love and Healing from CaringBridge
  • Dark Harbor (Scott Finn #1)
  • The Judgment
  • The Deep Blue Alibi (Solomon vs. Lord, #2)
  • The Disappearance (Luke Garrison, #1)
  • The Color of Law (Scott Fenney #1)
  • True Justice (Butch Karp, #12)
  • A Conflict of Interest
  • Fatal Flaw (Victor Carl, #3)
  • The Guardian
  • The Jury Master (David Sloane, #1)
  • The Guilty Plea (Detective Greene, #2)
  • Death Qualified - A Mystery of Chaos (Barbara Holloway #1)
  • Dreaming Southern
  • The Letter of the Law (Casey Jordan, #1)
  • Law of Attraction (Anna Curtis, #1)
James Sheehan was born in New York City and grew up there in a four-room railroad apartment
with his five brothers and sisters.

He started working at the age of twelve, shining shoes at a local shoe-repair shop. At fourteen,
he had a newspaper round. He worked at a local delicatessen, an antique store where he stripped
and delivered furniture, as a construction worker during the summers, a short-orde
More about James Sheehan...

Jack Tobin (3 books)
  • The Mayor of Lexington Avenue (Jack Tobin, #1)
  • The Lawyer's Lawyer (Jack Tobin, #3)