Start by marking “Janes in Love (Janes, #2)” as Want to Read:
Janes in Love (Janes, #2)

Janes in Love (Janes #2)

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,747 Ratings  ·  185 Reviews
In this sequel to The Plain Janes, the Janes are back. But when the Janes become entangled in matters of the heart, they discover that in art and in love, the rules don't always apply. Young adult.
Published September 23rd 2008 by Minx

To ask other readers questions about Janes in Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Janes in Love

Rapunzel's Revenge by Shannon HaleThe Stonekeeper by Kazu KibuishiGakuen Alice, Vol. 01 by Tachibana HiguchiLife Sucks by Jessica AbelFruits Basket, Volume 02 by Natsuki Takaya
Great Graphic Novels for Teens? 2007-2008
17th out of 161 books — 182 voters
Smile by Raina TelgemeierThe Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian SelznickThe Stonekeeper by Kazu KibuishiBone, Vol. 1 by Jeff SmithDiary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney
Best Graphic Novels for Children
184th out of 772 books — 1,059 voters

More lists with this book...

Colleen Venable
The first PLAIN JANES book was in my top three books I read in 2007 and Cecil Castellucci is AWESOME in general. (I'm a huge fan of her BEIGE). This book definitely wasn't as magical as the first. Then again maybe it's just that I hate sequels AND books with flowers or pink on the cover. (Luckily there wasn't any glitter involved. Phew!) I also love ambiguous endings, so I didn't feel a sequel was needed at all, though I know many folks were begging for it. One of the reasons I loved the first b ...more
Salsabrarian
Feb 04, 2016 Salsabrarian rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, school, graphic, novel, high, art
The Janes are at it again, creating art and beauty on the sly but they finally get caught and must do community service. But art cannot be contained and neither can love as several of the Janes seek boyfriends. The main Jane must also cope with her mother who's become reclusive after receiving bad news; an art grant application process; and balancing the attentions of Riswan and Damon. The main Jane is wrought with much angst, enough to make me say "snap out of it!" But she is a teenager and tha ...more
Laura (booksnob)
Aug 03, 2015 Laura (booksnob) rated it it was amazing
I love the Janes and their passion for spreading art and making the world a beautiful place. Excellent graphic novel and just as good as the first book, The Plain Janes.
BookCupid
Nov 11, 2014 BookCupid rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic
Jane likes Damon. The problem is her art project (P.L.A.I.N) landed him in community service, and now he keeps rebuffing her attempts to get close again. First, by going around with another girl, then by declining her invitation to a school dance because he'd rather go with a friend. Should Jane move on?

There were too many characters, leaving the rest underdeveloped. Like a secret admirer that wasn't really addressed. Instead, we get Jane and her five friends moping around because they can't fin
Stephen
Jun 05, 2014 Stephen rated it it was ok
The little spark of magic that you witnessed in the first Janes book is gone. The first one dealt with some genuinely good kids who just wanted to make their town a little more interesting, so they formed a 'gang' of artists who did artsy things. (The one real flaw in the first book was that these independent young women let a young man take the rap for their crimes).

This time around...sheesh...uh...it was kinda like Sex and the City 2, or the sequel to Romancing the Stone, or the sequel to Bas
Julia
Sep 21, 2014 Julia rated it it was ok
(side note: why does the cover of the online ed have Jane w/ blue hair, but my physical book have Jane w/ red hair?)
I was really disappointing by this book. I read the 1st one a long time ago and really liked it. Al the characters were cool and the plot was interesting.
This book is weird. There were scenes I really didn't understand (like when Jayne made the pheromones) and many scenes with diologue, but no interaction; all the characters said some thing about the topic, but they didn't really
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Completely in love with The Plain Janes, I thought this one was good but had difficulty comparing with the beautiful theme and emotional ache of the first book. One review mentioned that it seemed cluttered, and I guess I may agree, as I have difficulty remembering the details of the story while the first is still clear in my mind. It's still a good read, but definitely start with the first volume and keep your expectations in check.
Kathleen
Feb 16, 2016 Kathleen rated it really liked it
I'm not really sure why I read this. Possibly because it was a graphic novel and it was short and I was bored? Janes in Love is the sequel to The Plain Janes, in which I was somewhat disappointed.

This one is also okay? The ending makes far more sense and is far less abrupt than the first. In Janes in Love, the PLAIN Janes continue their guerrilla art campaign (which continues to be treated, weirdly, like a terrorist campaign) and get entangled with various dudes at school. I found the various l
Alexandria
A graphic novel about teen girls fighting the establishment, cultural expectations, and finding love in a way that doesn't let the boy's attention become their only focus? SIGN ME UP.

I love the Plain Janes series, and strongly recommend it to anyone who likes graphic novels, is a female, likes females, or generally likes good writing.

In this installment of the series, the girls are back to their art-loving ways, and Main Jane finds herself falling for a local boy after her sleeping beauty wakes
Liv
Feb 07, 2013 Liv rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone (especially females) who like creating things
Recommended to Liv by: May
Shelves: manga, ya, comics
Brittany
Oct 20, 2011 Brittany rated it it was amazing
The Janes are back at it. A bust at New Year's won't hold them back. They know that art saves, and their town needs saving. Of course, their hearts need saving too. They are all pining away for someone. Officer Sanchez is none to pleased about having more art "vandals"on the loose. When the Janes get shaken up though they know they have to change their approach. Maybe if they can get a grant the town will see them as "real" artists and start to appreciate the beauty all around them.

This was anot
Holly Letson
In the continuation of The Plain Janes, a few things are finally tied up, and love seems to make everything a bit more confusing.
We do find out who MainJane's "Sleeping Prince" is. He's John Miroslav from Poland. Unfortunately, we find this out by her passing out when his letters are returned, and having her boy friend drive her back to Metro City without asking her parent's permission.
Luckily, the nurse in MC has his address in Poland, and gives it to Jane, even after the main nurse refuses
Jessica-Robyn
The P.L.A.I.N Janes feels a little bit too plain.

While I was reading Janes in Love the sequel to The Plain Janes my overall feeling was "shrug". This was a solid continuation of the previous story, set only days after the final events in the last graphic novel. But for me, this worked more against it then for it. It's just more of the same thing, and although I liked the last book and would recommend it to anyone who's interested, I don't see why this was made as a separate title.

I liked that t
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Karin Librarian for TeensReadToo.com

Problems are looming on the horizon, though. Valentine's Day is just around the corner, and everyone is looking for a sweetheart for the big dance and pulling their sneak art attacks are getting harder and harder with Officer Sanchez always on the lookout.

Jane still maintains correspondence with Miroslaw from the first book. Fro
Abby
Jun 06, 2008 Abby rated it liked it
Shelves: teen, comix
A decent follow-up to the first one, which I still think is probably the best Minx title so far. This one starts off a month or two after the events of the first volume. Valentine's Day is just around the corner, and all the Janes are talking about their love interests. Main Jane isn't sure if she wants to be in love -- art and friendship should be enough, right? As she puts it "making art is my love letter to the world." But she can't shake her feelings for Damon, a boy who took the fall for P. ...more
In this sequel to The Plain Janes, which follows almost immediately on the action from the first graphic novel, Valentine's Day is approaching leading the Janes to focus on their relationships - or lack thereof. Main Jane's sort-of crush Damon is doing community service since he got caught at the New Year's art attack. Then, after all the Janes but Theater Jane get caught performing their next art attack, main Jane begins to question whether what they're doing is right if it gets everyone in tro ...more
Lawral
May 25, 2010 Lawral marked it as read-but-unowned
Shelves: ya
Again, this is a cute top story with some seriousness underneath. All the Janes are secretly pining after someone, and a girls-ask-the-guys dance prompts them to act on their feelings. Main Jane is crushing on Damon, but afraid to talk to him after his arrest for her art attack. Miroslaw (formerly John Doe) is awake, and he and Jane exchange letters and care packages. He inspires Jane to apply for an art grant to make the P.L.A.I.N. Janes legit. Meanwhile another attack in Metro City scares Jane ...more
Karin
Oct 18, 2008 Karin rated it really liked it
In this second installment of the PLAIN JANES series, the gang is looking for new ways to spread art around the community. Problems are looming on the horizon though. Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and everyone is looking for a sweetheart for the big dance and pulling their sneak art attacks are getting harder and harder with Officer Sanchez always on the look out.

Jane still maintains correspondence with Miroslaw from the first book. From one of the letters Jane gets from him, she ge
randy
Jun 11, 2008 randy rated it liked it
I got this over the weekend and was really excited when I saw it. I had no business really liking the the 1st book, other than it being a good story with believable characters, but i enjoyed it a lot.

This one seemed rushed in a way The Plain Janes was not. Maybe there was just too much going on for the limits of a minx book. From hearing her talk, I know Cecil Castellucci wants this to be a 4 book series, but maybe 5 books would have been better.

Main Jane is still the most developed character an
Angie
Jan 10, 2014 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Synopsis: "The second volume of the critically acclaimed series finds a group of high school girls each named Jane, who are anything but ordinary, playing cupid. Plus P.L.A.I.N. (People Loving Art In Neighborhoods) goes global once the girl gang procures a spot in Metro City Museum of Modern Art contest."

My Review: I love this series and the message within it, and this second volume definitely kept up to par with the first. I really enjoy the difference between the Janes and how even with that d
Kyra
Feb 25, 2016 Kyra rated it really liked it
Great follow-up to The Plain Janes!
Janes In Love picks up where we left off, with Jane trying to make public art, but struggling with the law, the boy, the Janes & her mother's (mental/emotional) illness.
The boy/girl romance in this sequel makes the story a little more High School, and probably very real for a younger reader.
Love the hopeful ending. <3
Mark
Mar 17, 2009 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good entry from Cciel Castellucci, but I really didn't enjoy it as much as the first. Maybe that's just me, but something got lost between books 1 and 2; this is not to say that Janes in Love is not good, or is not a fantastic example of what is possible when an author writes a graphic novel with female leads, without clearly angling for female readers. It is a good novel, just not great. The story picks up soon after The Plain Janes ends, with Jane and her friends spreading art around t ...more
Rachel
Dec 06, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This and the first book, P.L.A.I.N. Janes, are really cute graphic novels about a group of high school girls who all have the name Jane and do some public art projects together. Some of them argue and misunderstand each other and sometimes they make up and sometimes they don't.
The Reading Rose
4.5*
loved it pretty much as much as the first one. the only problem I had with it was a few bad morals being overly shown. If for example there were only a few bad words (preferably none) in ANY book ever, or only a bit of kissing or even sex implied but not described at all, I wouldn't drop the rating for such a thing. but when there is several characters doing whatever and its obvious what the authors trying to say, I can make it obvious too. so that's why it got .5 less stars lol
I just love how deep this duology goes with characters and story-development. A lovely continuation of The Plain Janes for sure!
jess
Feb 21, 2009 jess rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009, graphic-novels
I love the Minx titles, and I loved P.L.A.I.N. Janes. Art terrorism by teen girls in suburbia as a method of bonding and healing? SIGN ME UP. Janes in Love, however, is the nearly lackluster sequel to the PLAIN Janes set around Valentine's Day, built around the romances of the Janes, with most of the neighborhood-art-loving focus on a single, grant-funded, city-sanctioned artpark. So much of what I loved about the PLAIN Janes is completely gone. I still gave it a few stars because there were som ...more
Lauren Candia
Sep 04, 2014 Lauren Candia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
I just loved these "Janes" books. So cute and had great messages about art and its ability to change entire neighborhoods. I also love the diversity shown in the panels. A standout graphic novel series.
Heydi Smith
Aug 21, 2014 Heydi Smith rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I didn't feel this novel had the impact that the first novel The Plain Janes had. But it was nice to see the development of the characters and the story. I thought a few of the characters repeated themselves way to much and it seemed like no one even listened, that was annoying but then that is life, at least in my experience.

All in all I enjoyed it but think it's appeal is limited to fans of the first book.
Valerie (He Said Books Or Me)
In this follow up book, the Janes are back. This time P.L.A.I.N is at risk due to the tough cracking down the city is having on them. In addition, there are some new love interests that catch the attention of the Janes’. A comic that is equally as amusing as the first one, I really wish that they would have kept going with this series. Alas, I am happy that they gave us two!
Lady Knight
While I enjoyed this one, the first was definitely better. I really have to credit Castellucci for, while there is certainly a happy ending, not everything turns out exactly like one would assume from the beginning of the graphic novel.

The characters are all pretty much the same... not a lot of growth here, but Jane's parents are highlighted much more than the previous volume and play a more key role.

Overall a decent read that should please fans of the first one. You do need to read The Plain Ja
  • Emiko Superstar
  • Re-Gifters
  • Good as Lily
  • Token
  • Kimmie66
  • The New York Four
  • Breaking Up (Fashion High Graphic Novel)
  • Burnout
  • Chiggers
  • Clubbing
  • The War at Ellsmere
  • Americus
  • Will & Whit
  • Into The Volcano
  • Foiled (Foiled, #1)
  • Runaways, Vol. 4: True Believers (Runaways, #4)
  • Garage Band
  • Calamity Jack (Rapunzel's Revenge, #2)
Cecil Castellucci is an author of young adult novels and comic books. Titles include Boy Proof, The Year of the Beasts (illustrated by Nate Powell), First Day on Earth, Rose Sees Red, Beige, The Queen of Cool The Plain Janes and Janes in Love (illustrated by Jim Rugg), Tin Star Stone in the Sky, Odd Duck (illustrated by Sara Varon) and Star Wars: Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure.

Her short
More about Cecil Castellucci...

Janes (2 books)
  • The Plain Janes (Janes, #1)