Start by marking “Janes in Love (Janes, #2)” as Want to Read:
Janes in Love (Janes, #2)

Janes in Love (Janes #2)

3.71  ·  Rating Details ·  1,804 Ratings  ·  192 Reviews
In this sequel to The Plain Janes, the Janes are back. But when the Janes become entangled in matters of the heart, they discover that in art and in love, the rules don't always apply. Young adult.
Published September 23rd 2008 by Minx

To ask other readers questions about Janes in Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Janes in Love

Licha
Sep 07, 2016 Licha rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel, series
Highly bored with the concept of "vandalizing" the town with artwork. And that should be a very bad sign, for that's what the main plot is about. I'm just glad to be done with this and thankful that this only went on for two volumes. Wanted to love this, but I found myself being really over it since vol. 1.

Colleen Venable
The first PLAIN JANES book was in my top three books I read in 2007 and Cecil Castellucci is AWESOME in general. (I'm a huge fan of her BEIGE). This book definitely wasn't as magical as the first. Then again maybe it's just that I hate sequels AND books with flowers or pink on the cover. (Luckily there wasn't any glitter involved. Phew!) I also love ambiguous endings, so I didn't feel a sequel was needed at all, though I know many folks were begging for it. One of the reasons I loved the first ...more
Nickcole
Sep 17, 2016 Nickcole rated it it was amazing
Rating: 5

I'm in love with this series because it is such a good tale of growing up and wanting to make the world a better place. I cannot wait to see what comes after this story.
BookCupid
Nov 11, 2014 BookCupid rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic
Jane likes Damon. The problem is her art project (P.L.A.I.N) landed him in community service, and now he keeps rebuffing her attempts to get close again. First, by going around with another girl, then by declining her invitation to a school dance because he'd rather go with a friend. Should Jane move on?

There were too many characters, leaving the rest underdeveloped. Like a secret admirer that wasn't really addressed. Instead, we get Jane and her five friends moping around because they can't fin
Salsabrarian
Feb 04, 2016 Salsabrarian rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, school, graphic, novel, high, art
The Janes are at it again, creating art and beauty on the sly but they finally get caught and must do community service. But art cannot be contained and neither can love as several of the Janes seek boyfriends. The main Jane must also cope with her mother who's become reclusive after receiving bad news; an art grant application process; and balancing the attentions of Riswan and Damon. The main Jane is wrought with much angst, enough to make me say "snap out of it!" But she is a teenager and ...more
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Completely in love with The Plain Janes, I thought this one was good but had difficulty comparing with the beautiful theme and emotional ache of the first book. One review mentioned that it seemed cluttered, and I guess I may agree, as I have difficulty remembering the details of the story while the first is still clear in my mind. It's still a good read, but definitely start with the first volume and keep your expectations in check.
Laura (booksnob)
Aug 03, 2015 Laura (booksnob) rated it it was amazing
I love the Janes and their passion for spreading art and making the world a beautiful place. Excellent graphic novel and just as good as the first book, The Plain Janes.
Will
Oct 06, 2016 Will rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this follow up to Plain Janes. It is a fun light hearted novel that follows a group of 5 Jan(m)es and their hijinks spreading public art in their suburb. Great messages about the ability of art to change and save humanity.
Paul Young
Sep 29, 2016 Paul Young rated it liked it
Fun, engaging book. I haven't read the first book and this was a little tough to get into since I was missing the backstory. But, the characters revealed themselves and I enjoyed the tale. Reasonably realistic characterizations and clean art.
Lawral
May 25, 2010 Lawral marked it as read-but-unowned
Shelves: ya
Again, this is a cute top story with some seriousness underneath. All the Janes are secretly pining after someone, and a girls-ask-the-guys dance prompts them to act on their feelings. Main Jane is crushing on Damon, but afraid to talk to him after his arrest for her art attack. Miroslaw (formerly John Doe) is awake, and he and Jane exchange letters and care packages. He inspires Jane to apply for an art grant to make the P.L.A.I.N. Janes legit. Meanwhile another attack in Metro City scares ...more
Holly Letson
In the continuation of The Plain Janes, a few things are finally tied up, and love seems to make everything a bit more confusing.
We do find out who MainJane's "Sleeping Prince" is. He's John Miroslav from Poland. Unfortunately, we find this out by her passing out when his letters are returned, and having her boy friend drive her back to Metro City without asking her parent's permission.
Luckily, the nurse in MC has his address in Poland, and gives it to Jane, even after the main nurse refuses
Jessica-Robyn
The P.L.A.I.N Janes feels a little bit too plain.

While I was reading Janes in Love the sequel to The Plain Janes my overall feeling was "shrug". This was a solid continuation of the previous story, set only days after the final events in the last graphic novel. But for me, this worked more against it then for it. It's just more of the same thing, and although I liked the last book and would recommend it to anyone who's interested, I don't see why this was made as a separate title.

I liked that t
In this sequel to The Plain Janes, which follows almost immediately on the action from the first graphic novel, Valentine's Day is approaching leading the Janes to focus on their relationships - or lack thereof. Main Jane's sort-of crush Damon is doing community service since he got caught at the New Year's art attack. Then, after all the Janes but Theater Jane get caught performing their next art attack, main Jane begins to question whether what they're doing is right if it gets everyone in tro ...more
Kathleen
Feb 16, 2016 Kathleen rated it really liked it
I'm not really sure why I read this. Possibly because it was a graphic novel and it was short and I was bored? Janes in Love is the sequel to The Plain Janes, in which I was somewhat disappointed.

This one is also okay? The ending makes far more sense and is far less abrupt than the first. In Janes in Love, the PLAIN Janes continue their guerrilla art campaign (which continues to be treated, weirdly, like a terrorist campaign) and get entangled with various dudes at school. I found the various l
Brittany
Oct 20, 2011 Brittany rated it it was amazing
The Janes are back at it. A bust at New Year's won't hold them back. They know that art saves, and their town needs saving. Of course, their hearts need saving too. They are all pining away for someone. Officer Sanchez is none to pleased about having more art "vandals"on the loose. When the Janes get shaken up though they know they have to change their approach. Maybe if they can get a grant the town will see them as "real" artists and start to appreciate the beauty all around them.

This was anot
Abby
Jun 06, 2008 Abby rated it liked it
Shelves: teen, comix
A decent follow-up to the first one, which I still think is probably the best Minx title so far. This one starts off a month or two after the events of the first volume. Valentine's Day is just around the corner, and all the Janes are talking about their love interests. Main Jane isn't sure if she wants to be in love -- art and friendship should be enough, right? As she puts it "making art is my love letter to the world." But she can't shake her feelings for Damon, a boy who took the fall for ...more
Liv
Feb 07, 2013 Liv rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone (especially females) who like creating things
Recommended to Liv by: May
Shelves: manga, ya, comics
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Karin Librarian for TeensReadToo.com

Problems are looming on the horizon, though. Valentine's Day is just around the corner, and everyone is looking for a sweetheart for the big dance and pulling their sneak art attacks are getting harder and harder with Officer Sanchez always on the lookout.

Jane still maintains correspondence with Miroslaw from the first book. Fro
Alexandria
A graphic novel about teen girls fighting the establishment, cultural expectations, and finding love in a way that doesn't let the boy's attention become their only focus? SIGN ME UP.

I love the Plain Janes series, and strongly recommend it to anyone who likes graphic novels, is a female, likes females, or generally likes good writing.

In this installment of the series, the girls are back to their art-loving ways, and Main Jane finds herself falling for a local boy after her sleeping beauty wakes
Stephen
Aug 05, 2016 Stephen rated it it was ok
The little spark of magic that you witnessed in the first Janes book is gone. The first one dealt with some genuinely good kids who just wanted to make their town a little more interesting, so they formed a 'gang' of artists who did artsy things. (The one real flaw in the first book was that these independent young women let a young man take the rap for their crimes).

This time around...sheesh...uh...it was kinda like Sex and the City 2, or the sequel to Romancing the Stone, or the sequel to Bas
randy
Jun 11, 2008 randy rated it liked it
I got this over the weekend and was really excited when I saw it. I had no business really liking the the 1st book, other than it being a good story with believable characters, but i enjoyed it a lot.

This one seemed rushed in a way The Plain Janes was not. Maybe there was just too much going on for the limits of a minx book. From hearing her talk, I know Cecil Castellucci wants this to be a 4 book series, but maybe 5 books would have been better.

Main Jane is still the most developed character an
Julia
Sep 21, 2014 Julia rated it it was ok
(side note: why does the cover of the online ed have Jane w/ blue hair, but my physical book have Jane w/ red hair?)
I was really disappointing by this book. I read the 1st one a long time ago and really liked it. Al the characters were cool and the plot was interesting.
This book is weird. There were scenes I really didn't understand (like when Jayne made the pheromones) and many scenes with diologue, but no interaction; all the characters said some thing about the topic, but they didn't really
Karin
Oct 18, 2008 Karin rated it really liked it
In this second installment of the PLAIN JANES series, the gang is looking for new ways to spread art around the community. Problems are looming on the horizon though. Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and everyone is looking for a sweetheart for the big dance and pulling their sneak art attacks are getting harder and harder with Officer Sanchez always on the look out.

Jane still maintains correspondence with Miroslaw from the first book. From one of the letters Jane gets from him, she ge
Angie
Jan 10, 2014 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Synopsis: "The second volume of the critically acclaimed series finds a group of high school girls each named Jane, who are anything but ordinary, playing cupid. Plus P.L.A.I.N. (People Loving Art In Neighborhoods) goes global once the girl gang procures a spot in Metro City Museum of Modern Art contest."

My Review: I love this series and the message within it, and this second volume definitely kept up to par with the first. I really enjoy the difference between the Janes and how even with that d
jess
Feb 21, 2009 jess rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009, graphic-novels
I love the Minx titles, and I loved P.L.A.I.N. Janes. Art terrorism by teen girls in suburbia as a method of bonding and healing? SIGN ME UP. Janes in Love, however, is the nearly lackluster sequel to the PLAIN Janes set around Valentine's Day, built around the romances of the Janes, with most of the neighborhood-art-loving focus on a single, grant-funded, city-sanctioned artpark. So much of what I loved about the PLAIN Janes is completely gone. I still gave it a few stars because there were ...more
Mark
Mar 17, 2009 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good entry from Cciel Castellucci, but I really didn't enjoy it as much as the first. Maybe that's just me, but something got lost between books 1 and 2; this is not to say that Janes in Love is not good, or is not a fantastic example of what is possible when an author writes a graphic novel with female leads, without clearly angling for female readers. It is a good novel, just not great. The story picks up soon after The Plain Janes ends, with Jane and her friends spreading art around ...more
Nov 24, 2009 Laura rated it it was ok
I'm not really sure why I even read this book because I totally did not care for the first one. I guess I thought this story might pick up where the other one left off and offer some more closure. Well, this story was even worse than the first one and I found myself not caring for any of the characters or their "plights" of love. The illustrations were okay, but I was annoyed with how stereotypical the characters were. The ending was lame and I wondered why I had wasted my time. I would not ...more
Li
Mar 20, 2013 Li rated it really liked it
Not as good as The Plain Janes but still very good.
I love Cecil's writing.
In such a time condensed format we really see what's going on with Jane and follow along on her journey.

I love that Cecil doesn't talk down to the audience and presents people in all their brokenness and wonderfulness (ok, may not be a word, but you know what I'm saying...)

The artwork is great, again. Cecil and Jim make a great team.

I only wish there were more in this series.

Great graphic novel!
Lady Knight
While I enjoyed this one, the first was definitely better. I really have to credit Castellucci for, while there is certainly a happy ending, not everything turns out exactly like one would assume from the beginning of the graphic novel.

The characters are all pretty much the same... not a lot of growth here, but Jane's parents are highlighted much more than the previous volume and play a more key role.

Overall a decent read that should please fans of the first one. You do need to read The Plain Ja
Steve
Aug 05, 2011 Steve rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
This book kinda just starts. It doesn't make any concessions to the fact that over a year has passed since the release of the first book and we might have forgotten who the characters are and what situations they're in. It's very clear to me that both it and its predecessor were ONE YA book that got "adapted" into a graphic novel by the writer handing the artist a manuscript for a book and letting him do his thing. That's why what makes this book work is Jim Rugg's great art. Read together, both ...more
  • Emiko Superstar
  • Re-Gifters
  • Good as Lily
  • Token
  • Kimmie66
  • The New York Four
  • Breaking Up (Fashion High Graphic Novel)
  • Burnout
  • Americus
  • Garage Band
  • Will & Whit
  • Life Sucks
  • Runaways, Vol. 4: True Believers (Runaways, #4)
  • Water Baby
Cecil Castellucci is an author of young adult novels and comic books. Titles include Boy Proof, The Year of the Beasts (illustrated by Nate Powell), First Day on Earth, Rose Sees Red, Beige, The Queen of Cool The Plain Janes and Janes in Love (illustrated by Jim Rugg), Tin Star Stone in the Sky, Odd Duck (illustrated by Sara Varon) and Star Wars: Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure.

Her short
More about Cecil Castellucci...

Janes (2 books)
  • The Plain Janes (Janes, #1)