Janes in Love (Janes #2)

Janes in Love (Janes #2)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  1,285 ratings  ·  159 reviews
In this sequel to "The Plain Janes," the Janes are back. But when the Janes become entangled in matters of the heart, they discover that in art and in love, the rules don't always apply. Young adult.
Published September 23rd 2008 by Minx

Colleen Venable
The first PLAIN JANES book was in my top three books I read in 2007 and Cecil Castellucci is AWESOME in general. (I'm a huge fan of her BEIGE). This book definitely wasn't as magical as the first. Then again maybe it's just that I hate sequels AND books with flowers or pink on the cover. (Luckily there wasn't any glitter involved. Phew!) I also love ambiguous endings, so I didn't feel a sequel was needed at all, though I know many folks were begging for it. One of the reasons I loved the first b...more
Stephen
The little spark of magic that you witnessed in the first Janes book is gone. The first one dealt with some genuinely good kids who just wanted to make their town a little more interesting, so they formed a 'gang' of artists who did artsy things. (The one real flaw in the first book was that these independent young women let a young man take the rap for their crimes).

This time around...sheesh...uh...it was kinda like Sex and the City 2, or the sequel to Romancing the Stone, or the sequel to Bas...more
Liv
Feb 07, 2013 Liv rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone (especially females) who like creating things
Recommended to Liv by: May
Shelves: comics, manga, ya
Brittany
The Janes are back at it. A bust at New Year's won't hold them back. They know that art saves, and their town needs saving. Of course, their hearts need saving too. They are all pining away for someone. Officer Sanchez is none to pleased about having more art "vandals"on the loose. When the Janes get shaken up though they know they have to change their approach. Maybe if they can get a grant the town will see them as "real" artists and start to appreciate the beauty all around them.

This was anot...more
Holly Letson
In the continuation of The Plain Janes, a few things are finally tied up, and love seems to make everything a bit more confusing.
We do find out who MainJane's "Sleeping Prince" is. He's John Miroslav from Poland. Unfortunately, we find this out by her passing out when his letters are returned, and having her boy friend drive her back to Metro City without asking her parent's permission.
Luckily, the nurse in MC has his address in Poland, and gives it to Jane, even after the main nurse refuses...more
Jessica-Robyn
The P.L.A.I.N Janes feels a little bit too plain.

While I was reading Janes in Love the sequel to The Plain Janes my overall feeling was "shrug". This was a solid continuation of the previous story, set only days after the final events in the last graphic novel. But for me, this worked more against it then for it. It's just more of the same thing, and although I liked the last book and would recommend it to anyone who's interested, I don't see why this was made as a separate title.

I liked that t...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Karin Librarian for TeensReadToo.com

Problems are looming on the horizon, though. Valentine's Day is just around the corner, and everyone is looking for a sweetheart for the big dance and pulling their sneak art attacks are getting harder and harder with Officer Sanchez always on the lookout.

Abby
Jun 06, 2008 Abby rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: teen, comix
A decent follow-up to the first one, which I still think is probably the best Minx title so far. This one starts off a month or two after the events of the first volume. Valentine's Day is just around the corner, and all the Janes are talking about their love interests. Main Jane isn't sure if she wants to be in love -- art and friendship should be enough, right? As she puts it "making art is my love letter to the world." But she can't shake her feelings for Damon, a boy who took the fall for P....more
In this sequel to The Plain Janes, which follows almost immediately on the action from the first graphic novel, Valentine's Day is approaching leading the Janes to focus on their relationships - or lack thereof. Main Jane's sort-of crush Damon is doing community service since he got caught at the New Year's art attack. Then, after all the Janes but Theater Jane get caught performing their next art attack, main Jane begins to question whether what they're doing is right if it gets everyone in tro...more
Lawral
May 25, 2010 Lawral marked it as read-but-unowned
Shelves: ya
Again, this is a cute top story with some seriousness underneath. All the Janes are secretly pining after someone, and a girls-ask-the-guys dance prompts them to act on their feelings. Main Jane is crushing on Damon, but afraid to talk to him after his arrest for her art attack. Miroslaw (formerly John Doe) is awake, and he and Jane exchange letters and care packages. He inspires Jane to apply for an art grant to make the P.L.A.I.N. Janes legit. Meanwhile another attack in Metro City scares Jane...more
Karin
In this second installment of the PLAIN JANES series, the gang is looking for new ways to spread art around the community. Problems are looming on the horizon though. Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and everyone is looking for a sweetheart for the big dance and pulling their sneak art attacks are getting harder and harder with Officer Sanchez always on the look out.

Jane still maintains correspondence with Miroslaw from the first book. From one of the letters Jane gets from him, she ge...more
randy
I got this over the weekend and was really excited when I saw it. I had no business really liking the the 1st book, other than it being a good story with believable characters, but i enjoyed it a lot.

This one seemed rushed in a way The Plain Janes was not. Maybe there was just too much going on for the limits of a minx book. From hearing her talk, I know Cecil Castellucci wants this to be a 4 book series, but maybe 5 books would have been better.

Main Jane is still the most developed character an...more
Angie
Synopsis: "The second volume of the critically acclaimed series finds a group of high school girls each named Jane, who are anything but ordinary, playing cupid. Plus P.L.A.I.N. (People Loving Art In Neighborhoods) goes global once the girl gang procures a spot in Metro City Museum of Modern Art contest."

My Review: I love this series and the message within it, and this second volume definitely kept up to par with the first. I really enjoy the difference between the Janes and how even with that d...more
Mark
Another good entry from Cciel Castellucci, but I really didn't enjoy it as much as the first. Maybe that's just me, but something got lost between books 1 and 2; this is not to say that Janes in Love is not good, or is not a fantastic example of what is possible when an author writes a graphic novel with female leads, without clearly angling for female readers. It is a good novel, just not great. The story picks up soon after The Plain Janes ends, with Jane and her friends spreading art around t...more
jess
I love the Minx titles, and I loved P.L.A.I.N. Janes. Art terrorism by teen girls in suburbia as a method of bonding and healing? SIGN ME UP. Janes in Love, however, is the nearly lackluster sequel to the PLAIN Janes set around Valentine's Day, built around the romances of the Janes, with most of the neighborhood-art-loving focus on a single, grant-funded, city-sanctioned artpark. So much of what I loved about the PLAIN Janes is completely gone. I still gave it a few stars because there were som...more
Lady Knight
While I enjoyed this one, the first was definitely better. I really have to credit Castellucci for, while there is certainly a happy ending, not everything turns out exactly like one would assume from the beginning of the graphic novel.

The characters are all pretty much the same... not a lot of growth here, but Jane's parents are highlighted much more than the previous volume and play a more key role.

Overall a decent read that should please fans of the first one. You do need to read The Plain Ja...more
Steve
This book kinda just starts. It doesn't make any concessions to the fact that over a year has passed since the release of the first book and we might have forgotten who the characters are and what situations they're in. It's very clear to me that both it and its predecessor were ONE YA book that got "adapted" into a graphic novel by the writer handing the artist a manuscript for a book and letting him do his thing. That's why what makes this book work is Jim Rugg's great art. Read together, both...more
Snorkle
I'm not really sure why I even read this book because I totally did not care for the first one. I guess I thought this story might pick up where the other one left off and offer some more closure. Well, this story was even worse than the first one and I found myself not caring for any of the characters or their "plights" of love. The illustrations were okay, but I was annoyed with how stereotypical the characters were. The ending was lame and I wondered why I had wasted my time. I would not reco...more
Daisy
Pretty appealing. And clever.

You want to know what my PROBLEM is? The world sucks and it's killing my mom. I am trying to do something that's worthwhile by making art to make the world BEAUTIFUL but when I do that everyone gets in trouble, or stops talking to me, like you did, and the boy I like stops liking me, so I apply for a grant to use a public space and be all legit and I get the grant but now I have to figure out how to ask the town if I can use a public space AND I'm grounded till I'm...more
Tracey
Jan 05, 2009 Tracey rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: teen
Teen graphic novel. I get the feeling the first one was better. I wasn't entirely lost without having read The Plain Janes, but it was distracting to have to figure out who everyone was and why they were friends, and what might have happened to traumatize the main character so. The other thing that makes me think the first one might have been better is that all the characters in this book seem to spend the entire time whining about their lack of love-lives (yes I know it's a teen book and that's...more
Li
Not as good as The Plain Janes but still very good.
I love Cecil's writing.
In such a time condensed format we really see what's going on with Jane and follow along on her journey.

I love that Cecil doesn't talk down to the audience and presents people in all their brokenness and wonderfulness (ok, may not be a word, but you know what I'm saying...)

The artwork is great, again. Cecil and Jim make a great team.

I only wish there were more in this series.

Great graphic novel!
Mellissa
Says it's book 2...but nothing since 2008. I'd love to keep reading. What a great little series.
Sharon
A direct continuation of the first one, and it ties up the story nicely. The romance part is a bit on the high school side, and the end is pretty pat, but I do love how many of the characters have added depth--Cindy, who is a popular snob but doesn't let that stop her seeing and doing things that matter. Theater Jane, who is a hard person to be friends with and to like, but worth it. Those complexities really make this story for me.
Rebecca
I didn't like this one as much as the first one--just didn't seem to have the same punch, and I sometimes got confused about what was going on. With two characters and their love lives, I was completely at sea--I didn't remember one character from the first book so I feel as though I never understood her story (or even got her name, if it wasn't another Jane), and the other one had a crush on someone she'd never met for some unexplained reason, so it was really hard to feel anything for that sto...more
Cathy
Whew. Had a moment of panic thinking book 2 was all lovey-dovey, but got to more weighty issues and still centered on art/creation.

A handful of inventive art ideas (painting a neighborhood fence with chalk paint & providing chalk to write love notes) and continued exploration of fear/terror, reaching out, along with a few new threads (grants, potential lesbianism, pressure & stress).

Ends with the hint that more is on the way, and don't know as how the storyline will pan out, but am goin...more
Erica
The Janes are back -- still struggling with all of the issues of being a teen along with fighting for the right to create art in public places. The leader of the PLAIN Janes submits a grant to an arts organization to create the group's biggest installation yet, while struggling with a mother paralyzed by fear, a cop that's out to shut down any fun teens get up to, and keeping an eye on the boy she likes.

This is an empowering read for young women -- it will make you wish you had a group of friend...more
Abbie
This was a cute sequel. I would have really liked to see some more development of each girls characters, but it was really nice, since most readers would be able to see a little of themselves in each of the janes. And I wish James would have found someone. That would have been nice. But I did enjoy it, not quite as much as the first though, it seemed like it floundered a little between the beginning and end, trying to make their continuing struggle seem new.
Raina
I REALLY like this series. A group of high school misfits (all named Jane), commit "art attacks" around their small town. They are lead by a mod-hipster who recently moved to town to get away from the memories of being part of a bombing in the big city. I love the interplay of high school drama, ripped-from-the-headlines, and art. And the illustration style is fun too!

Do read the first before going for this one, though (The Plain Janes).
Elizabeth
Feb 06, 2010 Elizabeth rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Courtney Toiaivao
I LOVE teen love. Not romance- though I am guilty of the occasional indulgence. True love, unrequited love, friend love, queer love, human love; Plain Janes and Janes in Love have it all! P.L.A.I.N. (People Loving Art In Neighborhoods) is so inspiring (I can't believe I just used that word) they remind me of the youthful enthusiasm to do good we all still have buried somewhere.Now I just need to go out and buy a roll of butcher paper...
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Completely in love with The Plain Janes, I thought this one was good but had difficulty comparing with the beautiful theme and emotional ache of the first book. One review mentioned that it seemed cluttered, and I guess I may agree, as I have difficulty remembering the details of the story while the first is still clear in my mind. It's still a good read, but definitely start with the first volume and keep your expectations in check.
  • Emiko Superstar
  • Good as Lily
  • Token
  • Re-Gifters
  • Breaking Up (Fashion High Graphic Novel)
  • Kimmie66
  • Chiggers
  • The New York Four
  • Burnout
  • Will & Whit
  • The War at Ellsmere
  • Refresh, Refresh
  • Life Sucks
  • Runaways, Vol. 4: True Believers (Runaways, #4)
  • Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong
  • Into The Volcano
  • Calamity Jack (Rapunzel's Revenge, #2)
  • Clubbing
Cecil Castellucci is an author of young adult novels and comic books, most notably Boy Proof and The PLAIN Janes. Upcoming in 2014 is book one of her new sci duology TIN STAR.

She is also the author of The Year of the Beasts, First Day on Earth, Rose Sees Red, Beige, The Queen of Cool and Janes in Love. Her short stories can be found in various anthologies such as After, Teeth, Truth & Dare, Th...more
More about Cecil Castellucci...
The Plain Janes (Janes #1) Boy Proof Beige Odd Duck The Queen of Cool