Start by marking “Janes in Love (Janes, #2)” as Want to Read:
Janes in Love (Janes, #2)

Janes in Love (Janes #2)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  1,354 ratings  ·  163 reviews
In this sequel to The Plain Janes, the Janes are back. But when the Janes become entangled in matters of the heart, they discover that in art and in love, the rules don't always apply. Young adult.
Published September 23rd 2008 by Minx

To ask other readers questions about Janes in Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Janes in Love

Colleen Venable
The first PLAIN JANES book was in my top three books I read in 2007 and Cecil Castellucci is AWESOME in general. (I'm a huge fan of her BEIGE). This book definitely wasn't as magical as the first. Then again maybe it's just that I hate sequels AND books with flowers or pink on the cover. (Luckily there wasn't any glitter involved. Phew!) I also love ambiguous endings, so I didn't feel a sequel was needed at all, though I know many folks were begging for it. One of the reasons I loved the first b...more
Stephen
The little spark of magic that you witnessed in the first Janes book is gone. The first one dealt with some genuinely good kids who just wanted to make their town a little more interesting, so they formed a 'gang' of artists who did artsy things. (The one real flaw in the first book was that these independent young women let a young man take the rap for their crimes).

This time around...sheesh...uh...it was kinda like Sex and the City 2, or the sequel to Romancing the Stone, or the sequel to Bas...more
Julia
(side note: why does the cover of the online ed have Jane w/ blue hair, but my physical book have Jane w/ red hair?)
I was really disappointing by this book. I read the 1st one a long time ago and really liked it. Al the characters were cool and the plot was interesting.
This book is weird. There were scenes I really didn't understand (like when Jayne made the pheromones) and many scenes with diologue, but no interaction; all the characters said some thing about the topic, but they didn't really...more
Liv
Feb 07, 2013 Liv rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone (especially females) who like creating things
Recommended to Liv by: May
Shelves: comics, manga, ya
Brittany
The Janes are back at it. A bust at New Year's won't hold them back. They know that art saves, and their town needs saving. Of course, their hearts need saving too. They are all pining away for someone. Officer Sanchez is none to pleased about having more art "vandals"on the loose. When the Janes get shaken up though they know they have to change their approach. Maybe if they can get a grant the town will see them as "real" artists and start to appreciate the beauty all around them.

This was anot...more
Holly Letson
In the continuation of The Plain Janes, a few things are finally tied up, and love seems to make everything a bit more confusing.
We do find out who MainJane's "Sleeping Prince" is. He's John Miroslav from Poland. Unfortunately, we find this out by her passing out when his letters are returned, and having her boy friend drive her back to Metro City without asking her parent's permission.
Luckily, the nurse in MC has his address in Poland, and gives it to Jane, even after the main nurse refuses...more
Jessica-Robyn
The P.L.A.I.N Janes feels a little bit too plain.

While I was reading Janes in Love the sequel to The Plain Janes my overall feeling was "shrug". This was a solid continuation of the previous story, set only days after the final events in the last graphic novel. But for me, this worked more against it then for it. It's just more of the same thing, and although I liked the last book and would recommend it to anyone who's interested, I don't see why this was made as a separate title.

I liked that t...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Karin Librarian for TeensReadToo.com

Problems are looming on the horizon, though. Valentine's Day is just around the corner, and everyone is looking for a sweetheart for the big dance and pulling their sneak art attacks are getting harder and harder with Officer Sanchez always on the lookout.

Abby
Jun 06, 2008 Abby rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: teen, comix
A decent follow-up to the first one, which I still think is probably the best Minx title so far. This one starts off a month or two after the events of the first volume. Valentine's Day is just around the corner, and all the Janes are talking about their love interests. Main Jane isn't sure if she wants to be in love -- art and friendship should be enough, right? As she puts it "making art is my love letter to the world." But she can't shake her feelings for Damon, a boy who took the fall for P....more
In this sequel to The Plain Janes, which follows almost immediately on the action from the first graphic novel, Valentine's Day is approaching leading the Janes to focus on their relationships - or lack thereof. Main Jane's sort-of crush Damon is doing community service since he got caught at the New Year's art attack. Then, after all the Janes but Theater Jane get caught performing their next art attack, main Jane begins to question whether what they're doing is right if it gets everyone in tro...more
Lawral
May 25, 2010 Lawral marked it as read-but-unowned
Shelves: ya
Again, this is a cute top story with some seriousness underneath. All the Janes are secretly pining after someone, and a girls-ask-the-guys dance prompts them to act on their feelings. Main Jane is crushing on Damon, but afraid to talk to him after his arrest for her art attack. Miroslaw (formerly John Doe) is awake, and he and Jane exchange letters and care packages. He inspires Jane to apply for an art grant to make the P.L.A.I.N. Janes legit. Meanwhile another attack in Metro City scares Jane...more
Karin
In this second installment of the PLAIN JANES series, the gang is looking for new ways to spread art around the community. Problems are looming on the horizon though. Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and everyone is looking for a sweetheart for the big dance and pulling their sneak art attacks are getting harder and harder with Officer Sanchez always on the look out.

Jane still maintains correspondence with Miroslaw from the first book. From one of the letters Jane gets from him, she ge...more
randy
I got this over the weekend and was really excited when I saw it. I had no business really liking the the 1st book, other than it being a good story with believable characters, but i enjoyed it a lot.

This one seemed rushed in a way The Plain Janes was not. Maybe there was just too much going on for the limits of a minx book. From hearing her talk, I know Cecil Castellucci wants this to be a 4 book series, but maybe 5 books would have been better.

Main Jane is still the most developed character an...more
Angie
Synopsis: "The second volume of the critically acclaimed series finds a group of high school girls each named Jane, who are anything but ordinary, playing cupid. Plus P.L.A.I.N. (People Loving Art In Neighborhoods) goes global once the girl gang procures a spot in Metro City Museum of Modern Art contest."

My Review: I love this series and the message within it, and this second volume definitely kept up to par with the first. I really enjoy the difference between the Janes and how even with that d...more
Mark
Another good entry from Cciel Castellucci, but I really didn't enjoy it as much as the first. Maybe that's just me, but something got lost between books 1 and 2; this is not to say that Janes in Love is not good, or is not a fantastic example of what is possible when an author writes a graphic novel with female leads, without clearly angling for female readers. It is a good novel, just not great. The story picks up soon after The Plain Janes ends, with Jane and her friends spreading art around t...more
jess
I love the Minx titles, and I loved P.L.A.I.N. Janes. Art terrorism by teen girls in suburbia as a method of bonding and healing? SIGN ME UP. Janes in Love, however, is the nearly lackluster sequel to the PLAIN Janes set around Valentine's Day, built around the romances of the Janes, with most of the neighborhood-art-loving focus on a single, grant-funded, city-sanctioned artpark. So much of what I loved about the PLAIN Janes is completely gone. I still gave it a few stars because there were som...more
Lauren Candia
I just loved these "Janes" books. So cute and had great messages about art and its ability to change entire neighborhoods. I also love the diversity shown in the panels. A standout graphic novel series.
Heydi Smith
I didn't feel this novel had the impact that the first novel The Plain Janes had. But it was nice to see the development of the characters and the story. I thought a few of the characters repeated themselves way to much and it seemed like no one even listened, that was annoying but then that is life, at least in my experience.

All in all I enjoyed it but think it's appeal is limited to fans of the first book.
Lady Knight
While I enjoyed this one, the first was definitely better. I really have to credit Castellucci for, while there is certainly a happy ending, not everything turns out exactly like one would assume from the beginning of the graphic novel.

The characters are all pretty much the same... not a lot of growth here, but Jane's parents are highlighted much more than the previous volume and play a more key role.

Overall a decent read that should please fans of the first one. You do need to read The Plain Ja...more
Lindsay
I think I like this even better than the first (though that weird pheromone scene was out of place). It delved more deeply into various issues--art, love, friendship, and mental illness.
Steve
This book kinda just starts. It doesn't make any concessions to the fact that over a year has passed since the release of the first book and we might have forgotten who the characters are and what situations they're in. It's very clear to me that both it and its predecessor were ONE YA book that got "adapted" into a graphic novel by the writer handing the artist a manuscript for a book and letting him do his thing. That's why what makes this book work is Jim Rugg's great art. Read together, both...more
Snorkle
I'm not really sure why I even read this book because I totally did not care for the first one. I guess I thought this story might pick up where the other one left off and offer some more closure. Well, this story was even worse than the first one and I found myself not caring for any of the characters or their "plights" of love. The illustrations were okay, but I was annoyed with how stereotypical the characters were. The ending was lame and I wondered why I had wasted my time. I would not reco...more
Daisy
Pretty appealing. And clever.

You want to know what my PROBLEM is? The world sucks and it's killing my mom. I am trying to do something that's worthwhile by making art to make the world BEAUTIFUL but when I do that everyone gets in trouble, or stops talking to me, like you did, and the boy I like stops liking me, so I apply for a grant to use a public space and be all legit and I get the grant but now I have to figure out how to ask the town if I can use a public space AND I'm grounded till I'm...more
Tracey
Jan 05, 2009 Tracey rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: teen
Teen graphic novel. I get the feeling the first one was better. I wasn't entirely lost without having read The Plain Janes, but it was distracting to have to figure out who everyone was and why they were friends, and what might have happened to traumatize the main character so. The other thing that makes me think the first one might have been better is that all the characters in this book seem to spend the entire time whining about their lack of love-lives (yes I know it's a teen book and that's...more
Li
Not as good as The Plain Janes but still very good.
I love Cecil's writing.
In such a time condensed format we really see what's going on with Jane and follow along on her journey.

I love that Cecil doesn't talk down to the audience and presents people in all their brokenness and wonderfulness (ok, may not be a word, but you know what I'm saying...)

The artwork is great, again. Cecil and Jim make a great team.

I only wish there were more in this series.

Great graphic novel!
Mellissa
Says it's book 2...but nothing since 2008. I'd love to keep reading. What a great little series.
Sharon
A direct continuation of the first one, and it ties up the story nicely. The romance part is a bit on the high school side, and the end is pretty pat, but I do love how many of the characters have added depth--Cindy, who is a popular snob but doesn't let that stop her seeing and doing things that matter. Theater Jane, who is a hard person to be friends with and to like, but worth it. Those complexities really make this story for me.
Rebecca
I didn't like this one as much as the first one--just didn't seem to have the same punch, and I sometimes got confused about what was going on. With two characters and their love lives, I was completely at sea--I didn't remember one character from the first book so I feel as though I never understood her story (or even got her name, if it wasn't another Jane), and the other one had a crush on someone she'd never met for some unexplained reason, so it was really hard to feel anything for that sto...more
Cathy
Whew. Had a moment of panic thinking book 2 was all lovey-dovey, but got to more weighty issues and still centered on art/creation.

A handful of inventive art ideas (painting a neighborhood fence with chalk paint & providing chalk to write love notes) and continued exploration of fear/terror, reaching out, along with a few new threads (grants, potential lesbianism, pressure & stress).

Ends with the hint that more is on the way, and don't know as how the storyline will pan out, but am goin...more
Erica
The Janes are back -- still struggling with all of the issues of being a teen along with fighting for the right to create art in public places. The leader of the PLAIN Janes submits a grant to an arts organization to create the group's biggest installation yet, while struggling with a mother paralyzed by fear, a cop that's out to shut down any fun teens get up to, and keeping an eye on the boy she likes.

This is an empowering read for young women -- it will make you wish you had a group of friend...more
  • Emiko Superstar
  • Good as Lily
  • Token
  • Re-Gifters
  • Breaking Up (Fashion High Graphic Novel)
  • Kimmie66
  • Chiggers
  • The New York Four
  • Burnout
  • Will & Whit
  • The War at Ellsmere
  • Refresh, Refresh
  • Life Sucks
  • Runaways, Vol. 4: True Believers (Runaways, #4)
  • Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong
  • Into The Volcano
  • Calamity Jack (Rapunzel's Revenge, #2)
  • Clubbing
Cecil Castellucci is an author of young adult novels and comic books. Titles include Boy Proof, The Year of the Beasts (illustrated by Nate Powell), First Day on Earth, Rose Sees Red, Beige, The Queen of Cool The Plain Janes and Janes in Love (illustrated by Jim Rugg), Tin Star and Odd Duck (illustrated by Sara Varon).

Her short stories have been published in various places including Black Clock,...more
More about Cecil Castellucci...
The Plain Janes (Janes, #1) Boy Proof Odd Duck Beige The Year of the Beasts