Start by marking “Floaters” as Want to Read:
Floaters

Floaters

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  445 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Who else but Joseph Wambaugh could write "a joy, a hoot, a riot of a book" that is also acclaimed as "one of this season's best crime novels"? That's how
The New York Times Book Review and Time, respectively, described his last novel, Finnegan's Week. Nobody writes a faster, funnier, more satisfying tale of cops and criminals, the high life and lowlifes that Wambaugh--and F
Published March 3rd 1997 by Bantam (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Floaters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Floaters

Eric_W
Fortney and Leeds are two harbor patrol cops in San Diego. Blaze is a hooker enlisted by Ambrose, the Keeper of the Cup, to engage in a scheme to thwart the New Zealanders likely win of the America Cup. It’s a complicated plan involving making one crane operator sick so another can arrange for the boat with it’s slick design to fall as it’s being lifted into the water. Dawn is another hooker who happens to know Blaze and arranges to leave town before she can be murdered by her pimp. Then there a ...more
Tcpils
It's been over 20 years since I've read anything by Wambaugh. I don't know why. The Choirboys was outstanding and The Onion Field was excellent. Guess I just kind of lost touch. So, on a trip to the thrift store to stock up on a cache of summer reading material I added Floaters to my basket. Glad I did. Wambaugh hasn't lost his touch.
He can still create believable characters and an interesting storyline. The plot moves along at a good clip and had me guessing what's going to happen next.
I'll tr
Lynn Pribus
Read some nice reviews of this and have enjoyed him before, but just overwhelming vulgarity in the first part completely turned me off. If I want to read a documentary of a prostitute's life, I can.

Other writers deal with prostitutes and I don't have trouble with that.

Oh, well. I have a couple books waiting at the library and I'm finally down to number one on the list for a couple others. (And 82 out of 136 for Grisham's new one.)
Pat Murphy
I liked all the Wambaugh books.
Terry Zamzow
Humorous but serious book.
Chris
Vintage Wambaugh, lots of politically incorrect humor, wise-guy dialogue, cops, prostitutes and a general assortment of characters involved in unsavory activities. The background of competitive sailing added an unusual element. I thought it was pretty entertaining, but should be avoided by those who don't want to read about people involved in drugs, purchased sex and who are otherwise behaving badly.
Jan 30, 2013 Jennifer rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jennifer by: jennsicurella@verizon.net
Shelves: mystery
Why read: Recommended by my uncle

What impressed me: I really liked the story itself. The premise of harbor detectives, the sailing world, and the tone of the dialogue. The mystery was well done and surprising too.

What disappointed me: A little too "hard-boiled" for my taste. Got that rough, tough guy feel that always alienates me from being able to connect with the detectives in this type of mystery.

Recommended: Not especially. I like my detectives more endearing.
Lorrie
Not one of Mr. Wambaugh's best books.
Amy
Abandoned. Just wasn't worth my time.
Denise
I think I identify with Blaze Duvall (the outcall "masseuse") a little too much. It was a fun, quick read. Nothing spectacular, but it kept me interested throughout the book.
Jtp
Good read - if you like this author, you'll like this book.

Characters are believeable and Wambaugh brings them to life. Plot was fair.
Jerry Richter
Good read. Wambaugh does it again; a little police a little humor.
I actually started it on 4 August but couldn't find the edit button. :>)
Robin
I thought I'd like it better because it is sort of about sailing. It was just ok. It was more of a typical murder mystery.
Fitsum Habtemariam
i read this book in 2005 in prison ,and i will never forget it,the best book i have ever read in the last 7 years.
Patrick Gibson
great read about vice cops in the San Diego police department investigating the murder of two prostitutes.
Marti
interesting mystery. who know sailing could be so interesting?
Dave
He is always fun, it is very entertaining, but it is not his best.
Michelle
I would retitle this book as "Floaters: Hard-Boiled-Fluffy-Crap."
Larry
A little dated, but your typical entertaining Wambaugh read.
Joe Faust
Another winner from the ex-cop.
John
boat people are boring to read about.
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Cheryl Johnson
Cheryl Johnson marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
  • Fatal Frost (Detective Jack Frost Prequel, #2)
  • Night Frost (Inspector Frost, #3)
  • Bahama Crisis
  • McNally's Gamble
  • The Wood Beyond (Dalziel & Pascoe, #15)
  • Sideswipe: A Hoke Moseley Novel
  • Riding The Snake
  • Boulevard (Hayden Glass, #1)
  • Game, Set, Match, (Bernard Samson, #1-3)
  • Captain Saturday
  • The Shadow Box
  • Learning to Kill
  • Mad Mouse (John Ceepak Mystery, #2)
  • No Man's Land
  • The Clockwork Teddy: A Bear Collector's Mystery
  • Miss Emmaline and the Archangel (Conard County, #3)
  • The Stranger in the Shadows (Nancy Drew, #103)
  • Education of the Senses: The Bourgeois Experience: Victoria to Freud
Joseph Wambaugh, a former LAPD detective sergeant (1960-1974), is the bestselling author of twenty-one prior works of fiction and nonfiction, including The Choirboys and The Onion Field. Wambaugh joined the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) in 1960. He served 14 years, rising to detective sergeant. He also attended California State University, Los Angeles, where he earned Bachelor of Arts and M ...more
More about Joseph Wambaugh...
The Onion Field The Choirboys The New Centurions Hollywood Station (Hollywood Station, #1) The Blue Knight