Start by marking “Plague 99” as Want to Read:
Plague 99

Plague 99 (Plague 99 #1)

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  244 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Three teenagers attempt to survive on their own when a devastating plague sweeps London.
paperback
Published 1991 (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Plague 99, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plague 99

karen

i don't know if this just happened to have been written before the australian renaissance of really stellar YA lit, or if this is just a fluke, but this book contains one of the most annoying characters i have read in my life. and i have read The Adolescent. i had to skim whenever she was on the page, because it was altogether too frustrating.

(AND I HAVE JUST LEARNED THAT THE AUTHOR IS NOT, IN FACT, AUSTRALIAN, SO ALL BETS ARE OFF, BUT INSTEAD OF CHANGING THAT SENTENCE, I AM LETTING IT STAND SO
Yvonne
Nov 12, 2011 Yvonne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I originally read this novel when I was a teenager, and the scene where Fran unknowingly returns to a plague-ridden London after a remote camping trip has stayed with me for years. Having lost my copy years ago I tracked down another on ebay recently and re-read it. I was surprised at to how eerie the story and setup still was. Even though it is aimed at a YA audience, Jean Ure does not shy away from dealing with certain realities, and the fear and loneliness felt by the characters is borne by t ...more
Hrimcealde
Feb 27, 2008 Hrimcealde rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of post-apocalyptic fiction, fans of plague fiction, fans of British YA fiction
Jean Ure's book Plague, orginially published in England as Plague 99, had your basic end-o-the-world premise. As best I can tell, there really are only three: War, Plague, and Natural Disaster. This is, obviously, the second.

Fran, shy, timid, anti-social teenager, and her best friend Harriet ("Harry") plan to go on a month long excursion into the wilderness--a "Stone-Age" camp" cut off from all civilization--but at the last minute Harry breaks her wrist and Fran, who was depending on the gregar
chucklesthescot
Fran returns from camp to discover that London has fallen victim to a plague and has been fenced off. She breaks in and goes in search of her family and friends. Her best friend Harry is alive but seemingly unhinged by her experience and they meet schoolfriend Shahid who wants to get to the safety of his brother's house on the edge of the plague zone where people are still alive. This is the story of their journey.

I did give this 3 stars because the book was well written and I liked the story. I
Kaethe
Well, of course I like the idea: teens go off for a month of wilderness living, come back to discover devastation from a plague. As is too often the case in fiction, the plague is highly contagious, very deadly, and very fast. It wasn't bad, it just didn't say anything new (to me). I expect it would be more popular with people who don't read every book they can find on the topic. Like the teens for whom it is written. I bet they'd really like it.
Linda
I found this book on the shelves in a classroom at school, old and tattered, but looked good. There are some parts that are interesting, the beginning when one of the main characters, Fran, returns from what sounds like an Outward Bound trip, and finds that those 'outside' London are being prevented from entering. She sneaks into her little town, finds many, including her parents, dead of some terrible plague. Teaming up with a friend, Harriet, and a classmate, Shahid, who have both endured the ...more
Andy Phillips
A plague kills the oldest inhabitants of the UK and works it way through the population, attacking younger and younger people. The book follows three teenagers from London and their attempts to adapt as civilisation breaks down. Unfortunately I didn't really like any of them and didn't really care what happened to them. In particular, some of the dialogue just sounds false.

It's not a terrible book by any means, but I didn't feel like a lot happens and it all feels a bit too safe. I can't help fe
Ellice
This may not be the pinnacle of literary art, but it was an enjoyable tale (for those who do enjoy this kind of tale, a la me) of how something as simple as a virulent, unstoppable virus can bring London, the UK, and the whole of the world to its knees, destroying civilization as we know it. It does get a little preachy in a couple of places about scheming governments and the foolish citizenry who vote for them and then abdicate responsibility for the consequnces, but those parts are easily skim ...more
Justyna
Apr 10, 2016 Justyna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopian-novels
I have read this years ago and still remember this book. it was awesom. it ended with cliffhanger and i never had a chance to read #2
Kaye
Fran is away on an extreme camping trip for a month, and when she comes back, she's found that the world has basically ended. London has shut down, and no one can get in or out. Television programming is intermittent, and only stocked with old movies. Radio reports are few and far between. Almost everyone she knew and loved is dead, and the sickness is far from over. The story was gripping, although a bit preachy in parts (conspiracy theories, etc.) and no answers really came out of this book. I ...more
D.S.
Aug 27, 2015 D.S. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this when I was in 8th grade (1999-2000) and it was one of my top 3 books that year!
Stephanie A.
One day, I will stop reading post-apocalypse-type novels about how everyone keels over from super-deadly illness and freaking myself out in the process. Today is not that day, as I'm thoroughly freaked out. Unfortunately, while that part was great, there was a disappointing lack of closure on several plot strands, and the novel itself felt half-finished when it ended.

(update: evidently there is a sequel? But a sequel that takes place 100 years later? so no dice on that whole half-finished/lack o
Phair
Read this when it came out in hard cover (1989 or '90). I had enjoyed her more romantic YA novel, See You Thursday. Seem to recall that I really liked Plague a lot (it's still in our library collection- I tend not to discard books I have read and would recommend even if they don't pass the 'date last circulated' test when we weed). I might be interesting to re-read and see how this stands the test of time.
Ellie
Apr 23, 2015 Ellie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a good little read.

Meant for a much younger audience than myself - but sometimes it's nice to have an easy read.

The plot was relatively interesting, and the ending was pretty decent.

Worth the 25p I paid from a charity shop. It will be going back to the carity shop for someone else to enjoy.
Kat
Dec 08, 2012 Kat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While the source of a devastating plague that wipes out London is never revealed, this tale of the attempted survival of three teenagers during a biological epidemic paints a picture of a possible human future.
Michelle
May 17, 2008 Michelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-youth
Modern-day plague hits London and three teens must figure out how to survive. It's bleak and chilling with Ure struggling to give the reader any hope through the eyes of Fran.
Adele
Sep 01, 2010 Adele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who loved or liked tomorrow when the war began
I read this when i was in high school. but i remember that i did enjoy it and i know it made me feel amazed as i wondered what would i do if i was in that situation.
Meg McGregor
May 05, 2012 Meg McGregor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopian
I don't know how to feel about this book! It is both haunting and uplifting. It is terrifying in the extreme but I just couldn't put it down!
Silverwolf
Mar 12, 2012 Silverwolf rated it it was ok
Ugghhhh... gave up on this one. It nearly made me sick, it was so descriptive. Maybe I'll try it again sometime. But not for a long while methinks.
Kam'ron
May 18, 2011 Kam'ron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an awesome book that I enjoyed and u will probably like it do a lot of u might like crazy sad and intense books
Christina
Feb 27, 2010 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is such a good book would you like to have the plague
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Yasmina Mina
Yasmina Mina marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Mrs Bakitch
Mrs Bakitch rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2016
Swift
Swift marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Laurie
Laurie rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
  • The Keepers of the Flame (Fire-us, #2)
  • The Long Winter
  • The Changes: A Trilogy
  • Fly Away
  • Somewhere I Have Never Travelled
  • The Last Canadian
  • Dark Advent
  • Star Split
  • Can You Sue Your Parents for Malpractice?
  • Anthonology
  • The Secret Under My Skin
  • The Kill Crew
  • Doll Parts
  • Falling Angels
Prolific English children and young adult author.

Had her first book published while still in high school, then studied theater at Webber-Douglas in London. Her most well-known work is the Point Crime novel Dance with Death. Others include Plague 99, After the Plague (previously "Come Lucky April"), Big Tom, Family Fan Club and Shrinking Violet, as well as the fantasy The Wizard In the Woods.

Today
More about Jean Ure...

Plague 99 (3 books)
  • After The Plague (Plague 99, #2)
  • Watchers at the Shrine (Plague 99, #3)

“Making love in a mask . . . a real turn-on that would be.” 0 likes
“She said better safe than sorry. I said, that is a cliché, but Mum said things are only clichés because they are universal truths.” 0 likes