The War of the Saints

The War of the Saints

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  381 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Jorge Amado has been called one of the great writers of our time.The joyfulness of his storytelling and his celebration of life's sensual pleasures have found him a loyal following.With The War Of The Saints,he has created an exuberant tale set among the flashing rhythms, intoxicating smells, and bewitching colors of the carnival. The holy icon of Saint Barbara of the Thun...more
Published February 1st 1995 by Dial Press Trade Paperback (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The War of the Saints, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The War of the Saints

PescePirata
Mi sono imbattuta in questo romanzo attirata dal titolo. Ad ogni temporale, mia nonna invocava Santa Barbara Benedetta che “tenesse lontano il tuono e la saetta”. Proprio questo ricordo, affacciatosi mentre prendevo in mano il libro, mi ha convita ad acquistarlo. E ho fatto bene! Un libro leggero per i contenuti, ma non tanto per la lunghezza (380 pagine!!!), che si leggono però tutto d’un fiato.

Silvia
This book tells the story of the Afro-Brazilian goddess Yansan (aka as Saint Barbara of Thunder) running away in the city of Bahia and changing the life of the people she visits. She arrives to Bahia as a statue of Saint Barbara and is scheduled to appear in a sacred art exhibit, but the statue walks away and starts having fun around town instead. The story is fun and imaginative, a mix of realism and fantasy, depicting European Christian vs. African traditions in Brazil, and is an interesting s...more
Barbara78e
Mi sono imbattuta in questo romanzo attirata dal titolo. Ad ogni temporale, mia nonna invocava Santa Barbara che “tenesse lontani tuoni e saette”. Proprio questo ricordo, affacciatosi mentre prendevo in mano il libro, mi ha convita ad acquistarlo. E ho fatto bene! Un libro leggero per i contenuti, ma non tanto per la lunghezza (380 pagine!!!), che si leggono però tutto d’un fiato.

Siamo a Bahaia, in Brasile, dove una statua di Santa Barbara arriva da un villaggio per un’esposizione di arte sacra....more
Carol
This warm, vivacious, fun novel is set in late 1960s Bahia, the capital city of the Brazilian region of the same name. A famous and antique statue of St. Barbara of the Thunder is due to arrive at the city's port so that it can be included in an important exhibition of sacred art. However, upon arrival, the statue miraculously comes to life and St. Barbara disappears into the city, where she has a profound affect on the lives of many people in the city. Among the effects of her actions and influ...more
زاهي رستم
بدايةً، إن رأيي لا يلزم أحداً.. وأنا أعتقد أن بعض الكتب هي من النوع المحلي.. لا تحقق فائدة بنشرها عالمياً.. فلكي تستمتع بهذا الكتاب، يجب أن تكون من سكان مدينة باهيا (المدينة التي تدور أحداث القصة بها).. أو على الأقل من المهتمين بالأدب اللاتيني.. وبصراحة كثرة استخدام الرواية لأسماء علم مركبة وكثيرة العدد(من أشخاص وأماكن وقديسين...)أحسست بأنني أقرأ دليل هاتف باهيا.. وهو السبب الذي جعلني أقرأها على مدى طويل نسبياً..
أرجو أن لا تكون باقي كتب أمادوا على غرار هذا الكتاب.. والأمل يحدوني بهذا لأنه ذكر أ...more
Denise
The religious repression and the many unethical Catholic priests portrayed, particularly in the early sections of the book, were unsettling to me. And I will admit that Amado's love of listing names of non-essential people throughout the book got aggravating at times but even the narrator tells us, "No one's obliged to read this book straight through." I did skip some (a lot) of the lists. Once I got into it, though, I really did like it very much.

Amado's conspiratorial storytelling style was ve...more
Peter
Despite its central premise -- valuable antique religious icon comes to life and things get wacky! -- this is far from your average South American magical realism novel. Though it shares some of the trappings of the genre, Amado has set his story in a real time and place and seamlessly integrates the magical aspects of the book with Brazil's troubled 20th century reality. Some of the book's many characters are more lifelike and compelling than others, and the story does get a tad long, but all i...more
M.eloisa
Si meriterebbe di più perché il libro è pieno di emozioni, di pathos, di sensualità, di magia e religione, di tutte quelle cose che ti aspetti quando leggi un romanzo ambientato in certe zone dell'America Latina (quasi fosse uno stereotipo). Perde però per lo stile di scrittura: altalenante, troppo discorsivo da far perdere il filo del discorso. Perde per l'enormità dei termini tecnici non spiegati se non attraverso altri termini tecnici. Davvero troppo.

Peccato, perché questo libro è stata una v...more
Mazel
Aug 09, 2009 Mazel marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: roman
Dans le Brésil du Nord-Est, le picaresque Antonio Balduino incarne la peine et les rêves du peuple noir.

Enfant perdu, mauvais garçon, boxeur professionnel, initié des " macumbas ", travailleur sur les plantations de tabac, docker, employé de cirque, Antonio cherche toujours " le chemin de la maison " .

Il a des amours - irréelles - avec la blanche Lindinalva et une liaison avec la trépidante Rosenda Roseda.

Une grève lui permettra de découvrir ce qu'est la solidarité et donnera un sens à sa vie...more
Juana "Darkness" Duran
The War of the Saints by Jorge Amado. This book was about Saint Barbara of the Thunder. She has come to life and is now roaming free in the city of Bahai. Saint Barbara has found in an injustice in which a young girl is in love but her aunt won't let her see the young man. So Barbara sets a spell over the city to help the young girl and the love of her life. Who knows what kind of other help the Saint Barbara will do while performing her miracles all over the city. But her greatness was known be...more
Kellyann
despite an overabundance of Afro-Brazilian phrases requiring clarification, this is one of the liveliest novels I've ever read. makes me want to head to Bahia! i'm a fan of this author's asides spoken directly to the reader, often commenting on exactly what you're thinking at that moment in the story. i'm fascinated by the collision of Christianity and other religions, namely those that are more "obscure" (for lack of a better word) such as occurs throughout this story.
Patty
I read Dona Flor and her Two Husbands by Jorge Amado and it was one of the best books ever so I had high hopes for The War of the Saints. Unfortunately it was not translated by the same person who did such a magnifcent job with Flor. The prose in Saints was very awkward, it read like a 3rd rate translation. I had to force myself to finish it.
Alice
I'd like to find something by this author that's shorter. I liked his sense of humor (and reference to "the author" in the book), I liked the cultural references and the feeling of really being in Bahia. But, I found the book to be really tedious. Probably due to the constant use of candomble terms and reference to women's body parts.
Rmorgan1
read ANYTHING by this brilliant Brazilian author, he wrote over 90 novels....I would recommend to anyone, he's contemporary and sadly just passed in the early 90's but his books tell the tales of Brazil's fascinating history, particularly on the cocau coast (chocolate region)
John
This is a lovely little book and a grand example of magic realism. The story is simple, but it makes clear that love and faith are every bit as real stone or wood -- and that emotions are the cause of much change we see in the physical world.
Blair
eh. entertaining enough that i made it to the end. mostly good for rekindling an interest in orixás and bahia, but anything jorge amado writes is just an excuse to profess his love for a romanticized bahia.
Victoria
I tried, I just could not get into this book. Too bad. He is a fabulous author.
The other books I read by him were translated beautifully. This was a bit too awkward. Sorry!
Keith
Oct 02, 2010 Keith added it
Took a while to get into the writing style but that always seems to be the case for me with the magical realism genre. Maybe if I could have read it in the original Portuguese...
Sandra
Bello! Ho fatto un viaggio in Brasile, tra i colori, le feste, i balli. Indimenticabili i personaggi di Adalgisa e Danilo e il racconto della loro prima notte di nozze.

Brett Byron
The statue of Saint Barbara comes to life during a Brazilian in this sensuous and exuberant novel about the battle between the sacred and the profane.
Gabriel
"La desaparición de la santa", en español. Un relato mágico de Jorge Amado, donde mezcla santería y catolicismo; realismo y fantasía; historia y ficción.
Robin D'hooge
Schelmenroman zonder verrassingen, maar een beeld van een samenleving uit een andere eeuw dat helpt om Salvador vandaag een beetje beter te begrijpen.
Char
Apr 10, 2009 Char marked it as to-read
Just couldn't get into this book at this time. Moving it bake to the to read shelf. I think it is worth a second attempt - in the future.
Rachel Jones
I tried, I just could not get into this book. Too bad, because I normally adore Latin fiction.
Jana
I think this is my favorite book by my favorite Brazilian author, but I love them all....
Ash
A tad lengthy but a lively fabulous read nonetheless. Love his style.
Ariel
I've loved this book for so long that I barely trust my judgment of it anymore.
dianne budd
the best introduction to Candoble one could have from afar.
Invoke Oya!
Urenna Sander
My first book by Jorge Amado. Interesting reading.
Ruben
More magical realism from South America.
  • The Silence of the Rain
  • Uomini e no
  • Quincas Borba
  • Ain't Nobody's Business if You Do: The Absurdity of Consensual Crimes in a Free Society
  • L'arte della gioia
  • Heliopolis
  • Yesterday
  • Original Self: Living with Paradox and Originality
  • Seeking God: The Way of St. Benedict  Second Edition
Jorge Amado de Faria was a Brazilian writer of the Modernist school. He was the best-known of modern Brazilian writers, his extensive work having been translated into some 30 languages and popularized in film, notably Dona Flor and her Two Husbands, (in Portuguese, Dona Flor e Seus Dois Maridos) in 1978. His work dealt largely with the poor urban black and mulatto communities of Bahia.
(Wikipedia)
More about Jorge Amado...
Capitães da Areia Dona Flor and Her Two Husbands Gabriela, Clavo y Canela O Gato Malhado e a Andorinha Sinhá: Uma História de Amor Mar Morto