Start by marking “The Homing” as Want to Read:
The Homing

John Saul

The Homing

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  2,569 ratings  ·  82 reviews
Karen, a young widow, and her daughters are returning to her hometown, where Karen plans to marry her high school sweetheart. But her bliss soon turns to terror, because something has gone horribly wrong with Mother Nature in peaceful Pleasant Valley. An unearthly swarm is possessing the bodies and minds of youngsters. From the author of Guardian. HC: Fawcett.
389 pages
Published August 18th 1994 by Bantam (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Homing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Homing

Heather
It was okay. I felt like it left a lot of questions unanswered, though. For example: What happened to the infected coyote? Why did Julie get all distended and disgusting? Was it just because she was the queen, and all queens of insects are bigger than the others? Why was she the queen? Was it b/c she was infected first? Why were the infected chicks always naked, but the dudes weren't? If the other girl (Sarah?) would've gotten to the group, would've she been another queen, or something else b/c ...more
Mikesawin Sawin
Well. This is a book with a lot of writing in it. I've had a lot of folks recommend John Saul's stuff to me over the years, so when I saw this at a garage sale for 50 cents, I picked it up.

Not a great book. And it's not for the squeamish. I will say that the writing style is very fluid, and I was able to finish this in an afternoon. I didn't really care for the characters that much, and I wasn't invested in the story, either.

But the author keeps things moving, and the result is what I call a "
Jakob
The purpose of The Homing is to entertain. This is evident in telling of a fictional story. John Saul presents all the classical components, including setting, plot, and conflict. This book was written as a narration. It is told from a third person omniscient perspective. The theme is not to let personal trauma turn towards others. If the antagonist had sought a way to properly handle their emotional issues and impulses, the biggest conflict in this story would be a love triangle.

I appreciate th
Deana M
If you do not like bugs or the thought of swarms of bugs, do not read this book. The only reason I finished this book, is because once I am committed to something I see it through. This book was disturbing on so many levels.
Cataline
I really enjoyed the plotting of the book, the immense detail and characters. I must say however that I was extremely disappointed in the ending, but hey that's just me others may find it the only solution writable.
Hatchetgabby
Very good,fast paced,the more i read the more nerve racking it got.I'm a huge bug lover and even i wanted to scream GAH! KILL IT! KILL IT!
Rissy
Wendy
I've read a lot of John Saul books and liked them to varying degrees, but not this one. I hate to give a bad review, but by the time I finished, I wished I hadn't bothered. I kept waiting for it to get better and redeem itself, or at least answer some questions, but it never did.
S.L. Dixon
That had some pretty fun moments and I really liked the idea, but it lacked explanation.
I am ready to go along with any wild unrealistic act so long as there's an explanation, but here the explanation didn't cut it.
Fun book and a nice easy read. It wasn't difficult to enjoy on a moderate level.
Kingsley Adrian
Left a lot of loose ends at the end but it was a really creepy read though Saul knows how to be formulaic well.
Andrea Zsigmond
A stroll down memory lane...reading horror novels on summer vacation. Not as much fun as it used to be :)
Kelly
I used to be a HUGE fan of John Saul back in middle and high school. So I am slightly disappointed to find that I'm not nearly as enthused by his writing today, as I go back and reread a few of my old faves. The Homing was just so-so. It was too long and repetitive for my taste, but not terrible. I still want to reread a few of Saul's others, just for old time's sake... especially The Unloved, as I remember it being dark and creepy and was my favorite book at the time!
Ashley
This was the first Saul book that I read and I thought that it was pretty creepy. The main thing that stuck with me after all these years was the girl unable to vaccumm so she swept the entire room as the bugs in her head couldn't handle the noise. (Note to others: This excuse doesn't go far with your mom in real life and actually gets your fussed at and told to stay out of your brother's books.)
Other than that "scene", there is not much that I recall about the novel except that I like it quite
Lena C.
Loved this story and the way they use the bees.
Tammy
This book was disappointing for a John Saul story. I'm really stretching it by giving it a three star. It took me so long to read it because it was so boring and didn't hold my interest that much. I don't like to start a book and then not finish it. If I did this would have been one of them. There were some good parts so it's not a total disaster but I was expecting more coming from John Saul. Maybe if I would have payed more attention in science class and understood more about insects the story ...more
Katrin
Very creepy! Made me shiver.
Michelle
Creepy....I loved it
Christoph Segers
Goede personageschets, maar een ietwat slordig plot waardoor het wat afgehaspeld overkomt naar het einde toe. Het stoort me dat er heel wat mensen het boek maar één ster geven omdat het 'griezelig' is, maar dat weet je op voorhand: Saul schrijft nu eenmaal, zoals Herbert, horrorboeken. En dat is het, niets meer, maar zeker ook niets minder. Goed binnen zijn genre, maar in tegenstelling tot het betere King-werk, ook enkel goed binnen dat genre. Perfect leesvoer als je de griep hebt in de zetel on ...more
Tanya Eby
I don't usually get to narrate horror titles, so this was a delightful change of pace for me. It's creepy and crawly and so much fun (the way that scary clowns and creepy dolls are fun). It's filled with bugs, bees, mayhem, and possessed teenagers and other twists and turns. What a fun little piece to get your adrenaline going. I hate bugs so I was trying very hard not to scratch and wiggle while narrating this. I (mostly) succeeded. Had a blast reading this.
Kelly Robson
I read this after a friend of mine recommended it. I honestly didn't think I'd like it because I hate bees and other creepy crawlies. I was surprised to find that I couldn't stop reading it even though it made me feel creeped out at times, I really enjoyed it. John Saul isn't as easy to get a hold of in England but we have loads of charity shops so I will keep on looking to see if I can find anymore of his work.
Allison
Not terribly great to my disappointment. It had a really interesting concept though. I also didn't find myself thinking the book was obvious and easy to figure out.
Not my favorite John Saul book. If I had to guess, I'd say it was an earlier release.
I wouldn't say "Don't read this". It was worth my time. But I'm not going to run up and down the streets recommending it to people.
Kyle Morris
Scary.. and imaginative!! This is the one that I liked most of Saul's.

Love all of John Saul's books. He focuses on teenagers, at least all the books of his that I've read were that way. I empathized with his lead characters because I always feel like an outsider, which his characters always wind up being. Saul mixes it all up with some Sci-fi to boot.
Debra
This is definitely a pretty creepy book, but the horror scenes were most graphic at the beginning. I don't like Stephen king because I think his novels are too graphic, but I enjoyed this book. It was tense, and a quick read. I kept wanting to see what would happen next.

If you don't like bugs, though, stay away!
Kahshan
It was an alright read. It was entertaining but the other John Saul books were (much) better.
The insects in this book was a great addition. The ending seemed to be forced and I did not really felt close to most of the chacracters. Molly on the other hand seems like a cute little sister everybody wants to have :)
Rachel
This book was horrible; I had to skip several pages due to becoming squemish. I hate bugs. I found this novel a disappointment, because I usually like his books. If this had been my first time reading one of his books, I never would have read another. I was also very disappointed that the antagonist wasn't a surprise.
Lisa
Feb 13, 2009 Lisa rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: x-files/smallville fans
I really liked reading John Saul when I was in jr high/high school. The writing isn't the greatest, but they're entertaining. They often involve genetic mutation/disasters (on a small scale) that happen because of people interfering with nature. Think Smallville's episodes involving "meteor freaks" or X-Files.
Heather
Because I read so much, I tend to forget details and such but I can usually remember the "main" storyline. This one, I cannot but I do remember one part that was just so stupid and gross and it made me hate this book. I love John Saul, don't get me wrong, I just hated this book.
☯Bettie☯
A change of genre is always ::A:Good:Thing::

If bugs bug you then this read is not for you!

I have a few other Saul's in my goodie bag, however he does seem to teeter on the high 2, low 3 mark for me.

#51 TBR Busting 2013

3* Perfect Nightmare
2* The Homing
3* Sleepwalk
Mae
As always John Saul writes an amazing suspenseful story that will make you want to keep turning the page. His mind works magic as he takes everyday life and twist it with an unimaginable twist. Great read as always when it comes to John Saul.
Steve Schlutow
This was an interesting book.. I liked it.. I haven't read a book like this, since I read The Swarm umpteen years ago (back in '81--ok, a few umpteen years ago).. It is definitely a creepy book, not for a reader who does not like bugs..
  • Winter Moon
  • Mutation
  • Transgressions: Volume 2
  • The Association
  • The Forbidden Zone
John Saul was born in Pasadena, California on February 25, 1942, and grew up in Whittier where he graduated from Whittier High School in 1959. He attended several colleges—Antioch, in Ohio, Cerritos, in Norwalk, California, Montana State University and San Francisco State College, variously majoring in anthropology, liberal arts, and theater, but never obtaining a degree.
After leaving college, he