Start by marking “How to Boil a Flamingo: And 49 Other Lessons in the Lost Art of Being a Lady” as Want to Read:
How to Boil a Flamingo: And 49 Other Lessons in the Lost Art of Being a Lady

How to Boil a Flamingo: And 49 Other Lessons in the Lost Art of Being a Lady

2.8 of 5 stars 2.80  ·  rating details  ·  15 ratings  ·  5 reviews
An elegant tome fit for all ladies, this volume provides necessary advice, wisdom, and guidance on the essential art of being a lady. For those unfortunate enough not to be a lady by birth, authors Allison Vale and Alison Rattle offer the assembled wisdom of generations of women for the benefit of such poor lost souls. They suggest that after a perusal of the pages herein, ...more
Published October 1st 2007 by Prion

To ask other readers questions about How to Boil a Flamingo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Boil a Flamingo

Sara
Well, this looked awesome from the cover.
It was an inedible menagerie of tips and tricks ranging from the middle ages to the Edwardian era. If you read any historical fiction you already know them, and if you don't read historical fiction, they are of zero use to you.
They try to pass this off as a real historically accurate self-help book, which is ruined in two ways. One, they cite actual historical sources at the end of each 'lesson' which kills the effect ("Inspired by the murder trial of so-
Jay
I now know I how to boil a flamingo! Hooray! Now I just need a flamingo to boil.

This is a tongue-in-cheek look at years gone past on how to act and look like an upper class woman. It focuses predominately on the late-16th to mid-19th centuries, taking its advice from books written during the periods. Each chapter details where the advice came from.

It would have been better, I believe, if the chapters were put into some kind of order. We have housekeeping, then birthing babies and finding a husba
Julie
Based on the title, I expected a tongue in cheek tone-sort of a grace under pressure handbook, but it is quite literally a collection of instructions on how to be a lady in the past. There is a reason hobble skirts got tossed on the rubbish heap, such contraptions/conventions slowed us down. Although I do often wish I was not expected to acknowledge persons to whom I have not been introduced!
Holly Troup
rather pretentious, somewhat tedious
Rebecca
Very Silly
Magali
Magali marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Andrea Schulte
Andrea Schulte marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Camilla
Camilla is currently reading it
Jan 03, 2015
Marie Antoinette
Marie Antoinette marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Catrina Davidson
Catrina Davidson marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Raven
Raven marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Bella Baldwin
Bella Baldwin is currently reading it
Jul 01, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Carlisle
Carlisle is currently reading it
Mar 02, 2014
Gayathri
Gayathri marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Kerry
Kerry added it
Dec 27, 2013
Mickytorres
Mickytorres marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2013
Rikke
Rikke marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Silje
Silje marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2011
Sylvin
Sylvin added it
Jul 04, 2011
Amanda Lee
Amanda Lee marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2011
Sylvin
Sylvin added it
Jun 09, 2011
Remember the Alamo How to Push a Perambulator: 50 Lessons in the Lost Art of Motherhood Wrinklies Wit And Wisdom Forever The Big Book of Mothers' Wit & Wisdom Now We Are Past It