Start by marking “Compilers: Principles, Techniques, & Tools with Gradiance (pkg)” as Want to Read:
Compilers: Principles, Techniques, & Tools with Gradiance (pkg)

Compilers: Principles, Techniques, & Tools with Gradiance (pkg)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  1,786 ratings  ·  33 reviews
This book provides the foundation for understanding the theory and pracitce of compilers. Revised and updated, it reflects the current state of compilation. Every chapter has been completely revised to reflect developments in software engineering, programming languages, and computer architecture that have occurred since 1986, when the last edition published. The authors, r ...more
Hardcover, Second Edition, 1023 pages
Published October 15th 2007 by Addison Wesley (first published January 1st 1986)

Ben Haley
The notorious dragon book shows us the manifold concerns surrounding the translation of high-level programming languages down to the binary codes palatable by machine hardware. Where computer organization and design showed the rock bottom of computing, Aho has built a submarine necessary to descending to those depths. This allegorical submarine is old and sometimes creaky, but its iron hull shows no sign of breaking up despite the rapid changes happening on the surface.
There are certain books that everyone (in a relevant technical field) knows. Baby Rudin, CLR, Patterson-Hennessy, Golub and Van Loan, and Kernighan and Ritchie are all fine examples. The Dragon Book is another fine example, despite this odd reputation it has for being too dryly theoretical. We used it when I took compilers, and I've used it as a reference for myself when working on or teaching about compilers and interpreters. When I taught compilers, we used Appel's Modern Compiler Implementati ...more
Meat and potatoes for any aspiring software engineer.

Despite its age, this book still gives a fairly solid understanding of parser, compiler and optimisation techniques.
Its pretty dry, and heavy reading, but it shows you techniques you'll still be referring back to years later
Scott King
I took "Compilers", otherwise known as CS444, at the University of Waterloo over 20 years ago. What a fantastic course and a fantastic book! We worked in teams of 3 or 4 and developed a full-fledged compiler in one frantic term. I remember the sleepless nights (literally) leading up to the deadline, staying up probably 72 hours straight to get the last few bugs out. But it worked! The book was excellent and helped us all figure out what to do.
Mike Vollmer
This is the definitive compilers text. Just mention "The Dragon Book" to any computer scientist and they will instantly know you're referring to this legendary book. It's not easy reading, but it does everything a good, advanced textbook or reference book should do: it is succinct, complete, and holds no punches.
James Dixson
I have in fact read this book cover to cover. The modeling of Regex parsing in terms of language is among the most fundamental insights and transformative in my understanding of computer systems.
El famoso "libro del dragón". Uno de los libros que sin duda cambió por completo mi forma de pensar en informática, y no sólo en términos del diseño y la implementación de compiladores.
Jie Fu
I read this classic book years ago for preparing for GRE Subtest
Koen Crolla
Damned boring. The Dragon Book is one of those ones that shows up on everyone's Top \d+ CS/Dev Books list, but it's one of the ones that are there because you're supposed to be impressed with the implication that the list-maker got all the way through it, not because it's genuinely great.
It has all the information you need to write a functioning compiler for almost any kind of language you'd want to write a compiler for,† it just lays that information out in the dullest, most laborious way possi
The renowned Dragon-Book. I'm happy to own the original 1986 edition with the red dragon and the knight on its cover. The cover of the newer edition (2006) is pretty dull.

I read this as part of my studies in computer-science way back when. Some people might tell you it's rather theoretical, but I don't think so. It has sparked my interest in compiler construction, formal languages and more. This interest never left me, so you can say this book was kind of a life changing read.

Update Dec.21 2014
This is probably a 5 star book but I will admit it was over my head so I probably will appreciate it more as I grow in compiler knowledge. It's very definitive and many scholars point to this book. You need some basic prerequisite math and programming to understand this. I viewed it as a great overview of a subject I knew little about. I skipped a lot, used youtube when the water was to deep and glossed over a lot of details. This is a good reference to buy and keep on your shelf. Its to heavy t ...more
Not necessarily the easiest book to read, but a good treatment of compiler and optimiser design. Although the (computer) language is dated, and there are other books that deal with more modern languages, nevertheless this gives a good foundation for understanding the issues and algorithms involved in developing programs to parse languages.
Jeremy Frens
This is easily the most overrated textbook. In any discipline. Get Engineering a Compiler instead.
The Dragon Book - a classic! This was the text book for my "Compiler Theory" class in college (many many years ago!). This was the text book from which I learned how to use a finite state machine to compile a language given its grammar.
I was worried that this book would be entirely over my head, but in fact, it's very clearly written and easy to follow. The section of data flow analysis in service of optimization gets a little bit dense, though.
Zachary Marsden
Did not read the new chapters on optimization (read the rest of the book however). Helped clear up some things when I took Compilers in college. I feel that Louden's book is significantly better for the beginner though.
Alexander Ptakhin
Basis for compiler mammonths. TL DR. Return to 9 chapter.
Max Perepelitsyn
Great classic compiler textbook. Though I think it serves much better if it's not the first compiler book for the reader and/or the reader has some experience in the field.
The classic book on compilers. The edition that I read is a bit outdated compared to current compiler technology, but the foundations are solid.
Read this book long time back. Good book to understand compiler internals and code optimizations that happen under the hood.
One of the handiest computer science books I own! Very well written and accessible for what could be exceedingly dry material.
Good for theoretical view, but not enough for compiler development. Btw, don't use it as your first compiler book.
Snoopy Brasil
Leitura ruim e apresenta erros no texto/pseudocódigos. Embora seja o clássico, escolha outro livro sobre o assunto.
Jan 07, 2013 Melissa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inner-nerd
I think that this will be one of my next reads since the reviews for this book look great.
Mostafa El-Abady
The textBook for Compilers' Course.

covered chapters 1...9.

Not Bad Not Good Book.
Christian Kotz
Still probably the best general textbook on compiler design I know.
The manual on compiler design.
como puedo descargar este libro
  • Types and Programming Languages
  • Purely Functional Data Structures
  • Modern Operating Systems
  • Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs (MIT Electrical Engineering and Computer Science)
  • Concepts, Techniques, and Models of Computer Programming
  • The Practice of Programming
  • Real World Haskell: Code You Can Believe In
  • Hacker's Delight

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »