Start by marking “Aristotle Detective” as Want to Read:
Aristotle Detective

Aristotle Detective (Aristotle #1)

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  271 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Athens 332 BC - a city uneasy under the sway of the Macedonian Alexander the Great, now fighting he King of Persia for control of the East. In this time of fresh ambition and furtive discontent, an eminent citizen is brutally murdered.

Young Philemon, an exile formerly guilty of manslaughter is accused of the bizarre homicide. IN his absence his cousin and nearest male rela
Published May 2nd 2002 by Arrow Books Limited (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Aristotle Detective, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aristotle Detective

Andrew
A particular crime novel, set in the streets of ancient Athens, during the expansion of Alexander the Great. While Stefanos, young and inexperienced, as the eldest son of his late father Nichiarco, tries to fulfill his duties with regard to the family, finds himself having to defend his cousin charged with the murder of the rich Buotades. Being in trouble, decide to seek help from his old teacher, Aristotle. So begins a race against time to prove the innocence of his cousin, but at the same time ...more
Whitelady3
I've stumbled upon this book by chance, as when making an online purchase I was offered the second volume of this series. As I do not like to read series starting by the middle, namely in this genre as, though not always the older cases are needed to understand the background of characters, there are some mentions from time to time that help to understand more of the stories. It happened to me once, while reading Steven Saylor's A Murder on the Apian Way, and since then I always try to read a se ...more
Heather Antoy Stephenson
Very witty novel, I look forward to reading the second!
Donna
For the first half of this book, Aristotle is a detective in the same way as Nero Wolfe--detecting from his armchair. Later he goes out to seek some answers himself. Stephanos, his former student, is the active participant in the detecting. Lots of philosophical points made, if you can catch them; e.g., at one point Aristotle says, "If Philemon did not do it, someone in the class non-Philemon did it." That's Aristotle all right -- proving theorems and building hypotheses.
Rachel Hawes
This was marvellous. I love detective stories and I especially love detective stories set in well researched history. As a Classicist by formal eduction I've been looking for something set in Ancient Athens for a while.

This ticks all boxes - and the best thing? It's the first of a series :)
Kris
The first in a series set in Classical Athens where the philosopher Aristotle investigates mysteries with his young friend, Stephanos. Excellent historical research, engaging characters, interesting mysteries.
Hayes
Nov 09, 2010 Hayes rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Bettie's next!
Shelves: read-in-2010
3.5 Stars... fun and well written. The series looks promising. Will definitely continue.
GONZA
Libro consigliato dispiace parlarne male, diciamo però che forse non mi sorbirò gli altri della serie, che sembra parecchio consistente. Questo è comunque il primo, ambientato negli anni di Aristotele appunto, con Alessandro Magno che scorrazza per l'Asia Minore e Dario che è appena stato sconfitto.
Non sono assolutamente in grado di verificare che ci siano stati degli errori nel descrivere quella che poteva essere l'Atene di quegli anni, ma sembra comunque che tutto sommato, circa 2500 anni dop
Xkander
Giallo storico di ottima qualità, con un'ambientazione curata e credibile, Atene ormai all'inizio della sua decadenza e il grande Alessandro impegnato nella conquista dell'Impero Persiano.
Aristotele nei panni di un detective probabilmente è una forzatura, ma è corretto riportare a lui tutti gli epigoni della logica deduttiva, da Sherlock Holmes in poi.
Nel romanzo della Doody lo stagirita rimane sempre dietro le quinte, più come Nero Wolfe che come Holmes, mentre il protagonista Stefanos è il f
Catherine Mayo
Stephanos is a naïve young Athenian in a tight position. His father has recently died; his only surviving male relative, Philemon has fled into exile after killing a man in a fight; his property is encumbered by a debt he can’t repay; he has a house full of women to support and little to manage it with. When cousin Philemon is accused of a murder that Stephanos has stumbled upon by accident one morning, Stephanos must dodge the charge of collusion while assuming the role of defender, lining hims ...more
Sara
Atenas, 332 A.C., uma cidade dominada por Alexandre o Grande. Uma cidade onde se acentuam as diferenças sociais e onde ocorre um brutal assassinato, cuja resolução é levada a cabo pelo jovem Estefano auxiliado pela mente brilhante de Aristóteles.

Uma história de intriga, política e sobrevivência social onde provar a inocência é um desafio não só interior como perante todos os que abafam todo o mistério, senhores cuja posição em Atenas pesa Ouro e que tudo fazem para esconder segredos que pensaram
Jason Lockwood
A fun read set in Aristotle's Greece. It requires some knowledge of Classical Greece, just to understand the context. I look forward to reading the other novels in the series.
John
Mystery set in ancient Athens with Aristotle supplying the logic and directions for his former student who is defending his cousin, charged with murder! Clever premise and interesting view of life in ancient times.
Panagiotis
Ένα ευχάριστο αστυνομικό τοποθετημένο στην Αθήνα του 4ου αιώνα π.Χ. με σωστή αναπαράσταση εποχής και χωρλις ιστορικές στρεβλώσεις, με ωραία πλοκή και σασπένς. Ο Αριστοτέλης σε ρόλο Πουαρώ και ο νεαρός πρωταγωνιστής ένας ευχάριστος Χάστινγκς λύνουν μια υπόθεση που τα έχει όλα ή σχεδόν όλα.
Raku
A murder mystery set in ancient Greece -- featuring Aristotle. What's not to love?
J. Turner
An Elegant little detective novel.
Margareth8537
Very entertaining story with fascinating characters
Beatrice Cumino
Jul 04, 2014 Beatrice Cumino rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Beatrice by: school
I read this book and I loved every page of it! Just beautiful and very interisting .
I think this book is write in a way that make you addicted to its pages.
Alex
Having missed the vast majority of references and allusions, suitable appreciation of this book is precluded by my ignorance of ancient Greece. One could spend hours looking up terms and names, if only those for different kinds of pots, let alone what it would take to check the myriad of myths and legends. It speaks for the book that this ignorance is not an impediment to enjoyment. I should read it again with a classical encyclopedia at hand.
Kristi Thompson
Nice little historical mystery. Very well researched as to period, and the Aristotle portrait was plausible, if not quite as I'd imagine him. I've always rather liked Aristotle.

I also quite liked the narrator who played watson - not a major "character part" like Aristotle, but a nice young fellow. Good portrait of athenian home life.
Carey Combe
Just wasn't the slightest bit interested in the characters, nothing about this story had me gripped. Guessed the murderer very quickly and just couldn't be bothered to read on to see how it was resolved.
Selina Jones
I'm not totally sure why I didn't like this more...murder and mystery in ancient Athens. I can only conclude that it was perhaps a little too dry. But a very interesting plot.
Chiara aka la viandante dei libri
La Filosofia calata nel quotidiano. Un grande libro che mi ha riavvicinato al passato. Da leggere tutto d'un fiato.
Rhonda Hankins
goofy pretext, but it's readable and heck, why not let aristotle play detective and solve the crime.
Ana
Aug 01, 2014 Ana rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People that have insomnia
Ritmo muito lento...
☯Bettie☯
Mar 06, 2014 ☯Bettie☯ rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Posting on to Carey then Clare
Recommended to ☯Bettie☯ by: Pressie from Hayes :O)
Ddw402
Ddw402 added it
Dec 22, 2014
Brainx
Brainx marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Taswa
Taswa marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Its OLD School – ...: Detectives of the ancient world 5 9 Oct 28, 2014 10:58PM
  • The Pericles Commission (The Athenian Mysteries, #1)
  • Ovid (Marcus Corvinus, #1)
  • One Virgin Too Many (Marcus Didius Falco, #11)
  • Morti di carta
  • Rounding the Mark (Inspector Montalbano, #7)
  • Roman Games: A Plinius Secundus Mystery
Aka Margaret Anne Doody

Margaret Anne Doody (born 1939) is a professor of literature at the University of Notre Dame, and helped found the PhD in Literature Program at Notre Dame (http://www.nd.edu/~litprog). She served as its director from 2001-2007. Joseph Buttigieg has since become director.

Although historical detective stories are now a flourishing genre, with Steven Saylor and Lindsey Davis be
More about Margaret Doody...
Aristotle and Poetic Justice Aristotele e il giavellotto fatale Mysteries Of Eleusis Aristotle and the Secrets of Life Poison In Athens